Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

TCD posted:

I tried to get on SA for 4 hours tonight. That's how awesome our internet is here in Rwanda.

On the plus side, I escaped the country for 2 weeks to Egypt for work/vacation. loving amazing.

Panel met today for the Omnibus skill code conversion program. I'm #1 on the register :smug:

IMTS/R to IMS engage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Workin' on tweaking my resume with your suggestions right now, will have it to you by the end of the week. Echoing abovementioned props!

Also gently caress that goon resume help service, what a waste of money. :negative:

Out of curiosity, which service did you use?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boondock Saint posted:

Out of curiosity, which service did you use?

Parahexawhatchamacallit. It would be okay if you're terrible at writing/the English language, but I could have taken the time we spent on it, looked up resume writing guides online for free, and saved myself like $150.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
TCD - I heard (from someone in Rwanda) that Rwanda's internet access was on par with Somalia's - that is warlords owning the telecoms. Probably nowhere as cheap as Somalia's, but Confirm/Deny?

Edit: Pompous Rhombus, holy scheisse! you spent $150 on that? It couldn't have taken him more than ten minutes to type that! I think I know who you're talking about, he was that really wire-thin goon who was twirling a stick in some video, wasn't he? I know I sent you my resume as an example, but feel free to use it as a template... I mean drat. 150?

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 23, 2010

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Skandiaavity posted:

TCD - I heard (from someone in Rwanda) that Rwanda's internet access was on par with Somalia's - that is warlords owning the telecoms. Probably nowhere as cheap as Somalia's, but Confirm/Deny?

Edit: Pompous Rhombus, holy scheisse! you spent $150 on that? It couldn't have taken him more than ten minutes to type that! I think I know who you're talking about, he was that really wire-thin goon who was twirling a stick in some video, wasn't he? I know I sent you my resume as an example, but feel free to use it as a template... I mean drat. 150?

I'm sure many of us would like an example/template of a good resume. I'm in the process of rewriting mine and I could use all the help I can get.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Skandiaavity posted:

It was an hourly rate, which we agreed upon in advance. (Most of that time was wasted with him asking me stuff about myself.) I wasn't happy with it at the end but we hadn't worked out any kind of agreement on what to do if I didn't like it, so it seemed kind of unfair/arbitrary to just say "nah bro don't like it, not gonna pay you". He did work those hours, I was on IM with him pretty much the whole time while we were working on it. On the other hand, he didn't offer me any kind of compensation or reduction in price, which seemed kind of unfair. In the end I chalked it up to a learning experience and wrote it off rather than poo poo on his thread or start drama refusing to pony up. Obviously I wasn't happy about it, but I find the best thing to do in those sort of situations is take the lesson learned and move on with my life.

If you want to hear about me getting ripped off, I wasted $400 (not including days taken off of work) getting together an application to study in China, only to have the Chinese embassy never forward it to Beijing and decide tell me about it a month and a half later. They claimed it got there after the deadline, I showed them scanned delivery confirmation indicating the contrary and they just wrung their hands and said "So sorry, apply again next year!" :downs:

Life's been a bit lovely lately.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Skandiaavity posted:

Hmmm. My home, personal, internet that I pay for, is via a company that used to be ran by the government which has now been spun off. Other people use African regional companies that have presences in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa etc such as MTN.

So, my personal experience has been that most available telecoms are multinational corporations. Personal internet is around $100 for 256K DSL which I average 128K and doesn't work around 1-2 hours a day average. Other people pay $180 for 128K wireless.

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

TCD posted:

I tried to get on SA for 4 hours tonight. That's how awesome our internet is here in Rwanda.

There's a very good chance I will be in Rwanda for most of January. Kigali goon meet?

On an altogether different topic, what do you DoS folks know of USAID? Is there much interaction between USAID FS and the DoS foreign service personnel?

xanthig fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 23, 2010

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm sure many of us would like an example/template of a good resume. I'm in the process of rewriting mine and I could use all the help I can get.

I know I would; I plan to apply to this listing when it reopens in the fall, or so a poster in SH/SC would have me believe. We talked via e-mail and the job sounded worlds better than my current job.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I will post mine for you guys. I used a goon service that I was relatively unhappy with; it's not meant for professionals, but rather college kids.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I used a goon service as well, for the most part I'm satisfied with the result I was given. From everyone I've shown, I haven't heard many complaints. So for 50 bucks, I can't complain.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Pompous Rhombus, In your case, I'd ask him to design it up a little bit before paying him, since there's plenty of word templates or sample resumes out there.

Closer to Boondock Saints, I wouldn't mind paying $50 for the resume. There's otherwise nothing wrong with your content Pompous, just the way it's laid out.

I'll post a watered-down version of my resume as well.. it's sort of a mix between professional and college-y.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Hey anybody know anything about The Hague? I might be IPO there next.

Montreal then Netherlands? Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Anybody who tells you that you need to go somewhere lovely is a sucka. You need to go to a 15% differential post to reset your fair share counter but that's it. Living the good life owns. Going to great posts owns.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

I applied to take the FSOT in June, but then just before I was supposed to take it I realized there was no possible way it could work after the Gaza flotilla raid. I canceled the test date after seeing State dept people parading on television making rather watered down statements that you could tell they werent really behind. I dont think I could really handle that.

So, to the Statey type folks here, I was curious, just how much freedom do you guys have? I know they check up on your ideological feelings when you join, but after that do they go out of their ways to enforce conformity?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

skindepth posted:

I applied to take the FSOT in June, but then just before I was supposed to take it I realized there was no possible way it could work after the Gaza flotilla raid. I canceled the test date after seeing State dept people parading on television making rather watered down statements that you could tell they werent really behind. I dont think I could really handle that.

So, to the Statey type folks here, I was curious, just how much freedom do you guys have? I know they check up on your ideological feelings when you join, but after that do they go out of their ways to enforce conformity?

This isn't the military. You are limited in your public statements, as in you can't say "Hi I'm skindepth with the US department of state. The US government is corrupt as hell and Israel is a terrorist state, thank you god bless" .

But your private life is your own. I'm angry about that flotilla thing as well and I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it if a coworker engaged me conversationally. Most of my coworkers are extremely liberal though so I think it would just be an echo chamber for the most part.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Vilerat-

That's interesting, I would have thought the bent in the state dept would be much more conservative. What I guess really freaked me out and kept me from applying was, well, for one, seeing that US foreign policy was nigh impossible to change (EX cuban embargo, Gaza blockade) but also thinking of ending up like poor unfortunate Colin Powell at the UN or something, I dont think I could live with that. Have you ever been in that sort of situation?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

skindepth posted:

Vilerat-

That's interesting, I would have thought the bent in the state dept would be much more conservative. What I guess really freaked me out and kept me from applying was, well, for one, seeing that US foreign policy was nigh impossible to change (EX cuban embargo, Gaza blockade) but also thinking of ending up like poor unfortunate Colin Powell at the UN or something, I dont think I could live with that. Have you ever been in that sort of situation?

I'm not in a political position so I can't really answer that. I don't think career State Dept. are really ever in a position to be in that situation to be honest. You're more of a social technician than a setter of policy.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Woot, just made some money tutoring a DC group on the FSOA group exercise.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Vilerat posted:

Anybody who tells you that you need to go somewhere lovely is a sucka. You need to go to a 15% differential post to reset your fair share counter but that's it. Living the good life owns. Going to great posts owns.

From what I've heard it's nice and cozy but lags a bit culturally compared to other Western European cities. But Amsterdam is right near by so maybe that makes up for it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

skindepth posted:

Vilerat-

Historically State is known for being liberal, the intelligence community as conservative. Obviously those are generalizations though.

Skandiaavity posted:

Pompous Rhombus, In your case, I'd ask him to design it up a little bit before paying him, since there's plenty of word templates or sample resumes out there.

Closer to Boondock Saints, I wouldn't mind paying $50 for the resume. There's otherwise nothing wrong with your content Pompous, just the way it's laid out.

I think we kinda hit the ceiling of what he could do, I think at the time he was the only one offering the service (otherwise I would have been all over that $50 one).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
SIGH.

My loving security clearance had to get reopened after the final report, apparently the case managers want more info. Now they want academic references, and to talk to my dean.

WTF. Even the investigator who did my interview and all of the local interviews doesn't understand why this is happening.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SWATJester posted:

SIGH.

My loving security clearance had to get reopened after the final report, apparently the case managers want more info. Now they want academic references, and to talk to my dean.

WTF. Even the investigator who did my interview and all of the local interviews doesn't understand why this is happening.

drat, and don't you already have one, or at least have had one previously from the military?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

My orientation IMer called The Hague "The Hell". Repeatedly.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

xanthig posted:

There's a very good chance I will be in Rwanda for most of January. Kigali goon meet?

On an altogether different topic, what do you DoS folks know of USAID? Is there much interaction between USAID FS and the DoS foreign service personnel?

Sure, if I'm around. What are you doing in Rwanda?

Edit: Gah posts. lovely internet :argh:!!!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SWATJester posted:

SIGH.

Maybe they will say you are overqualified with your J.D.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
swatjester: lol welcome to security clearances*

*=can not comment on my own because i'm going through something similar. If we meet again in person i'll have to explain to you sometime!

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
HOW DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE IN WASHINGTON D.C. JESUS CHRIST IM MELTING

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Pompous Rhombus posted:

drat, and don't you already have one, or at least have had one previously from the military?

Nope. Interim Secret. I was just a lowly infantryman, we don't get cool poo poo like that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Business of Ferrets posted:

Maybe they will say you are overqualified with your J.D.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Gah. No jobs. Die alone.

Homie S posted:

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE IN WASHINGTON D.C. JESUS CHRIST IM MELTING

I only leave my apartment before 6pm either to get a smoothie from the smoothie store downstairs, or for very short bursts.

Thank god I don't live in south florida anymore, it is even worse down there.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

xanthig posted:

I wanted to get a job in Kigali doing NGO work but haven't really found any opportunities. I reached out to TCD for help but he got busy so instead I'm working another election cycle.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SWATJester posted:

Nope. Interim Secret. I was just a lowly infantryman, we don't get cool poo poo like that.

Ah, I thought for the higher-level SERE stuff you'd need more of a clearance. I got a Secret for being an alternate for a DoS internship (really wish I'd been able to go), there wasn't much involved beyond the SF-86 and a two hour in-person interview. Can't wait to see what a TS/SCI is like! :suicide:

SWATJester posted:

Thank god I don't live in south florida anymore, it is even worse down there.

Live in Tampa, ride my bike to work :suicide:

(It's not so bad if you leave the house before sunrise, and change when you get there)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Well, the interview is painstaking (I'm sure we all remember that thread..) just hope you don't get a FS/LS- Polygraph. That one's hard.. (and where they catch you on any lies)

SWATJester: remember in coral gables when you walked outside and you walked to the end of your driveway and you had to change already? Miss it? Yeah, Me neither. But at least Miami has girls whom look great walking around little clothes as possible. I saw an at-least-250lb woman wearing presumably nothing but a tank top the other day on metro. Brought fond memories of an Eddie Murphy to my mind :smith: [edit: she had pants on, so at least I was spared]

Anyone up for another meet? Preferably at night when it's 70 degrees and not 90+humidity. I tinted my car's windows to 25% and it didn't even help...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Actually my TS interview was easy, it's all the other people that have to get contacted that are the annoying thing.

Also Skandiaavity: I was in Palm Beach so I was at least spared the fat cuban women.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
eeyaaaaa i lived in WPB for a stint. I was on [W?] 29th St, if I am remembering right. Was a nice area. Wayyyyy too many prostitutes about 3 blocks down, though.. made me wonder.

edit: i left when they were fixing up 95N/S. Not sure if I got out before the worst of it, but lol sitting in traffic stuck next to a crapload of exotic cars for 4 hours to get to Delray Beach. I think there was even an AAA van parked near Boca that just shuttled Gas to those in need

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The thing with getting a clearance or TS clearance check that scares me, is not what they ask me, but what they ask some of the people I know. Not that I've done anything stupid, but some of my family/friends I no longer talk to are a bit off. Please tell me most investigators are good enough that they know when they are being fed bullshit.

I'm on vacation right now in NC so the heat down here is making DC's seem bearable...slightly. I'm up for a meet in a few weeks, since I'm new to the area and would enjoy discovering new drinking establishments.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

TCD posted:

On the plus side, I escaped the country for 2 weeks to Egypt for work/vacation. loving amazing.

Not to bump from the last page, but where did you go in Egypt? I'm currently in Alexandria, and I would have loved to have hosted you for a day had I known you were in my neck of the woods or given you some travel pointers. Hope you had a good time!

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 25, 2010

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

TCD posted:

Sure, if I'm around. What are you doing in Rwanda?

Edit: Gah posts. lovely internet :argh:!!!

It's part of an MBA program I'm starting this fall. In order to imbue us students with a sense of reality with regards to doing business outside of the developed world, we're all being sent out to consult for businesses in developing countries. I just found out today that I won't know for certain if I'll be going to Rwanda until mid August, but there is very little competition for Rwanda, as opposed to Peru.

This all raises a question I have been mulling over. A flight from D.C. to Kigali is about $1800, while D.C. to Nairobi is $1200. This got me thinking, how reasonable would it be to fly to Nairobi and then spend a week making my way over-land to Kigali? My wife is convinced that this is the fast-track to her becoming a widow; I'm guessing it's on par with backpacking through Laos and Cambodia.

Edit: The program is being coordinated with USAID, which is why I asked about that organization earlier.

xanthig fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 25, 2010

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

xanthig posted:

This got me thinking, how reasonable would it be to fly to Nairobi and then spend a week making my way over-land to Kigali? My wife is convinced that this is the fast-track to her becoming a widow; I'm guessing it's on par with backpacking through Laos and Cambodia.

This is definitely one of the best post + avatar combinations I have seen in a while.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
well, the girl needs to be holding a Kalishknov and i suppose the oil well can be on fire.. but yes.

Xanthig, I wouldn't do that if I were you. I mean hell, you going through Uganda, Tanzania? Don't go through Lake Victoria or you'll get hands-on education with Hippos, and those will be a few of the nicer things you'll encounter. I gotta admit, though, taking it south to the Serengeti does look interesting. maybe you can buy a truck for a few hundred bucks

TBQH if you're that serious about it you're much better off chartering a flight for $200-300 then parachuting over Rwanda.

vvv-- farewell and adieu, my fair ladies of spainboston?

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
What are the kinds of things you'll be forced to deal with in the Foreign Service?

"Make this useful"

Only registered members can see post attachments!