Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I know FitFordDanga has the movie, but this is for anyone else as well. Could someone scan the cover of Todd Haynes' Safe for me? I need a new cover for it. I have the disc but I am a weirdo. I've looked all over the net!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a general TV questions megathread? Liek this, broad ranging and not focused on what just got released?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I know FitFordDanga has the movie, but this is for anyone else as well. Could someone scan the cover of Todd Haynes' Safe for me? I need a new cover for it. I have the disc but I am a weirdo. I've looked all over the net!

PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

I don't have PMs but here is my email. lucaskollauf@gmail.com

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Do cars in movies have fake license plates? Or are they just real cars with actual plates and they were rented by the studio?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I don't have PMs but here is my email. lucaskollauf@gmail.com

Email sent.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jacques Diarrhida posted:

Do cars in movies have fake license plates? Or are they just real cars with actual plates and they were rented by the studio?

Fake - they are usually plastic and prop guys use the same licenses over and over again. Keep an eye out for same numbers between same-state licenses.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jacques Diarrhida posted:

Or in lazy productions set in the past where older cars have modern plates.
A great example was recently in Underbelly where modern Queensland number plates were sitting next to Victorian plates in 1990.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Email sent.

Thanks FFD :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
So like, they keep showing commercials for The Last Airbender and it's still unrated and it comes out in 12 days. Is it common for films to get that close to release without being rated yet?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Has there ever actually been a serious zombie movie where the zombies crave brains? The only examples I can think of are parodies.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Ninja Gamer posted:

Has there ever actually been a serious zombie movie where the zombies crave brains? The only examples I can think of are parodies.

I think Return of the Living Dead is as close as you're gonna get. It's what kickstarted the whole idea in the first place, IIRC. And even though it's basically a parody itself, it at least explains why they crave brains.

For whatever reason, though, people latched onto the idea and now whenever someone says "zombies", some jackass inevitably replies, "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIINS!"

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
It'd make sense for ROTLD to have started the whole brains crazy. Goddamn that movie is awesome. I respect the old Romero stuff for the subtext and enjoy the new directions in the genre of 28 Days Later and 04 Dawn, but nothing beats the ultimate feeling of satisfaction provided by Return of the Living Dead.

I wouldn't say it's really a parody as much as it has unique, prevalent sense of humor like Ravenous. The introduction of quick, invincible, and intelligent zombies scared the gently caress out of me as a twelve year old. And the ending sure didn't make me feel any better either then too, although I absolutely love it today.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maybe I'm just having a massive brain fart, but the worst sequel/prequel thread made me think. I can name lots of sequels that are good, but I can't really think of any prequels that are actually any good. I also can't think of any older prequels. Are prequels a modern thing? Are there any good ones?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Skwirl posted:

Maybe I'm just having a massive brain fart, but the worst sequel/prequel thread made me think. I can name lots of sequels that are good, but I can't really think of any prequels that are actually any good. I also can't think of any older prequels. Are prequels a modern thing? Are there any good ones?

The Godfather Part II is kind of both a sequel and a prequel, so there's that. Also the JJ Abrams "Star Trek" movie was good, if you count that as a prequel.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Keanu Grieves posted:

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

According to the commentary for Evil Dead, Sam Raimi had the actors really smoke weed the first time they shot the scene where they smoke weed. Unfortunately, none of them had ever smoked weed before and kept loving up their lines.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is a prequel, isn't it?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Crows Turn Off posted:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is a prequel, isn't it?

I am not sure about Fistful of Dollars because I never found any reference beyond Clint Eastwood's character, but it seemed like For a few dollars more took place before The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Eastwood seemed to know who Lee Van Cleef was in The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but seemed to have just met him in For a Few Dollars More.

This is just from memory/my interpretation of the movies though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dyscrasia posted:

I am not sure about Fistful of Dollars because I never found any reference beyond Clint Eastwood's character, but it seemed like For a few dollars more took place before The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Eastwood seemed to know who Lee Van Cleef was in The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but seemed to have just met him in For a Few Dollars More.

This is just from memory/my interpretation of the movies though.

Lee Van Cleef is two different characters, and Good the Bad and the Ugly ended with the Man with no name get his outfit.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 22, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Part of the issue is that there are way more sequels released than prequels.
From wikipedia list: Psycho IV, Freddy vs Jason, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Cube Zero

These were all okay movies but really don't stand up to earlier works at all.

Probably the best prequel of all-time in relation to the source material is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_Master_III:_Toulon%27s_Revenge
Highest rated on IMDB of the whole series as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How was Freddy vs Jason a prequel? Other than the fact that it had to take place before Jason X.

I do have my own question though, what's the dealeo with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon not really writing any movies other than Good Will Hunting? I mean, you win an Oscar for best screenplay and then proceed to write nothing for the next six years for Damon and ten years for Affleck.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

How was Freddy vs Jason a prequel? Other than the fact that it had to take place before Jason X.

That's the only criteria that wikipedia lists.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I do have my own question though, what's the dealeo with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon not really writing any movies other than Good Will Hunting? I mean, you win an Oscar for best screenplay and then proceed to write nothing for the next six years for Damon and ten years for Affleck.

I'm sure it has something to do with the enormous paychecks they are offered as actors.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, how do you top an Oscar for your first produced screenplay? It's drat near impossible. Everyone expects you to crank out award winners all the time in that case. Add on the :swoon: factor girls had over Damon and Affleck when Hunting turned into a hit, it's obvious that they knew the brighter career prospects were in acting, not screenwriting.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

To be fair, Affleck co-wrote GONE BABY GONE and his upcoming film THE TOWN, and Damon co-wrote GERRY, so they're not completely done with writing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

VorpalBunny posted:

To be fair, Affleck co-wrote GONE BABY GONE and his upcoming film THE TOWN, and Damon co-wrote GERRY, so they're not completely done with writing.

To be fair, I coulda written Gerry in the time it took me to write this post. I mean that with all due respect to Matt, though. I think he's a competent writer and a great actor. Most likely I think they both just have a lot of interests other than writing, and would rather be doing them. Maybe Matt just plain enjoys acting better.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

codyclarke posted:

Most likely I think they both just have a lot of interests other than writing, and would rather be doing them.

:quagmire:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

VorpalBunny posted:

To be fair, Affleck co-wrote GONE BABY GONE

That's been such a pile of poo poo though that it's surprising it came from the same writer as Good Will Hunting. I guess Damon is the guy with the good ideas.

(yeah OK now I notice it's actually CO-written and not entirely written by him, but still...)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Zwille posted:

That's been such a pile of poo poo though that it's surprising it came from the same writer as Good Will Hunting. I guess Damon is the guy with the good ideas.

(yeah OK now I notice it's actually CO-written and not entirely written by him, but still...)
Are you calling Gone Baby Gone a pile of poo poo? Well and good if it's your personal opinion, but that movie was pretty critically acclaimed. 94% on RottenTomatoes isn't anything to scoff at. Plus Affleck also directed it.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gone_baby_gone/

Anyway, Damon clearly had more luck in the acting field than Affleck, and his career is secured probably for decades. I think Affleck took a lot of paycheck roles, and realized his days of $15 million dollar acting paychecks were over, so he withdrew to more thoughtful projects now that he's got a wad of cash in his hands. He's only done a handful of acting roles since '04, most of which were cameos except for Hollywoodland where he was clearly trying to hand in a legitimate performance again (which worked a lot better than when he tried to do it with Jersey Girl)

Elijya fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 22, 2010

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Elijya posted:

Anyway, Damon clearly had more luck in the acting field than Affleck

Better luck, or better advice and role selection? Damon has picked some winning scripts and directors; far more than Affleck.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Elijya posted:

Are you calling Gone Baby Gone a pile of poo poo? Well and good if it's your personal opinion, but that movie was pretty critically acclaimed. 94% on RottenTomatoes isn't anything to scoff at. Plus Affleck also directed it.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gone_baby_gone/

Huh, didn't know that. I mean, I really liked a lot of the establishing shots like in the beginning with the newscaster in shorts (or no pants at all, I don't remember which), but the dialogues just were painful at times, the actors, well... after about half an hour of viewing time the friend of mine that watched along with me asked when it was gonna end already. Yeah, that's just my (and his) personal opinion and all, but it's really surprising to me that it got 94 percent. Hey, 80% woulda been a surprise to me.

About the only other thing I liked about the film besides the establishing shots was the cameo of the guy who played Omar Little on The Wire.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah they probably thought acting was more fun and lucrative than writing. I mean would you rather spend months hammering out a screenplay or loving around with George Clooney and Brad Pitt?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

therattle posted:

Better luck, or better advice and role selection? Damon has picked some winning scripts and directors; far more than Affleck.

I always liked Matt Damon more as an actor, anyway. Affleck was the prettier of the two and got caught up in the Bennifer tabloid whirlwind. I think once he escaped that, and realized how much crap he had made over the years, he retreated with his millions and hot new wife and decided to take control of his career and become a writer/director. Good for him, it's working out so far.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VorpalBunny posted:

I always liked Matt Damon more as an actor, anyway. Affleck was the prettier of the two and got caught up in the Bennifer tabloid whirlwind. I think once he escaped that, and realized how much crap he had made over the years, he retreated with his millions and hot new wife and decided to take control of his career and become a writer/director. Good for him, it's working out so far.

I think thats pretty accurate actually. He's realised he has enough money in the bank to do what he wants to do so he just takes supporting roles and works on his own stuff.

As for the Good Will Hunting stuff, they both admitted they only wrote that film because they were fed up of not getting leading roles. So they wrote that script and sold it on the provision that they be cast as the lead actors. I guess once that was done they didn't need to write anymore (Though Damon did do uncredited work on 'The Bourne Identity').

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Elijya posted:

I think Affleck took a lot of paycheck roles

Hah!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Writing is a huge investment. It takes a long time, and the development process stretches it on for years.

Meanwhile if you're Affleck or Damon, acting roles are a couple weeks and then you're on to the next one. It's much easier to do a lot of that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IIRC wasn't Good Will Hunting originally going to be some spy thriller? Then someone recommended they rewrite it and make it more about boy genius playing with numbers.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Are there any movies (or any medium I guess) where they try to have something look like it was filmed a long time ago and it really looks like it? It seems like whenever they try to make something look like it was filmed like it was in the 30's or 40', or even the 60's or 70's or whenever, it always looks too crisp or just off in some way. Can't they just use an old movie camera and do it like that or is it something with modern film stock that makes everything look modern?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schweinhund posted:

Are there any movies (or any medium I guess) where they try to have something look like it was filmed a long time ago and it really looks like it? It seems like whenever they try to make something look like it was filmed like it was in the 30's or 40', or even the 60's or 70's or whenever, it always looks too crisp or just off in some way. Can't they just use an old movie camera and do it like that or is it something with modern film stock that makes everything look modern?
Lumière and Company should be right up your alley, although I haven't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Schweinhund posted:

Check out some Guy Maddin films. This short is one of his best works.