Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Is the original Ghost in The Shell avaiable in blu-ray, and how does it look? There is a redux version, but sounds similar to what Lucas did with the original trilogy.

It exists, I have it. It comes with both the 2.0 and original versions on the disc. The remix version has some interesting things going for it but IMO the transfer they did for the unchanged one looks great and should be the preferred version for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beauty and the Beast special features:

code:
* ALL-NEW DIGITAL RESTORATION WITH ENHANCED HIGH DEFINITION PICTURE AND SOUND
* THREE VERSIONS OF THE FILM
      o Original Theatrical Release
      o Special Extended Edition
      o Original Storyboard Version
* NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN DELETED SCENE
* NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN ALTERNATE OPENING
* BEYOND BEAUTY
      o The Untold Stories Behind the Making of the Film
* ALL-NEW MUSIC VIDEO "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" PERFORMED BY JORDIN SPARKS
* BONJOUR, WHO IS THIS? (BD-Live)
      o Use your Phone, Receive Secret Messages, and Guess Other Players' Identities Before They Guess Yours!
* ENCHANTED MUSICAL CHALLENGE
      o Go on a Quest to break the Spell Before the Last Petal Falls!
* BROADWAY BEGINNINGS
      o Hear From Celebrities Who Have Appeared in the Hit Broadway Production
* COMPOSING A CLASSIC
      o A Musical Conversation with the Songwriters and Producer
* DISNEY SING ALONG MODE
* CLASSIC DVD BONUS FEATURES
      o The Story Behind the Story
      o Deleted Song "Human Again"
      o "Beauty and the Beast" Music Video Performed By Celine Dion
      o And Much More!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Beauty and the Beast special features:

I am so buying the gently caress out of this on release day.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zophar posted:

It exists, I have it. It comes with both the 2.0 and original versions on the disc. The remix version has some interesting things going for it but IMO the transfer they did for the unchanged one looks great and should be the preferred version for anyone.
Guess I know my next buy, play.com has it for like 10 euros

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I pretty much only bought Snow White because it's such an old movie and the behind the scenes extras were really fascinating. Beauty and the Beast doesn't have any of those things and I've never been too big a fan.

Also Aliens might end up being one of the graniest Blu Rays ever if Fox leaves it alone.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctor thodt posted:

How to Train Your Dragon pre-order is up at Amazon. No date is given yet, but it's priced pretty well at $18.99.

Up to $27.99 now. Hope OGB and I weren't the only ones who got in on this :cool:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Up to $27.99 now. Hope OGB and I weren't the only ones who got in on this :cool:

And to think, I was considering waiting until I got home. Luckily (?) my account was logged in here at work, and one-click later, sold.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

I figured "Wow, if it's $18.99 now, it'll be like 10 in a month!"

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Snagged the $18 price earlier today. Thanks for the tip!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dirty Harry Collection is about $26 shipped from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirty-Harry-Collection-Blu-ray-Eastwood/dp/B002MZ1UQE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277426039&sr=1-2

Less than half the price of Amazon.com

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

ultraviolence123 posted:

Snagged the $18 price earlier today. Thanks for the tip!

I did get it at that price, too. Another thing that had its price raised considerably is Red Riding. Thanks to this thread I was able to pre-order it at $24.99 or so.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

I said come in! posted:

The movies themselves better be amazing on blu-ray to justify that. :O I mean I know they are good, but I hope Fox didn't screw up on the picture and sound quality. Not sure what their track record has been like lately. They were the ones that royally hosed the Predator release up though.

This set was produced by the same guy that headed up the Blade Runner Final Cut boxset release, if that means anything.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

MajorB posted:

This set was produced by the same guy that headed up the Blade Runner Final Cut boxset release, if that means anything.

Welp, that sells it for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MajorB posted:

Gonna buy it now just based on that. The Blade Runner blu-ray set is one of the best out there.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Twilight Zone Season 1 will carry over all of the extras from the DVD set and also include the following brand new special features:

quote:

* Extremely rare, never-before-released unofficial Twilight Zone pilot, "The Time Element," written by Rod Serling and hosted by Desi Arnaz - presented in glorious high definition!
* 19 New Audio Commentaries, featuring The Twilight Zone Companion author Marc Scott Zicree, author and film historian Gary Gerani (Fantastic Television), author and music historian Steven C. Smith (A Heart at Fire's Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann), music historians John Morgan and William T. Stromberg, writer/producer David Simkins (Lois & Clark, Dark Angel), writer Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man), actor William Reynolds and director Ted Post.
* Interviews with actors Dana Dillaway, Suzanne Lloyd, Beverly Garland and Ron Masak.
* Tales of Tomorrow episode "What You Need."
* Vintage audio interview with Director of Photography George T. Clemens.
* 1977 syndication promos for "A Stop at Willoughby" and "The After Hours."
* 18 Radio Dramas
* 34 Isolated Music Scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and others!

Sounds like a drat good set. Shame about that $100 MSRP.

e:
Del Toro says Cronos will be a December release.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 25, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well hopefully it'll hit a more reasonable price during the holidays.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

The Twilight Zone Season 1 will carry over all of the extras from the DVD set and also include the following brand new special features:

Sounds like a drat good set. Shame about that $100 MSRP.

As soon as that set hits $50, it's mine.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Can somebody explain to me why The White Ribbon (out this coming Tuesday) is 35 loving dollars on Amazon? I mean, I know Sony Pictures Classics stuff usually commands a high price, but I've never seen one quite this high, especially just before the release.

It sucks because this is a title I definitely want to have in my hands day 1, and the cheapest option right now is looking like $30 at Best Buy :sigh:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

Can somebody explain to me why The White Ribbon (out this coming Tuesday) is 35 loving dollars on Amazon? I mean, I know Sony Pictures Classics stuff usually commands a high price, but I've never seen one quite this high, especially just before the release.

It sucks because this is a title I definitely want to have in my hands day 1, and the cheapest option right now is looking like $30 at Best Buy :sigh:
If they had a sale on it, they wouldn't actually increase sales. Because no one buys indie/foreign movies.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I get that SPC titles have high prices because they have limited pressings because they get low sales, but still - thirty-five dollars. Most of their other movies are hovering around $25, which I would be totally cool with paying for this release.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just watched it last night and it looks pretty drat good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even better, The Twilight Zone is using new HD transfers instead of the 2004 transfers used for the Definitive Editions. I'd imagine they were perfectly fine if 1080p, but that's awesome they're re-doing from scratch just to get that extra level of quality.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

:suicide:

-----------

On the plus side, the preorder is only $13.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003TRMLM6

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahaha god that's horrible.

Also, Lionsgate catalog titles are $10 at Wal-Mart. They're also usually available in-store a week early.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jason and the Argonauts reviewed. Another home run from Sony.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The mere mention of DVNR at Sony results in bewilderment and confusion.

Why can't all studios keep such a hands-off approach on catalog titles?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RichterIX posted:

How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.
On that note, sharing this with the rest of the class:

$9.99

The General
Battleship Potemkin

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

Click here for the full 1600x1168 image.

:sigh:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

doctor thodt posted:

Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

I like the contrast of all the red "Greatest Hits" PS3 games.

But, hey, at least it doesn't look like your bookshelf is going to explode and drop all of them on the floor like it used to.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not to turn this into Shelf Chat but those are pretty cool, where are they from?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlantic+-+Elite+Multimedia+Storage+Cabinet+-+Black/Gray/9735365.p?id=1218164358640&skuId=9735365

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Well, you've got more room to grow than I do. I'm almost out of space again. With the new Columbia and WB noir boxes coming, I think I'll be at capacity. Time to start pruning again.

You could get rid of some of those games. How many of those are you realistically going to play again?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell, how many of them do you think I've actually played in the first place? ;)

A Single Man reviewed
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo reviewed

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

WB noir boxes coming

Say what?! :toot:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Criminal Minded posted:

Say what?! :toot:

I think they're DVD

Also thodt, you can't just grab Best Buy shelves like that bro. :colbert:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I think they're DVD

Also thodt, you can't just grab Best Buy shelves like that bro. :colbert:

I have Atlantic shelves from Best Buy and they're actually pretty decent. Easy to assemble, no sagging or buckling, and they keep everything nice and orderly-looking as you can see above. For the price I haven't been able to find anything better for a high-volume collection.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

I have Atlantic shelves from Best Buy and they're actually pretty decent. Easy to assemble, no sagging or buckling, and they keep everything nice and orderly-looking as you can see above. For the price I haven't been able to find anything better for a high-volume collection.

I was joking that he stole an entire shelf from the Blu-Ray section at BB

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

I think they're DVD

Yeah they are. I have my Blus and DVDs all in one unit. Sorry if that was confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

doctor thodt posted:

Well at least I have about as many PS3 games as you :smith:

• Locked thread