Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Phy posted:

1300 km circle route over two days. Not Iron Butt material, but not bad for me.

What is the point of the Iron Butt? The more distance rides I do, the more I question people who brag about Iron Butt. Covering 1000 miles in 24 hours doesn't lend itself to enjoyable riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

What is the point of the Iron Butt? The more distance rides I do, the more I question people who brag about Iron Butt. Covering 1000 miles in 24 hours doesn't lend itself to enjoyable riding.

Dick waving, mostly. Plus there seems to be a subsection of riders who think that if your Saturday is less than 1000km it's pissweak. I don't get the whole doing big distances all the time for the sake of it either.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

What's the point of the Baja 1000 to an amateur? What's the point of hill climbing? While Iron Butt appeals to the patch collectors and emotionally needy, some of the rides present real challenges in terms of logistics and endurance. Much respect to anyone who can do Mexico to Canada in 24.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

What's the point of the Baja 1000 to an amateur? What's the point of hill climbing? While Iron Butt appeals to the patch collectors and emotionally needy, some of the rides present real challenges in terms of logistics and endurance. Much respect to anyone who can do Mexico to Canada in 24.

Pffff. That would be so easy I could do tha... oh hours? Nevermind. :ohdear:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

It's just as impressive as people winning a pole sitting competition.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

KARMA! posted:

It's just as impressive as people winning a pole sitting competition.

Beats Finland's Wife-Carrying World Championship. By a wide margin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

Saturday was one of my longest days in the saddle in terms of both distance and time, and I put in a little over 400 miles. It's just amazing to me that there are people who easily do double, and on better roads with less deer on them.

e: well maybe not easily, but you get what I mean.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Seeing those fancy panniers, I've been wondering for a while were I could find some cheap ones here in Germany. Those built specifically for motorbikes are well above a 100 euros so I have been laying my eyes on the cheap aluminum toolboxes you can buy in hardware stores everywhere which cost about 30-50 euros for 30l sizes. I will build my own mounting system and reinforce the drilled holes since the toolboxes are made of thinner material and I figure I'll be fine for tours on normal roads.

Problem is, I couldn't find any in the right (slim and tall) dimensions after checking out 15 hardware stores and no one knew where I could order different sizes or the manufacturers plain don't offer any other sizes.

There's one fitting box type offered on ebay, but it goes for 80 euros. If I cannot find anything else I will probably go with these, but I would really like to find some cheaper ones. Do any of the euro bikers know a good place to find something like that?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- Removed the funk of 40,000 years from the chain, sprocket, lower pipes, frame and whatnot. Had it carbon dated. It really is 40k yrs old.

- Bled the brakes and topped off the fluid.

- Ran it--days, evenings, weekends. Evolving into a well-mannered daily driver.

- Installed Honda logo valve stem caps courtesy of Dr. Zero. I have a 7-page set of instructions with detailed illustrations if anyone's interested in this upgrade.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Dick waving, mostly. Plus there seems to be a subsection of riders who think that if your Saturday is less than 1000km it's pissweak. I don't get the whole doing big distances all the time for the sake of it either.

The fun doesn't begin till you're 700miles in baby.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
The fun doesn't begin until the fastest you can go is 5 miles in 8 hours. Now that, is action. Its not about the distance, but the journey.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Jharkov posted:

The fun doesn't begin until the fastest you can go is 5 miles in 8 hours. Now that, is action. Its not about the distance, but the journey.

What'd you do, carry your bike? I backpack faster than that.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Iron butt? For what, your gay boyfriend(s)? It's all about the Iron Back.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jharkov posted:

Spare me the hippie bullshit 'a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. Size matters. Just not engine displacement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Spare me the hippie bullshit 'a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. Size matters. Just not engine displacement.

That's why true enthusiasts have kick starters!

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

UserNotFound posted:

What'd you do, carry your bike? I backpack faster than that.

This sorta shite. Then i can slap on the road wheels and chase sport bikes on the black stuff!

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

blugu64 posted:

Distance doesn't matter either. For me, anyway.
Iron butts have to be the most boring type of riding. Whats the point? Sit on the bike and just watch the scenery roll by, trying to rack up those numbers on the odometer, to beat the other guys score.

Trail riding you have a vast variety of terrain, smell the roses type stuff. But then again i do enjoy a ride on a nice set of tight switchbacks too. But the open sweeper type stuff, and freeways i'd prefer to stay away from.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Chris Knight posted:

That's why true enthusiasts have kick starters!

TESTIFY!

Iron Butt by any other name is 90% of what's actually happening in Long Way 'Round--when people aren't mugging for the camera, frolicking in the lake, getting warm in the chase van, and inventing crises. I understand if this point is lost on a generation that exited the womb with video game controllers in hand. Getting anywhere interesting is hard work, and there are those among us who enjoy every minute.

There's a negligible difference between someone wearing a patch and someone posting a trip report featuring the "Welcome to Utah" sign and the thread count of their socks.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Iron butt to me is just riding smooth open roads on a big touring bike, with no interesting change in road surface, or cultural changes.

Long way around definiately isn't iron butt. Its Adventure riding, though they do lose quite a few points with the support vehicle and equipment.

http://www.mondoenduro.com/

Thats what its all about for me.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Got a damage estimate from the dealer for $3134.

Turns out the fairings and gas tank are made of unobtainium or something.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I don't need a patch but I definitely enjoy getting on the bike and just...going. As long and as far as I can just to see new places, sites, roads, people, etc.

I understand the appeal of twisties, off road adventures, going fast and taking your bike to the limit but I just like relaxing on a long easy ride a lot of the time.

I guess I'm old.

Edit: For content, I put the stock air cleaner back on my bike. It loses a tad bit of performance but it's way more comfortable. I need to find an aftermarket that breathes well and doesn't stick out 5 miles.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Freeways are for schmucks. That and having to adjust the valves once a month is a pita.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Jharkov posted:

Iron butt to me is just riding smooth open roads on a big touring bike, with no interesting change in road surface, or cultural changes.

Long way around definiately isn't iron butt. Its Adventure riding, though they do lose quite a few points with the support vehicle and equipment.

http://www.mondoenduro.com/

Thats what its all about for me.

Agreed, and thanks for this link. I guess my comparison was more about the tedious, mind-numbing stretches common to many forms of motorcycling--in Dust to Glory they called it "blowing bubbles."

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I won parts for my bike on ebay last night just after midnight and now the seller is trying to cancel the transactions because he forgot to put a reserve in. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I won parts for my bike on ebay last night just after midnight and now the seller is trying to cancel the transactions because he forgot to put a reserve in. :(

I don't think they can do that, you can probably take the screws to him over it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- Removed the chain guard and found another pound of solidified crud. Went at the chain and associated bits again with the aid of a jack and better lighting.

- Adjusted the rear brake so that there...is one now.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Z3n posted:

I don't think they can do that, you can probably take the screws to him over it.

The only screws available on Ebay are only to be operated by Ebay, and only in circumstances that make no sense to anyone.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

Pretty much if he cashes out the PayPal than I won't be able to get my money back. I don't need to deal with someone holding my money or items hostage. I won two other items from him as well so those could also be held hostage which would suck. I don't really need the rear wheel with almost new tire, but I figured at $31+S&H it'd save me some money in the future, nor do I need the gas tank for the same price even though mine has some small dents in it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Pretty much if he cashes out the PayPal than I won't be able to get my money back. I don't need to deal with someone holding my money or items hostage. I won two other items from him as well so those could also be held hostage which would suck. I don't really need the rear wheel with almost new tire, but I figured at $31+S&H it'd save me some money in the future, nor do I need the gas tank for the same price even though mine has some small dents in it.

He can't do that. You can report him to eBay and Paypal. At the very least you'll get the money back and he'll have actions taken against him, which may or may not involve suspension of his selling privileges. If you can afford to have your money tied up, I'd pin him to the wall over it. It's a really lovely thing to pull and people like that don't deserve to be selling to others on eBay.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

He can't do that. You can report him to eBay and Paypal. At the very least you'll get the money back and he'll have actions taken against him, which may or may not involve suspension of his selling privileges. If you can afford to have your money tied up, I'd pin him to the wall over it. It's a really lovely thing to pull and people like that don't deserve to be selling to others on eBay.

I agree. He's going to do it to other people if he thinks he can get away with it. If you can spare the time/cash I would make him honor things.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Scrapez posted:

I agree. He's going to do it to other people if he thinks he can get away with it. If you can spare the time/cash I would make him honor things.
This is a huge, HUGE no-no. Once an item sells, the seller is bound by the terms, and must deliver it for whatever price it sold for. They can pull the auction with 1 second left to go if they made a mistake (like forgetting a reserve). They lose their listing fee, but they don't have to honor the highest bid. Once the clock goes ding, however...

A number of years ago, I was buying a CD as a christmas present from a seller on Ebay who had nearly 30k positive feedback listed. This seller also had a brick and mortar store.

I buy the CD, pay with paypal, get a note from the seller, "I don't have this item - it sold across the counter in the store last night."
Dropped a trouble ticket to Ebay. 48 hours later I had my money back, and the seller had gone to NARU (Not A Registerd User) hell.

Last week: Maintenance Day - checked the pressures, checked oil, checked and lubed the chains, etc.

Yesterday: Went for a ride to clear a tough day from my head.
Rode the SR250 around for a bit, turning circles in the cul-de-sac in front of the house, leaning over as much as I could, to scrub in the new tire on the back, then went out on the 'fast' streets (45MPH) to see how the bike felt. Still need to replace the chain and the front tire.

Put the little bike away, and got on the KLR. The pegs on the KLR are SO much lower (because the bike is SO much taller), that at first, I felt like I was just dangling my legs off either side of the bike. =)

Got about a mile and a half from home, and the bike started feeling...'funny'. Lumpy. Missy. A little under the weather. Something. Not enough to turn around, just enough to be aware and alert.

Got about 2.5 miles from home, and the bike just flat out died. Had an epiphany - I'd seen this once before! Put the bike in neutral, let the clutch out, and reached down to flip the petcock to "RES". Put the bike in 2nd gear, and let the clutch out slowly, while adding throttle.

Came right back to life! Off I rode to the gas station. 5.3 gallons.

I was stoked that I didn't stop to mess with the petcock, and that I was able to 'bumpstart' the bike while I was still in motion.

Today:
Rode it 27.2 miles to work.
Did 'the wave' to a Model A Ford coming the other way. Got 'the wave' back from the driver. =)
Went into a full-on race tuck coming down Pena Blvd to the airport. Not having a speedometer (only a gear calculator and a tachometer) I think I hit about 82 MPH.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
My KLR fell over when I parked it on some dirt, apparently the stand sunk into the dirt. Some neighbours put it back up and put some wood under the stand, but my cluth lever (that I replaced already cause I had dropped the bike and it broke) was bent at the end. No other damage. Trying to bend the lever back broke off the round nub at the end, so I filed it all smooth and covered the tip with tape. Hope I don't crash and stab myself with it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

niethan posted:

My KLR fell over when I parked it on some dirt, apparently the stand sunk into the dirt. Some neighbours put it back up and put some wood under the stand, but my cluth lever (that I replaced already cause I had dropped the bike and it broke) was bent at the end. No other damage. Trying to bend the lever back broke off the round nub at the end, so I filed it all smooth and covered the tip with tape. Hope I don't crash and stab myself with it.
Sup, 'I broke the ball off my KLR Clutch Lever' buddy!
If you hit the clutch lever hard enough to get stabbed with it, the ball isn't going to stop it.
I didn't even bother with tape. And now it's almost the perfect length for two-fingering it.

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
Hardest metal known to man.
My moped got the gas-curse today.
What would happen was that when I turned the throttle it would purr and then the engine would begin dying as the throttle was fully turned.

So my dad and I opened it up thinking it might've been squirrels in the carburetor. We immediately saw that pigs had been infesting the engine bay, screwing around and de-threading various orifices.
We cleaned the carburetor with high pressure air once we had gotten it loose and then spent about one and a half hours trying to get all the screws back. We thought the problem was unsolvable, for us, and nurtured the thought of handing it in to a professional mechanic. We put everything back and I prepared for a slow journey home..

.. Only to realise that we had "solved" the problem, unwittingly installed cruise-control and made it more exhilirated! I have to hold on to the brakes at red lights or else it will drive off on its own but when I'm doing 60km/h and release the throttle it will continue to surf on ~55km/h until I brake and it will continue on slower paces. This was kind of cool but I can sense a future of paying for a couple of intersection misshaps. The engine was also rushing to get up to its maximum speed which was fun, until some old lady rushed a yield-sign and almost made me a cripple.

I drive carefully though.
But what did we do wrong/right?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Jesus loving Christ. I was out trying to pull the tupperware of my K75 today. That is a serious pain in the rear end. I got my Clymers guide, my little bag of tools and a glass of water, expecting for the stuff to pull off in 6 or 7 bolts like on the Jap bikes... no. Adolf is very loving thorough when it comes to attaching plastic to his motorcycles. I got the lower engine cover off after having to remove some extra pieces it said did not need to be messed with, then I gave up around the time the book side I had to remove the radiator cover separately, then the windscreen, then pull the wires from the turn signals before removing something like 12 screws per side, most of which I couldn't even see.

I miss my little Ninja 250 and it's ridiculously simple tupperware removal procedure. :(

...Hell, at this point I even miss my KLR and I loving hated that motorbike.

Any of you guys happen to be familiar with the procedure for a 1987 K75S? Tips? Tricks? Sanity check?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jabs posted:

If you hit the clutch lever hard enough to get stabbed with it, the ball isn't going to stop it.
I didn't even bother with tape. And now it's almost the perfect length for two-fingering it.

The tape is for extra grippage, so I don't slip the hell off. I wanted to shrink wrap the whole lever, but couldn't find the right size shrink tube in the workshop.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

PadreScout posted:

...Hell, at this point I even miss my KLR and I loving hated that motorbike.

Sanity check?
There's your sanity check right there. ;)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
New Tires and a coolant flush on my SV650S.

The difference in turn-in is amazing from my old rear end flat as hell tires.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

One of my friends broke the end off a clutch lever, so he built up a new ball out of JB Weld to get it "legal" again. (Ignore everything else on it that's horribly illegal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Vstar 1300 comes pretty much poorly tuned from the factory to meet EPA 2012 standards (ON A 07 MODEL). Practice makes perfect I guess. Imagine getting a perfectly good bike, then adding pod filters and free-flowing exhaust but skimping on the re-jet. That's how it rides straight out of the crate.

Typical shenanigans include leaning out and losing combustion at light throttle, which basically means in turns, bad bogging at seemingly-realistic RPM, and popping on decel.

So I bought this silly little hack that basically gives the O2 sensor circuit some extra resistance, thereby fooling the ECU into thinking it's running lean and adding more fuel via increased pulse width. The compromise between this and a traditional fuel pack or Power Commander is that it only does this while it's paying attention to the sensors. The good news is that it's pretty much any time I'm at <50% rpm and <100% throttle. It's also $50 and I got it in 3 business days.

IT IS A MIRACLE DEVICE. Tunes out everything I don't like about riding on the bike. Throttle on/off transition is smooth as butter. Don't have to slip 2nd all the way to 40+mph to avoid bog and stutter, behaves as I approach stoplights, and widens the useful power band appreciably.

That's what I did to my ride today.