Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

$2.50? Christ, I need to just start sending it to everyone I know who for some reason hasn't played it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Happy birthday world's greatest game, now I gotta keep working on pretending Invisible War doesn't exist.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm having this weird issue where, on Windows 7, if I'm using Aero and trying to run the game in full screen, with the Deus Exe thing in the OP, the game just automatically minimizes after a second. I can disable aero and play it fine, but is there a way to play this without disabling aero?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I, for example, recently discovered that there's a paper lantern in Maggie Chow's apartment which opens the door to the secret area with the you-know-what inside. A dozen times I must have played the game and I never found it, I always took the long way.

haha I found that my first time through :P. But yeah, I'm sure there's a ton of secret passages everywhere that I must have missed myself.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

roboshit posted:

Happy birthday world's greatest game, now I gotta keep working on pretending Invisible War doesn't exist.

Or Human Revolutions. Glad to see the original still holds up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OregonDonor posted:

On my current unrealistic playthrough I found that floor panel in Alex's computer lab for the first time. I also found at least three new things on Liberty Island. Happy birthday, Deus Ex.

Question: what weapon should I laser sight? I've never used one before; on previous playthroughs I've always scoped the stealth pistol. I was thinking either that or the Magnum (Shifter), but are there other useful ones?

Any pistol! I haven't played any of the mods (and I haven't patched my copy of Deus Ex because I can't be bothered/am afraid that it will remove the helpful glitches like the inventory bug) but at least on my version, if you slap a laser sight on a pistol, it becomes 100% accurate no matter how unskilled you are. It's still worth it to upgrade your pistol skill because it affects damage and recoil but you can still quickly and reliably get headshots with the sight alone.

For some reason, on my copy, using a scope and a laser sight together removes this 100% accuracy so I always leave it unscoped, but I've heard people say that it works with the scope too so maybe it got fixed in a patch or something.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
I've never played Deus Ex (don't hurt me), so I'm jumping on this. But can anyone tell me (without causing a massive thread derail/argument) whether the sequel is worth buying as well?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you can't go wrong getting both for $4 but honestly it sucks so really it depends on how much you value the time you waste on it.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm having this weird issue where, on Windows 7, if I'm using Aero and trying to run the game in full screen, with the Deus Exe thing in the OP, the game just automatically minimizes after a second. I can disable aero and play it fine, but is there a way to play this without disabling aero?

I don't have the game myself and I'm not sure how it will work on steam, but if you go to the properties of the .exe file, find the option that says "disable desktop composition" and turn that on. When the game runs aero will automatically disable itself then turn back on once you quit the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ff7cid posted:

I've never played Deus Ex (don't hurt me), so I'm jumping on this. But can anyone tell me (without causing a massive thread derail/argument) whether the sequel is worth buying as well?

Yeah, it is. $2.50 is a pittance, and well worth it to see the followup to one of the greatest games of all time. It may not actually be good, but you will want to experience it in one way or another regardless of that fact. After you get done playing the first game, you will want to know what direction they take it, and why everyone hated it. It's $2.50 for an intriguing piece of game history. You may only play it for an hour before starting a second playthrough of the first Deus Ex, or hey, you might actually end up liking it and want to play through all of it.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch
I decided that I waste 2.50 on lots of stuff, so even if I only get 2 hours of out invisible war I pretty much got my money's worth.

Picked them both up but won't install them for at least a few days most likely.

Totally virgin to both games so I'm excited to try.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

ff7cid posted:

I'm sure it will cause a massive thread derail despite what you wish. Invisible War has a clunky, bad engine and in my opinion not worth bothering with playing at all, even if given away for free. There are many better games out there to play instead.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
^^whoops.

Yeah, it is. $2.50 is a pittance, and well worth it to see the followup to one of the greatest games of all time. It may not actually be good, but you will want to experience it in one way or another regardless of that fact. After you get done playing the first game, you will want to know what direction they take it, and why everyone hated it. It's $2.50 for an intriguing piece of game history. You may only play it for an hour before starting a second playthrough of the first Deus Ex, or hey, you might actually end up liking it and want to play through all of it.

You make a good point, It'd probably bug me knowing there's a sequel. Purchasing both now, thanks!

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Even though I already have this, I bought the Steam version just so I don't have to keep the disc in my noisy drive. Plus it's GOTY edition compared to my original.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The game is $2.50 and I still can't convince myself that I can afford it. Moving, school, bills, and recently starting a new job has me in the worst financial status of my life. I find it pretty sad that I can't afford to spend $2.50 on a game.

Deus Ex: IW is good enough for me I guess

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I am terrible at this game. Even the tutorial stumped me. :suicide:

e: never mind, I found the pad in the box after starting from scratch. Stupid sadistic security bot shot my arms and legs off but wouldn't kill me, so I was rolling around on the ground looking for a way to get past the keypad.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ImpAtom posted:

$2.50? Christ, I need to just start sending it to everyone I know who for some reason hasn't played it yet.

I could use a copy.

Here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First four people to pm me their email address gets the original/IW package. Please don't ask unless you don't own or seriously never played it before. Honor system here. I won't sell your email or anything dumb like that.

edit: I ask for email because I have to wait for a friend reply on steam and I'm not logged on all that much. It's just quicker/easier with your email.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 23, 2010

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

PM sent. If this happens, you are a god amongst men!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Does it come in orange?
I WANT ORANGE.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Even though I already have this, I bought the Steam version just so I don't have to keep the disc in my noisy drive. Plus it's GOTY edition compared to my original.

GOTY edition is just a patch for mp...

If you got the GOTY retail edition you got the soundtrack which is awesome. I have both :). Bought the game three times already.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay that's four. To the people I sent it off to happy gaming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

I could use a copy.

Here.

Sure, what the hell. Once it accepts you as a friend, I'll send it along.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 23, 2010

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

SRQ posted:

Does it come in orange?
I WANT ORANGE.

"Orange Box" is already taken.

"Deus Ex: The Lemon-Lime Box" :smug:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

Okay that's four. To the people I sent it off to happy gaming.

I feel like I just won the lottery! Thanks, I'm going to have to see what all the fuss is about tomorrow after work!

the_tourist
Jun 14, 2000

I am a prototype for a much larger system.
I just installed the HD texture pack for IW, and now the game freezes after a few seconds on the title screen. Have any of you used this with the steam client?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

I feel like I just won the lottery! Thanks, I'm going to have to see what all the fuss is about tomorrow after work!

Try not to be turned off by the first level. It's really large and overwhelming for a first time player. The game becomes more focused once you make it past the first three major missions and you become a competent super soldier.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

the_tourist posted:

I just installed the HD texture pack for IW, and now the game freezes after a few seconds on the title screen. Have any of you used this with the steam client?

I did though I never had that happen to me, using 32 bit vista

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nickhimself posted:

The game is $2.50 and I still can't convince myself that I can afford it. Moving, school, bills, and recently starting a new job has me in the worst financial status of my life. I find it pretty sad that I can't afford to spend $2.50 on a game.

Deus Ex: IW is good enough for me I guess

JC:Maybe you should try getting a job

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

al-azad posted:

First four people to pm me their email address gets the original/IW package. Please don't ask unless you don't own or seriously never played it before. Honor system here. I won't sell your email or anything dumb like that.

edit: I ask for email because I have to wait for a friend reply on steam and I'm not logged on all that much. It's just quicker/easier with your email.

I like this idea. I'm waiting on getting a credit card but who's up for donating to the uncultured masses who have not played DE1 and DE2?

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Just bought it for my friend (a goon) who never played it. My gift message was "Prove you're not a graphics whore." I really loving hope he plays through it. I'm also hoping this repays him buying me Dragon Age: Origins a couple months ago...

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nickhimself posted:

Aquinas wrote about a mythical city on the hill. This game is what it would be like if he made a videogame about nanotechnology instead

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

This will have been the third time I have purchased Deus Ex.

Not a shame. :smug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

This will have been the third time I have purchased Deus Ex.

Not a shame. :smug:

drat straight. DE Threepeat!

technovert
Oct 29, 2009
Urge to buy rising.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
If you don't buy this now or haven't already bought it, you should just get permabanned.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm using Windows 7 with Aero and I'm running the game just fine without any of those "fixers". I tried it straight out of the box (or download, whatever), didn't have any issues, so I figured why bother installing a fixer. So I dunno.. try uninstalling the fixer?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I feel quite ashamed that I never played this, even though I was at exactly the right age to enjoy it when it came out. Time to remedy that at the price of two tacos and a small horchata.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
Bought it on a Mac when it came out.

Bought it on a PC years later.

Bought it again on Steam today.

loving love this game.

p.s Any mods for DX:IW that make it suck less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidDuck
Nov 14, 2005
Anatidaephobia has you.
drat you Something Awful for bringing this to my attention and Steam for making me spend my money.