Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was a nice tribute to Frazetta.

Any chance you'll do a feature on the proposed memorial for E. Gary Gygax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

That was a nice tribute to Frazetta.

Any chance you'll do a feature on the proposed memorial for E. Gary Gygax?

Wait, like a public statue and memorial garden in his home town or something?

If it doesn't feature him wearing a Hawaiian shirt I will be very dissapointed.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.gygaxmemorialfund.com/

I think it's only planned to be a bust of his head, but you could become a major backer and fund the rest of his torso!

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
R.I.P. Frazetta :(

For as long as barbarians are considered totally awesome, you shall be remembered. (i.e.; forever)

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
This one was great, although I felt a little bit bad for laughing at "Frazetta dislikes stroke" (even though I guess it's technically true).

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish I had a van that was worthy of air brushed art.

I somehow feel the hood of a VW Beetle wouldn't cut it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/frazetta-vampirella-conan.php

This entry was a little bit of a stretch from your usual subject matter, but I frankly don't care- it was funny and surprisingly touching. That Frazetta is dead but Greg and Tim Hildebrandt live on makes these sad, sad days for fantasy artwork.

Tim Hildebrandt died a couple years ago.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

http://www.gygaxmemorialfund.com/

I think it's only planned to be a bust of his head, but you could become a major backer and fund the rest of his torso!

I'm just imagining taking a stroll through a Wisconsin park on a nice summer day, turning a corner, and BAM, there's Gygax in the same outfit he wore when he last gave a keynote speech at GenCon.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Chorocojo posted:

Tim Hildebrandt died a couple years ago.

Oh, well then. I suppose someone else has taken his place as the eminent painter of dull centaurs. Never mind.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just found out that Ronnie James Dio died. No more Frazetta; No more Dio. Whatever the opposite of Totally Sweet is, that's how I feel right now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Create dumb villains, the Marvel way.
If there really are three more of these books, are we looking at eight straight updates of one-shot Marvel villains for defunct heroes from the 60's that nobody really remembers? 'Cause I don't think I'd mind one bit. I think I actually recognize one or two of these guys, and I don't even read superhero comics.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I think a couple of these characters were in the old Fashion SWAT for comic books. I always did want to know if the Aquarian was single.

I also like that the anagram for the stats is FASERIP.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I sincerely look forward to more. That was hilarious. Maybe more relatable than the hardcore fantasy stuff, if not as insane. But the pictures are all gold.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I hope you do a review of Dr. Bong

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hey, looks like WTF, D&D made it onto the new banner topbar. Congratulations, guys.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mocking the Absorbing Man? Not cool. :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember hearing about Marvel villain the Aquarian before, but I can't remember where. I am 100% sure it was not in an actual comic.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember hearing about Marvel villain the Aquarian before, but I can't remember where. I am 100% sure it was not in an actual comic.

Wasn't he a hero, and didn't he get bitten in one of the Marvel Zombies series'?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Nucleic Acids posted:

Wasn't he a hero, and didn't he get bitten in one of the Marvel Zombies series'?

Yes, and yes.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe here? http://www.somethingawful.com/d/fashion-swat/comic-swat.php

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Marvel Monster Manual Volume One (Part 2) is up.

Hilarious, as always. Oh man Battlestar is bumming me out. It says he's illiterate.

Was Armless Tiger Man ever on the table? Is he in the book?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Wait, the black Bucky is illiterate? What the hell, Marvel?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Super Queen Mommy made me laugh so hard I horked milk out of my nipples.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Pretty solid WTF, but it got me to check out the "Barrier Peaks" entry again. Holy poo poo, you guys need to do that kind of thing some more.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I agree that Barrier Peaks was the funniest. Seeing Steve and Zach (kinda) play through a module is the most fun.

The other updates still have me laughing my rear end off though.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Steve: They said he was born in Moscow.

Zack: Nooooo!

This cracked me up because it's usually Steve who goes nooooooooo!

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
Was the boomerang-themed Australian supervillain really such a compelling concept that both Marvel and DC had to have one?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The Seventies saw a push toward greater use of international characters. However, this was not accompanied by a greater knowledge of foreign countries; without Crocodile Dundee to go by comic makers only had the one thing, so they ran with it.

Of course, even if your country did have a well-known national character, you'd still get a clod like Captain Britain.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Dr. Druid has Remarkable control over his own body functions.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
I hope you guys do these for a long time, there's still plenty of great stuff out there and you could always come back to like Rifts or whatever. I kinda want to see Temple of Elemental Evil just because you mentioned it as being most requested along with two you've already done.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Wait, wait, wait. I know Champion. He was a big villain in a multi-hero crossover or something. He showed up and challenged a bunch of Marvel guys to a boxing match for the fate of their planet. Obviously, he beat up pretty much all of them, proving how awesome and unbeatable and totally strong he is. It's actually a semi-well-known story. At least I know about it and I barely read comics at all.

Well, okay, I mostly know it because Dexter's Lab did a parody on that whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS7hEnDLNJw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope you guys can do one of the newer DnD books themed around specific categories of monsters, like Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead or Draconomicon. Actually, I really want to see Lords of Madness, since those have the weirdest monsters. Also, there was this book about half-breed creatures, fantastically titled Bastard Bloodlines, but I can't find any info on it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Yay, White Plume Mountain! All hail the Inverted Ziggurat Aquarium of Death! :neckbeard:

You guys totally forgot to mention that you fight the giant crab inside a magical air bubble surrounded by superheated boiling water. Also the encounter with the vampire in the bullshit magical darkness room. We'll see what the author has to say about this
:goonsay:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Any article involving animated skeletons is an article worth reading. Great job, you nerdy jerks!

Riff
Oct 2, 2005

Loved this one, please do more where you play the game!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I'm only halfway through this one and already I think it might be the funniest yet.

"Fire! My least favorite thing to be on!"

I'd love watching a video version of this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So did the troglodites just live in the room with the orbs? Shouldn't they have had, like, a place to store food or something?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This update was awesome, but I have no idea what the answer to that riddle is and it's driving me crazy.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

This update was awesome, but I have no idea what the answer to that riddle is and it's driving me crazy.

Having never seen this module before, I am guessing "the moon" is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwarzwald posted:

So did the troglodites just live in the room with the orbs? Shouldn't they have had, like, a place to store food or something?

That's one of the quirks of AD&D.

Monster ecology and the structure of their societies didn't matter until 2nd edition. Monsters existed solely to kill or be killed back in Gary's day. :911:

• Locked thread