Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Took it to Blue Mountains for a festival and stopped at these lookouts. Dirt road on a cruiser is a bit lol. Only had the balls to gun it to lose rear traction once though :)

Click here for the full 1632x951 image.

Click here for the full 1632x1088 image.

Love those pipes every day I hear them. I still wonder though would some long straight ones have looked more appropriate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarface
Dec 30, 2004

by Peatpot

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

check me out

scarface fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 20, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jaz posted:

Took it to Blue Mountains for a festival and stopped at these lookouts. Dirt road on a cruiser is a bit lol. Only had the balls to gun it to lose rear traction once though :)

Click here for the full 1632x951 image.

Click here for the full 1632x1088 image.

Love those pipes every day I hear them. I still wonder though would some long straight ones have looked more appropriate?

Staggered ones look hot on the softail-style. How many miles to you have on the vstar? I hit 7000 on mine this month on my California trip.

I need to do something about my stock exhaust. Not many choices for the 1300, either a whole new system or one choice of slip-on.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 21, 2010

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
06 SV650S. Completely stock at the moment. I rode from Houston to the 'three sisters' which is about an hour past san antonio. Its a 80 or so mile loop of three roads - 335, 336 and 337 which are meant to be some of the best riding roads in Texas. All up ~ 800 mile round trip.

Top of the shopping list is now an aftermarket seat (oh sweet jesus..)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

GanjamonII posted:

06 SV650S. Completely stock at the moment. I rode from Houston to the 'three sisters' which is about an hour past san antonio. Its a 80 or so mile loop of three roads - 335, 336 and 337 which are meant to be some of the best riding roads in Texas. All up ~ 800 mile round trip.

Top of the shopping list is now an aftermarket seat (oh sweet jesus..)

Excellent. One of these days you should hunt down the DOM rock from Fandango just for the hell of it:

http://www.ultimatefandango.com/info/locations.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

French Canadian posted:

My dad just finished up his newest project, a 1997 DR650. Bought a discontinued, leftover fairing from Britannia Composites and mounted it. Fancy-pants carb, full exhaust, giant brake rotor that promotes front wheel washouts in sand, TKC80s, gps, Trailtech computer, Cogent Dynamics shock, eibach'd forks, scotts damper, rebuilt engine, and other bits of yellow and black.

He made me take it for the first actual ride, and it wheelies pretty good. Some buffeting on my dirtbike helmet at 60+ but quite nice overall.

This looks really nice. I'd like to eventually rig up a windshield setup like that on my DRZ. Does it mount to the forks or does it solid mount to the frame?

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007
My pimped out Honda Ruckus:

...with Angry Eyes mod

Ander
Sep 19, 2007
My kid's a squid.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PyxlWyz posted:

...with Angry Eyes mod

Why does your scooter have a wider rear tire than my Ninja 250?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

PyxlWyz posted:

...with Angry Eyes mod

That is the motherfucking bee's knees son. Love it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

The jokes really write themselves here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

How else can he bring the motherfuckin' ruckus?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

frozenphil posted:

Probably makes more power than your Ninja 250. ;) (I'm joking)

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Here's my sexy girl:

Made in the former GDR. MZ TS 250/1; two-stroke 10kw engine; born 1975. Torn down to the last rusty screw, restored and rebuilt. Had 1617 km on the odo when I bought it, it was a very smooth and satisfying restoration. Even though it took too many loving years. Now I daily drive her and it's GOOD.

Frost fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 22, 2010

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

clutchpuck posted:

Staggered ones look hot on the softail-style. How many miles to you have on the vstar? I hit 7000 on mine this month on my California trip.

I need to do something about my stock exhaust. Not many choices for the 1300, either a whole new system or one choice of slip-on.

I've done 3000km since I bought it second hand. Slips ons were cheaper and easier to install.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Frost posted:

Here's my sexy girl:

Made in the former GDR. MZ TS 250/1; two-stroke 10kw engine; born 1975. Torn down to the last rusty screw, restored and rebuilt. Had 1617 km on the odo when I bought it, it was a very smooth and satisfying restoration. Even though it took too many loving years. Now I daily drive her and it's GOOD.

Beautiful work. Rarely seen in the wild in the US, especially in motion. Interesting that MZ absolutely owned Six Days back in the 60s. Time to work your magic on a neglected Munch Mammut--they're commanding big $ these days.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
They are easy to get here in Germany and pretty cheap too. But they are also a lot of fun to work and ride on and I have an undying love for them.

I am already thinking about what project to take up for the next decade and I'm not entirely sure yet. A 70s Honda CB450 to restore would be hella cool, or maybe I'll butcher another MZ into a dirtbike, or maybe I can get my hands on a Maico 400, or a Yamaha XT500. Offroad is something I definately wanna try.

Frost fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 22, 2010

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Z3n posted:

This looks really nice. I'd like to eventually rig up a windshield setup like that on my DRZ. Does it mount to the forks or does it solid mount to the frame?

It's attached to the forks, so it turns with the handlebars. All of the cables and stuff moving around looks kind of unwieldy, but nothing seems to snag or catch.

More pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

French Canadian posted:

It's attached to the forks, so it turns with the handlebars. All of the cables and stuff moving around looks kind of unwieldy, but nothing seems to snag or catch.

More pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03

That bit with the sidestand...genius! Need to do that to my DRZ.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Ander posted:

That is a not completely hideous Harley.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cruisers tend to look pretty good when they're not covered in twice their base cost in chrome accessories.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Endless Mike posted:

Cruisers tend to look pretty good when they're not covered in twice their base cost in chrome accessories.

Both compliments by proxy accepted and appreciated :)

It's splitting hairs, but the Sporty is probably closer to a standard, given that it was originally MoCo's answer to the Bonneville. In a sense, they're a blank canvas and what people do with them once they leave the floor (chop, bob, race, slam, chrome to death) sends it into other categories. What you see above is a brilliant example of HD intercepting aftermarket revenue.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Haven't taken a shot of the GS in a while, so I grabbed one this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ander
Sep 19, 2007

Dubs posted:

That is a not completely hideous Harley.

Ha thanks, I like it a lot and have put about 16,000 miles on it in two summers. It actually looks better from the other side, plus the front tire is turned towards the foreground so it looks a bit squatty at that angle but I love that photo. It's a 2008 Nightster. Stock except for the forward controls and upside-down mirrors.

I have a GSX600 that I rode quite a bit, but doubt I'll go back to it as a daily rider. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ander posted:

It actually looks better from the other side...

Yeah the Sportys look a little empty on the left side; their big-twin brothers with pipes on one side and belt on the other have more of a visual balance I think.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it wrong that I only really like Sportsters and Dynas really (well, anything with the outboard shocks and no fairing, simple front end that doesn't look massive for the frame)? Does this make me a hated person in Harley circles?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

lancemantis posted:

Is it wrong that I only really like Sportsters and Dynas really (well, anything with the outboard shocks and no fairing, simple front end that doesn't look massive for the frame)? Does this make me a hated person in Harley circles?

If the forks have no rake, then yes, yes it does.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

lancemantis posted:

You're not alone. The Sporty, unfortunately, is still the subject of a lot of stale pop wisdom mostly having to do with its place on the pricing spectrum. For a lot of people now (myself included), it is both entry and exit level. Nothing else in the stable seems appealing, with the exception of a stripped Dyna. Maybe after you've rocked one of those a while, you reach a stage in life where you develop a fondness for cupholders and conchos.

The various Sportster forums are loaded with tales of alienation and woe along these lines, some of it justified, some of it nonsense. The dealerships are not held in high regard, and as a result there is a very real DIY ethic among owners. Beyond that, it's about two motors, one that's in the majority of the lineup and one that's in just the XL variants, with both "sides" ragging on the other and claiming victory. Coke/Pepsi, Time/Newsweek, Dick Sargent/Dick York...

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

PyxlWyz posted:

...with Angry Eyes mod

I miss my Ruckus so much, maybe I should sell some poo poo and buy a new one. It was my first bike and I wasn't aware of the crazy world of Ruckus modding until after I sold it :( If I sell my F650 soon I may buy a new one and start all over.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

lancemantis posted:

It depends. Are you a girl? :haw:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of stale...

Ander
Sep 19, 2007

lancemantis posted:

I'm in the same boat and I'll probably buy a Dyna next time around. I like the look and the price points are nice too. I paid a little over 11k for the Nightster after taxes and a Dyna isn't much more than that.

As for the Harley circle Sporty hate. My father in law is an old school Bandido and rode a Sportster for years. Quite a few guys in the club did/do.

People like to feel superior, so no matter what you ride there's always going to be some sort of hate directed your way. Whatever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ander posted:

My father in law is an old school Bandido...

Are you my Zones.com rep? I got a anecdote like that yesterday on the phone.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

PyxlWyz posted:

we've had 2 ruckii in the shop lately with fuel pump issues. how's yours?

Ander
Sep 19, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Are you my Zones.com rep? I got a anecdote like that yesterday on the phone.

It's the truth, but he rides a dresser these days. It was an 883 at that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Suzuki GSX600F. 1988 model, 28k miles. Repainted by PO to look like a 1997. ISR fully floating front brakes along with steel braided hoses, also by PO. Bought it Mondays for US$2300 (bikes are not cheap in Sweden).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Be glad that you got the bike from somebody who apparently knew what he was doing. All the modified bikes I see on Craigslist have worthless poo poo like extended swingarms.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Suzuki GSX600F. 1988 model, 28k miles. Repainted by PO to look like a 1997. ISR fully floating front brakes along with steel braided hoses, also by PO. Bought it Mondays for US$2300 (bikes are not cheap in Sweden).

$2300 is a fair price for that bike, it looks like its in great condition

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah that's the usual response :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Sup Katana buddy. This is my 01 750 I picked up back in April. This pic was taken after my first spin on it. You can't see it, but there is a big smile on my face.

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 25, 2010