Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMortimer
Jun 2, 2009

You, too... Immortal?
No. I just don't fear death.
Dreams can't always be controlled. If they want to do crazy poo poo, Id throw a will roll in there to see if they can harness the power of the mind to use the dreamscape, because it's not their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

MrMortimer posted:

Dreams can't always be controlled. If they want to do crazy poo poo, Id throw a will roll in there to see if they can harness the power of the mind to use the dreamscape, because it's not their own.

If the lucid dreaming thread in GBS is any indication, they'll just shoot the dragon with guns and immediately start loving.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
As a background, I'm planning to run an Eberron game in a couple of months. Haven't even recruited the players yet, so this is all very early planning stage theoretical crap.

So, we all know railroading is bad, and forcing decisions openly ("Nuh-uh, your character doesn't do that, he does this.") is just downright terrible...

But can a DM get away with it in the opening session if it's being set up as a "guys, this is your introduction into the world. It's a single railroady session, then you are free to do what you like"? Of course, there will be a fluff explanation of why the DM "controls" the players to some extent.

The basic premise, without giving anything away with regards to overarching plans, is to have the PC's start the game under the control of a shadowy organisation of some kind. Crystal amulets around their necks compelling them to follow orders from the badguy lieutenan. The idea is for the first session to be them on a mission somewhere for the guys controlling them. Some how they unavoidably end up losing the amulets (broken, taken off of them, countered by a spell, no idea yet, but unavoidable), remember their own pasts but very little of what happened to them since they were wearing the amulets. From that point they are free.

Of course, I could start the game with "You wake up in the dungeon, the hazy memory of how you got there fading from your mind." A sort of "after all that happens" sort of thing. That way there is no railroading of actual play. I just think it'd play out cooler if I can take their sheets and say "Okay, you've been sent in here to retrieve the [artifact]. As you step through the portal into their base, you see [enemies]. roll for initiative!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm having some problems with 4e skill challenges. Not the normal ones, because I'm not retarded, but sort of problematic:

The players are good. I mean, really good. They each have two or three skills that they are astoundingly good at (like, a +18 at 11th level). The problem is that the guide says a "hard" DC for their level's skill challenge is around 21. Well, that means that each player has a skill that they hit on a 3 or 4. Now, obviously the players want their characters to be good at something, and they've taken feats to do so. I'm fine with that.

But my options are, "PCs breeze through every skill challenge, which is supposed to equal the fighting of four monsters" and "tailor skill challenge to be specifically unfriendly to their skills"

I know about only allowing X successes with each skill, but it seems like in a diff 4 encounter (8 before 3), the party will start with 3-5 successes without really trying, lowering skill challenges from "roleplaying opportunity" to "just botch already to get back to the bard's turn"

What am I doing wrong?

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Women...bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
You're not using the Obsidian Skill Challenge System

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/241440-stalker0s-obsidian-skill-challenge-system-new-version-1-2-a.html

I found it to be a much better system. For starters, they get rid of the punishment for failing a roll - You get three rounds, and need X successes in those three rounds. It splits the skills up into different types - mental, physical, and social, and you should only rarely allow them to go outside of it.

I found it to be a lot more enjoyable using that system.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Masonity posted:

As a background, I'm planning to run an Eberron game in a couple of months. Haven't even recruited the players yet, so this is all very early planning stage theoretical crap.

So, we all know railroading is bad, and forcing decisions openly ("Nuh-uh, your character doesn't do that, he does this.") is just downright terrible...

But can a DM get away with it in the opening session if it's being set up as a "guys, this is your introduction into the world. It's a single railroady session, then you are free to do what you like"? Of course, there will be a fluff explanation of why the DM "controls" the players to some extent.

The basic premise, without giving anything away with regards to overarching plans, is to have the PC's start the game under the control of a shadowy organisation of some kind. Crystal amulets around their necks compelling them to follow orders from the badguy lieutenan. The idea is for the first session to be them on a mission somewhere for the guys controlling them. Some how they unavoidably end up losing the amulets (broken, taken off of them, countered by a spell, no idea yet, but unavoidable), remember their own pasts but very little of what happened to them since they were wearing the amulets. From that point they are free.

Of course, I could start the game with "You wake up in the dungeon, the hazy memory of how you got there fading from your mind." A sort of "after all that happens" sort of thing. That way there is no railroading of actual play. I just think it'd play out cooler if I can take their sheets and say "Okay, you've been sent in here to retrieve the [artifact]. As you step through the portal into their base, you see [enemies]. roll for initiative!"

The second option sounds fine to me. Honestly, the players should be mature enough to accept the reasonable restrictions of your setting and scenario and try to tailor their characters to that. Yes, let them go wild and play their characters, but put your foot down whenever someone's actions interfere with the group's fun. Rich Burlew puts this better than I could in this article for players:

quote:

Decide to React Differently: Have you ever had a party break down into fighting over the actions of one of their members? Has a character ever threatened repeatedly to leave the party? Often, intraparty fighting boils down to one player declaring, "That's how my character would react." Heck, often you'll be the one saying it; it's a common reaction when alignments or codes of ethics clash.

However, it also creates a logjam where neither side wants to back down. The key to resolving this problem is to decide to react differently. You are not your character, and your character is not a separate entity with reactions that you cannot control. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a player state that their character's actions are not under their control. Every decision your character makes is your decision first. It is possible and even preferable for you to craft a personality that is consistent but also accommodating of the characters the other players wish to play.

When you think about a situation, ask yourself, "Is this the only way my character can react to this?" Chances are, the answer is, "No." Try to refine your character so that you can deal with situations that conflict with your alignment/ethos without resorting to ultimatums, threats, etc. This will often mean thinking in terms of compromise and concession to your fellow players, or at the very least an agreement to disagree.

Here's another example: In a campaign I DM'd, the party's bard lifted a magical sword behind the back of the party's Lawful Good monk. The monk had basically decided that the bodies of several fallen knights would be buried without looting, and rather than argue, the bard just grabbed the sword. The bad news was, the sword was cursed; it was the blade that had belonged to a ghost that roamed the castle, and whenever the bard drew it, the ghost materialized and attacked him (and only him). Eventually, the bard 'fessed up that he had stolen the sword. The monk (and the monk's player) became furious, and declared that he could no longer travel with the bard. Either the bard had to leave, or he would. It became a huge argument between characters and players, and it was entirely unnecessary. The monk did not have to react with an ultimatum; the monk did not even have to be angry, no matter what his alignment was. The bard had already suffered the misfortune of having his Charisma drained by the ghost repeatedly; the monk could have chosen (for example) to lecture the bard on how his theft had brought him nothing but misery. He chose to create player conflict when it was just as easy to not.

Personally, I blame the paladin for this. The original paladin class created the precedent for one player thinking he has the right to dictate the morality of other players. That drives me nuts. Ever since, players who select a Lawful Good character automatically assume it is up to them to police the rest of the party, and too often, the rest of the party lets them. As far as I'm concerned, no player has the right to tell another player how to act. Lawful Good is not the "right" way to be, and it is unacceptable to push your character's ideals on other players whether they want them or not.

Another useful application of this concept involves accepting story hooks your DM gives to you. Try to never just say, "My character isn't interested in that adventure." A lot of people mistake this for good roleplaying, because you are asserting your character's personality. Wrong. Good roleplaying should never bring the game to a screeching halt. One of your jobs as a player is to come up with a reason why your character would be interested in a plot. After all, your personality is entirely in your hands, not the DM's. Come up with a reason why the adventure (or the reward) might appeal to you, no matter how esoteric or roundabout the reasoning.

If the paladin is to blame for the last problem, this one belongs to the druid. Druids have such a specific set of principles that players often mistake them for being a free pass to demand that each adventure revolve around their goals. Raiding a dungeon for gold doesn't appeal to the druid mindset, so what are you to do if you play one and are presented with that goal? You improvise. Maybe the gold will enable you to purchase magic items that will let you protect the wilderness. Maybe the ruins contain unnatural monsters that need to be killed regardless of the treasure. Maybe, just maybe, the other PCs are your friends and you are willing to help them just because. Too often that last part is forgotten; I don't think anyone reading this has never spent the night doing something they'd rather not because a friend asked.

So if you're really paying attention, you may be thinking, "Hey, don't those two points contradict one another? First he says to separate what your character thinks from what you think, but then he says your character doesn't have its own reactions." Well, no. Separate your character's thoughts from your own thoughts, but don't forget who is in control of both personalities. The division between your personality and that of your character only goes so far as it helps the game; once it begins becoming a disruption, a player has a responsibility to alter his or her character's decisions in the interest of the group. In the end, your relationships with the people you are sitting in someone's living room with are more important than your character's internal consistency.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 23, 2010

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I'm having some problems with 4e skill challenges.

What am I doing wrong?

I, too, find skill challenges as written to be uneventful. I've been doing something else instead--no criteria for failure, the players just have to accumulate a set number of successes--I run a six person party, and I tend to go for six successes. But every time they make a roll, succeed or fail, I charge a healing surge.

As a for example, recently the party was building lightning rail through the wilds of Droam, and because of eminent domain they were in a dead heat race with a group of dutch warforged, so I wasn't giving them a chance to go for extended rests. I just went around the table, pointing at each player and challenging them. "Wildfires have been spotted about a mile to the east of the rail you're building, coming your way." "A small orcish warcamp has declared they don't want your devil trains on their land, stealing their souls." "No fewer than seventeen ancient ruins have been spotted along the planned route, and the workers are worried about undead attacks." Then they'd respond to the challenge. If a player didn't feel confident about handling a problem, they could ask someone else to jump in, but they'd both lose a healing surge due to the exhaustion of hauling rear end to wherever the problem was.

If each player manages to use their skills in a clever and successful manner, everyone's down one healing surge, they get exp for overcoming a level appropriate encounter, and the adventure proceeds from there. If they botch a few rolls, they're a little more tired. And if they rely on the thief to do everything for them, he's friggin' exhausted for the rest of the adventure.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I'm having some problems with 4e skill challenges.

What am I doing wrong?

Bit of a rambling response here, sorry.

I'm still trying to work out skill challenges myself, but I think there's a valid comparison here with combat. In earlier editions, combat was off-balance in much the same way as you're describing: a few players with skill sets who could shut down things unless the encounter was specifically tailored to eliminate their strengths. Now, most of that was down to poor design, but there was another big factor: the lack of a map. Without the map, it was easy for the wizard to declare "I drop a fireball," and the fight was over. With a map, though, it becomes clear that dropping a fireball isn't a trivial thing you can do whenever you want: the party has to work to get everything into a place where the fireball will work.

So my intuition is that what skill challenges need is the equivalent of a tactical map: that is, something that makes the players have to work to get into a position where their characters can use their skills. One aspect of this is requiring successes to "unlock" other skills. So maybe the bard has +18 to Diplomacy, but who is he going to be diplomatic at? He needs to speak to the lord of the castle, but the guards at the gate aren't going to let him -- their orders are to keep people out unless they have a castle seal. Maybe Thievery can let them forge a seal, or Streetwise might find a guard amenable to bribing, or Athletics and Stealth to climb the wall. Maybe History to find some legal precedent to let them in. The idea is to define an end-goal, and then have the players construct a narrative that allows them to use skills in order to move towards that goal.

To make it work, you'd have to let go the whole "eight successes before three failures" thing, except as a design guideline. For a difficult encounter, you want to aim for a scenario such that there are eight to ten obstacles between the starting situation and the end goal, and a failure scenario that kicks in after three or four successes.

This isn't much in the way of advice, because I'm still working out how to do this reliably myself. My first attempt (navigating an early-warning trap room) worked pretty well, and it confirmed my main thought: the key is to keep the players out of the "roll my highest skill" mentality.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dedekind posted:

Bit of a rambling response here, sorry.

I'm still trying to work out skill challenges myself, but I think there's a valid comparison here with combat. In earlier editions, combat was off-balance in much the same way as you're describing: a few players with skill sets who could shut down things unless the encounter was specifically tailored to eliminate their strengths. Now, most of that was down to poor design, but there was another big factor: the lack of a map. Without the map, it was easy for the wizard to declare "I drop a fireball," and the fight was over. With a map, though, it becomes clear that dropping a fireball isn't a trivial thing you can do whenever you want: the party has to work to get everything into a place where the fireball will work.

So my intuition is that what skill challenges need is the equivalent of a tactical map: that is, something that makes the players have to work to get into a position where their characters can use their skills. One aspect of this is requiring successes to "unlock" other skills. So maybe the bard has +18 to Diplomacy, but who is he going to be diplomatic at? He needs to speak to the lord of the castle, but the guards at the gate aren't going to let him -- their orders are to keep people out unless they have a castle seal. Maybe Thievery can let them forge a seal, or Streetwise might find a guard amenable to bribing, or Athletics and Stealth to climb the wall. Maybe History to find some legal precedent to let them in. The idea is to define an end-goal, and then have the players construct a narrative that allows them to use skills in order to move towards that goal.

To make it work, you'd have to let go the whole "eight successes before three failures" thing, except as a design guideline. For a difficult encounter, you want to aim for a scenario such that there are eight to ten obstacles between the starting situation and the end goal, and a failure scenario that kicks in after three or four successes.

This isn't much in the way of advice, because I'm still working out how to do this reliably myself. My first attempt (navigating an early-warning trap room) worked pretty well, and it confirmed my main thought: the key is to keep the players out of the "roll my highest skill" mentality.

This idea works really well with the Obsidian Skill Challenge system. Each round could have a different set of skills allowed. So the first round could be getting into the building, the second round could be getting access to the king, and the third round could be convincing the king to help.

Pentheus
May 23, 2006
I think the worst thing you can do in a skill challenge is announce to the party that they are in a skill challenge because the players will modulate their thinking accordingly and a boring encounter occurs.

I prefer to integrate skill challenges into other forms of interaction, mission planning and combat being the big ones. Combat is especially interesting because action economy becomes huge: players have to decide whether to cleave an orc or try to disable the death machine or w/e

For example, I recently ran an encounter where the players fought against a team of excavators and the totemic guardian of a ruin. The guardian could not be killed in normal fashion, but the players could knock it down, rendering it somewhat helpless, and then the mystical wards on it could be deactivated, making it inert. So, the skill challenge was how to take down the statue, and the players concocted a great plan in which they climbed a nearby building and used a section of mooring rope to garrote it, whilst simultaneously using particular powers like blastback swipe to destabilize its legs. The end of the challenge occurred when the statue was tottering around and the barbarian jumped on its face, causing it fall upon a mob of enemies.

I also made sure to lay the groundwork: In an earlier fight, while the players too on an occult sorcerer, a group of NPCs took one of these statues down. This gave me an opportunity to set expectations: that they would not be able to kill the thing normally, that it could be knocked down in various ways, and that the players would have to fight one of their own soon. This gave the players time to plan a bit (they picked up the rope and some explosives, as well as interrogating various NPCs on the best approaches) but they also had to improvise since the details of the terrain and enemies were not known to them in advance.

I find this sort of approach works well and accommodates a lot of player demographics. Some like to plan, some just want to kill things with swords, and others want to use an arsenal of skills and tools to solve puzzles. Combi-encounters are good as a happy medium.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pentheus posted:

Combi-encounters are good as a happy medium.
Agreed. The two skill challenges that I've run that were really successful were both challenges that happened in the middle of combat, and forced the PCs to split their actions between "not dying from enemies" and "solving skill challenge, and thus not dying"

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Agreed. The two skill challenges that I've run that were really successful were both challenges that happened in the middle of combat, and forced the PCs to split their actions between "not dying from enemies" and "solving skill challenge, and thus not dying"

I thought about running an encounter this way, but it seemed to me it was basically asking a player to voluntarily take a dazed status: "Oh, well, I don't get to do anything fun this turn because we need an Arcana check." Was that how your players were taking it? Or if not, how did you run it so that they were feeling useful when they were using skills instead of powers?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dedekind posted:

I thought about running an encounter this way, but it seemed to me it was basically asking a player to voluntarily take a dazed status: "Oh, well, I don't get to do anything fun this turn because we need an Arcana check." Was that how your players were taking it? Or if not, how did you run it so that they were feeling useful when they were using skills instead of powers?
One situation was, the party was dithering, and the warden (a total Instigator-type) ran ahead into the next room, kick-down-doors-fight-monsters style. Well, the monsters didn't take kindly to this, and dropped a iron porticullis between the last room and the one they were in. The warden then had to survive against an entire encounter's worth of monsters while the rest of the party skill-challenged the door open.

The other was when the party, in a helicopter (don't ask) got their stabilizer tail bitten off by a Red Dragon who was upset they were flying near his mountain. So half the party jumped out, Terminal Velocity-style, and did aerial combat against the dragon and his minions (they had potions of feather fall instead of parachutes) and the ranged characters stayed in the spinning, falling chopper to try and do fire control while taking potshots as needed. (the skill challenge was to have the chopper crash softly instead of hard) The aformentioned warden even got in on it from outside by trying to hold the chopper steady from outside.

So yeah, splitting the party works, for very small values of split.

MrMortimer
Jun 2, 2009

You, too... Immortal?
No. I just don't fear death.

Dedekind posted:

The difference between being dazed and doing a check is that your character is actually doing something. I think it could be awesome/really suspenseful if while fighting bad guys one of the characters was off trying to do a check to advance through the dungeon.

Pentheus
May 23, 2006

Dedekind posted:

My players really seem to enjoy it a lot; skill checks in such encounters are generally more strategic and interesting than "attack orc, hit, roll damage".

In the example I described, the players planned and executed a complex strategy of their own devising; I just set some very basic rules: knock it down, but you can't kill it. They figured out how to use the terrain and their skills/powers to best effect. And the resulting encounter was a lot of fun: the players planned together, worked as a team and scrutinized their sheets for abilities to leverage.

I think the trick is to make it clear that players can use skills, without telling them specifically which skills to use and how to use them. If you structure your encounter such that it's clear what is needed and when, reducing skills to simple keys to be inserted in an obvious keyhole each round, yes, it will suck for them.

Honestly, when I plan more or less "freestyle" challenges, I try not to think too hard about how the players can solve it so I don't inadvertently railroad them into a particular solution. This is a fine line to toe, however, because if players can't figure out what to do and you can't help them, they get frustrated too.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.

Pentheus posted:

I think the trick is to make it clear that players can use skills, without telling them specifically which skills to use and how to use them. If you structure your encounter such that it's clear what is needed and when, reducing skills to simple keys to be inserted in an obvious keyhole each round, yes, it will suck for them.

I think a good example of this was when I had someone come into the player's bases cosmetics area to give the players some disguise kits.

The players had earlier that day received information that a Doppleganger was going to try infiltrating the quarantined zone they had set up to keep a hideous magic resistant disease under control. Informed, they had their followers arrow away the obvious Doppleganger. But while they were out engaging in a seperate fight elsewhere, their followers were given some free disguise kits.

The players were rushing around, double checked the quarantined zone, invented new security measures, smashed one of the kits open, checked them for poison, checked them for magic, double checked the quarantined zone again. The other character had decided to head back to her base to rest, when she found she'd been given free disguise kits as well. She also managed to notice her hairbrush was out of place, which allowed them to figure out that the kits were a red herring, an excuse to get into their bases and steal some of their hair. They deduced what spell was likely to be used, and devised appropriate magical counter measures.

It was great fun for a non combat encounter. The PC's were actually more worried then they were in the combat encounter itself. (Although even if it was successful, it would not have been as threatening, overall it was an easy night.)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Masonity posted:

If you've sold the game to the players as "The game starts with you being the mind-controlled servants of a shadowy organisation, compelled to follow their orders by magical amulets around your necks (which you haven't yet found a way to remove)" then it's not railroady to have the first session be just that.

In my book, railroading is when a GM forces an entire plot upon you. That's why it's called a railroad: there's a story laid out in front of you and you've got no option but to follow it. Having single plot points that get forced on your characters is far less bad, especially because it's much easier if the players miss their plot point in Dungeon A to relocate it to Dungeon B instead without making the players realise they were forced, and especially especially if your plot point is of the form "This thing, which is outside of your control, happens to you. How do you react?"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Whybird posted:

If you've sold the game to the players as "The game starts with you being the mind-controlled servants of a shadowy organisation, compelled to follow their orders by magical amulets around your necks (which you haven't yet found a way to remove)" then it's not railroady to have the first session be just that.

Just make sure you're honest with your players and say around how long this might last and that this isn't the whole point of the game.

I just saying that if I was told that, with no indication that it would change or end, I'd have second thoughts about even participating.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok I'm looking for a couple of ideas. The game I play in has a compulsive cheater, always getting really high on rolls that count and things like that. We all know he does it and our GM wants to try and break him of it before having to tell him to :frogout:

We're playing in the 3.5 D&D system. One of the ideas I threw up was doing a mirror fight in a magic room where he and his opponent switched dice rolls for everything and he had no idea.

Any ideas would be great.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok I'm looking for a couple of ideas. The game I play in has a compulsive cheater, always getting really high on rolls that count and things like that. We all know he does it and our GM wants to try and break him of it before having to tell him to :frogout:

We're playing in the 3.5 D&D system. One of the ideas I threw up was doing a mirror fight in a magic room where he and his opponent switched dice rolls for everything and he had no idea.

Any ideas would be great.

That doesn't seem likely to solve the problem. Cheating is basically one of the most embarrassing things you can get caught doing, and while the above idea is a great way to screw with him, it won't make him admit to what he's doing. If you're really unlucky, he'll even use it as an example of how he's "not always lucky" because he got his rear end kicked that one time.

The best thing you can do is be discrete but firm. I actually had this same problem a year or two ago, with a player who was also a good friend of mine. Everyone knew he was doing it, and it was painfully awkward for everyone, trying to pretend to be excited when something went well for him. What I ended up doing was taking him aside privately before a game, and explaining that I'd seen him altering his rolls, he denied it, and I repeated firmly that I'd seen it, and it needed to stop. I explained that I realized he got super-excited about the game, and that he wanted the party to do well, but that it actually hurt the party. I reminded him that if he was always successful, it forced me as GM to up the difficulty of encounters to retain threat, but since the other players were playing fair, they became less and less equipped to deal with the encounters, and thus more likely to die the more he fudged his rolls.

The most important things are not to let on that the other players know as well, and avoid overly condemning language. Hell, if you can avoid using the word 'cheating' it might be good. Basically, the less you shame them, the more likely they are to just quietly alter their behavior, even if they don't acknowledge it. That way you can all get back to having fun without too much drama.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

That doesn't seem likely to solve the problem. Cheating is basically one of the most embarrassing things you can get caught doing, and while the above idea is a great way to screw with him, it won't make him admit to what he's doing. If you're really unlucky, he'll even use it as an example of how he's "not always lucky" because he got his rear end kicked that one time.

The best thing you can do is be discrete but firm. I actually had this same problem a year or two ago, with a player who was also a good friend of mine. Everyone knew he was doing it, and it was painfully awkward for everyone, trying to pretend to be excited when something went well for him. What I ended up doing was taking him aside privately before a game, and explaining that I'd seen him altering his rolls, he denied it, and I repeated firmly that I'd seen it, and it needed to stop. I explained that I realized he got super-excited about the game, and that he wanted the party to do well, but that it actually hurt the party. I reminded him that if he was always successful, it forced me as GM to up the difficulty of encounters to retain threat, but since the other players were playing fair, they became less and less equipped to deal with the encounters, and thus more likely to die the more he fudged his rolls.

The most important things are not to let on that the other players know as well, and avoid overly condemning language. Hell, if you can avoid using the word 'cheating' it might be good. Basically, the less you shame them, the more likely they are to just quietly alter their behavior, even if they don't acknowledge it. That way you can all get back to having fun without too much drama.

I'd honestly prefer it that way if it were my game but our GM is a super nice guy and doesn't want to have a problem. Because pretty much this is the dude's last chance, he always plots against the party and crap like that. I have fun regardless since the GM doesn't let the dickhead win. I'm sure it'll work itself out eventually though.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheKingslayer posted:

I'd honestly prefer it that way if it were my game but our GM is a super nice guy and doesn't want to have a problem. Because pretty much this is the dude's last chance, he always plots against the party and crap like that. I have fun regardless since the GM doesn't let the dickhead win. I'm sure it'll work itself out eventually though.

so this is the guy's "last chance" and the DM won't even give him the courtesy of letting him know? Double secret probation isn't a tool in a super nice guy's toolbox.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Liesmith posted:

so this is the guy's "last chance" and the DM won't even give him the courtesy of letting him know? Double secret probation isn't a tool in a super nice guy's toolbox.

Agreed.

TheKingslayer posted:

he always plots against the party and crap like that.
On the other hand, ugh.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

TheKingslayer posted:

Here's the way to fix it. Have the GM say that he's going to try something new - all rolls done in the open. Then you can see if the dude is shameless enough to lie about what he rolls on a die in front of everyone. The flipside is that the GM has to roll in the open too but that's not a problem for me - I prefer it, keeps me honest.

Edit: Of course it's better to just be direct, but if you're ever going to win an argument with someone you have to give them a gracious way to back down. This puts up a warning flag but lets him mend his own behavior. Maybe.

That Rough Beast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 4, 2010

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
here's the way to fix it. have the gm take the guy aside and say "this game is not fun when you cheat, please stop cheating"

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I don't even understand how people realistically think they can get away with it anyway. I mean I'm sitting here trying to think of the various gimmicks you would use to cheat in a game where everybody rolls dice that are clearly visible on the tabletop to everyone else sitting there and all I'm coming up with is some keystone cops poo poo where you quickly pick the dice up before anyone can see or send them caroming off your trapper keeper into the floor and the idea of someone developing these techniques is just pathetic on so many levels.

That Rough Beast fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2010

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why not just lie about whats on your character sheet anyway, who actually lies about how they rolled. "oh yeah I forgot I've got another fireball memorized" is a much better lie than "I critically hit the orc lord"

seriously if you are going to be shameless go all out.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

That Rough Beast posted:

I don't even understand how people realistically think they can get away with it anyway. I mean I'm sitting here trying to think of the various gimmicks you would use to cheat in a game where everybody rolls dice that are clearly visible on the tabletop to everyone else sitting there and all I'm coming up with is some keystone cops poo poo where you quickly pick the dice up before anyone can see or send them caroming off your trapper keeper into the floor and the idea of someone developing these techniques is just pathetic on so many levels.

When my one friend would get a few beers in he'd be prone to fudging his ranger's rolls by snatching them up before anyone could get a good look at them, so a 6 might become a 16.

But we didn't care because by then we were usually also a few beers in.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
What? My players have to do all rolls in the open. There are obvious exceptions, but what the gently caress?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

We played in a living room, in a 'U' of couches around a small table. I didn't have a screen or anything, I just rolled on the edge of the coffee table behind a cupped hand. The table was usually pretty full of paper, pencils, drinks, books etc., and because of the layout it was impossible to get it near enough to all 3 couches at once to roll on easily. My die-roll fudging player was a pretty big guy, so of the five of us he usually had a couch to himself. That meant the table was usually positioned central to the couches with the rest of us. He rolled in the lid off a big cardboard box, and that worked fine for a long time. He wasn't a bad guy, not even particularly selfish- he just would get really invested, and hated letting the party down, so over time his frequency of good rolls began to get suspiciously good. I could see his rolls if I wanted to stand up, and one of my other players could easily crane his head, but we were all good friends and not in the habit of checking each other. Plus, it sped up the game if everyone could just shout out their replies. My first tip off was when his answers became hesitant, as he figured out what he needed before declaring what he had rolled. I started to stand up and look at his rolls, which often produced a sudden shift in the box that moved the die. That's when I knew we had a problem. None of us said anything until I caught him moving a little too slowly, and saw a 6 he declared as an 18 get 'tumbled' like that.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I'm new to the idea of running skill challenges and I'm just now beginning to have faith in my improvisational out-of-combat DMing. I've been looking at the Obsidian skill challenges and it seems like a good improvement over the published rules in the DMG, I am a definite believer that X successes before 3 rounds is a good model, but for the goddamn life of me I cannot figure out what a round is supposed to consist of outside of combat :sigh:

Let's say the party has been brought to trial on conspiracy charges, and they have to convince a judge that they're not associated with an evil cult. It's a social skill challenge using Diplomacy/Bluff/Insight (Intimidate probably wouldn't go down too smooth in a courtroom). This is what I'm envisioning:

1) DM says "Okay everyone around this table, tell me what you are going to do."
2) One by one everyone tells the DM what their character is doing and rolls using the skill they chose.
3) DM says "The judge looks down at you and says 'well i am not convinced hm okay'"
4) Repeat two more times

This can't be the sort of sequence envisioned by Obsidian, right? It just seems too rigid but I can't get the idea of rounds-as-in-combat out of my head.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

csammis posted:

I'm new to the idea of running skill challenges and I'm just now beginning to have faith in my improvisational out-of-combat DMing. I've been looking at the Obsidian skill challenges and it seems like a good improvement over the published rules in the DMG, I am a definite believer that X successes before 3 rounds is a good model, but for the goddamn life of me I cannot figure out what a round is supposed to consist of outside of combat :sigh:

Let's say the party has been brought to trial on conspiracy charges, and they have to convince a judge that they're not associated with an evil cult. It's a social skill challenge using Diplomacy/Bluff/Insight (Intimidate probably wouldn't go down too smooth in a courtroom). This is what I'm envisioning:

2) One by one everyone tells the DM what their character is doing and rolls using the skill they chose.
3) DM says "The judge looks down at you and says 'well i am not convinced hm okay'"
4) Repeat two more times

This can't be the sort of sequence envisioned by Obsidian, right? It just seems too rigid but I can't get the idea of rounds-as-in-combat out of my head.

For this example, I might do a prosecution (where each of them takes the stand against someone who is against them), defense (where they get to show their own reasoning for what happened), and closing arguments.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
So it should be more of a one-on-one thing in each round?

Player 1 role-plays out what they're going to do, makes the roll, and the DM reacts accordingly to its success or failure. Repeat for all players who are participating for the completion of one round, then twice more and count the successes at the end?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

csammis posted:

This is what I'm envisioning:

4) Repeat two more times

Try to find natural places to break it up. There's a reason that the Obsidian system is based around "segments" - that boils down to rounds in combat, but it doesn't have to be anything like that for non-combat challenges. A segment might end up lasting hours in-game in certain circumstances.

For instance, in a fantasy courtroom, you might say that everyone gets to make an opening statement to the judge/jury/whatever (segment one), witnesses are cross-examined (segment two), and finally everyone makes their closing statements (segment three). If the party later has to chase a cult member through the Menacing Woods of Darkness, they might face an athletic skill challenge where they have to quickly get across a fast-moving river or steep ravine after the cultist cut the rope bridge (segment one), keep up with the cultist through a dense thicket (segment two), and finally get through a maze of tripwires, pitfalls, and other minor traps outside the secret cult base (segment three). None of these are tied to rounds, and in fact might represent quite a bit of in-game time - but they're discrete places where players have to bring their skills into play for a larger goal.

csammis posted:

So it should be more of a one-on-one thing in each round?

Player 1 role-plays out what they're going to do, makes the roll, and the DM reacts accordingly to its success or failure. Repeat for all players who are participating for the completion of one round, then twice more and count the successes at the end?

This is a possibility, but it's not a requirement. In a roleplaying-heavy scene like the courtroom, it's probably your best option. In general, players are going to want to be able to present an impassioned defense of their friend, and from a mechanical standpoint they're probably going to want whatever roleplaying bonuses might be on the table, too. If people are chasing a dude through a thicket, on the other hand, it'd be a lot simpler. In that case, you'd probably just run a brief "I use skill x to do y," around the table, everybody rolls, and you figure out successes.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Was about to post this in the worst experiences thread but figured it wasn't that bad so I put it here:

Last night I DMed a solo session with my girlfriend to kind of introduce her to D&D (and PnP RPGs in general). It's kind of a pre-session to the main campaign I'll be starting soon--introduces her part in the story, gets her familiar with the system and combat and such, etc. Before the session she was really ambivalent, but willing to try it out for me. She ended up really enjoying it and says she can't wait for the campaign to start now :3:

But problem was, it'd been about 3-4 years since I'd DMed anything at all, and I was rusty as hell. Should've been simple--She rolled a Persian Half-elf Ranger, and decided for her background that she'd been captured and placed into slavery. I used this to segue into a relatively generic "you find yourself tied up and captured in a room..." thing (not by her master, but someone who bought her from the master). She then had to get free, find out why she'd been captured, and fight her way out of a crypt crawling with (very very weak) undead.

Should've been simple, but I kept slipping things here and there. At one point she was escorting a mute cleric who happened to be recently undead and in a Bad Guy's thrall, but she wasn't supposed to know that he was undead OR a cleric. I kept referring to him as a dead man, dropping hints here and there, until at one point she asked me a question about him and I replied "Well, the dead cleric is--wait gently caress."

Also I playtested the mini-adventure with her character sheet and discovered initially that I made my zombies way too strong (they kept swarming and killing her in the first room) and the skeleton way too weak (she one-shotted it consistently), so I fiddled with the stats til it seemed balanced. I did all right in making it challenging, but I didn't beef up the skeleton-boss enough and she two-shotted it easily. Oh well, a learning experience :)

A couple highlights: after breaking free of her bonds, then successfully grappling/tying up the undead cleric, she enters the first room and loving Legolases the three zombies in there: hit, hit, hit, and rolls high enough to kill each one in one shot, while the zombies shuffle toward her and don't even get close enough to spit. I thought that was an awesome way to start off, and she felt like a total badass. Also, later on she managed to crit a zombie so hard that I narrated it as her arrow hitting dead-center between the eyes, ripping the head off, and pinning it to the wall behind him.

And finally a question:

My idea for the campaign opener is this (kind of adapting an idea from another thread): This crypt she's in is actually a tomb honoring great and holy heroes, located beneath the town church (and also a tunnel leading to the commoner's graveyard, currently blocked). As she made her way closer to the end, she heard more and more commotion coming from above, and I ended the scene after she fought her way to a spiral staircase ascending to the main cathedral (which the Bad Guy ascended earlier before she fought the skeleton).

So in opening, I'm going to describe this scene: In front of the church, an angry mob of villagers--torches, pitchforks and all--have cornered the head priest at the entrance of the cathedral. They're led by an NPC Paladin (practically the Inquisition in this setting), and they demand answers/blood. The priest could have run inside and barred the doors, but he takes strength in his innocence, and is confronting them.

They're scared and angry because of reports/evidence that one of the clergy have been dabbling in necromantic magic. Everyone in town is there, the mayor's carriage and entourage (plus guards/etc.) are rolling up, and a few scattered mercenaries and "Robber Knights" who were passing through have stopped by to watch the scene unfold.

After describing this and going into a bit of detail, I'll give them a few minutes to decide who they are, where they are in the scene, and what they want/why they're there. Then Vena (girlfriend's character) will pop out of the staircase, and we'll begin playing, and we'll take it from there, however the scene plays out.

Any thoughts, comments?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

First, let's get it out of the way: it's me I'm the grognard.

I'm pretty good at calibrating encounters to fall just short of killing PCs. That seems cool with everyone. Players seem to like the sense of danger, and overcoming long odds. But the laws of probability dictate that in these situations someone's luck will run out. That's not really anything I relish. My players invest in their characters, and a good GM should also be invested in their individual plot threads. Character death is just a big disruption given the time and effort that can go into introducing and developing a decent replacement.

I've already preempted a failed survival roll (Saga Edition) with a handy deus ex machina, and forced a few sub-optimal choices with some dangerous foes. But this seems like a cop-out. One trick I'm considering instead of character death in these situations is temporary incapacitation; have the players roll up a secondary character to use for the odd session while their primary heals up.

So tell me what a vindictive douche I am here.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Raise dead?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Inapplicable (typically) in Star Wars. Even when it's genre appropriate, depending on player access to the spell and the costs the edition/homerules impose on it, it may not represent much in the way of consequences.

edit: I must admit I would be all for a raise dead spell (or re-animation technology that is functionally identical to magic) that brings people back not quite as lurching zombies, but in some state of putrid decay or with minor brain damage.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, raise dead and similar spells work perfectly fine. The XP penalty is a good incentive to be scared of dying.

Why not invent something similar? Your players don't die, but get heavily wounded and incapacitated. Medicinal facilities can heal this damage, but not completely. This results in permanent XP loss and temporary degradation of the character stats. Like -1 on all attributes until the next level is reached.