Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
All right, I bought the Tex Murphy games and decided to play them in order. I start up Mean Streets, get in the car, and the help tells me that I need to use + in order to go forward. My laptop computer has + as a shift of =, and the game won't recognize it for whatever reason. The minus key works fine for going in reverse, but it makes in impossible to get anywhere.

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Panzer General 2 is now available for $9.99

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

kuddles posted:

Hell, it's worth it alone for the fact that you get the awesome soundtrack in MP3 form.

The composer released the mp3s freely some time ago: http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I'm in the mood I think, for one of the UFO games. Which one is the best and doesn't take a lot to get into?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Original_Z posted:

All right, I bought the Tex Murphy games and decided to play them in order. I start up Mean Streets, get in the car, and the help tells me that I need to use + in order to go forward. My laptop computer has + as a shift of =, and the game won't recognize it for whatever reason. The minus key works fine for going in reverse, but it makes in impossible to get anywhere.

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Hahha, I did the same thing, and just skipped it. I didn't know the game was a dos era 16 color flight sim. I skipped those and decided to start with the cd one.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

AxeManiac posted:

Hahha, I did the same thing, and just skipped it. I didn't know the game was a dos era 16 color flight sim. I skipped those and decided to start with the cd one.

It's not actually, although it's pretty badly explained. You never actually have to fly, you just need to enter a set of coordinate in the autopilot to get somewhere. Incidentally, you better have pen and paper ready to keep track of what coordinates lead to what destination. The whole system is poorly thought-out and overall a pain in the rear end, but you get used to it after a while.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Serious Michael posted:

I'm in the mood I think, for one of the UFO games. Which one is the best and doesn't take a lot to get into?

Whoa, that's a loaded question. None of them are actually all that easy to get into, unless you're going back to the games that aren't really X-com games.

I'd try the original game if you want the "best" one though, because Terror From the Deep has a horrid difficulty curve and Apocalypse is really difficult to get into.

If you wanna try the new "ufo" titles, I'm not entirely sure. The most memorable one to me was Aftershock, even though it is very unlike the original games.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Jesus Christ, you guys weren't kidding about the first dungeon of Divine Divinity being bullshit. I started a Mage, and was having some fun with it. Was trying to ration out my potions and such since I didn't even have enough gold to get healed. Got near the end of the first level, and I had to look up a FAQ because I missed a lever that was blending into the wall. Then I saw that the dungeon was FIVE LEVELS. I just got onto the second. :suicide:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, Panzer General II is up, how does it compare with the older 5-star Generals?

I wonder if it means anything that GOG has created the forum for Panzer General II as "Panzer General Series." This is separate from the "Panzer Elite" forum (which probably has no relation anyway). Could other PG games be on the horizon, perhaps Panzer/Allied/People's/Fantasy/Star?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Spincut posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys weren't kidding about the first dungeon of Divine Divinity being bullshit. I started a Mage, and was having some fun with it. Was trying to ration out my potions and such since I didn't even have enough gold to get healed. Got near the end of the first level, and I had to look up a FAQ because I missed a lever that was blending into the wall. Then I saw that the dungeon was FIVE LEVELS. I just got onto the second. :suicide:

Yeah, early on it's tough.

Something helpful to conserve potions is to put a point into Alchemy as soon as you reach level 3, as that lets you combine red and blue ones which restore a fixed amount of health/mana into white ones which restore BOTH 50% of your maximum health AND mana. It also helps a lot if you've saved both of the sick soldiers because then Goemoe teaches you the Restoration healing spell.

After floor 2 of that dungeon, you shouldn't be hurting for cash for a while.

You'll also want to return to the surface and rest in the bed in Joram's basement to restore yourself occasionally.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You'll also want to return to the surface and rest in the bed in Joram's basement to restore yourself occasionally.

Aha, didn't know I could do this. Thanks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All I remember about the first dungeon is running around with a bow sniping every monster so I didn't have to use a potion.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I remember cheating, and then uncheating, and then saving, and then never going back ever ever ever ever ever ever.

Until now. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone with an ati card know how to set the mode so that games in low res don't fill up my widescreen but instead put black bars on the side?

Radeon 4890.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

doctorfrog posted:

So, Panzer General II is up, how does it compare with the older 5-star Generals?

I wonder if it means anything that GOG has created the forum for Panzer General II as "Panzer General Series." This is separate from the "Panzer Elite" forum (which probably has no relation anyway). Could other PG games be on the horizon, perhaps Panzer/Allied/People's/Fantasy/Star?

I used to play PG2 a lot back in the day, from what I remember it was a really good strategy game and has a lot of depth. One of the more memorable points is that if you do really good in the Axis campaign, you can actually end up launching an invasion on the American mainland.

I also really loved the Steel Panthers series as a kid! Who has the rights to those now?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Anyone with an ati card know how to set the mode so that games in low res don't fill up my widescreen but instead put black bars on the side?

Radeon 4890.

In your ATI Control Center :

• Locate the Desktop and Displays section
  • Right click on the monitor in the bottom section (the small one) and select Configure
  • You should be brought to the right page, check the Enable GPU scaling option
  • Select one of the three options, Maintain Aspect Ratio is what you're asking for.

There is a bug sometimes that will only show you the three options greyed out and it won't even represent what you really selected. One easy workaround is to lower your resolution to something other than your native LCD resolution, select and apply the setting you want and then go back to your normal resolution.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Worked perfectly, thank you so much.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Original_Z posted:

I used to play PG2 a lot back in the day, from what I remember it was a really good strategy game and has a lot of depth. One of the more memorable points is that if you do really good in the Axis campaign, you can actually end up launching an invasion on the American mainland.

I also really loved the Steel Panthers series as a kid! Who has the rights to those now?

I believe Steel Panthers is legit freeware:

Wikipedia posted:

The game mechanics are basically a streamlined version of the system used by Grigsby's late-80s series of three strategy games for the Commodore 64 and Apple II: Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel and Overrun!. The original Steel Panthers series includes the following titles:

* Steel Panthers (1995)
* Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles (1996)
* Steel Panthers III Brigade Command: 1939-1999 (1997)

Rights to the game and source code were later acquired by Matrix Games who developed and released as freeware an improved remake based on the Steel Panthers III engine (but limited to the timespan of World War II):

* Steel Panthers: World at War!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Freedom Force vs The Third Reich is now available for 5.99

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

drat GoG for making me buy games over and over again! :p

Is the original Freedom Force going to show up at some point too?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*sigh* These are the kind of unique PC games they just don't make anymore.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

al-azad posted:

*sigh* These are the kind of unique PC games they just don't make anymore.

To be fair, there's a reason they don't make them anymore. That game sold so poorly it nearly bankrupted Irrational.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kuddles posted:

To be fair, there's a reason they don't make them anymore. That game sold so poorly it nearly bankrupted Irrational.

There is no greater argument for why people are idiots than the sales numbers of something like Freedom Force or Deus Ex, compared to the sales numbers of Modern Warfare 2 relative to the number of gamers at large in their respective eras.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 24, 2010

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
It's just like...oh I don't know...EVERYTHING else in the world. The drooling majority will always command the market.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

kuddles posted:

Looking Glass and Irrational just had stupidly bad luck when it came to sales. All their games were original, unique, and critically acclaimed yet largely ignored until well after their release. It just baffles me how such a good developer didn't receive the credit they deserved until they were purchased and assimilated into a big publisher. I wonder if BioShock would have received any of the acclaim it did if they remained an independent developer.

lethial posted:

Is the original Freedom Force going to show up at some point too?

Not unless they score EA. Sierra/Activision published the sequel.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

al-azad posted:

Not unless they score EA. Sierra/Activision published the sequel.

It is, however, on Steam for $5. Doesn't come with GoG bonuses, of course, but it's there if you're interested. I think I got both games on Steam for $5 when they had the Christmas sale.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spincut posted:

It is, however, on Steam for $5. Doesn't come with GoG bonuses, of course, but it's there if you're interested. I think I got both games on Steam for $5 when they had the Christmas sale.

You can get both games on Steam for $8 as a package... but don't do that!

Mbwuto
Dec 1, 2006
Out of curiosity has anyone elses Arcanum saves become invisible? The files are still there, it just doesn't show them at the load screen. I was just about at the end too.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is anyone else having trouble playing Interstate '76? The games runs, but performance is an issue and objects don't seem to be doing what they are sometimes supposed to do. Maybe it's the fault of the engine.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

uncleKitchener posted:

Is anyone else having trouble playing Interstate '76? The games runs, but performance is an issue and objects don't seem to be doing what they are sometimes supposed to do. Maybe it's the fault of the engine.

Yeah, I think the games can only run as good as they did back in the day too, I recall that game being buggy.

Trying to play the first Gabriel Knight, the audio is REALLY scratchy, speeds up randomly and is very glitchy. I had to turn off the narrator voice, it was bugging me too much.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

Notice I mentioned buying the games multiple times :p I already have the hard copy, steam version and now the GoG version. Only if I could support devs that create great games more...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

al-azad posted:

Since the original is owned by "that one company who hates their fans and just sits around on old classics and laughs at them", I think the Freedom Force pack is an exception, unless my sarcasm detector is broken tonight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, I think the games can only run as good as they did back in the day too, I recall that game being buggy.

Trying to play the first Gabriel Knight, the audio is REALLY scratchy, speeds up randomly and is very glitchy. I had to turn off the narrator voice, it was bugging me too much.

TAIYMES PEEKAHYUUUNNN

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Lame, the narrator is the best part of that game. "Dat doesn't work dat way."

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

MrMidnight posted:

Lame, the narrator is the best part of that game. "Dat doesn't work dat way."

It's been a handful of years, but wasn't that Tim Curry doing a horrible creole accent?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

It's been a handful of years, but wasn't that Tim Curry doing a horrible creole accent?

No, it was a woman with a pretty authentic and thick Creole accent. I love it too.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Andrigaar posted:

The narrator was this old lady. Tim Curry voiced Gabriel though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wow, then it's been so long since I tried to play the game that I forgot anyone other than Tim Curry's Knight talking to himself constantly.

[looks as CDs on shelf]

Fuuuuuuuuu... I should go rig up DosBox.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 50% off the Syberia series if you're completing the collection or buying both. 30% off if you're just buying the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I feel dirty, I just spent more money today on Steam then I have the entire time at GOG. Well almost. Some drat good sales on steam right now.

I played Siberia, very good, logical games. I'm playing Gabriel Knight and can't seem to play them without using a walk-through. I'm not seeing the leaps in logic, makes me worried about the 3rd one when I have to start gluing cat hair to my face.