Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

squidflakes posted:

Alright! This could open up a whole new wave of lovely boring pictures made "interesting" because of the WOAH! HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE! You won't even have to have photoshop to make that tree look like its JUST SO AWESOME!

It has the possibility of giving good photographers higher dynamic range to get rid of clipping. A very very good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

poopinmymouth posted:

It has the possibility of giving good photographers higher dynamic range to get rid of clipping. A very very good thing.

How would it work with any sort of lighting equipment?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
The same way it would with natural light?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

poopinmymouth posted:

Ahhh, that is a good thing.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

It's in camera HDR, not tone mapping

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

notlodar posted:

It's in camera HDR, not tone mapping

:supaburn: HDR :supaburn:

I think this could either be really useful or really worthless. Like every new whizbang they bring out...

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

TsarAleksi posted:

I think this could either be really useful or really worthless. Like every new whizbang they bring out...

:supaburn: ANYTHING EVER :supaburn:

And I can't really use a feature like this for my photos so bah. And humbug.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Helmacron posted:

And I can't really use a feature like this for my photos so bah. And humbug.

You've never taken a shot with so much dynamic range that you have to choose to either blow highlights or lose shadows?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TsarAleksi posted:

:supaburn: whizbang :supaburn:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I wonder how they're planning to keep an acceptable level of contrast. It's great if you can individually adjust each pixel to exactly the correct exposure, but then you will end up with something that is entirely gray.

And you can't just save it as an HDR file and call it a day, either, because eventually your output medium isn't going to be able to handle all the data, and you will have to :supaburn: TONE MAP :supaburn:

Anything that increases the dynamic range of a given pixel is great, but I'm seriously questioning if this is the right method.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Good thing its just a patent and not a concept made by some fuckshit industrial designer or else I'd have to get really mad

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
There's also the limited dynamic range of output media to consider.

e: Oh I see.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

orange lime posted:

I wonder how they're planning to keep an acceptable level of contrast. It's great if you can individually adjust each pixel to exactly the correct exposure, but then you will end up with something that is entirely gray.

And you can't just save it as an HDR file and call it a day, either, because eventually your output medium isn't going to be able to handle all the data, and you will have to :supaburn: TONE MAP :supaburn:

Anything that increases the dynamic range of a given pixel is great, but I'm seriously questioning if this is the right method.
I can see it easily working. And so what if you have a flat image with high dynamic range? That's what curves are for.

This is pretty much what happens when i digitize negatives...

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

There's also the limited dynamic range of output media to consider.

e: Oh I see.

Yeah, but if you're the type of photographer that enjoys a lot of post, having workable pixels is pretty convenient, even if you're still outputting it to a jpeg or a print.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Anybody tried SnutterSnitch yet-- I might cancel my connection kit and get an eyefi if it works well enough. My kit probably wont ship for another week or two anyway.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/shuttersnitch/id364176211?mt=8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A subject of one of the most famous photographs ever passed away on Sunday

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

How funny that we were just talking about that photo a few days ago.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Wow, holy poo poo, if any of you guys own an iPad (iPhone too, but I think it's probably less useful) go buy TouchRetouch. Content aware fill on the iOS, and this poo poo works about as well as it.

e: Actually after playing with it, it's slightly worse than Gimps version of it content aware fill, but I was impressed because my first two tries with it were extremely impressive.

Still worth $1 to try it out though, it's pretty interesting.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 24, 2010

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I made the mistake of buying an issue of Shutterbug at the newsstand the other day. Ignoring the crappy photos and ad-"reviews" what really annoyed me is that they have a 2 page ad for "Broadway Photo" in the middle of the magazine. Of course the editors are not responsible for their advertisers, but come on.. a well-known bait and switch scammer targetting naive photographers and you give them space to do it? Shame on them.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
If you haven't looked at Broadway's website lately, go do so.

https://www.bwayphoto.com

It is a loving riot.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cross_ posted:

I made the mistake of buying an issue of Shutterbug at the newsstand the other day. Ignoring the crappy photos and ad-"reviews" what really annoyed me is that they have a 2 page ad for "Broadway Photo" in the middle of the magazine. Of course the editors are not responsible for their advertisers, but come on.. a well-known bait and switch scammer targetting naive photographers and you give them space to do it? Shame on them.

I wrote to Popular Science once complaining about the ads in the back pages -- some of it is cool stuff like plans for ultralight helicopters, but every month there are tons of ENZYTE NATURAL MALE ENHANCEMENT and ATHENA PHEROMONE 10X ads in the back, and I thought that was at odds with the intent of a science magazine.

Their response? "Yeah, we know. The company that owns us runs the advertising department completely separately from the editorial department. They aren't located in the same building, they don't talk to us, and they basically pick whatever raises the most money."

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The problem with basically all magazines is that the advertisers are the client, not the readers.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

The problem with basically all magazines is that the advertisers are the client, not the readers.

Aperture is pretty good, but it's a non-profit so :smug:

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I've been feeling so lovely lately about my photography. I've barely shot in the last 3-4 months, and when I do I delete 99% of it because I'm not happy with it. I'm starting to feel like all my stuff is horrible, even stuff I used to like, or have gotten lots of positive reviews about. Does this happen to any of you guys, and what do you do to get out of it?

I almost just want to quit my job, pack up my poo poo and move to the other side of the country and just see what happens.

(sorry this isn't very fun discussion, but I didn't really know where to ask...)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Four Banger posted:

I've been feeling so lovely lately about my photography. I've barely shot in the last 3-4 months, and when I do I delete 99% of it because I'm not happy with it. I'm starting to feel like all my stuff is horrible, even stuff I used to like, or have gotten lots of positive reviews about. Does this happen to any of you guys, and what do you do to get out of it?

I almost just want to quit my job, pack up my poo poo and move to the other side of the country and just see what happens.

(sorry this isn't very fun discussion, but I didn't really know where to ask...)
I've went through this a lot the last few months. I hardly post anything online anymore. Reference this chart:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

That chart is me.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah but... /p/ of all places? 4chan has only made me realize how much I hate people not how much I suck, I did that on my lonesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Four Banger posted:

I've been feeling so lovely lately about my photography. I've barely shot in the last 3-4 months, and when I do I delete 99% of it because I'm not happy with it. I'm starting to feel like all my stuff is horrible, even stuff I used to like, or have gotten lots of positive reviews about.

You're probably shooting the same old poo poo over and over again. Try branching into a new field of photography.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Are there any limitations on the Student editions of Photoshop/Lightroom etc?

I need to buy, but I don't want to pay for them and then find they have limitations on what I can use them for, etc.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Are there any limitations on the Student editions of Photoshop/Lightroom etc?

I need to buy, but I don't want to pay for them and then find they have limitations on what I can use them for, etc.

As far as I know, only limit on the new CS5 stuff is you can only have them on one computer at a time.

I think it's new policy, they took away the "can't use for paid work" from what I hear.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I bought the student edition of Lightroom, and so far as I know, it's got everything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That chart would be me except there's no spot for "go to school and get too busy to take photos regularly, then forget almost everything you knew".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange lime posted:

I wrote to Popular Science once complaining about the ads in the back pages -- some of it is cool stuff like plans for ultralight helicopters, but every month there are tons of ENZYTE NATURAL MALE ENHANCEMENT and ATHENA PHEROMONE 10X ads in the back, and I thought that was at odds with the intent of a science magazine.

Their response? "Yeah, we know. The company that owns us runs the advertising department completely separately from the editorial department. They aren't located in the same building, they don't talk to us, and they basically pick whatever raises the most money."
My first thought was "Think that's bad? pick up a copy of Popular Mechanics or Popular Science." I can definitely see the average Popular Science reader wanting to attract women without trying and enlarge his penis.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Four Banger posted:

Pick something you're interested in and explore it as a long term project.

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

pwn posted:

I've went through this a lot the last few months. I hardly post anything online anymore. Reference this chart:

Man that is awesome. So glad you posted this.

Trying to pinpoint where I am on there.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Glass Knuckles posted:

Man that is awesome. So glad you posted this.

Trying to pinpoint where I am on there.

I'm going to go with:

Although, shouldn't the HDR hole go just AFTER the first tripod, not just before.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I don't know, for me it was before as I tried to hand hold for 3 shots, then I tried setting it down on a ledge, then said gently caress it and bought a $30 tripod. :ughh:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

KennyG posted:

I'm going to go with:

Although, shouldn't the HDR hole go just AFTER the first tripod, not just before.

Truth

I'm just about on the dot too I reckon. Selling all my digital gadgets to use standard C-41 film in an old Olympus SLR and just take photos until I can take good photos.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I never left 0% and I am nearing death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's /p?

I think I'm going to be stuck at "managed to get camera off auto mode" forever.