Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a shovelware/freeware game that came on one of those terrible '1000 Games for Win95' CDs.
-Generics Fantasy first person dungeon crawler.
-Pretty large set of races and classes to choose from.
-The economy was strange, you could go hours and only make a few thousand dollars, or you could randomly find an artifact weapon and sell it for millions of dollars.
-When you died your corpse was taken to a hospital or morgue, and you could pay to resurrect from a bank account, if you couldn't you would have to make a new character who could resurrect past characters by paying for them.
-The graphics were sorta windowed (like the mini map was in it's own little window) instead of being DOS contained, more sleek but also more generic.
-I remember it was a sequel and that maybe it was a one word title?

I know I'm describing probably hundreds of games, but any help would be appreciated.

Could it be Mordor/Demise? It went through several design changes, but was a multi-pane Windows program originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
Microsoft game that I am about 90% sure came with some editions of Windows 95. You flew a little triangle-shaped ship around inside mazes with different trippy textures, and the ship could occasionally jump over walls.

Halloween
Apr 29, 2009

Brave Ghost

Bieeardo posted:

Could it be Mordor/Demise? It went through several design changes, but was a multi-pane Windows program originally.

Yess! This is it. Thanks so much.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

StealthStealth posted:

Microsoft game that I am about 90% sure came with some editions of Windows 95. You flew a little triangle-shaped ship around inside mazes with different trippy textures, and the ship could occasionally jump over walls.
Could be Hover!.

Dean Hardpackage
Aug 5, 2006

ask me about my video game achievements
There was a game on Sega Genesis and it was a side-scroller where you were a muscle-bound guy and I THINK you wandered to different coliseums or something to fight various bad guys? It was very hard and pretty graphic/bloody as well. Any ideas?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Dean Hardpackage posted:

There was a game on Sega Genesis and it was a side-scroller where you were a muscle-bound guy and I THINK you wandered to different coliseums or something to fight various bad guys? It was very hard and pretty graphic/bloody as well. Any ideas?

Possibly could be Gods?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gods

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Dean Hardpackage posted:

Last Battle, maybe? The US version was edited from a Fist of the North Star game and had most of the violence removed, though.

Dean Hardpackage
Aug 5, 2006

Major Ryan posted:

Possibly could be Gods?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gods

No your character took up more of the screen and it was more about fighting bosses or single plane fighting than platforming. There might also have been an overworld map where you went to different locations to fight bosses? I distinctly remember it being pretty graphic like you could maybe get your arm cut off or maybe cut off the bosses' arms or something?

Dean Hardpackage
Aug 5, 2006

Panic Restaurant posted:

Last Battle, maybe? The US version was edited from a Fist of the North Star game and had most of the violence removed, though.

Last Battle!!! Awesome thanks!

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

MMAgCh posted:

Could be Hover!.

That is it, thanks!

Now I want to be 14 again and babysitting and put the baby to sleep and play that game for hours!

Darm
Jun 15, 2008

God Bless Baby Pacman
A friend of mine is looking for a 2D side-scroller that was most likely for the SNES. Her memory is rather hazy but it featured a life bar made of 5 or so hearts, a first level going up or down a steep hill, a frost level in the sky, and a castle at the end that you were trying to get to the whole game story-wise. The hero resembled Megaman to a degree and it was a short game. I personally checked a list of SNES platformers on GameFAQs but I could not identify it sadly, so there's the slight possibility that it was for another system from the same console generation (the graphics were distinctly 16-bit).

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Trying to remember the DOS game I played when I was in elementary school (early 90's). It was a platformer and had an Egyptian theme. I remember the main character as being kinda stocky, but my memory is really hazy.

I know this is super vague but I have NO loving idea.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Dean Hardpackage posted:

Last Battle!!! Awesome thanks!

Meh, no idea why I missed the bit where you said side-scroller... though in truth I'd not have guessed Last Battle. It was pretty much hated at the time if I remember rightly and I avoided it due to the bad reviews.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darm posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a 2D side-scroller that was most likely for the SNES. Her memory is rather hazy but it featured a life bar made of 5 or so hearts, a first level going up or down a steep hill, a frost level in the sky, and a castle at the end that you were trying to get to the whole game story-wise. The hero resembled Megaman to a degree and it was a short game. I personally checked a list of SNES platformers on GameFAQs but I could not identify it sadly, so there's the slight possibility that it was for another system from the same console generation (the graphics were distinctly 16-bit).

Sounds like Sky Blazer

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

TheGopher posted:

Trying to remember the DOS game I played when I was in elementary school (early 90's). It was a platformer and had an Egyptian theme. I remember the main character as being kinda stocky, but my memory is really hazy.

Challenge of the Ancient Empires?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Darm posted:

Maybe Sparkster?

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I'm looking for a freeware 2d side-scroller that came out maybe 5 or so years ago for the pc. The gameplay was pretty close to a Gunstar Heroes, and you had a sliding attack that was pretty useful. The entire game took place on a spaceship, which if I remember correctly had a purple or pinkish interior. The main enemies were white, humanoid robots with round body parts, The entire art style was pretty cartoonish. I remember one scene in particular where when you beat a level you fell off a conveyor belt or a garbage chute and end up breaking your fall by landing on one of these robots.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

TheGopher posted:

Rick Dangerous sounds similar, but I don't think it was on PC. Unless you meant C64.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
Okay, this looks like the thread to ask a question. I saw footage of a game recently, and I didn't see the name of the game anywhere. I'm almost certain it's a Wii game, probably never released outside of Japan. It's a cooking game where you're cooking in a Japanese restaurant, and have to complete a variety of tasks. These tasks range from chopping vegetables and filling a beer glass, to stuff like killing roaches and dialing a number on a rotary phone. The graphics style was very cartoony, the whole thing was in Japanese, and I have no idea what it's called. Does anyone have the slightest idea what I'm talking about?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

9999DMG posted:

Okay, this looks like the thread to ask a question. I saw footage of a game recently, and I didn't see the name of the game anywhere. I'm almost certain it's a Wii game, probably never released outside of Japan. It's a cooking game where you're cooking in a Japanese restaurant, and have to complete a variety of tasks. These tasks range from chopping vegetables and filling a beer glass, to stuff like killing roaches and dialing a number on a rotary phone. The graphics style was very cartoony, the whole thing was in Japanese, and I have no idea what it's called. Does anyone have the slightest idea what I'm talking about?
One of the Cooking Mama games maybe?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
煙草 東京! 金魚!!

Or Team Super Cooking!~! GO!

I don't think its getting exported from Nippon though :( looked fun :(

9999DMG
May 20, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

One of the Cooking Mama games maybe?

No, it is definitely NOT Cooking Mama.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

煙草 東京! 金魚!!

Or Team Super Cooking!~! GO!

I don't think its getting exported from Nippon though :( looked fun :(

Google search for both the Japanese characters and the translation turns up nothing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cooking games are pretty extensive in Japan. Xplay (back when they were Gamespot TV and actually good) did a series of videos on quirky Japanese games (only name I remember is Harmful Park) and the game 9999DMG mentioned sounds pretty close to something they showed off. If only there weren't 1,000 loving episodes to think back on.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Hakkesshu posted:

Ogre Battle?

No Ogre Battle is turn based, the game I'm talking about is real time.

Edit: I seem to be remembering more about the game. The actual gameplay during a battle almost reminds me of the original legend of zelda. There is an (invisible) grid that you can move your character around, except it's you and your army of dozens of soldiers vs whatever enemy is on the map.

MegaCharger fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 23, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaCharger posted:

No Ogre Battle is turn based, the game I'm talking about is real time.

Ogre battle is most certainly not turn based (tactics ogre is)

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ogre battle is most certainly not turn based (tactics ogre is)

Sorry, is this Ogre Battle? I've never played it or at least don't remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0K2LkQMZu0

If that's it then it's turn based. If not I can't seem to find any video of Ogre Battle that's real time, where you control your character like in Zelda.

The overworld map looks very similar to the game I am trying to find though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaCharger posted:

Sorry, is this Ogre Battle? I've never played it or at least don't remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0K2LkQMZu0

If that's it then it's turn based. If not I can't seem to find any video of Ogre Battle that's real time, where you control your character like in Zelda.

The overworld map looks very similar to the game I am trying to find though.

Oh, I didn't know that direct character control was involved.

There is a real time element to ogre battle that isn't shown, where you move all of your troops around that overworld type map. But it seems like this isn't your game.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

9999DMG posted:

Actually, I think that's this PS1 game. I wouldn't even have heard of it, but there was a partial LP of it. (video featuring beer-pouring, onion-chopping and phone-dialling)

9999DMG
May 20, 2007

Polsy posted:

Actually, I think that's this PS1 game. I wouldn't even have heard of it, but there was a partial LP of it. (video featuring beer-pouring, onion-chopping and phone-dialling)

Yes, that's it. Thank you. :)

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

YES! You are loving amazing and I love you forever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Polsy posted:

Aaaand this is the same game Gamespot Tv featured almost ten years ago!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hmm since no one got my first one, there's another that has been bothering me for a period of years now...

It's a PC game again, Win95 era, where you controlled a jet fighter "on rails" through various levels from the third person. You could shoot your machine gun/missiles as fast as you could press the buttons with unlimited ammo iirc, and the only level I remember was one where you flew straight up into the sky with clouds and poo poo going past.

Most memorably, EVERY time your jet locked on to a new enemy (often) this announcer or whatever would start yelling "FIRE! FIRE!FIRE!F-F-F-FIRE! FIRE!FIRE!" I played the game a ton but can't remember anything else :/ There may have been bosses too but I'm not sure about that

Darm
Jun 15, 2008

God Bless Baby Pacman

Hakkesshu posted:

Sounds like Sky Blazer

DeathBySpoon posted:

Maybe Sparkster?

No, it wasn't either of these unfortunately. There was also a house with a wheel in it and a giant tree level if that helps at all.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Darm posted:

Tiny Toon Adventures for Genesis?

Opening level has a hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLKsUcDJpQ

Has an ice level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmStua1TyyU

Last level is a warehouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvTG4iRK_E&feature=related

And he's blue like megaman? Maybe that's it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=funky&x=14&y=15

Something tells me that funky isn't in the name. Can you even say what platform it was on?

I said it was a PC game. And for no reason as soon as I read my post again I remembered: Wacky Funsters. No gameplay videos though :(

e: lol

quote:

A collection of humorous mini-games, and precursor to "Geekwad: Games of the Galaxy".

Includes parodies of the classic arcade games Pong ("Ping"), Asteroids ("Steroids"), Hard Driving ("Roadkill!", in which you run over giant lunch meats that inexplicably appear in front of your car), Street Fighter ("Big Guys with Muscles", a fighting game including such opponents as your third-grade teacher). Also includes the originals "Rambi vs. Blambo" and "King's Retreat". It's 5 1/2 games in one!

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

I used to play this game back in 94 or 96. It was a formula 1 racing game and I never took it seriously because every time I'd start around the oval track I'd never finish so I'd never qualify. Well one day I did finish and qualified and then it put me in to a full on race. The graphics were meh but the game had content. You could customize the levels of the cars flaps and I think adjust camber and other things.

n0manarmy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 24, 2010

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
There was this old rear end NES (edit: Maybe SNES) shooter that I'm trying to remember. The screen was circular and your ship traveled around the edge shooting inwards. That's about all I remember. Oh, and it was totally awesome.

There's another one that may very well be Gauntlet, but it's so hazy I'm not sure. From what I remember it was the same top down, fantasy hack and slash, same level design with blocky bits and you had to find keys to open up certain paths here and there, but your health didn't drain away. I only played it a couple times and it was so long ago. You know what? It's probably Gauntlet and my memory just sucks.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bummey posted:

There was this old rear end NES shooter that I'm trying to remember. The screen was circular and your ship traveled around the edge shooting inwards. That's about all I remember. Oh, and it was totally awesome.

There's another one that may very well be Gauntlet, but it's so hazy I'm not sure. From what I remember it was the same top down, fantasy hack and slash, same level design with blocky bits and you had to find keys to open up certain paths here and there, but your health didn't drain away. I only played it a couple times and it was so long ago. You know what? It's probably Gauntlet and my memory just sucks.

Gyruss, surely? Awesome game, but I only ever played it in the arcade.

As to your Gauntlet question, there were a huge number of clones so we'd need more information.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Gromit posted:

Gyruss, surely? Awesome game, but I only ever played it in the arcade.

As to your Gauntlet question, there were a huge number of clones so we'd need more information.

It might be Gyruss! I wore out this cartridge so hard.

I don't really have any more information about the maybe Gauntlet, unfortunately. :(

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P
edit: wrong thread.

Stokesy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 24, 2010