Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a whiny sound in second gear, but as far as I can tell that's normal for stick shift cars and especially Subarus. I haven't noticed whines in other gears, but my hearing is shot.

Recently, I am having more trouble than normal putting the car in reverse - would transmission mounts or linkage kits help, or am I doomed to look like a goof rocking the car back and forth and hoping that this time is the one where the car will go into R? I know reverse is unsynchronized, but there must be something that helps.

e: I should note that I rolled over 56.4k km this weekend, and have a 50-50 mix of shockproof and Redline MT90. My rear diff is still original fluids.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
If you haven't done so yet (and you have 30k+ miles on the car) change out the transmission and rear diff fluids with a good synthetic. Made a big difference for me when I did. Car shifts much smoother now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Nope, 16k miles only. Happens in all gears. 1 and 3 are the worst thoug.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Walked posted:

Nope, 16k miles only. Happens in all gears. 1 and 3 are the worst thoug.

I would take it into the dealer to have them take a look at it then.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ohsnap

I realized it happens when not in gear too.

and its LOUD when the hood is popped.
and youtube has videos labelled "spun bearing" and they sound identicle!

flatbed on the way.

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009
I have a 99 Legacy Outback with 122K miles. My problem is with the a/c. The compressor will cycle on and off about every 7 seconds when I apply the throttle (i.e. normal driving). It will stay on if the car is idling. I do not have a set of manifold gauges, only a low pressure gauge and it is within specs. The center vent will blow out ~40 degree air when the compressor is on. I have checked numerous Subaru forums but I either get a "it's a normal Subie thing" or an automatic climate control issue, which I do not have. I have tried jumping the pressure switch on the reciever drier, but that does not work. Has anyone experienced this problem? I am reluctant to send it to the shop due to money issues.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Osmium Tetroxide posted:

A/C Blows

I'm sure you already checked this, but is the drive belt to the a/c compressor properly tightened? And not TOO tight?

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Just went to the new Subaru dealership in the DFW are yesterday. Sewell, it used to be Hummer. Finally found a competent and helpful Subaru operation. The tech I worked with Mark was awesome. I think he used to work at SoP. I think this is a good option for those in the area.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

ohsnap

I realized it happens when not in gear too.

and its LOUD when the hood is popped.
and youtube has videos labelled "spun bearing" and they sound identicle!

flatbed on the way.

Engine's toast; 300miles post-purchase, rad. Dealership said theyre doing a full teardown and having the Regional Manager review the claim, and said it'd be a week before I know what the story is. They already asked about abuse, and refused a loaner.

gently caress THAT - I just had it towed to a dealership with a good reputation; already got a tech lined up and ready to get me sorted. Christ.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

(((k))) posted:

Just went to the new Subaru dealership in the DFW are yesterday. Sewell, it used to be Hummer. Finally found a competent and helpful Subaru operation. The tech I worked with Mark was awesome. I think he used to work at SoP. I think this is a good option for those in the area.

That's good to know. I've been going to SoP for little odds and ends because the parts guys would usually give me a discount, but it's not even remotely close to me since I moved a few months ago.

I'd *heard things* about SoP from other guys around here as well (firing techs, just general shittiness) but I've never really dealt with them beyond "Hi, I need some crush washers."

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009

Amandyke posted:

I'm sure you already checked this, but is the drive belt to the a/c compressor properly tightened? And not TOO tight?

Well, I do feel pretty stupid, because I haven't checked that. Thanks. Will check today.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Walked posted:

Engine's toast; 300miles post-purchase, rad. Dealership said theyre doing a full teardown and having the Regional Manager review the claim, and said it'd be a week before I know what the story is. They already asked about abuse, and refused a loaner.

gently caress THAT - I just had it towed to a dealership with a good reputation; already got a tech lined up and ready to get me sorted. Christ.

drat, that sucks.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Check out these threads if you haven't yet....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695936

Early 2009 WRX's have a bearing problem or something similar that cause them to blow their engines with very low mileage. Check the build date on your car and see if it falls into the known timeframe for the issue. You can find all the info you need in those threads. By this time, SoA and most dealerships who aren't crooks know of the problem.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Check out these threads if you haven't yet....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695936

Early 2009 WRX's have a bearing problem or something similar that cause them to blow their engines with very low mileage. Check the build date on your car and see if it falls into the known timeframe for the issue. You can find all the info you need in those threads. By this time, SoA and most dealerships who aren't crooks know of the problem.

Ohhh, I've already posted extensively in a couple of those. I'm an 07/08 build date and affected.

Actually found the dealership who I towed the car to via NASIOC. Theyve been loving on the ball and A+ to me so far; no loving accusations!

Theyre looking at it and hoping to have a longblock ordered for me tomorrow.

It sucks so much that I cant use a dealership thats 1.5miles from my front door, and instead am using one nearly 70miles away.

But I'll pay that inconvenience to ensure I've got competent techs, and service writers who dont try to gently caress me over.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Walked posted:

Ohhh, I've already posted extensively in a couple of those. I'm an 07/08 build date and affected.

Actually found the dealership who I towed the car to via NASIOC. Theyve been loving on the ball and A+ to me so far; no loving accusations!

Theyre looking at it and hoping to have a longblock ordered for me tomorrow.

It sucks so much that I cant use a dealership thats 1.5miles from my front door, and instead am using one nearly 70miles away.

But I'll pay that inconvenience to ensure I've got competent techs, and service writers who dont try to gently caress me over.

Depending on how much you want to pursue it, i'd give Subaru of America a call and let them know about the situation with that other dealership. If there's a widely known issue with a specific time frame etc etc etc, the dealer should be more than happy to take your car in and fix it for you. That's what they get paid for. Subaru reimburses their time and costs for the repair, so it's as if you paid for it out of pocket. They should be happy to get the work.

Who knows, maybe you can get some sort of perk out of Subaru for having to inconvenience yourself an hour plus drive to get your car fixed. I know I'd be on the phone, but then again I enjoy seeing what I can get companies to give me...

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Depending on how much you want to pursue it, i'd give Subaru of America a call and let them know about the situation with that other dealership. If there's a widely known issue with a specific time frame etc etc etc, the dealer should be more than happy to take your car in and fix it for you. That's what they get paid for. Subaru reimburses their time and costs for the repair, so it's as if you paid for it out of pocket. They should be happy to get the work.

Who knows, maybe you can get some sort of perk out of Subaru for having to inconvenience yourself an hour plus drive to get your car fixed. I know I'd be on the phone, but then again I enjoy seeing what I can get companies to give me...

Oh... dont wory. Subaru is paying me back for my tow to the other dealership, and I'm still talking to them!

I'm not going to let it slide; but my immediate focus is my car back.

edit: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372&page=173 My saga starts like 3-4pages down.

Walked fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 23, 2010

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

Osmium Tetroxide posted:

I have a 99 Legacy Outback with 122K miles. My problem is with the a/c. The compressor will cycle on and off about every 7 seconds when I apply the throttle (i.e. normal driving). It will stay on if the car is idling. I do not have a set of manifold gauges, only a low pressure gauge and it is within specs. The center vent will blow out ~40 degree air when the compressor is on. I have checked numerous Subaru forums but I either get a "it's a normal Subie thing" or an automatic climate control issue, which I do not have. I have tried jumping the pressure switch on the reciever drier, but that does not work. Has anyone experienced this problem? I am reluctant to send it to the shop due to money issues.

Mine does the exact same thing. Same car, almost the same mileage.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
Yippee! Another niggle to fix on the ol' Impreza...

The adjuster on the back of my left headlight (Bug eye, HID) is broken and I can't move the beam up/down. Electric adjustment still works fine, does anyone know if you can scavenge parts from another light to fix the adjuster? Cheers

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Walked posted:

Oh... dont wory. Subaru is paying me back for my tow to the other dealership, and I'm still talking to them!

I'm not going to let it slide; but my immediate focus is my car back.

edit: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372&page=173 My saga starts like 3-4pages down.

That's cool how somebody on the forum is helping you out. :)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Metal in the oilpan! Hooray.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Walked posted:

Metal in the oilpan! Hooray.

Always good news!

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
I just got a 2006 Impreza Outback sport and I love it. But I want to have a mechanic check it out. Can anyone recommend any reputable subaru mechanics near Alexandria, VA?

Anything I should have them pay special attention to? It has 51k miles.

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009

perabyte posted:

Mine does the exact same thing. Same car, almost the same mileage.

It must be a common thing because I've heard this echoed so many times. Seems the newer models do it too. It is severely annoying, not considering I live in the South in the middle of a swamp.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

Osmium Tetroxide posted:

It must be a common thing because I've heard this echoed so many times. Seems the newer models do it too. It is severely annoying, not considering I live in the South in the middle of a swamp.

I live at high elevation, rarely do I ever need it thankfully. Doesn't get much over 75 here in the summer, and the humidity is like 20% at the worst.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Lots of good information in this thread. I'm picking up my first Subaru tonight (brand new Impreza 2.5i Premium Special Edition 5 door).

There's a lot of specific information in this thread that I plan to work through, but are there any general things I should know for the first year or so of ownership?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

A flying piece of posted:

There's a lot of specific information in this thread that I plan to work through, but are there any general things I should know for the first year or so of ownership?

Enjoy your car, have it serviced on time. Try not to drool on the seats too much.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Got my first Subaru as well. 1993 Impreza with 175k. Everything seems quite solid mechanically, I'm pretty happy.

Looking forward to some nice roadtrips and screwing around on logging roads!

What are my aux input options with a factory stereo? is there an input for satellite or a cd changer?

quadpus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 24, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just chiming in to say I got a new Subaru block to replace the old rod-knocker. Fresh EJ251 SOHC on the way.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Well apparently it's a custom job too.

edit: On a side note, if anyone happens to have (or knows someone that has) a cat'd bellmouth 3" downpipe for an 02-07 wrx and is willing to sell it for ~$200. Let me know...

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

quadpus posted:

Got my first Subaru as well. 1993 Impreza with 175k. Everything seems quite solid mechanically, I'm pretty happy.

What are my aux input options with a factory stereo? is there an input for satellite or a cd changer?

-brad

As a general rule, don't bother signing your posts.

For AUX inputs on the factory stereo, there will be no options. To get a CD changer, grab a 6 disc headunit from a later WRX (~$50) they will fit and plug in. If you want aux in with the 6 disc changer, you will need to get a Jazzy Mod aux in kit. Works great.

If you want satellite radio, aux input options, etc., it would probably be easier just picking up a new headunit and installing it. You can get a nice full featured headunit with what you want for ~$120.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

Amandyke posted:

Well apparently it's a custom job too.

edit: On a side note, if anyone happens to have (or knows someone that has) a cat'd bellmouth 3" downpipe for an 02-07 wrx and is willing to sell it for ~$200. Let me know...

I have a friend who just went catless. I'll ask him. I'm not sure if he sold it already or plans to keep it around for whatever reason, though.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nutnmunch posted:

I have a friend who just went catless. I'll ask him. I'm not sure if he sold it already or plans to keep it around for whatever reason, though.

Much appreciated, I'll be rockin stage 2 once I get that downpipe.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quadpus posted:

-brad

Oohh, looks nice. Need to get a new wheel cover though!

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
My badges of ownership can in the mail today.

Don't think I'm actually going to put them on my car though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I got mine too a last week. Don't know why I was expecting metal badges. Not going to use mine either.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

TurboLuvah posted:

As a general rule, don't bother signing your posts.

For AUX inputs on the factory stereo, there will be no options. To get a CD changer, grab a 6 disc headunit from a later WRX (~$50) they will fit and plug in. If you want aux in with the 6 disc changer, you will need to get a Jazzy Mod aux in kit. Works great.

If you want satellite radio, aux input options, etc., it would probably be easier just picking up a new headunit and installing it. You can get a nice full featured headunit with what you want for ~$120.

Wow, that's a first for me. After six years too, WTF.

Thanks for the info.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Amandyke posted:

I got mine too a last week. Don't know why I was expecting metal badges. Not going to use mine either.

I'd probably have paid for metal badges. The plastic is so chintzy.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

Just chiming in to say I got a new Subaru block to replace the old rod-knocker. Fresh EJ251 SOHC on the way.

I'm curious where you got it and for what price. Longblock or short. I'm wondering because I've got a 2.5 SOHC and if it shits the bed I want to have a gameplan.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm curious where you got it and for what price. Longblock or short. I'm wondering because I've got a 2.5 SOHC and if it shits the bed I want to have a gameplan.

$1000 USD from Outfront Motorsports. They offer a longblock as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why is the t-junction that the hose pops off always under the intercooler?