Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010

Ansob. posted:

No old game that's released on Steam is updated for modern machines because Steam does not impose quality control on publishers releasing their back-catalogue for a quick buck. If you want old games that work for modern machines, you buy from GOG.
Hmmmm. I did know that GOG did that, but I figured since they were a similar service Steam would do it to. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Hmmmm. I did know that GOG did that, but I figured since they were a similar service Steam would do it to. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though.

No. The thing with GOG is they explicitly acquire the licenses for old games, fix them so they run on modern machines, update them to the latest patch and take care of all support for the games they publish. This is why they have big names onboard: because they do absolutely all the work from A-Z and the publish just have to sit back and let the money fall into their pockets, at the slight disadvantage of having to let their games be sold without DRM (and presumably GOG takes a pretty large cut of the sales price for their efforts but it's not like the mega-publishers give a poo poo since it allows them to monetise assets they'd otherwise not be monetising at all).

By contrast, publishers can just put their back-catalogue games on Steam as-is and have absolutely no obligation to take on any kind of support for their legacy titles, so basically 90% of the old games you buy on Steam are pretty much guaranteed not to run properly on a modern PC, and whoever owns the rights to those absolutely does not give a single gently caress because again, they're making money out of it at virtually no cost to them instead of not making money out of it.

tl;dr the difference between Steam and GOG for old games is that the publisher doesn't give a gently caress about the state of their game or support for it in both cases, but GOG specifically set out to fix and support old games whereas Valve does not provide support for third-parties and certainly won't work on updating someone else's titles to work on modern machines.

e; VVV emptyquoting because you're loving right.

fleshweasel posted:

I wish GOG could get Thief and System Shock 2.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 24, 2010

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ugh, the superfreighter was such a chore. As soon as this "all challenges" biomod run is done I'm playing through again with an infinite ammo GEP gun.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish GOG could get Thief and System Shock 2.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Half the fun of the Dark Engine games is coaxing them to work on Vista or whatever.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Ugh, the superfreighter was such a chore.

Honestly, that's the only section of Deus Ex that bores the hell out of me. Finding those pressure points is so tedious.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I tried to replay DXIW today and my god, the house I grew up in is literally bigger than all these levels. And the loading times... to move 100 feet requires you to go through like 5 loading zones. I can't take it anymore.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

OregonDonor posted:

Honestly, that's the only section of Deus Ex that bores the hell out of me. Finding those pressure points is so tedious.

The worst part for me is trying to get out again when the ship is blowing up. I always lose my bearings and get turned around, and the fact that it's a huge chore to make any kind of precise jumps because the rocking of the ship throws you around just makes it worse. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

The worst part for me is trying to get out again when the ship is blowing up. I always lose my bearings and get turned around, and the fact that it's a huge chore to make any kind of precise jumps because the rocking of the ship throws you around just makes it worse. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

I actually just finished this segment for the first time and I'm pretty glad I upgraded the run/jump aug to level 4. Made it pretty easy to get through.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

http://tgq.nl/kentie.net/?article=dxguide posted:

I got about 7000 visitors yesterday thanks to the Steam deal on Deus Ex, hitting my hosting's bandwidth limit. Here's a simple and to the point page; the real site should be back in a week.

Direct3D10 renderer. Make sure to update DirectX and install the VC++ 2010 runtime first. Place the renderer files in your game's 'system' folder: d3d10drv.dll and .u in system, the other files in system\d3d10drv.

Deus Ex compatibility fixer, replace system\deusex.exe with this. For the Steam version, that's [steam install dir]\steamapps\common\deus ex\system.
That's at least 7000 new Dentons.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Liesmith posted:

Half the fun of the Dark Engine games is coaxing them to work on Vista or whatever.

You have a very strange idea of fun.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hogburto posted:

I bought the game for a couple friends and it's a total treat to hear them talk about how they're playing and all the different stuff they're running into. One didn't invest in Computers at all and was frustrated because he couldn't find passwords anywhere and kept getting trapped by cameras and spent an hour at the warehouse in Hell's Kitchen looking for the code to blow up the generator before realizing an exploding barrel does the job just as well.

Still, so far they all love it!

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Hogburto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4orTvfvdz8

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

You know the part of the ship where the fan is blowing at the bottom, and you have to ride it to the top? In the vents?

I got stuck in there with the ship exploding and had to restart. There was just no way to make the proper moves, and I kept getting thrown to the ground.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is the best. I was on my second playthrough at the NSF generator, and I saw some guards gathered around an explosive barrel, so I figured "eh, why the hell not" and shot it. Generator went boom, mission accomplished.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

You know the part of the ship where the fan is blowing at the bottom, and you have to ride it to the top? In the vents?

I got stuck in there with the ship exploding and had to restart. There was just no way to make the proper moves, and I kept getting thrown to the ground.

Haha how the hell did you manage that?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mike the TV posted:

Haha how the hell did you manage that?

The first time I played the game I thought I remembered getting in through a vent, so I found a vent and tried to leave by it. Then I found myself above the fan and every time I'd try to get out, the ship would shake, throwing me to the ground. Soooooo frustrating.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Pope Guilty posted:

That part of the ship is a totally optional route. I rarely go there because it is kind of annoying to navigate. Also, if you wanna make the ship escape easier, DON'T follow Tong's advice to leave through the roof vents. Just stroll out the front door and ride the crane to the roof.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!
I've played through this at least six times and just found the hidden cache of med bots on the first level. I'm still finding new things.

Too bad that killing Chad doesn't change any dialogue in the game. I think it's the only case where that happens (JC covers for all my dickish actions so well normally - "something about that guy just didn't smell right.")

Also:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

If you stun Simons with the prod while he's still in the hallway, you can knock out the two NSF prisoners with the baton/blackjack and carry them into another room to prevent them from being executed (for now, at least) and Simons doesn't go hostile. The MIBs thank you for not interfering in the interrogation, too. Through that whole first third of the game you can blast all your UNATCO co-workers and your boss in the face with the prod and run away as they have seizures. They usually won't get mad unless you do it three times in a row or something. Too bad they're all flagged invulnerable inside of UNATCO HQ.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
How the hell do people get into that cell, anyway? By the time I get there it's always locked at INF strength.

Paigicus
Sep 1, 2007

Note to self: I don't wanna see that!

AXE COP posted:

How the hell do people get into that cell, anyway? By the time I get there it's always locked at INF strength.

Run your rear end down there and you can beat Simons to the cell. Then run in while he opens the door to walk in.

It's so great because getting in requires the sort of thing that would break any other game. You're basically trying to glitch the game and see what happens, only to find out the programmers beat you to it and included an entire set of conversations and scripting that you would ONLY find if you tried to break the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ThreeHams posted:

Also:

Foreshadowing!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just thought about this today:

Was Ava Johnson in IW a play on how Jock and Black Helicopter merged into a single person during DX?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ThreeHams posted:

Also:

A very underrated exchange:

Walter Simons: "I'm a patient man..."
NSF Grunt: "Go to hell!"
Simons: "...but not that patient." *nukes NSF guy with plasma gun*

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I just thought about this today:

Was Ava Johnson in IW a play on how Jock and Black Helicopter merged into a single person during DX?

I never thought of that, although it would be awesome if there was a young woman who was fused to the cockpit. Or if it was a refurbished Black Helicopter and Jock was still inside...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

I never thought of that, although it would be awesome if there was a young woman who was fused to the cockpit. Or if it was a refurbished Black Helicopter and Jock was still inside...
Ava was an A.I. so essentially yes, she was fused to the cockpit. However, as much as I like Terri Brosius when her character isn't degrading or murdering me, taking her to Mako Ballistics made the mission enormously harder.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 10, 2024

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Shumagorath posted:

Ava was an A.I. so essentially yes, she was fused to the cockpit. However, as much as I like Teri Brosius when her character isn't degrading or murdering me, taking her to Mako Ballistics made the mission enormously harder.

Yeah, but Sid was a douche so I refused to give him any business on principle and then set him on fire the last time I saw him in Egypt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh hold on, do you have to pay Sid every time you want him to fly you somewhere? I haven't left seattle yet, I had assumed for some reason that the pilot I pick now is the pilot I'm using for the rest of the game.

And as long as we're talking about invisible war, are there any weapons/mods/augs that are considered essential or useless? Regeneration seems kind of underwhelming because even at the highest level it drains your bio energy pretty badly and food and medkits seem rather plentiful (and food is far more useful than it was in the first game, it seems). Is Health Leech any better?

I played this game years and years ago but I apparently don't remember any of it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Replaying Invisible War.

1) Performance is terrible on a brand new machine just built yesterday. It's not low FPS, more like lag whenever I look around- like it has to struggle extra hard to remember what that wall looks like half a pixel to the left of the screen.
2) There are passive augs but they don't automatically filter those down for the F1-6 hotkeys- so I've got F3 and F5 for my hacking and strength augs that are activated automatically, but poor speed aug's all the over at F6.
3) The multitools that are randomly separate items/stacks from other multitools for no reason, like they used to be lockpicks and had the guts replaced but not the item name/class or something. Most annoying thing in the game imo.
4) NG Resonance is still the single best character/writing in the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Ava was an A.I. so essentially yes, she was fused to the cockpit. However, as much as I like Teri Brosius when her character isn't degrading or murdering me, taking her to Mako Ballistics made the mission enormously harder.

Honestly, not that much. I know Sid just drops you on the roof but Ava's drop point makes the mission longer and more fun.

Also god drat it, I need more biomod canisters so I can get leg augs. I'm enjoy being a tonfa-wielding enhanced strength badass.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

3) The multitools that are randomly separate items/stacks from other multitools for no reason, like they used to be lockpicks and had the guts replaced but not the item name/class or something. Most annoying thing in the game imo.

Yeah, that's stupid/maybe bugged. I attempted to pick up a multi-tool and got the "inventory full" message. So I checked my inventory and discovered that I had four (4!) multitools in my possession, which seemed like an odd number to max out at. So I dropped some useless item and started a second stack and it went up to six for some reason. Then the other stack went above four as well. I kind of stopped keeping track of the numbers after that but the point is it's stupid, I wish multitools didn't have to occupy an item slot that could be used for weapons and healing, it should be an invisible slot like weapon mods or aug canisters.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh hold on, do you have to pay Sid every time you want him to fly you somewhere? I haven't left seattle yet, I had assumed for some reason that the pilot I pick now is the pilot I'm using for the rest of the game.

My memory of it is a bit rusty but I think you had to pay him each time. In any case after he screwed me over with the sunfire missiles he got on my "murder every playthrough" list.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Replaying Invisible War.

1) Performance is terrible on a brand new machine just built yesterday. It's not low FPS, more like lag whenever I look around- like it has to struggle extra hard to remember what that wall looks like half a pixel to the left of the screen.
2) There are passive augs but they don't automatically filter those down for the F1-6 hotkeys- so I've got F3 and F5 for my hacking and strength augs that are activated automatically, but poor speed aug's all the over at F6.
4) NG Resonance is still the single best character/writing in the game.

5) The levels are indescribably tiny, which nowadays is hilarious as I could load four copies of the whole game into memory.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that's stupid/maybe bugged.
There are two "types" of multitools. They look the same, weigh the same, function the same, have the same descriptions, but won't stack with each other. The stack limit for "identical" multitools is 20.

Invisible War, ladies and gentlemen.

Also, can one of the people playing IW now murder NG Resonance in the Arcology and post a video of the holograms response when you inform her of this?

Edit:

quote:

My memory of it is a bit rusty but I think you had to pay him each time. In any case after he screwed me over with the sunfire missiles he got on my "murder every playthrough" list.
I never took him up on that offer (because I like making those guys kill each other). What happens?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 26, 2010

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Edit:
I never took him up on that offer (because I like making those guys kill each other). What happens?

He takes your money then when you're on the island he flies off, doesn't use his missiles and sends you a message saying "hey, I'm screwing you over because you're probably dead anyway".

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Eh, IW's level sizes don't really get to me. I've played games with smaller, and the load times aren't terrible. Obviously it could be better but it's not an issue that's really bothering me- and it's not as bad as in Thief 3 at least, which while having slightly bigger areas also had those load areas noted by big swirling blue fog fields like you weren't stepping from one side of a house to the other, but across dimensions.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

Also, can one of the people playing IW now murder NG Resonance in the Arcology and post a video of the holograms response when you inform her of this?

Seconding this, if anyone has IW still installed, can you inform the holo-NG that you just killed the real her? I slammed though IW once and uninstalled, can't be arsed to do it again.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Gynovore posted:

Seconding this, if anyone has IW still installed, can you inform the holo-NG that you just killed the real her? I slammed though IW once and uninstalled, can't be arsed to do it again.

I don't have any save games around there, but I do know how to dump conversation text. :)

This is where she first tells you about the concert:
NG Resonance: Hi. I'm NG Resonance. Hurry! Come to my concert near the Pequod's coffeeshop!
- or - NG Resonance (knows Alex): Hi, Alex! Hurry! Come to my concert near the Pequod's coffeeshop!
Alex Denton: Concert...?
NG Resonance: Yes! I'm playing RIGHT NOW.
Alex Denton: That's impossible. The arcology's been seized by Templar paladins.
NG Resonance: No one informed me of a cancellation. I arrived at Flight Bay 23 just fourteen hours ago.
Alex Denton: Then you're probably trapped up on Level 110 -- or dead.

( Mission recieved - NG Resonance: Trapped? Resonance might be trapped on Level 110. Check to make sure that she's okay. )

1 )So you go and check up on her... and lo' and behold, she's an annoying bitch:
NG Resonance (real): Wait a minute -- you aren't my pilot.
Alex Denton: Do I look like him / her?
NG Resonance (real): I have five pilots, and you aren't any of them. This is just PERFECT.
Alex Denton: Had any trouble with the Templars?
NG Resonance (real): Trouble? TROUBLE? Not at all -- unless you count canceling a major concert, getting trapped in a war zone, and practically starving to death without even a number to call for room service.
Alex Denton: Maybe I can help get you out of here.
NG Resonance (real): Oh, sure. I'll wait for my own people, thanks. I don't want to get myself SHOT.

Here's her "barks", aka replies after the convo is done:
NG Resonance (real): I said, "Take my things to the VIP lounge" -- and they stick me down here.
NG Resonance (real): I think this is just an old storeroom they tried to fix up.
NG Resonance (real): I went up to see what was going on, and all the guards were just standing around. I mean, really.
NG Resonance (real): Right before getting me into this mess, the record company fired my manager. Pretty stupid, huh?
NG Resonance (real): I show up, and my manager isn't even here. With my luck, she's dead and I'll have to wait around for a replacement.
NG Resonance (real): Hey, back off.
NG Resonance (real): I don't know you, so leave me alone.
NG Resonance (real): I'm gonna scream...
NG Resonance (real): I bet you don't even have an arcology pass.
NG Resonance (real): This is harassment.
NG Resonance (real): My lawyer knows how to prosecute pushy fanboys / fangirls.

Here you get to shoot her if you want to.

--------------------------------

2a )Here are some possible replies to NG (the AI) once you've assessed the situation:
Alex Denton: That's right, you arrived and you're still there. I saw you myself -- the real NG Resonance.
- or - Alex Denton: That's right, you arrived and you're still there. I saw you myself -- the real NG Resonance. Trust me, you're not in any shape for a concert.
- or - Alex Denton (kills her): That's right, you arrived and you're still there. I saw you myself -- the real NG Resonance -- and now you're dead. In real life, you're a spoiled brat the world can do without.
- or - Alex Denton (KOs her): That's right, you arrived and you're still there. I saw you myself -- the real NG Resonance -- then I took a shot at knocking you off your pedestal. In real life, you're a spoiled brat. Did you know that?
NG Resonance: It's official -- no NG Resonance concert.

2b )And if you don't check:
NG Resonance: No one informed me of such an occurrence. You should assume that the concert started on schedule. Hurry! Tickets are 200 credits at the door.
- or, if you've helped her out earlier -
NG Resonance: No one informed me of such an occurrence. You should assume that the concert started on schedule. Hurry! Don't forget -- you're on the guest list from when you helped me out in Upper Seattle.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 26, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Some of those are flipped around. The pedestal one is what you get if you just KO her and stuff her in her footlocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

Has deusex.mp3 been posted yet

listen to it every day