Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

jonathan posted:

Friend's fake Rubicon.

She's hot though so who cares.

She may be hot, but that doesn't make her Jeep less stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

jonathan posted:

Friend's fake Rubicon.

She's hot though so who cares.

Sure that's a Rubicon? It's got the Sahara running boards and fenders.

And it's way too clean.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Kinda tough to get muddy in mall parking lots.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rubies With Boobies? (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=412109034&albumID=356231&imageID=8866732#a=356231&i=8866732)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Braincloud posted:

Sure that's a Rubicon? It's got the Sahara running boards and fenders.

And it's way too clean.

Well, he said fake, and it does not seem to have the Rubicon tag on the hood.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90382

goddamn sexy. and for sale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I missed out on a 91 with a full 99 Cherokee front end conversion last year. It's my biggest automotive regret.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Newer Jeep wheels look pretty amazing on that.

Also, I had a pretty :black101: weekend. Drove to Granby to visit the folks for an early Father's Day, they went to a charity thing in another town on Saturday morning, leaving me to tool around the mountain. I promptly get roadblocked by a melt-off marsh that is too slick to power out of. While turning around I get my front end hooked on a goddamn log. I'm by myself, I left my winch solenoid at home, and the folks are gone so the chance of rescue by tractor is nil, so I hike down the mountain in my tevas in search of the household chainsaw. I can't find the chainsaw in the house, garage, wood shed, or machine shed.

However, I do find an axe and a comealong. Hike back to the Jeep, chop up that loving log listening to Andrew WK, and flatten some saplings on my way out of the marsh. I'm kind of glad I was by myself, as my friends probably would not have found the whole ordeal as fun as I did.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Zero posted:

She may be hot, but that doesn't make her Jeep less stupid.

Why ? They're decent vehicles to cruise in, and the top and doors come off. Even if you don't offroad the thing, it's still a great vehicle to use to cruise the strip down at the beach or whatever. Other than that, some people like big wheels.

I called it a fake rubicon because it has rubicon decals, but it's only a Sahara. I do feel that that is stupid.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

Newer Jeep wheels look pretty amazing on that.

Also, I had a pretty :black101: weekend. Drove to Granby to visit the folks for an early Father's Day, they went to a charity thing in another town on Saturday morning, leaving me to tool around the mountain. I promptly get roadblocked by a melt-off marsh that is too slick to power out of. While turning around I get my front end hooked on a goddamn log. I'm by myself, I left my winch solenoid at home, and the folks are gone so the chance of rescue by tractor is nil, so I hike down the mountain in my tevas in search of the household chainsaw. I can't find the chainsaw in the house, garage, wood shed, or machine shed.

However, I do find an axe and a comealong. Hike back to the Jeep, chop up that loving log listening to Andrew WK, and flatten some saplings on my way out of the marsh. I'm kind of glad I was by myself, as my friends probably would not have found the whole ordeal as fun as I did.

Wait, why did you remove the winch solenoid? Just mount it under the hood if you don't like the way it looks.

I love the way that pic turned out though.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Boomerjinks posted:

:words:

drat, pics like that make me wish YJs up here were in such nice shape. Ours rust out almost as fast as our XJs :sigh:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

ThinkFear posted:

Wait, why did you remove the winch solenoid? Just mount it under the hood if you don't like the way it looks.

I just haven't put it on yet. :doh: I'll most likely mount it under the hood, probably attached to the wheel well or something. There's tons of space.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

jonathan posted:

I called it a fake rubicon because it has rubicon decals, but it's only a Sahara. I do feel that that is stupid.

Those rimzz made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Also why would you put rubi stickers on a jeep that obviously doesn't wheel at all? does she even know what the rubicon package comes with or just that it is more expensive bling bling holla!?

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 22, 2010

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm torn.

My Jeep's got quite a few problems, many of them due to my neglect. Just adding up parts comes to $1100 to get everything in full working order.

OR

There's a white XJ on a local lot nearby. Same year, very close mileage and a a full maintenance history which mine didn't have when I bought it. The lot's owned by a friend I know from one of my jobs so I trust him. He's got it stickered pretty drat cheap too.

To fix or to replace. Such a headache.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Rhyno posted:

Well I'm torn.

My Jeep's got quite a few problems, many of them due to my neglect. Just adding up parts comes to $1100 to get everything in full working order.

OR

There's a white XJ on a local lot nearby. Same year, very close mileage and a a full maintenance history which mine didn't have when I bought it. The lot's owned by a friend I know from one of my jobs so I trust him. He's got it stickered pretty drat cheap too.

To fix or to replace. Such a headache.

replace and offset some cost by parting out old one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veeb0rg posted:

replace and offset some cost by parting out old one.

I hadn't thought of that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

jonathan posted:

Why ? They're decent vehicles to cruise in, and the top and doors come off. Even if you don't offroad the thing, it's still a great vehicle to use to cruise the strip down at the beach or whatever. Other than that, some people like big wheels.

Well, I just mean the mad rimzzzz are dumb and the fake Rubicon stickers are dumb. :colbert: Her being hot doesn't make it less so.

Boomerjinks posted:

This right here is some serious Jeep pr0n.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Boomerjinks posted:

That picture seems to be missing something...

Ah, there we go

Click here for the full 1024x576 image.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone wanna chime in on this project ?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3319835

Hino Turbodiesel 6x6.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Have a TJ but think it's too narrow and too normal looking? Are you a poser that can't afford a HMMWV? Want your TJ to look like one without having any of their advantages like an improved drivetrain, more ground clearance, and more cargo space? Well, do I have the answer for you!

Click here for the full 1006x658 image.

Click here for the full 1005x658 image.

Click here for the full 1024x658 image.

(sorry, their gallery sucks, I had to take screen grabs)

Great, now they've got wide body kits, what's next, fake rust on the hood and hella-flush tires?

The last picture looks like Russian nesting dolls, or some horrible "Pimp my ride" episode: Yo, Dawg, I heard you liked Jeeps, so I put a Jeep inside your Jeep!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just joined the Jeep club. I've been looking for the past 4 months for either an XJ or ZJ and finally found something I really liked.

Crappy cell phone pics to follow: (Waffleimages has been wonky, so hopefully it works)

It's an '01 Cherokee Sport 4x4 with 127k miles and it runs like new. I happened to pass by a rather shady looking used dealer in the SFV in LA and it was sitting right in the front row on the lot. The owner ended up being super nice and worked with me on the price ($5,500) until I was happy. It was the color I wanted, drivetrain, and '97+. Perfect. I know the '00 and '01 models had some head issues, but at 127k miles I have to assume that problem would have surfaced by now. And I know I could have found one a little cheaper from a private seller, but this has all new fluids, just passed SMOG, and is basically reconditioned to be as new as possible.

After running an Autocheck I found that it was owned by a company as a fleet vehicle its entire life. Normally that would raise concerns for me, but the maintenance records were exhaustive. It had 56 records of maintenance and it shows. The metal work is flawless, all original paint which shines like it was on the showroom floor, and you could eat off the engine it is so clean. Not a speck of rust anywhere. I was really impressed with it and couldn't resist.

It drives straight as an arrow and is completely happy at 80mph. All it really needs is two new tires on the rear in probably a couple thousand miles. It also has a tow hitch which is perfect because I plan on towing my broken DSM around with it.

So there we have it. I love this thing and can't wait to get it off road. I will be using it to tow my Talon to LA from San Fran, and then to the track once I get it working again. It will also be used for camping and getting the hell out of LA whenever I can. I really want to take it on some trails once I get familiar enough with driving it. I don't really know the capabilities of the stock XJ, but from watching YouTube videos it seems quite capable off road. It will eventually get a small lift and some bigger tires for sure, probably not much more than that though for a while. I've been a turbo import guy my whole life, so I'm used to lowering cars rather than lifting them. I'm sure the bug will bite soon though.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
loving beautiful. I'm really wanting a 2 door XJ or that rare sexy goddamn MJ truck...not that I'd lose my LJ Rubi, but XJs have a special place in my jeep heart.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

nubie7357 posted:

Have a TJ but think it's too narrow and too normal looking? Are you a poser that can't afford a HMMWV? Want your TJ to look like one without having any of their advantages like an improved drivetrain, more ground clearance, and more cargo space? Well, do I have the answer for you!

Yeah that looks like it was based on the Wrangler "Bummer kit", I saw a bunch of them in the 90's H1 heyday. There was a few other kit car versions including a body kit [fiberglass :doh:] for pickups called Urban Gorilla or T-Rexx and a smaller hummer body kit for a ford ranger chassis.

A lot of them closed up shop when GM purchased the intellectual property/trade dress of Hummer and sent lawyers after the kit car guys.

AM general really didn't care about enforcing trademarks before the dark times... before the GM H2.

Click here for the full 450x604 image.

Had to pass on this today, almost purchased it but I can't swing $22,000 now. Amazing deal, it's a 1987 M998, with A2 upgraded suspension, upgraded driveshafts and geared hubs with a lift kit, drive train repowered with a intercooled 6BT 5.9L Cummins turbo diesel. Blows the doors off the 6.2/6.5 hummers/humvee's, you can actually peel it out and kick up a huge sand wake in the desert.

:sigh:

Currently helping my office mate track down a XJ now.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2010

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

BigKOfJustice posted:

Yeah that looks like it was based on the Wrangler "Bummer kit", I saw a bunch of them in the 90's H1 heyday. There was a few other kit car versions including a body kit [fiberglass :dohf:] for pickups called Urban Gorilla or T-Rexx and a smaller hummer body kit for a ford ranger chassis.

Lest we forget the factory "RENEGADE" YJs and all their fiberglass bodywork. I know they weren't going to emulate a Hummer, but seriously, what were they thinking? :barf:

e: Disclaimer: I would gladly accept a YJ Renegade if it was without rust somehow

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Hey ya know fiberglass seems to work for corvettes...

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

fordham posted:

Hey ya know fiberglass seems to work for corvettes...

I don't think it's that, more like how ridiculously awful they look, and the excessive amounts of body work that ultimately makes the car uglier, slower, heavier, and less capable for offroading.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Sharp_angus posted:

Lest we forget the factory "RENEGADE" YJs and all their fiberglass bodywork. I know they weren't going to emulate a Hummer, but seriously, what were they thinking? :barf:

Holy crap, this was stock!??! I thought it was a bad body kit that was popular for a few years. Or they were imitating a movie car I hadn't seen, like Tomb Raider or something.

Click here for the full 766x616 image.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

nubie7357 posted:

Holy crap, this was stock!??! I thought it was a bad body kit that was popular for a few years. Or they were imitating a movie car I hadn't seen, like Tomb Raider or something.

Click here for the full 766x616 image.

I think that style renegade was used in Back to the Future II as a flying future jeep that Mc Fly grabs onto in 2015.

Steiler Drep posted:

I don't think it's that, more like how ridiculously awful they look, and the excessive amounts of body work that ultimately makes the car uglier, slower, heavier, and less capable for offroading.

I agree, Jeeps and other off road vehicles with extensive body kits, or factory styling like above is pretty much relegated to street queen duty. Moderate off roading will tear off a fender flare or running board, etc.

On the flip side a simplified body replacement panel is fine, like desert race cars, you got your cage and a few clip on, easy to replace body parts, that makes sense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigKOfJustice posted:

A lot of them closed up shop when GM purchased the intellectual property/trade dress of Hummer and sent lawyers after the kit car guys.

AM general really didn't care about enforcing trademarks before the dark times... before the GM H2.
There was a bit of a :cop: routine at one point thanks to Jeep taking exception to Hummer having a very similar grille design to them, with the 7 slots - conveniently ignoring the fact that, originally, there were 9...

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

My Comanche is running again! However, some new problems are surfacing. Yesterday, my tachometer started acting up, in unison with some serious misfires that happen very infrequently. Mostly the tachometer works properly, other times it either jumps up and down, or just sits there. The only time it misfires is when the tachometer isn't working properly, but it still occurs infrequently. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Oh, and I think my u-joints in my driveshaft are going bad, but thats less of a concern. Oh the joys of owning an older Jeep.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Totalled my jeep the other day. Paid 10k a year ago for an 02 Wrangler Sport and I'm getting 12k from my insurance.

Edit: Figured out what I mean to say, what do I need to look out for on an 04 Rubicon TJ?

vains fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 2, 2010

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

BigKOfJustice posted:

Jeeps and other off road vehicles with extensive body kits, or factory styling like above is pretty much relegated to street queen duty. Moderate off roading will tear off a fender flare or running board, etc.

Even the step-sides on a factory Sahara JK are just asking for it. I've been out on 2 separate occasions where someone had theirs permanently removed by trail obstacles, and from the damage on my Rubicon sliders, I would have lost 2 or three sets already. The long wheelbase, combined with the poor factory steps is a recipe for disaster.

Incidentally I am hoping that these guys eventually get around to making a production version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0bkKdzOmA

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

LouReed posted:

My Comanche is running again! However, some new problems are surfacing. Yesterday, my tachometer started acting up, in unison with some serious misfires that happen very infrequently. Mostly the tachometer works properly, other times it either jumps up and down, or just sits there. The only time it misfires is when the tachometer isn't working properly, but it still occurs infrequently. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Oh, and I think my u-joints in my driveshaft are going bad, but thats less of a concern. Oh the joys of owning an older Jeep.

since it backfires and the tach acts up at the same time, I'd think crank position sensor.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
This thread makes me feel like a little girl even when I am Genghis Khan next to my friends in their sedans.

Throw-out bearing on my 95 Cherokee is in it's twilight and I decided that the $500 spent 5 years ago was no longer worth my time to fix. Started hunting craigslist and local papers for a suitable replacement. Came across a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited with 130K for $2,200. Drove it home today and am excited at having a new Jeep.

Aside from how pretty and fluffy it feels? I'm pumped to have a V8 power plant compared to the 4cyl I had in my previous Cherokee. Great where I live in the high rockies when tackling steep grades.

It sounds great to my amateur mechanic ears and have a list of little things to fix. The one I want advice on, though, are tires. The set it has does not match outside of their size (and they are worn). Also - I have no spare and will need to track down a rim/tire also.

Any advice? I do not do any heavy offroading/mudding/skyscraper-climbing and mostly have to contend with icy roads and the occasional two-track. In the past I've always opted for the cheapest set a tire shop can sell me. I feel that this project deserves a little bit more attention than I've granted in the past.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Holy poo poo. Seriously gently caress Chrysler for killing the MJ so that they could sell lovely Dakotas instead. And you couldn't even get a 4.0 in the Dakota because Dodge's engineers were too butthurt by the possibility of an AMC engine that had more power than their V8 at the time.

Really, the Dakota was going to get the 4.2/4.0 but instead they chopped two cylinders off of the 318 and ended up with a V6 so bad that the recommended solution to it's balance issues was to attach an automatic transmisson whenever possible so that the driver wouldn't notice how the engine tried to shatter the crank when being lugged.

Imagine MJs being made all the way up to 2001.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 2, 2010

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Holy poo poo. Seriously gently caress Chrysler for killing the MJ so that they could sell lovely Dakotas instead. And you couldn't even get a 4.0 in the Dakota because Dodge's engineers were too butthurt by the possibility of an AMC engine that had more power than their V8 at the time.

Really, the Dakota was going to get the 4.2/4.0 but instead they chopped two cylinders off of the 318 and ended up with a V6 so bad that the recommended solution to it's balance issues was to attach an automatic transmisson whenever possible so that the driver wouldn't notice how the engine tried to shatter the crank when being lugged.

Imagine MJs being made all the way up to 2001.

GODDAMN! THAT'S why they killed it!?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

19 o'clock posted:

Any advice? I do not do any heavy offroading/mudding/skyscraper-climbing and mostly have to contend with icy roads and the occasional two-track. In the past I've always opted for the cheapest set a tire shop can sell me. I feel that this project deserves a little bit more attention than I've granted in the past.

I got a set of BFG Long Trail TAs on my 99, and I really like them. Handles nice and very quiet compared to whatever cheap as poo poo the PO had on there. Costco had them on sale, and I think they still do.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Long+Trail+T/A+Tour&partnum=27TR6LTTATOWL

e: although, I almost never drive on ice, so I can't say how they are...

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Went out and bought an OBD2 cable for my WJ, problem is, the store gave me a VAG KKL cable. They said it should work with my Jeep. I've spent the better part of the day tearing my hair out, because I can't get it to work. Installed the necessary drivers, got the software, and still no dice.

So, am I an idiot for taking a VAG OBD2 cable, or should it technically work with any OBD2 vehicle? My google-fu did not yield any positive results, so you guys are my last hope before I return the drat thing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

InitialDave posted:

There was a bit of a :cop: routine at one point thanks to Jeep taking exception to Hummer having a very similar grille design to them, with the 7 slots - conveniently ignoring the fact that, originally, there were 9...

Considering AM [american motors] General and Hummer were part of Jeep at one point, it's not surprising, and its also the reason the lawsuit was ultimately thrown out when Chrysler didn't sue for 20+ years for using the grille design. Chrysler had an option to acquire AM General in the 80's [and thus the humvee/hummer] but they didn't see the value of buying a small "mom and pop" army truck/bus company.

AM General was divorced from AMC when Renault became involved in the 80's and the Defense departments opposition of having foreign ownership of a contractor. Otherwise it's likely that Chrysler would have gotten the humvee/hummer as a package deal with AMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Considering AM [american motors] General and Hummer were part of Jeep at one point, it's not surprising, and its also the reason the lawsuit was ultimately thrown out when Chrysler didn't sue for 20+ years for using the grille design. Chrysler had an option to acquire AM General in the 80's [and thus the humvee/hummer] but they didn't see the value of buying a small "mom and pop" army truck/bus company.

Actually the suit was thrown out because Chrysler couldn't prove the design was a de facto trademark. If they had ever bothered to trademark the design, they'd have been golden.