Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

molokidan posted:

#313 has cometh, my brothers.

http://fucoalitionscans.wordpress.com/

A delightful slice of life....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I laughed harder than I should have at "All the villagers are tentacles!"

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I love it when Guts is casually violent.

Why in God's name does Miura continue to have some weird sexual situation pop up?:psyduck: And who is placing bets on the girl being a hideous monstrosity?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Diabetic posted:

I love it when Guts is casually violent.

Guts always looks uncomfortable when he's not being violent. He was probably relieved to have something to kill.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha oh god Caska's fish face. :saddowns:

Diabetic posted:

And who is placing bets on the girl being a hideous monstrosity?
At this point you'd have to be a sucker to bet against it.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
You know it has been a long time between releases when you have to go back two chapters to remember whats going on. Then you realize that you never even read 311.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Diabetic posted:

Why in God's name does Miura continue to have some weird sexual situation pop up?:psyduck: And who is placing bets on the girl being a hideous monstrosity?

I'm getting a Roshinu/Rosine/whatever the Hell her proper name was vibe from the girl. That doesn't bode well.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm getting a Roshinu/Rosine/whatever the Hell her proper name was vibe from the girl. That doesn't bode well.

According to her story she's a mermaid? I'm not quite getting it, it's too long between releases for me to remember what the hell.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

According to her story she's a mermaid? I'm not quite getting it, it's too long between releases for me to remember what the hell.

Maybe you should go look back at the previous chapter then?

There is nothing more stupid and annoying then people going "bluh, I don't get ______, and I refuse to re-educate myself, because I'm lazy. *fart*" If you're going to do that, don't post!

Her mother is supposedly a kind of sea spirit or sea fairy (ie, an elemental thing like Puck, but related with the sea itself).

They explain this that chapter.

That's... all there is to it.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Reading a Berserk chapter was refreshing now, especially now that FMA is completely over. Reminds me I do still have another high quality manga to continue to look forward to reading.

A few times a loving year anyway.

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!
Somehow i missed that 312 came out so double feature tonight! :v:

Island girl with googly eyes made me laugh :3:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
drat I really like miura's drawings. Especially the detail of the shadow cast by gut's armor on his face from the fireplace.

I don't want mermaid girl to be a monster; she's so :3:.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yes! I haven't even begun to read the chapter but I already looked at the last page and there is no god-dammed "Berserk will return in a few months" notice.

Go Miura Go!

Edit: Nice watermark you fucks.

Edit2: well, that was pretty good. I don't think the mermaid girl will be some kind of threat. More like she will discover something really nasty about her mom when they inevitably check the caverns under the island

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 25, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

PieThief posted:

Somehow i missed that 312 came out so double feature tonight! :v:

Island girl with googly eyes made me laugh :3:

There was a 312? Huh? Last thing I remember was her making a funny glare...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

trucutru posted:

Edit2: well, that was pretty good. I don't think the mermaid girl will be some kind of threat. More like she will discover something really nasty about her mom when they inevitably check the caverns under the island

Maybe she'll join up with the guts party! Though that would setup some sort of love triangle thing which could be hilarious or just terrible.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Maybe she'll join up with the guts party! Though that would setup some sort of love triangle thing which could be hilarious or just terrible.

Maybe then she'll help the group get to Fishman Island! Ah wait, wrong series and wrong island :downs:

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Mango Polo posted:

Maybe then she'll help the group get to Fishman Island! Ah wait, wrong series and wrong island :downs:

If Guts and Co. spend any amount of time on any other islands reseting their Log Pose, every single person currently reading Berserk will be dead before the series finishes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't recall a date being set for the next one so I assume we have another six month wait ahead of us? I don't see one on the pages of this release like he usually does.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

trucutru posted:

gently caress yes! I haven't even begun to read the chapter but I already looked at the last page and there is no god-dammed "Berserk will return in a few months" notice.

Go Miura Go!

I'm gonna have to depress you. On the first 2 chapters back from a break, there's usually always a date for the next chapter.

The worrying thing is when there's no date or comment at all...and uh oh, there isn't anything on this chapter, unless the scanlation removed it!

Anyway if there are more chapters just now, it wont be more than 3. I think in the last 4 years there's only been like once or twice he released 4 chapters before a break and the rest of the time it's 2-3.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm gonna have to depress you. On the first 2 chapters back from a break, there's usually always a date for the next chapter.

The worrying thing is when there's no date or comment at all...and uh oh, there isn't anything on this chapter, unless the scanlation removed it!

No, when it goes on break there's always a space for it still on the page.

If I understand how Young Animal works, actually, no comment about date equates to it being in the next issue (it comes out twice a month, and Miura's stuff is usually in every other week when he's being "regular").

Or they edited out (entirely possible).

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah I know prior to a break there usually is still the next chapter box, but it says "See you next time" or an equivalent instead of a date.

Still though, for the last few years there has always been dates listed for the next chapters when there's been chapters due.

I admit though it's not like him to only release one chapter and then go onto insta break and honestly if he starts doing that it'll suggest the cancellaton of Berserk is near as hell.

I'll just hope that either it was edited out of the scanlation or it's just missing for some reason and Berserk will still appear next issue.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

Still though, for the last few years there has always been dates listed for the next chapters when there's been chapters due.

He does, but that's usually if it's skipping an issue. I can't recall him doing that when it's in the VERY next issue (again, twice monthly).

So this could just mean regular scheduling again :allears:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I come home to see there's 23 new posts in the Berserk thread and think to my self "Oho, another person has complained about the wait between chapters and made a bunch of other people-HOLY CRAP THERE'S ACTUALLY A NEW CHAPTER :woop:"

I also hope that the Mermaid-Girl doesn't turn out to be some sort of mini-apostle. The Ishidoro-Schierke-Mermaid-Girl interactions are delightful. And we have some insanely-detailed tentacle-violence to look forward too, as well.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Well now, that was very refreshing. It's good to see that we'll likely be getting into some heavy action soon.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

To be honest I would seriously prefer some major rear end plot development over action just now. It's cool seeing Guts swinging his sword through poo poo, but it'll end up being an entire chapter of double page spreads and we'll still be eternally 5 years away from them reaching Elf Island. :mad:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I just want him to hurry up and kill Dagon so Ilsa's mermaid family can just pop up and say "here's a shortcut to Elf Island for getting rid of him. He was a jerk. You'll be there next issue."

Then, main plot development involving Guts for once rather than the blue haired prissy princess that is Griffith.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Satanos posted:

Then, main plot development involving Guts for once rather than the blue haired prissy princess that is Griffith.

There is nothing prissy about piling up a mountain of corpses.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
guy: "welcome folks!"
guts: *throws blade into guy's eye*

so good.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I think these side excursions with the Guts crew just distracts the author from developing the main character, Griffith, and drags everything out. We get it, Guts is the main bad guy already.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

Coolio posted:

We get it, Guts is the main bad guy already.

They're going the "I am Legend" route where everyone in the new world is an apostle or a witch or a mermaid's daughter or something or other and Guts becomes the ultimate bad guy who goes around killing innocent fish people who only want to live out their meager fish people lives.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
Every step he takes there's someone new to kill.

And half of it seems so unnecessary...

So basically the author is using up his skills and time and possibly developing Carpal because he has to draw rape demons every other page.

...Should I only check on this thread every 5 years?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

nondeviant posted:

They're going the "I am Legend" route where everyone in the new world is an apostle or a witch or a mermaid's daughter or something or other and Guts becomes the ultimate bad guy who goes around killing innocent fish people who only want to live out their meager fish people lives.

Have there been any shows or comics where the main character is the antagonist? Aside from quirky videogames like Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, What Did I Do to Deserve This?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Have there been any shows or comics where the main character is the antagonist? Aside from quirky videogames like Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, What Did I Do to Deserve This?

That's... impossible, you do understand. The protagonist is literally by definition the principal character of a work. A protagonist doesn't need to be heroic or a good person. Conversely, an antagonist doesn't have to be a "bad guy"; it's just the character in opposition to the protagonist.

You could say that Light from Death Note is a "bad guy" in a sense, if you want an example. He's still definitely the protagonist, and the primary focus of character drama, but he's a nasty guy who's murdered a lot of people!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zorak posted:

That's... impossible, you do understand. The protagonist is literally by definition the principal character of a work. A protagonist doesn't need to be heroic or a good person. Conversely, an antagonist doesn't have to be a "bad guy"; it's just the character in opposition to the protagonist.

You could say that Light from Death Note is a "bad guy" in a sense, if you want an example. He's still definitely the protagonist, and the primary focus of character drama, but he's a nasty guy who's murdered a lot of people!

Oops I sorta farked that up but I think you know where Im going with it. Lights a good example, but Ive read that already. I guess i crossed wires with the whole protagonist/antagonist thing but Im looking for a character beyond the anti-hero.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 5, 2010

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Yeah, I think we are supposed to assume that Griffith is the ultimate villain, but he hasn't really done anything bad since the cemetery of swords. Instead, he was busy saving his future subjects from getting butchered in the war. It is also hard to see how he could do much evil as a king when he becomes officially crowned.

Sure, Griffith has been called the hawk of darkness (as well as of light) and there are all these prophecies, but he is too calculating to let his kingdom sink into anarchy or get wiped out by plagues. Especially after what he went through to obtain it.

He did unleash some unicorns and hydras into the world, but can those bring about a thousand years of darkness all on their own? I don't think so.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Oops I sorta farked that up but I think you know where Im going with it. Lights a good example, but Ive read that already. I guess i crossed wires with the whole protagonist/antagonist thing but Im looking for a character beyond the anti-hero.

I know, TvTropes and all, but here's a pretty good list:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainProtagonist

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

molokidan posted:

#313 has cometh, my brothers.

http://fucoalitionscans.wordpress.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJpTdtagBY

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
^^^ Good avatar combo.