Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Basic Beater posted:

:toot: HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, DEUS EX!!! :toot:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wouldn't mind not playing IW in widescreen if you could actually run it windowed. :/

Incidentally, RPS had a whole day of people just posting "What a shame." and "A BOMB!!" while the Hivemind posted a couple of tribute articles. It was pretty fun.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

JC's taken a sharp, unexpected turn towards the dark side, or at least looking like a bad guy.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Basic Beater posted:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Oh my god, JC! A cake!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jetsetlemming posted:

JC's taken a sharp, unexpected turn towards the dark side, or at least looking like a bad guy.

He looks like the loving Shredder from the 90s live action TMNT films.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Oh my god, JC! A cake!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

AXE COP posted:

If Invisible War didn't have the Deus Ex name on it people would be praising it for emulating Deus Ex and being fun.
I just don't know. I'll admit, the main reason I was disappointed with it is because I loved DX1, but even as a standalone shooty RPG thing, it's pretty iffy with its wonky engine, universal ammo, and overall poo poo level design. Not atrocious or a complete trainwreck, but more in the subpar to mediocre range.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The number of loading screens in DX:IW and the amount of time they take to pass even on today's machines is really obnoxious and is what made the game frustrating to play for me. Especially since it would take me to desktop a few seconds before going into a loading screen. Super obnoxious.

FOOD!!!
Nov 27, 2002

Captain of the Assboat

Brownie posted:

The number of loading screens in DX:IW and the amount of time they take to pass even on today's machines is really obnoxious and is what made the game frustrating to play for me. Especially since it would take me to desktop a few seconds before going into a loading screen. Super obnoxious.

I'm not advocating "filez" here, but I found that using a no-cd crack alleviated a lot of the loading time issues and the problem of dropping to the desktop momentarily.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Brownie posted:

This is literally the only thing keeping me from going back and playing the game again. It is the worst.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Brownie posted:

This is happening to me on the Steam version, so I don't think the No-CD is the fix.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Steam is selling the games at a 75% discount because of the 10 year anniversary thing. :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I misplaced my copy of Invisible War some time ago and didn't like the game enough to try and replace it but for $2.50 I'm tempted. Hell, for $2.50 I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex again

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So the books and datacubes at the Templar cathedral suggest that MJ12 is run like a religious order above the grunt level, and that agents give up their names and go by numbers. But the rest of the game doesn't have anything to back that up and even contradicts it. What's the deal with that?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Off-topic, what are the best mods for Thief 2? I'm really getting into it, but I only have a few missions left.
T2X was pretty good, as I recall. You can also find a lot of good Thief 2 fan missions (FMS) here:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/missions/

There's a Thief fan out there that does a spot-on Garrett impersonation, but I can't remember his name or which FMS he worked on.

On-topic:

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Man, like those loving MJ12 agents? They blow up!

Not if you PROD them with the PROD! :science:

Added bonus: they tend to carry biocells

As an aside, for those of you that aren't very eager to play TNM, you should really give Zodiac a try. I'm a bit surprised at how little (if any?) mention it's been given in this thread. It's been a few years since I played it, but it was well done, as I recall.

In a nutshell: instead of sitting around on his rear end, nursing his "bad cold" from the killswitch, Paul decides to actually make something of himself while JC is busy running around Vandenberg, etc. If I remember correctly, it meshed well with the official DX "canon".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BattleMaster posted:

So the books and datacubes at the Templar cathedral suggest that MJ12 is run like a religious order above the grunt level, and that agents give up their names and go by numbers. But the rest of the game doesn't have anything to back that up and even contradicts it. What's the deal with that?

I'm not sure what you mean. MJ-12's security clearances are all names of categories of angels, and they do get into some light mysticism, but that's probably just a holdover from Page and Simons' days in the Illuminati.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
JC Denton. Ten years old. No residence. No ancestors. No employer. What a goony mistake you turned out to be.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. MJ-12's security clearances are all names of categories of angels, and they do get into some light mysticism, but that's probably just a holdover from Page and Simons' days in the Illuminati.

I just loaded up my game and I don't have a save from that area so I'll have to go by memory.

The WIB's journal says that when she was inducted as an acolyte into the order she had to give up her name and be referred to as a number instead. There's at least one more journal in the barracks that I remember as saying more stuff to that effect. The troopers' journals suggest that they think they're working for a private security firm and nothing weird though.

Edit: Found a text dump, I knew I wasn't spewing bullshit!

It doesn't specifically call it a religious organization but that's the vibe I got from it all.

quote:

Adept 34501, Order of the Night Sky,
Third Rank:

Those Who Rule in Majesty, the Twelve, have set you to watch over this place and
record all that may happen so we may benefit from your observations, as you may
benefit from our wisdom.
You are entrusted with a Key to Sidon's Vault: 1942
You are entrusted with a Key to the Fountain of Wisdom: 0022
You are entrusted with a Number and a Secret: 34501, 08711
You will guard all these things with Life and Soul, and do your duty so that the
Fourth Secret may find a place in your Heart.
XII

quote:

Testament of Adept 34501

My name has been taken from me, a thing I need not anymore, and I have been
christened Adept 34501. They have set me to keep a record of this place, to
record a history of its comings and goings so that Those Who Rule might have the
benefit of its knowledge...
...today saw the arrival of Agent Hermann. He is a simple thing, fitted to a
dark purpose by forces he cannot understand. In a way, I feel pity for him -- an
emotion that I know will prevent my advancement beyond the Third Rank -- but it
is pity I feel nonetheless. He has spent most of his time below in the
technology archive, staring at the ancient cross above his head. He burns with a
hatred that I can feel, for himself and for someone else. Periodically he will
receive holographic communications from Simons, after which his hatred burns all
the brighter. I think it has burned away everything human in him, and only the
metal holds him together anymore...
Adept 34501, Order of the Night Sky, Third Rank

quote:

The Doctrine of the Mighty
by The Majestic Council of the Twelve

It is a commonly held precept that two are stronger than one, and that four are
stronger than two, and that sixteen are by far stronger than four; with this,
there can be no argument. If all of human history is but a single lesson, it is
that the individual may be remembered, but the organization persists and
thrives. A single artist, a single general, a single hero or a single villain
may all die, but it is impossible to kill a people, a nation, an idea -- except
when that idea has grown weak and is overpowered by one that is stronger.
This then is the true calling of those who would be mighty and join They Who
Rule the World in Majesty, to shun all that is empty fame and glory; to
eliminate weak thoughts, weak hands, and weak ideas; to give up vain
individuality and instead become a part of something that is glorious and
strong. This is the First Secret, that by surrendering that part of you that is
the least, you are elevated to the Most. The First Secret shall set you free,
and those who know their duty will find in it the keys to immortality.
The Second Secret can be explained to all, but truly understood only by those
who have submitted to the first Body and Soul...

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 23, 2010

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but is the steam version compatible with shifter and biomod and stuff?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SuitDude posted:

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but is the steam version compatible with shifter and biomod and stuff?

Yup!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I bought Invisible War for $2.50 since the lovely DRM'ed copy I bought online like 4 years ago for 20 bucks is out of activations...but I feel so unclean for having done so.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

SuitDude posted:

The only thing different in the Steam release is the .exe file, which includes the protection, but you'll probably end up replacing it with the Deus Exe Launcher anyways. I have mine rigged to use it, have about 10 mods installed on top of Biomod (including the beta version of New Vision) and configured so it runs nicely in 1680x1050 in DirectX 10 mode.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Well, there's several aspects to this, I think.
:goonsay:

Basically, we're lead to believe that most of the MJ-12 grunts (at least in France) were just hired mercenaries. They didn't know enough about MJ-12's real goals that loyalty and secrecy were particularly an issue.

However, the "middle-management" of MJ12 needed to be firmly under Page's control since they would necessarily need to know enough about it to be potentially dangerous if they were captured or defected. Enter the P-series agents (MiBs). The datacubes you mentioned all pertained to the MiB in charge of the Cathedral deployment of MJ12. This was done through "physiopharmaceutical" augmentation as well as "psychological conditioning". In other words, they were constantly drugged and brain-washed. Giving up their name for a number is just part of that de-humanizing/de-individualizing process. Per a developer note in the DX conversation files:

quote:

Sometimes you'll get a M/WIB just whispering to himself, saying weird stuff.
Mentally, these guys are pretty far from normal:
"Cold. Cold and dark. It goes on forever."
"Something's not right here."
"Some of these people are androids. Watch the way they move." :psypop:
"They said the process would make me smarter, but I can't tell."

As for the religious tone, "Sidon's Vault" and the "Fountain of Wisdom" are both freemasonry references, if I'm not mistaken. MJ12 was basically just Page's rip-off of the Illuminati, after all, so it makes sense that it would take a similar masonry-esque form. I don't think you're supposed to infer that any of the MJ12 "brass" (i.e. Page, Simons, Chow, etc.) actually bought into any of it themselves -- it was just a pseudo-mystical "well kept secret" (as Dowd would put it) used to control and manipulate the P-series agents.

As a related aside, there's a point in the game where you can have an odd encounter with a bum in the Free Clinic of Hell's Kitchen. When you first frob him, he says something like, "Who will help the widow's son?" After that, he'll just talk about how he won't "break the Oath" and basically refuses to say anything sensible/useful.

This is another reference to Masonic symbolism. Specifically, the legend of Hiram. If you catch the reference, you're lead to believe that this guy is somehow tied to either the Illuminati or MJ12, but nothing else ever comes of the conversation, sadly.

There's also a woman in there with really creepy dialogue ("By the pricking of my finger..."). The best of her lines is this:

quote:

When the weather changes, we'll be lost and no one will know who anyone else is anymore.

Most people probably just write this off as more crazy-talk. But although I'm not totally certain, I'm fairly sure this actually an allusion to the Donner Party. On the off chance that you don't know this story, a group of settlers is crossing the mountains when the weather changes and they get snowed in by a blizzard. People freeze to death and ultimately, some of the survivors resorted to cannibalism. But the creepiness doesn't end there. See, the problem with butchering a human corpse is that it's rendered unrecognizable ... and many of the survivors were related to the deceased. They could bring themselves to eat old what's-his-face in order to survive, but no one was comfortable with the idea of eating grandpa.

So supposedly, after butchering the dead, the chunks were carefully wrapped and labeled so that no one would accidentally eat their own relatives. :zombie:

Have I mentioned how awesome this game is?

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
New title until tomorrow.

Edit: And stickied.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh my god JC a sale.

A sale.

Anyone who hasn't played it now has absolutely no goddamn excuse. NO EXCUSE.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tomorrow change it to "Deus Ex: Decennial Edition 'What a game.'"

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm trying to use the DirectX 10 launcher for DX1 but I get huge slowdown when the main menu is over the intro sequence and when I try to get into "preferences" and then expand the DX10 tab don't get a dropdown I get "D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice (failed load)" or something like that.

Do I need the .exe replacement when I use the DX10 renderer too?

EDIT: Nevermind, installing that redistributable seemed to fix it!

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 23, 2010

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
Well, I've done something I never thought I would do. I bought Invisible War a second time.

Happy birthday, Deus Ex. :toot: We love you. :love:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Welcome to the Coalition, JCs.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Stathol posted:

Well, there's several aspects to this, I think.
:goonsay:

That's a pretty cool analysis, thanks. I hadn't picked up on the psychological conditioning part of their creation.

Though they might do things differently in France because there are at least 2 named MIBs/WIBs. The one in the UNATCO HQ basement (he has an e-mail account), the one in the catacombs (mentioned in dialogue), and possibly the dead one in the final area of the ocean lab (he dropped a datacube with a message that might be addressed to him).

I don't know, the stuff in the cathedral just seemed a tiny bit out of place.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to use the DirectX 10 launcher for DX1 but I get huge slowdown when the main menu is over the intro sequence and when I try to get into "preferences" and then expand the DX10 tab don't get a dropdown I get "D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice (failed load)" or something like that.

Do I need the .exe replacement when I use the DX10 renderer too?

EDIT: Nevermind, installing that redistributable seemed to fix it!

I got black boxes around some hud elements including the mouse cursor which seem like they would otherwise be transparent, how do I fix this?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Zorak posted:

Welcome to the Coalition, JCs.

Guess we should start using our codenames.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tecman posted:

The only thing different in the Steam release is the .exe file, which includes the protection, but you'll probably end up replacing it with the Deus Exe Launcher anyways. I have mine rigged to use it, have about 10 mods installed on top of Biomod (including the beta version of New Vision) and configured so it runs nicely in 1680x1050 in DirectX 10 mode.

Awesome, thanks man I didn't know about any of this stuff :)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

On the anniversary of this important occasion, UNATCO reminds all agents to stick with the prod and prod with the prod.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Why should you buy Deus ex? It's all in the numbers.

Number one? That's terror.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What would a Deus Ex need with electronic sales?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Happy Birthday, Deus Ex. May people keep discovering new things on their thousandth playthrough for another 10 years!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KillHour posted:

Happy Birthday, Deus Ex. May people keep discovering new things on their thousandth playthrough for another 10 years!

I, for example, recently discovered that there's a paper lantern in Maggie Chow's apartment which opens the door to the secret area with the you-know-what inside. A dozen times I must have played the game and I never found it, I always took the long way.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

I, for example, recently discovered that there's a paper lantern in Maggie Chow's apartment which opens the door to the secret area with the you-know-what inside. A dozen times I must have played the game and I never found it, I always took the long way.

I found that on my first playthrough. I was exploring her apartment, came to that corner, went "Huh? This looks out of place." and clicked it. :monocle:

I had bought Maggie's sob story too, so this pretty much blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
On my current unrealistic playthrough I found that floor panel in Alex's computer lab for the first time. I also found at least three new things on Liberty Island. Happy birthday, Deus Ex.

Question: what weapon should I laser sight? I've never used one before; on previous playthroughs I've always scoped the stealth pistol. I was thinking either that or the Magnum (Shifter), but are there other useful ones?