Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

I believe this is what you meant.
"Rheetoric!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KungfooMF posted:

^^^^ That is cool to hear about Warren Spector. He may not always make the best game, but he sure as heck tries (most of the time).

I have played through this game 4 times now and I have a physical copy. Yet I just bought it again simply because I'll never have to locate my disks again.

Awesome deals like this have made my Steam account absolutely bulge. My game list is so big now I will need to consider leaving my login info to someone in my will.

Warren Spector is one of the nicest, most chill guys in the video game industry, which is a little weird considering that most of the games he makes are pretty violent. He's like the industry's kind old grandfather.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's so nice of them to leave a lockpick at the bottom of the watery shaft.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Gave a friend of mine my DX disk about a year ago in an effort to get him to play it. He never did, so I bought it for him :)

Edit: He probably still won't play it

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That is, as they say, a shame.

edit: yesterday I found out you can actually get enemies to follow you into water! Then you can hit them with a crowbar until they swim away from you until they drown. Didn't ruin my non-lethal challenge :v:

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 23, 2010

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010
I just started the game and finished the training. I'm working on building my character at the moment. Are there any skills that are just completely worthless?
What would you recommend for a great first run through? Also, difficulty, how crazy does it get? These old games can be finicky I like my games to be challenging.

Tug Grundo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 23, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's never particularly difficult. If you want the easy mode kill everything playthrough, invest in rifles and get ballistic protection and regeneration augs. Pistols are also useful, and you're going to want points in lockpick/electronics/computers no matter what.

There are no bad choices unless you invest everything in swimming, aqualung, and environmental training. Even then you can still finish the game.

Also silent running is worthless, take speed.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Swimming is considered useless, because you don't use it very often. Even then, every skill has a tangible benefit so feel free to explore your options. I had fun with a pistol/rifle setup that invested in lockpicking/electronics later on.

Difficulty isn't really an issue. Save often enough and you shouldn't have any problems.

e: based on your edit, you should probably just start out on realistic.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tug Grundo posted:

I just started the game and finished the training. I'm working on building my character at the moment. Are there any skills that are just completely worthless?
What would you recommend for a great first run through? Also, difficulty, how crazy does it get? These old games can be finicky I like my games to be challenging.

Medicine isn't really worth it because 1/3rd of the way through the game you get an aug that lets you regnerate health
Swimming is pretty worthless, you'll only use it a few times in the whole game (all optional) and later on you get an aug that lets you breathe underwater
Environmental protection is maybe worth one level, to make you immune to gas grenades, otherwise it's not that great.

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010
Just what I wanted to know, thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd also argue heavy weapons aren't worth the investment because they're really, really rare and explosives practically one-shot anything so there's little point unless you're painfully slow and want more time disarming LAMs. I forgot where it was but if you take the GEP gun on Liberty Island (and you should because, again, rarity + instant lockpick) there's a weapons cache with like 9 rockets somewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you do heavy weapons it has to be all or nothing. You don't need explosives or low tech skill either.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I always put one level into Explosives, because without that you can't disarm grenades. Honestly, it only costs 900, and it's going to let you collect grenades from everywhere in the game where someone tried to use them as a mine.

That and two levels in Computers basically what I consider the mandatory skills (although I always get a third level in Computers so the hacking timer is more lenient and I can read emails).

jusion posted:

in the iw /system folder open default.cfg and there are two variables you have to changes from true to false, startupfullscreen and usefullscreen. You can change the resolution in game ofc.

Default.ini doesn't contain any of those parameters for me, at least according to search. :(

Which header are they under?

Looked for them manually and found them in the end. Not sure why Notepad++ was returning no finds on fullscreen. :/ Thanks a lot either way!

e;VVV

fleshweasel posted:

Train heavy weapons to advanced so you can run with one out.
You can crouch with a heavy weapon out to move at normal crouch speed (which is a tiny bit below walking speed).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 23, 2010

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Train heavy weapons to advanced so you can run with one out. I like to have Swimming at Trained or Advanced cause I don't give a gently caress about rebreathers or aqualung and it opens up alternate routes on top of making those routes less tedious to wade through.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

etalian posted:

JC:Maybe you should try getting a job

I have one, thanks. I recently started after moving to another state

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I like to put a single level up in Medicine, it makes medkits go way, way farther and costs barely anything. Above Trained the diminishing returns don't make it worth it, however, especially since by the time you can get it to Master (90 points per kit iirc) the regen aug is available.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Ansob. posted:

I always put one level into Explosives, because without that you can't disarm grenades. Honestly, it only costs 900, and it's going to let you collect grenades from everywhere in the game where someone tried to use them as a mine.

What? You don't need any skillpoints in Explosives to be able to disarm those things. I always collect all the gas grenades from the Liberty Island statue and I never ever put points into that skill.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AXE COP posted:

What? You don't need any skillpoints in Explosives to be able to disarm those things. I always collect all the gas grenades from the Liberty Island statue and I never ever put points into that skill.

Maybe it's a shifter thing then, because I've restarted recently and without Explosives I the grenades explode in literally .5s. You get one beep, then boom.

Explosives I means you can just leisurely stroll up to the grenade and take all the time in the world to disarm it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh god, I forgot about how little this game autosaves. I used to quicksave all the time, but modern games have ruined me.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Ansob. posted:

Maybe it's a shifter thing then, because I've restarted recently and without Explosives I the grenades explode in literally .5s. You get one beep, then boom.

Explosives I means you can just leisurely stroll up to the grenade and take all the time in the world to disarm it.

I never put any points into Explosives and they always beep several times before exploding, giving me plenty of time to disarm them.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh god, I forgot about how little this game autosaves. I used to quicksave all the time, but modern games have ruined me.

biomod is good for this also climbing up waist high objects

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Has anyone done a strict melee-only game with Shifter? I'd like to do this for my first Shifter run, but I'm not sure it's possible.

In vanilla, the weld points on the PRCS Wall Cloud soak an enormous amount of damage. The only way to damage them in melee is by using the DTS with max combat strength aug and max low tech weapon skill. :black101:

However, Shifter changes the DTS to 5x20 base damage instead of 1x100. Unless the weld points were also changed to soak less damage, that would make a pure melee-only game impossible. :ohdear:

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Stathol posted:

Has anyone done a strict melee-only game with Shifter? I'd like to do this for my first Shifter run, but I'm not sure it's possible.

In vanilla, the weld points on the PRCS Wall Cloud soak an enormous amount of damage. The only way to damage them in melee is by using the DTS with max combat strength aug and max low tech weapon skill. :black101:

However, Shifter changes the DTS to 5x20 base damage instead of 1x100. Unless the weld points were also changed to soak less damage, that would make a pure melee-only game impossible. :ohdear:

You could put LAMs on the weld points, and then thwack them with the sword.

Or you could put LAMs on the welds, and trick enemies into walking by.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Another message board I visit has someone who worked in game Q&A, he posted a thing about Deus Ex:

quote:

I wish I had an amusing story to share about testing this one. But I don't. Warren Spector is the best game designer I've ever worked with, and actually listened to and respected the testers. He got us to start testing in the early Alpha stage. Most of our suggestions for gameplay and balancing were actually implemented- in some cases, Warren over-rode the programmer's desire to close the bug out and told them we were right. The game (at least in my opinion) was much better for it.

It was the source of the best bug I've ever read, though. I can only paraphrase, I fear I'm not doing it justice.

Summary- "Deep, wet shaft offers no climax."

Description- "Having maxed out my swimming skill, when I reached level 15, I got really excited. Here was a chance to use my talents- a long, water-filled shaft just waiting for me to plunge into. Unfortunately, after thrusting myself underwater and pushing my way to the bottom, I found nothing to relieve my probing. This area needs a reward."

Developer- "GEP gun and corpse added to bottom of shaft. Fixed"
Developer 2- "This has got to be the dirtiest bug I've ever read."
That made my day, thank you.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I cracked and brought Invisible War on Steam. I feel dirty :(

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I just bought both because I panicked and saw the deal was ending in 6 minutes.

I played Invisible War for the Xbox, I remember parts of it. Never played regular Deus Ex. How do they compare in similarity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tipme posted:

I played Invisible War for the Xbox, I remember parts of it. Never played regular Deus Ex. How do they compare in similarity.

Do people just click on the thread title and then click reply?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tipme posted:

I just bought both because I panicked and saw the deal was ending in 6 minutes.

Deus Ex is that really cool guy in high school who does everything well, and Invisible War is his little brother who can't live up to him no matter how hard he tries, even if he's decent at most things too, because the older brother just does everything better.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Deus Ex is that really cool guy in high school who does everything well, and Invisible War is his little brother who can't live up to him no matter how hard he tries, even if he's decent at most things too, because the older brother just does everything better.

Except that really even where the little brother excels, compared to the rest of the class he's still kind of awkward and has lovely loading times and tiny levels. ohgodibrokemyanalogy

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Original Deus Ex and SomethingAwful go together like the high school football all-star and the head cheerleader. They hate everyone else and make fun of the football players brother, the one that people say is mentally handicapped but is really just shy.

Edit: Jesus christ, I posted a reply then realized a nearly identical post was directly above mine. GOOD JOB, ME

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
There was actually a moment last night where I was contemplating whether to take advantage of the the Steam deal or to buy a bag of chips.

The chips won.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

nickhimself posted:

Original Deus Ex and SomethingAwful go together like the high school football all-star and the head cheerleader. They hate everyone else and make fun of the football players brother, the one that people say is mentally handicapped but is really just shy.

Edit: Jesus christ, I posted a reply then realized a nearly identical post was directly above mine. GOOD JOB, ME

Also SA doesn't realize that everyone else thinks it's a huge rear end in a top hat

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Lork posted:

There was actually a moment last night where I was contemplating whether to take advantage of the the Steam deal or to buy a bag of chips.

The chips won.
You dumbass.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Also SA doesn't realize that everyone else thinks it's a huge rear end in a top hat
It realizes that's the goal.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
I've been liking Invisible War so far, and that's right after doing a playthrough of the original Deus Ex.

What made IW click with me is that I realized that it's kind of close to Chronicles of Riddick in terms of the levels and how cramped they are and how it kind of bottlenecks you in some cases. Ofcourse there's poo poo like the universal ammo, lack of lean, and the performance of the prod (I have to sit there and keep zapping a dude for like a minute just to knock him out?) that annoys the poo poo out of me but overall it's okay and even enjoyable in some cases.

I like the Vox club level.

Also wasn't there a mod to fix the universal ammo or did I just dream it up?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You dumbass.
Don't get your panties in too much of a twist; I already own it. Having it on Steam would just be a convenience. I just thought it was amusing given the thread title.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I've never played this game before. Decided to go through the tutorial. I accidentally tossed my pistol over the counter into the shooting range, where I'm not able to reach it anymore. Yeah, tutorial over with no saves or autosaves

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I've never played this game before. Decided to go through the tutorial. I accidentally tossed my pistol over the counter into the shooting range, where I'm not able to reach it anymore. Yeah, tutorial over with no saves or autosaves

You realize you can do the tutorial again. The whole thing takes less than five minutes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I just found out before that the female Alex in IW is voiced by Laura Bailey. She really is in everything :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

bartkusa posted:

You could put LAMs on the weld points, and then thwack them with the sword.

Or you could put LAMs on the welds, and trick enemies into walking by.
Right, but when I say "strict" or "pure" melee, I mean that you aren't allowed to cause damage or death to anything except by direct melee damage. That precludes detonating grenades or crates/barrels of boom with a melee weapon. This is possible in vanilla with the right build, and I'm trying to find out if it's possible with Shifter in spite of the DTS change.

Lork posted:

Don't get your panties in too much of a twist; I already own it. Having it on Steam would just be a convenience. I just thought it was amusing given the thread title.

If you piss Paul off he sometimes barks, "you dumbass" :ssh: