Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading something years ago about Raven having a bisexual relationship with Stevie Richards at some point, and possibly with other male wrestlers. Does any of that have any backing in reality or was I just reading it off some Rajah-esque site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All I can picture when I read that is Dixie Carter writing Raven-Richards gay fanfic

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

Well that must be all of them because were getting repeats already...
Baron Von Raschke, Ludwig Borga, Ivan Koloff.

Dragging Iron Feet fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 23, 2010

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember reading something years ago about Raven having a bisexual relationship with Stevie Richards at some point, and possibly with other male wrestlers. Does any of that have any backing in reality or was I just reading it off some Rajah-esque site?

Nah, pretty much bullshit. I imagine rumors got started because Raven was paying Stevie to run errands and stuff for him in ECW (because Raven was too drunk and high to get anything done), but I've never heard them from anyone who wasn't a terrible smark wrestling "journalist."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Baron Von Raschke, Ludwig Borga, Ivan Koloff.

Ludvig Borga was Finnish and was billed as being from Finland.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

This is kind of an obscure example, but Phil Hickerson was repackaged in one of the territories as P.Y. Chu-Hi, an evil Viet Cong soldier, and it got over.

Also one could argue that Col. DeBeers was sort of an ethnic gimmick.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

KungFu Grip posted:

Well his gimmick is full blown Italian, but not Canadian-Italian. Same can be said for Roddy Piper.

Either way, he's definitely not Russian.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Ludvig Borga was Finnish and was billed as being from Finland.

he was a member of the Finnish parliament, no less.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well, wasn't Crash Holly supposedly also gay? And didn't he die while at Stevie Richards' house? Not saying any of the rumors are true, but they do seem to line up.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Has anyone used TEW2010? Is it any good? I like wrestling sims, but there always seemed to be enough broken in each TEW for me to stop bothering to play after a few months with each one.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

reality_groove posted:

Has anyone used TEW2010? Is it any good? I like wrestling sims, but there always seemed to be enough broken in each TEW for me to stop bothering to play after a few months with each one.

TEW10 is awesome, and really the best wrestling sim ever made in that line of games. So yes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lamuella posted:

he was a member of the Finnish parliament, no less.

and he killed himself but he was a racist gently caress.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

How many foreigners have been in WWE that have not had a whole character built around their ethnicity (or a more recognisable ethnicity that they might pass for)?

Because Drew McIntyre and Kofi (V2.0) are the only ones I can think of right now.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

George Kaplan posted:

How many foreigners have been in WWE that have not had a whole character built around their ethnicity (or a more recognisable ethnicity that they might pass for)?

Because Drew McIntyre and Kofi (V2.0) are the only ones I can think of right now.

are you loving stupid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Did Shannon Moore fail a pot test or piss someone off in the locker room or something during his time on WWE's ECW brand? Because I can't imagine his time there was anything other than punishment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

Define "built around their ethnicity."

Because Sheamus's thing is being a strong Irish warrior and all that jazz, but he isn't just a stereotype.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DannoMack posted:

Did Shannon Moore fail a pot test or piss someone off in the locker room or something during his time on WWE's ECW brand? Because I can't imagine his time there was anything other than punishment.

He and Yang ended up getting over pretty good as a tag team primarily against Miz and Morrison (I forget if they were on Smackdown or ECW at this point). Then Yang failed a wellness test, reportedly for extacy of all things, and Moore ended up released soon after.

Moore's initial ECW push fizzled when fans were riding him at an ECW house show and he got on the mic and said he wasn't wrestling for the internet. That immediately led to a bizarre promo on ECW where he said "I'm the prince of Punk, and I'm bringing sexy back." Then Punk called him a poser and slapped him, then beat him in matches repeatedly. Moore is in the Hardy fucktard stable, along with Helms and the Hardy brothers who wind up getting themselves in trouble by running their mouths or just acting like backwoods morons.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Nah, pretty much bullshit. I imagine rumors got started because Raven was paying Stevie to run errands and stuff for him in ECW (because Raven was too drunk and high to get anything done), but I've never heard them from anyone who wasn't a terrible smark wrestling "journalist."

To be fair though Raven did have a threesome with Sandman. That'd probably be enough to turn anyone straight afterwards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uncle Ulty posted:

Well, wasn't Crash Holly supposedly also gay? And didn't he die while at Stevie Richards' house? Not saying any of the rumors are true, but they do seem to line up.

He died at a dude's house (in his own vomit) because he's gay, you see

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He died at a dude's house (in his own vomit) because he's gay, you see

Are you sure it was "his" vomit? You can't really dust for vomit.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Grant DaNasty posted:

Are you sure it was "his" vomit? You can't really dust for vomit.

If you choke on it, you can easily.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crash iirc became heavy into alcohol and basically drank himself to death :(

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Moore's initial ECW push fizzled when fans were riding him at an ECW house show and he got on the mic and said he wasn't wrestling for the internet. That immediately led to a bizarre promo on ECW where he said "I'm the prince of Punk, and I'm bringing sexy back." Then Punk called him a poser and slapped him, then beat him in matches repeatedly.

It didn't fizzle, Moore was outright punished for his fit at the house show. It convinced people that he was unprofessional and immature so the punished him by making him do a promo that killed any momentum and bumping him back to the bottom of the card.

CombineThresher posted:

This is kind of an obscure example, but Phil Hickerson was repackaged in one of the territories as P.Y. Chu-Hi, an evil Viet Cong soldier, and it got over.

Also one could argue that Col. DeBeers was sort of an ethnic gimmick.

From what I've read, it wasn't a Viet Cong gimmick. It was an Akeem-style repackaging where they pretended Hickerson had learned martial arts.

DeBeers is an ethnic gimmick that fits the question, he was a South African white supremacist portrayed by a schoolteacher from Minnesota.

Endorph posted:

Define "built around their ethnicity."

Because Sheamus's thing is being a strong Irish warrior and all that jazz, but he isn't just a stereotype.

Sheamus is borderline. Finlay, however, is a complete stereotype.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

Sheamus is borderline. Finlay, however, is a complete stereotype.
Good because I didn't mention Finlay?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

sportsgenius86 posted:

If he's not wrestling in it, I would agree with you. Otherwise, here comes the shovel!
OK, this phrase has been popping up a lot lately, so I've got to ask: Is this a new WH2K in-joke or a resurrected one?

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
hcts came from a fan posting on the wwe universe page about the impending return of hhh to obliterate the nxtecutioners around summerslam time.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's the origin of the "kicked his leg out of his leg" meme?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beeswax posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_gvPXeIV1c

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Beeswax posted:

preemptively asking 18 months from now the origin of if you're gonna win make it a win meme

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

George Kaplan posted:

are you counting Canadians as foreigners? If so, the answer is "loving hundreds"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

are you counting Canadians as foreigners? If so, the answer is "loving hundreds"

I'm don't think WWE hasn't had a hundred Canadian wrestlers much less "hundreds"

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
What should I get Bobby Heenan to sign next month? I'm thinking of printing off a picture of ham and eggs.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

American Clamdigger posted:

What should I get Bobby Heenan to sign next month? I'm thinking of printing off a picture of ham and eggs.
Have your jawbone surgically removed and have him sign that.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Considering they're a bunch of obnoxious cocks who ALWAYS cheer the heels, why do the ROH fans HATE Chris Hero so much? He draws the most heat in ROH at the moment.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know, but I hate him a lot less now that he stopped dressing like Mike Quackenbush in the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Considering they're a bunch of obnoxious cocks who ALWAYS cheer the heels, why do the ROH fans HATE Chris Hero so much? He draws the most heat in ROH at the moment.

What? ROH crowds cheer the gently caress out of Hero. To the point where most people wonder why they bother try to keep him as a heel most of the time. The only time he really gets booed is on TV where the kids boo the heels.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Very good point. But it seems now they're willing to not make people into racial stereotypes - the Sheamus/Finlay comparison being about the best example. Piper/Drew is another - Drew is still Scottish, but he's not the loving Highlanders (although I did quite like the Highlanders).

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

What? ROH crowds cheer the gently caress out of Hero. To the point where most people wonder why they bother try to keep him as a heel most of the time. The only time he really gets booed is on TV where the kids boo the heels.

The first ROH show I've watched in a while was DBD this past weekend. They loving HATED him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The first ROH show I've watched in a while was DBD this past weekend. They loving HATED him.

I remember hearing dueling chants for and against Hero on that show.

But to be more specific, I shouldn't say everyone give him face reactions, but at the average ROH show he gets 40% of the crowd chanting gently caress YOU HERO and 60% chanting LETS GO HERO or KINGS OF WRESTLING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The crowd being 70-30 for Hero is basically the result of a million different solutions being attempted over the course of 4 years.