Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think my brother and I own like 7 copies of this game between us but I just bought DX1 and 2 for $5 and will probably play through them again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Happy Bear Suit posted:

This will have been the third time I have purchased Deus Ex.

Not a shame. :smug:
I've got three physical copies, two GOTY, one original. :smug: I'm tempted to own a digital copy but sticking the DX disk in is less hassle than replacing the exe of the Steam version once it's done (well not really since I have to delete the cd check line from the ini after it's installed but eh, still not worth bothering to buy a fourth copy).

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Just spent my last £1.50 on this :v:

worth it. Never played the PC version, I had it on ps2

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Haha when you go to buy the package deal on Steam

pre:
Package price:                 $19.98
Happy 10th Birthday, Deus Ex: -$15.00 
Cost to you:                   $4.98
:3:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Just downloaded it and played it for the first time tonight. Where did those six hours go again?

drat you goons for depriving me of my precious sleep!

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Just downloaded it and played it for the first time tonight. Where did those six hours go again?

drat you goons for depriving me of my precious sleep!

What a shame.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm tempted to own a digital copy but sticking the DX disk in is less hassle than replacing the exe of the Steam version once it's done (well not really since I have to delete the cd check line from the ini after it's installed but eh, still not worth bothering to buy a fourth copy).

Just buy it to have a backup on Steam in case you lose your discs. I don't normally condone that sort of behaviour but Deus Ex is one of the few games that justify it and also it's cheap as gently caress.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Bought the pack because I lost my old CD of Deus Ex and wanted to try Invisible War for shits and giggles. No one has an excuse. The games cheap and will run on your lovely loving laptop.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I think if I lost all my copies of Deus Ex I'd be too busy being bummed by the fire/burglary/whatever to be relieved that I bought an online copy.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Jetsetlemming posted:

I think if I lost all my copies of Deus Ex I'd be too busy being bummed by the fire/burglary/whatever to be relieved that I bought an online copy.

They broke in just to steal the CD and the disk spontaneously combusted, imaginary problem solved.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Universal ammo was really gay

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Happy Bear Suit posted:

This will have been the third time I have purchased Deus Ex.

Not a shame. :smug:

I think it's about the third or fourth time for me as well.

:smug::hf::smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I bought it when it came out, and then again when it got a GotY edition, and then again on the PS2 (It was $1, so why the hell not) and then again on Steam. I am a terrible whore for Deus Ex.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Is anyone else having this issue with the Steam version? All of the speech is sped up, and cuts off the end of all conversation, also it seems like when I'm walking around the faster I go like I'm always picking up speed. Weird.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Destro85 posted:

Is anyone else having this issue with the Steam version? All of the speech is sped up, and cuts off the end of all conversation, also it seems like when I'm walking around the faster I go like I'm always picking up speed. Weird.

It's an issue with the game and modern processors.

Use the fixer provided in the OP.

e; VVV

Destro85 posted:

Sorry about that, and thanks for pointing it out.
No worries. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 23, 2010

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Ansob. posted:

It's an issue with the game and modern processors.

Use the fixer provided in the OP.

I am...

Oh wait no I'm not. I thought the DX10 renderer was bundled with the fixer. Sorry about that, and thanks for pointing it out.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2010

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
Puchased. That'll be my second copy of Deus Ex, and now I have IW too, so I can see what all the fuss is about.

Gimmie the GEP gun.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
edit: quote is not edit

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God drat it. I finished Deus Ex for the first time yesterday, had no idea it was the tenth anniversary, and bought the sequel for £6.99 literally about an hour before the sale. Oh well.

Thanks for this thread, by the way. Despite owning a couple of copies of Deus Ex, I'd never played it all the way through and had dismissed it as overrated. I really enjoyed it this time through, though. There were a couple of 'holy poo poo' revelatory moments which I really enjoyed, and it's a credit to the game that they weren't forced on me, but there in the background to be discovered. Specifically, talking to Morpheus and finding out why it personally thinks it exists. It's not often in a game that you're just talking to some background character and get a huge flash of insight into humanity itself, along with a sudden realisation of just what the game title is referring to - very literally God in the machine.

I was quite surprised at the freedom I had to kill Anna Navarre so early on in the game, and how it actually affected the rest of the game - not in a serious plot-changing way, but certainly in Gunther's personal vendetta against JC. Kind of annoyed me when I realised that that specific 'freedom' wasn't really available with some other major characters, but it was still an excellent game.

Also, I love how trivial the GEP gun makes boss fights. Walton Simons was great - ran out of his field of view, equipped the GEP, stepped out. "There's no use hiding, Dento-"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Leovinus posted:

Also, I love how trivial the GEP gun makes boss fights. Walton Simons was great - ran out of his field of view, equipped the GEP, stepped out. "There's no use hiding, Dento-"

Aggressive Defense is better a better way to kill him. I turned it on and backed off so that his plasma gun was useless. In response to me fleeing he decided to chuck a LAM but it exploded in his face.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a way to fix the darkness problem that Windowed mode has, or am I stuck in fullscreen?

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
holy poo poo, deus ex for free

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leovinus posted:

Is there a way to fix the darkness problem that Windowed mode has, or am I stuck in fullscreen?

What's wrong with fullscreen? It'll run at any resolution with the fixer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I finally bought this game, no Idea why I didn't do it before because I heard about it 8 years ago and wanted to try it ever since.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Leovinus posted:

Not without terribly washing out the game.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ansob. posted:

What's wrong with fullscreen? It'll run at any resolution with the fixer.

I usually prefer to play older games windowed, so I can have IRC or something on in the background, but I guess this game just SUCKS <:mad:>

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Does anyone still have DXTool or any of the other Invisible War tools on their computers? I can't find a working mirror and I really want to suffer my way through the game for some reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jusion posted:

Does anyone still have DXTool or any of the other Invisible War tools on their computers? I can't find a working mirror and I really want to suffer my way through the game for some reason.

There's a working mirror a couple of pages back - I know it was working because I got DXTool off it two days ago:

Tecman posted:

I hope the planets are aligned in your favor (so that the tech will actually work for you). Also if you're serious about playing IW, you need two things: The John P Texture Pack and The DXTool so you can tweak the game (especially so you can make the gigantic text smaller).

Good luck, goon.

So far the game works fine with just DXTool and the texture pack. I haven't bothered to hack it to be widescreen, though I wish it could be windowed.

Fugamang
May 23, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump
Huh, is shifter really only 2 mb big? That's weird

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
That's actually not terribly surprising since Shifter doesn't really add any new content, per se. It mostly just modifies game mechanics, and patches in a few removed bits of dialogue that were still hanging around in the resource files. Since all of its resources already exist in vanilla Deus Ex, it doesn't need to be very large.

drkhrs2020 posted:

p.s Any mods for DX:IW that make it suck less?
There's John P's texture pack, but it's currently spewing 509 thanks to the 10 year anniversary goon rush :dance:

There's also a mod that lets you change the font size and tweak some other things about the UI. I can't think of the name of it, but someone linked it a few pages back, I think.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Missed it by a day, but happy 10th anyway! DX is probably the only game I go back to every couple of years and play through again. I wish I'd found the DXTool and other fixes last year when I went through it again. Oh well, there's always next time :v:

My favourite trick was to take down guards and hide the bodies out of the way:

Then I found out what happens when you just toss them anywhere without paying attention:

Zorak posted:

Welcome to the Coalition, JCs.

"Thanks for getting me in."

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2010

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
HAPPY BIRFDAY DEUS EX :neckbeard:

(Today was also my sister's birthday so I bought her a DE copy on steam)

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Ansob. posted:

I haven't bothered to hack it to be widescreen, though I wish it could be windowed.
in the iw /system folder open default.cfg and there are two variables you have to changes from true to false, startupfullscreen and usefullscreen. You can change the resolution in game ofc.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Edit: Whatever, I'll get both.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Destro85 posted:

This is a common problem that has to do with the original Unreal engine's sound channel. Open up the Default.ini in the Deus Ex system folder and find the line "Latency" under Galaxy audio or something. It should read 40 or less. Setting it to 60 fixed the problem for me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Chris Knight posted:

"Fanks for getting me in."
I believe this is what you meant.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Only played this once on Gametap when I still had it, and the whole thing was basically "uuuhhhh, uuuuhhhh, oh god I'm confused :ohdear:", and also played a tiny bit of Invisible War when my brother and I raided the used-game bin. Even though I'm still waiting on getting a good gaming computer (yes I know how non-hardware-intensive this game is, I'm stuck with loving Linux because this laptop is metaphorically geriatric), and my backlog of PC games is starting to resemble Robot Hobo's, 5$ for both games is a steal.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Strudel Man posted:

I believe this is what you meant.

Yer sew bad!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Another message board I visit has someone who worked in game Q&A, he posted a thing about Deus Ex:

quote:

I wish I had an amusing story to share about testing this one. But I don't. Warren Spector is the best game designer I've ever worked with, and actually listened to and respected the testers. He got us to start testing in the early Alpha stage. Most of our suggestions for gameplay and balancing were actually implemented- in some cases, Warren over-rode the programmer's desire to close the bug out and told them we were right. The game (at least in my opinion) was much better for it.

It was the source of the best bug I've ever read, though. I can only paraphrase, I fear I'm not doing it justice.

Summary- "Deep, wet shaft offers no climax."

Description- "Having maxed out my swimming skill, when I reached level 15, I got really excited. Here was a chance to use my talents- a long, water-filled shaft just waiting for me to plunge into. Unfortunately, after thrusting myself underwater and pushing my way to the bottom, I found nothing to relieve my probing. This area needs a reward."

Developer- "GEP gun and corpse added to bottom of shaft. Fixed"
Developer 2- "This has got to be the dirtiest bug I've ever read."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

^^^^ That is cool to hear about Warren Spector. He may not always make the best game, but he sure as heck tries (most of the time).

I have played through this game 4 times now and I have a physical copy. Yet I just bought it again simply because I'll never have to locate my disks again.

Awesome deals like this have made my Steam account absolutely bulge. My game list is so big now I will need to consider leaving my login info to someone in my will.

KungfooMF fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 23, 2010