Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To be fair I guess it is more than a circle scarf, but whatever.

I think I'm going to see if I can do one while watching a movie, because I'm not really interested in under $20/hour. If I have to pick up all those stitches around the top, though, no way am I doing more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I think I'm going to see if I can do one while watching a movie, because I'm not really interested in under $20/hour. If I have to pick up all those stitches around the top, though, no way am I doing more than one.

Well, if you really hate picking up stitches you could knit the top down and put it on waste yarn or an extra needle, and then knit the other part around and on each ws row k1tog with one stitch from the top part.

Sorry this is totally irrelevant because for something like that I assume you'd have to make it the way they want, I just like solving knitting problems.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Or...I could Kitchener the whole thing! Am I the only one sick enough to enjoy Kitchener stitch?

I honestly don't think they'd care which part I knit first as long as it wound up looking the same. I guess we'll see; the interview's tomorrow (to see if I can be trusted with The $150 Pattern).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Or...I could Kitchener the whole thing! Am I the only one sick enough to enjoy Kitchener stitch?

I honestly don't think they'd care which part I knit first as long as it wound up looking the same. I guess we'll see; the interview's tomorrow (to see if I can be trusted with The $150 Pattern).

PFFFAHAHAHA. $150 for the goddamn pattern? You could probably find the pattern for those cables in a stitch dictionary in about five minutes!

Oh my god, I have to start designing knitting accessories.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm assuming the pattern's $150, because the labor and materials sure don't add up to $225 otherwise! But yeah, you could easily reverse-engineer it if you really wanted to wear one of those things. ...Anyone?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

There it is.

The ugliest knitted object I've ever seen.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I wouldn't wear that if someone gave it to me for free, much less pay $150 dollars for it. To each their own, I guess.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

That's like $170 markup. :psyduck: Just make them yourself and undercut them at $200.

Time to make some kitschy poo poo in acrylic and try to consign it in a indie-type shop in Chicago. Jeez.

OOH OOH! I saw a scarf in Belmont Army Surplus crocheted out of the rainbow Red Heart Kids! $25 they wanted for it!

Also the big middle cable on that green thing looks like vaginas. I would wear it, but ONLY in black and not in anything fuckin' Lion Brand. I do NOT get what people see in that stuff.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

OOH OOH! I saw a scarf in Belmont Army Surplus crocheted out of the rainbow Red Heart Kids! $25 they wanted for it!

Also the big middle cable on that green thing looks like vaginas. I would wear it, but ONLY in black and not in anything fuckin' Lion Brand. I do NOT get what people see in that stuff.

Haha, there's an ysolda teague hat pattern that looks so much like a bunch of vaginas it's unbelievable. I love most of her stuff but this thing is nuts. And of course the sample is knitted in bright red yarn too. Rose Red, it's called.

Anyway, isn't that thing a poncho? I thought ponchos went out of style a long time back. What the hell.

It does look sort of warm (well, if it was knitted in wool it would be).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Anne Whateley posted:

I like Kitchener stitch too. Also, drat. I should just sell the crocheted squid I made out of acrylic to the indies!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
First, I want to thank all of you lovely goons for helping me out with my dental bills. That was a really loving scary moment but you guys helped cover almost the entire bill! My molar thanks you. :3:

Second of all

:siren:We're still trading yarn! Lots of yarn left! Grab your stash and join in!:siren:

Please join in

if you don't I might end up grabbing all of the wool

Dear God look at all of that Cascade 220

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maybe one day, I, too, can sell my crappy knitted objects for obscene prices.

It's like maybe my art school education will pay off!

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Anybody got a good resource on how to do small rufflies? I found a shawl I'd really love to do, but it's only to be found on some Swedish website, so I wouldn't understand it anyway. There's also the fact that it's pretty easy to reproduce... as long as I can learn how to do ruffle!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

There it is.

The ugliest knitted object I've ever seen.

It looks like an acrylic booger is eating her head.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Phishi posted:

Anybody got a good resource on how to do small rufflies? I found a shawl I'd really love to do, but it's only to be found on some Swedish website, so I wouldn't understand it anyway. There's also the fact that it's pretty easy to reproduce... as long as I can learn how to do ruffle!

Are the ruffles along the edge? You could try something like what they did in Citron where you do a rapid increase with a kfb every stitch, then work the last few rows and cast off. The increase in stitches will cause them to bunch up, creating ruffles.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, that's the way to do it - if you want a really tight ruffle (very gathered) you should look to increase stitch count by about 4x. If you want a more gentle ruffle maybe 3x.

You could also do them sideways and with short rows but that's the hard way.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Whoo, thanks for the quick replies Drei and Bob Shadycharacter! I knew it was something to that effect, but I didn't know how many increases to do how often, etc. etc. Most of the ruffled edge shawls I came across on Rav you had to pay for, and I didn't wanna do that just to learn how to do ruffles! I think I'll do some swatches with leftover sock yarn to figure out exactly how I want it, now that I have a better idea how to go about it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I finally finished my biggest lace project to date!

The pattern is the Vernal Equinox shawl; I used Skacel merino lace (my absolute favourite lace weight) on size US3 needles. It took me from end of April to June 21st to both finish and block it. This is probably the most proud I've ever been of anything I've done.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

edit to turn into a thumbnail so it doesn't stretch the page

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Ooooh, very pretty :) I wish I could knit worth a crap.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

I finally finished my biggest lace project to date!

The pattern is the Vernal Equinox shawl; I used Skacel merino lace (my absolute favourite lace weight) on size US3 needles. It took me from end of April to June 21st to both finish and block it. This is probably the most proud I've ever been of anything I've done.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

edit to turn into a thumbnail so it doesn't stretch the page

This is really lovely. Very ephemeral. Great work!

I have a super basic question. I'm knitting a long scarf-type thing in stockinette stitch and it's curling into itself on the sides. Is there any way to eliminate the curl when the project is done? Maybe through blocking? Or am I doomed to have a long tube?

(Also, thank you everyone that suggested I turn the chevron pattern sideways. I started charting it out and found that because of certain repeats, it would be a huge headache for me. I'm just knitting the pattern as is; which turns out to be just fine because it's looking pretty spiffy!)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I have a super basic question. I'm knitting a long scarf-type thing in stockinette stitch and it's curling into itself on the sides. Is there any way to eliminate the curl when the project is done? Maybe through blocking? Or am I doomed to have a long tube?

(Also, thank you everyone that suggested I turn the chevron pattern sideways. I started charting it out and found that because of certain repeats, it would be a huge headache for me. I'm just knitting the pattern as is; which turns out to be just fine because it's looking pretty spiffy!)

Curling like that is just what stockinette does. The only way to stop it without knitting something in to stop it in the first place (like ribbing or some other stitch that doesn't curl) would be to pick up stitches along the edge and do a knitted on edge.

Or you could just consider it a feature and not a bug! I remember a few years ago it was very trendy to sell "roll scarves" in the stores - just stockinette being stockinette. Heh.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
If the rolling bugs you you can just do k1p1 rib, it looks like stockinette on both sides and doesn't curl.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
^^^^ I'll try that too! Thanks!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Curling like that is just what stockinette does. The only way to stop it without knitting something in to stop it in the first place (like ribbing or some other stitch that doesn't curl) would be to pick up stitches along the edge and do a knitted on edge.

Or you could just consider it a feature and not a bug! I remember a few years ago it was very trendy to sell "roll scarves" in the stores - just stockinette being stockinette. Heh.

Because I'm using two different needle sizes, the way the stockinette is showing up is very interesting. If it weren't for that, I'd just switch to something else. I've started interspersing garter stitches into the pattern at regular intervals in hopes that it will help a bit. Feature it is :niggly:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Thanks you.

Like was already mentioned, stockinette just curls. I usually border it with garter stitch on shawls--two stitches on each side works for me. Rib is also good; I'm particularly fond of seed stitch.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The curling is one of those things that I just can't deal with. It drives me NUTS. I don't think it looks bad at all, I just have some kind of weird OCD problem with it.

I like 1x1 rib scarves (if I'm going for a plain stockinette 'look how awesome this yarn is' kind of thing) because it looks like stockinette on both sides but doesn't curl. :)

I don't make a lot of scarves though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

When a pattern tells you to "purl6 [yo, p2togetherp1] 4 times, p4" does that mean it carries over onto the next row? All my holes aren't lining up.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

When a pattern tells you to "purl6 [yo, p2togetherp1] 4 times, p4" does that mean it carries over onto the next row? All my holes aren't lining up.

If I understand what the instruction says correctly, then no. You should be doing purl 6, then yarn over, purl 2 together, p1 four times, followed by purl 4 at the very end of the row. I'm assuming this is just for one row, and there's nothing in that row (like a slipped stitch or something) that would be required to be dealt with the next row.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah, the 4 times repeat is everything in brackets.

Written out it'd be :

P6, YO, P2TOG, YO, P2TOG, YO, P2TOG, YO, P2TOG, P4

End stitch count is 18 sts.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I got my soy kitten! (and various other swappables..)

I have named him Benedictus! Meow.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I got my soy kitten! (and various other swappables..)

I have named him Benedictus! Meow.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread, but that's great to hear! :3:

Pvt. Benedetto
Jul 1, 2007

Bikes!
Okay, so I don't like soliciting, but I think that this is a worthy cause for some down and dirty solicitation:

I have a metric butt ton of yarn that a friend gave to me because she has way too much yarn. I live in a little town in Vermont which has a fair number of homeless/down on their luck families who need food/shelter/warmth (especially come winter). It would have been great if a pile of cash had come my way rather than a pile of yarn, but I got yarn. I want to transform this yarn into monies so that I can make a generous donation to our local food cupboard/soup kitchen.

I am selling it for very cheap as I really like helping people out. This will probably take a little of my time, but as a result you great knitters will get some great yarn for very cheap, and the shelter in town will get some financial aid.

I hope that you will consider buying some of this yarn! I have made a thread in SA-Mart for you to peruse if you decide that you'd like to buy into this charity based yarn ponzi scheme. Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320550

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hello! I'm sorting through videos on Youtube but nothing is really great for instructions on how to use a bottom whorl drop spindle as opposed to a top whorl. Everyone has top whorl. Whoops.

I've found a few but they're not as easy to follow as a lot of the bottom whorl ones I've seen.

Help! :ohdear:

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Aeolian! My first triangular shawl :]

I know I posted these when they were in progress but I don't think I posted the finished product:

Noro Striped Socks!

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009

Hello! I'm sorting through videos on Youtube but nothing is really great for instructions on how to use a bottom whorl drop spindle as opposed to a top whorl. Everyone has top whorl. Whoops.

BAM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbu6x2ZCYFQ&feature=player_embedded
Bottom whorl represent! :hfive:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Spiteful posted:

BAM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbu6x2ZCYFQ&feature=player_embedded
Bottom whorl represent! :hfive:

I guess I'm still getting the hang of the whole thing because man my poo poo is uneven as hell and making a leader is hard.

Not to say that's stopping me from trying, because it isn't, but man I wish I had someone to just sit here and tell me NO THAT'S WRONG

P.S. Great job on those socks and the shawl! I loooove the socks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hollaback grandma posted:

Aeolian! My first triangular shawl :]

I know I posted these when they were in progress but I don't think I posted the finished product:

Noro Striped Socks!

I loving love those socks. loving love them. That is how strong I feel about those socks.
Would never wear socks made from super expensive but oddly scratchy yarn though.

Very pretty shawl too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I've found a few but they're not as easy to follow as a lot of the bottom whorl ones I've seen.

Help! :ohdear:

If it doesn't have a hook off the top, I take a string the same size or smaller than what I'm aiming for and make a leader that way. This is where I got most of my basics for bottom whorl. If you don't have a hook, you'll need to half-hitch it to the top of the shaft.

I don't know if you use Ravelry much, but I do know the Spindlers group has tons of information and is really helpful for all manner of spinning, and I picked up a great deal on bottom whorl from them. It's not really that different from top whorl, to tell you the truth, it just looks different.

Need to head to work, or I'd try and explain more.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

FelicityGS posted:

If it doesn't have a hook off the top, I take a string the same size or smaller than what I'm aiming for and make a leader that way. This is where I got most of my basics for bottom whorl. If you don't have a hook, you'll need to half-hitch it to the top of the shaft.

I don't know if you use Ravelry much, but I do know the Spindlers group has tons of information and is really helpful for all manner of spinning, and I picked up a great deal on bottom whorl from them. It's not really that different from top whorl, to tell you the truth, it just looks different.

Need to head to work, or I'd try and explain more.

It does indeed have a hook, and the best informational videos I've seen are from ones without hooks. That's actually what's confusing me. I think I make halfage (? it SOUNDS like what most people are saying but I will read more to be clear on that) and put it on the hook instead of in the notch at the top (notch if it didn't have a hook, anyway) and pretty much do the same. I haven't had much time to figure it out yet because I am also at work, however. :)

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

^^^ I think maybe you make the half-hitch at the notch, then thread the leader through the hook? The hitch should be to keep it from slipping off the shaft, and the hook is what actually puts the twist into the yarn...

I'm looking for a Turkish spindle next, so I will probably be asking the same question soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I need a decent sock pattern. I knit my first pair of socks from a really simple pattern, and they turned out okay, but they were very loose and baggy and honestly kind of sloppy looking.

I'm working on a second pair with that same pattern just because I want to get the hang of turning a heel, but I'd really like to make socks that look nice. Anyone have a favorite sock pattern?