Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It's the SdKfz 222 from the Airfix 1:76 Recon Set. Not a particularly detailed kit, but I did the best I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ensign Expendable posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It's the SdKfz 222 from the Airfix 1:76 Recon Set. Not a particularly detailed kit, but I did the best I could.

What did you paint it with?

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
looks like it's coated with some kind of damp clay.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Did you use enamel paints? Because you really never should.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Guys keep in mind how tiny those 1/76 kits are.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah that wagon is probably about 1.5" long, and I think its a pretty decent job. The weathering looks pretty good.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I guess I forgot how tiny it is. Here, I messed with it a little

It does look better. I was put off by the shine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Aetilus posted:

owns, but still needs a little bit of purple on the lord I think.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah that wagon is probably about 1.5" long, and I think its a pretty decent job. The weathering looks pretty good.

howd he paint them tiny letters on there if its so small then smart guy

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

teeny tiny transfers at a guess? or patience of a saint.. one or the other

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dale-Taco posted:

So I finished my inquisitor. Its nicer than the pictures suggest. I wish I could take better pictures. :saddowns:

Whoooa, could you tell us how you made that model? Im running witch hunters and I totally want to make that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Quotin' mahself from the other thread this was posted in:

Arquinsiel posted:

Just because I was taking pictures of this lot anyway, here's the same car unpainted:

Not hugely impressive, but given the age and the fact that it's at most three inches long it's well worth the price (5 bux, as part of a set).

I really should re-photograph it next to a space marine for scale. The gun would shoot him in the neck at 0 elevation.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

howd he paint them tiny letters on there if its so small then smart guy

Those are decals. I would certainly not be able to do something that detailed.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I am painting up a unit of Boar Boyz for the Oath thread and wanted to put up my first one here for any constructive criticism before I finish up the first five. The other boars have different skin tones with mixes of Khemri brown, Bleached Bone amd Tallarn flesh. The base is yet to be finished completely, need to add some grasses in the gaps by the rocks and finish up the trim.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Exmond posted:

Whoooa, could you tell us how you made that model? Im running witch hunters and I totally want to make that.

here:

stabbington posted:

Everything except the bolter, base, and backpack is a Warmachine piece (Cygnar Warcaster Kara Sloan).

e: and the little skullcross bit, not sure where that's from, I'm not really up on my GW character bling.

Dale-Taco posted:

More or less this. the bolter is a bolter-stake crossbow cut off of an inquisitor mini and the skull thing is a fiddly-bit I had from a space marine command squad.

Quotes quotes quotes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

The Skullcross bit is from the Terminator sprue

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Also my airbrush is broke again. Same problem as last time, I left it in airbrush cleaner for an hour and now the trigger won't press down and release air through the brush again. I may just have to give up because I don't know what I'm doing wrong when it comes to maintenance. I dissemble and wash it each time I'm done using it.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

Also my airbrush is broke again. Same problem as last time, I left it in airbrush cleaner for an hour and now the trigger won't press down and release air through the brush again. I may just have to give up because I don't know what I'm doing wrong when it comes to maintenance. I dissemble and wash it each time I'm done using it.

Are you taking the air-valve assembly apart and cleaning it as well? My new, sexy airbrush sometimes has "stick" on the trigger when pushing down: it's from build-up of water with "crud" in it (I.E. Cleaner, Paint, Etc.). Every now and again, I take apart the air-valve assembly, clean it by hand, dry it off, and the trigger works like it's brand new.

On a completely unrelated note:

That is some sexy loving red if you ask me. They give a formula for it on the website, which is this:
3:1 Dwarf Bronze/Mechrite Red
Shade with 4:1 Scorched Brown/Warlock Purple, thinned to a wash.
Highlight with Blood Red, "working through Blazing Orange, Vomit Brown and Golden Yellow."

Two questions: what the hell do they mean by "working through?" Do they mean add a bit of the colors to the Blood Red base for progressive highlights, or something else entirely?
Second: any painting gurus (PV :v:) able to give me an easier paint line-up to get the same effect? I know Privateer Press and Vallejo put out a shitload of paints that GW doesn't make, so if they have something easier to work with, that'd be great. I'm not adverse to mixing paint, I would just like the consistency of pure, straight paint.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Any advice on how to do faces? Mine mostly look fine, but the eyes don't seem to show up very well, especially if there's a hat casting a shadow on them.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Two questions: what the hell do they mean by "working through?" Do they mean add a bit of the colors to the Blood Red base for progressive highlights, or something else entirely?
Second: any painting gurus (PV :v:) able to give me an easier paint line-up to get the same effect? I know Privateer Press and Vallejo put out a shitload of paints that GW doesn't make, so if they have something easier to work with, that'd be great. I'm not adverse to mixing paint, I would just like the consistency of pure, straight paint.

Highlight with those colors in progression, I don't think they intend you to blend those colors in.

I can see the brown and yellow on there fairly clearly. Look at the boar's headplate.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fuuuuck boar boys own.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Are you taking the air-valve assembly apart and cleaning it as well? My new, sexy airbrush sometimes has "stick" on the trigger when pushing down: it's from build-up of water with "crud" in it (I.E. Cleaner, Paint, Etc.). Every now and again, I take apart the air-valve assembly, clean it by hand, dry it off, and the trigger works like it's brand new.

Really? How do I do that? In the manual it shows a dissembled picture but I can't figure out how to actually do it, I drat near broke the last valve trying to figure it out.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Miles O'Brian posted:

Fuuuuck boar boys own.

I want to make a biker nob on a warhammer boar with the rear legs removed and replaced with a track.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Really? How do I do that? In the manual it shows a dissembled picture but I can't figure out how to actually do it, I drat near broke the last valve trying to figure it out.

Im pretty sure Im having the exact same issue as CFH, so any sort of breakdown of how to clean that out would own.

I bought a set of those brush things to clean the inside of the airbrush, in the meantime its just chilling in simple green.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im pretty sure Im having the exact same issue as CFH, so any sort of breakdown of how to clean that out would own.

I bought a set of those brush things to clean the inside of the airbrush, in the meantime its just chilling in simple green.

I never thought of throwing it in some sg. I've got the drat part sitting in front of me and I can't figure how to pry it apart. I googled and got posts of people with the same problem but no solutions.

ffffffffffffffffffff

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Airbrush Air-Valve Assembly:

PV, you and I have the exact same airbrush (I believe), so allow me to do something I haven't done in a long while... PHOTO TUTORIAL! :dance:

Here's Ol' Orange, and the air-valve assembly.

If you turn the airbrush over and look into the assembly, you'll notice something: hex shaped chamber. What the hell could that possibly be for?

Allen wrench. The Paasche Talon comes with one in the box. Been wondering what that was for, have you? It's for this:

Mmm, yeah, right in the hole.

A few turns of the allen wrench later, and the cap on the valve assembly comes off: this is what is inside.

Assemble back in the order you pulled it out after a good cleaning, and bam, just like new.
Hog, I assume your airbrush works in mostly the same way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I want to make a biker nob on a warhammer boar with the rear legs removed and replaced with a track.

If you can find one of the old Cyboar minis from ~1996 that is exactly what you are looking for. They made one with a steamroller replacing the back legs too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Hog, I assume your airbrush works in mostly the same way.

Nope.

I can unscrew it by hand, and it comes out like this. The button (pointy thing) presses down, but no air flows through. Pictures show it can be taken apart further, but I can't figure out how.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: STORE UPDATE :siren:

https://www.paintvagrant.com/store

For GOON discount 5%, use coupon code "GOONS" and post in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304041

For any order $75 or more, use code "FREESHIP" for free shipping!

New and restocked p3 paints

New Vallejo Pigments

Army Painter Basic Tool Kits

Reaper Sculpting Armature "Dollies" (lol)

Restock of BATTLEFOAM PACK 432 and PACK 216!

Army painter hobby and wargamer brushes

Very nice, inexpensive brushes!

e: Thanks sole, thats exactly what I need to do apparently. The trigger has been sticky and paint has been sputtering a bit.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

^^^^^^^
No problem, bro. :hfive:

Nope.

I can unscrew it by hand, and it comes out like this. The button (pointy thing) presses down, but no air flows through. Pictures show it can be taken apart further, but I can't figure out how.

Okay, in that case, in the assembly diagram, is there a rubber washer/gasket? If not, throw the whole thing into some brake cleaner, then thoroughly rinse it out after a few hours.

If it does, well, drop it into some Simple Green or LA's and hope for the best.

EDIT: what about the back, opposite of the pointy bit? I assume that's where the hose connects to the assembly--there's not a hex-shaped slot inside there?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So I started playing around with some conversion work, I used Reaper's Maladorn as the base and slapped Rauthuros' head, lower left hand, and wings on him. I'm fairly pleased with it, though I do have more green stuffing and filing left to do. Here's a WIP. Btw, the head and arms are loosely pinned, but not glued, so ignore it if they look a bit weird.

The joint where the wings are attached is what bugs me. Its starting to grow on me, but I first thought it looked a bit wonky they way they just jut out of his back. I was thinking I could smooth out the gap between his back and the joint (as shown in the last picture) with green stuff and add some spikes/horns popping out to accentuate it. As I look at other demon models, though, it seems like its not uncommon to see wings attach more or less how they appear here, so what say you guys?

Also, lightbox, yadda yadda I know... and sorry to interrupt the guide to airbrush maintenance.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Try putting some armor plating over the joint and part of the wing's arm. The segmented kind of overlapping plates, I mean.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Alternatively if you're not afraid of tools you could drill into the back and create a recess.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I already did remove some of his back, but he wasn't designed to have wings and the way his armor wraps around his back would have required me to cut and reshape the armor around there, which would be even harder for me.

e: In fact, the wings originally had fat pegs that fit into a big slot in Rauthuros' back, but even that slot jutted out like this ended up, and I kind of think Rauthuros as a whole is kinda retarded looking anyway, so it didn't help me to look favorably upon it. I ended up clipping and filing the pegs on the wings as well as removing a ton of excess material around that joint and removing some of Maladorn's back to get it flush and, idda know, natural looking?

Mondian fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 24, 2010

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Totally stealing that conversion recipe to use for Gothmog when I make my First Age LoTR army.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

^^^
Too bad, probably won't want to use Rauthuros' sweet skull hilted sword then, as Maladorn's original left hand holds a whip of flames.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, i'm a dumbass that misread what you posted :(

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 24, 2010

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I have no idea about LoTR or whatever you're good at, I'm just saying Maladorn comes with a whip of flames like Gothmog is said to have wielded.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^^^
No problem, bro. :hfive:

Okay, in that case, in the assembly diagram, is there a rubber washer/gasket? If not, throw the whole thing into some brake cleaner, then thoroughly rinse it out after a few hours.

If it does, well, drop it into some Simple Green or LA's and hope for the best.

EDIT: what about the back, opposite of the pointy bit? I assume that's where the hose connects to the assembly--there's not a hex-shaped slot inside there?

You were right all along, the hole is super tiny but it's hexagonal, so I need to go buy a small allen wrench. Hope this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Silhouette posted:

Totally stealing that conversion recipe to use for Gothmog when I make my First Age LoTR army.

You better assemble and paint all seventy of his troll bodyguards buddy or I won't be happy :colbert: Seriously though that sounds cool, I'd probably get into GW's LotR stuff if they made a first age game

• Locked thread