Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Looking for a DOS game. You controlled a bouncing red ball, and you jumped on platforms. Some platforms had spikes and others were spinning. The levels were connected on a map, a little bit like Super Mario World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.
I hate just jumping into this thing without being able to help anybody else out, but there's a game that's been driving me completely crazy for years. It was a super old-school (early- to mid-90s at the latest) PC adventure game, first-person, in trilogy form. It had a definite horror slant to it. The opening screen of the first game was an alleyway in the middle of a city, with the player looking out into the street. I think at some point you descended into some sort of twisted nightmare world -- I remember a white river with weird, disturbing plants growing on its banks, and I think somebody had drowned in it. (That might have been part of the second game.) In the third game, you had to go into a cave and solve a bunch of standard adventure game stuff to light up the eye sockets of an enormous skull. The skull might have been blue.

There's really nothing to go on here, but it's easily been 15 years since I've even touched this game and I can't remember anything else. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it all up. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, it would be amazingly appreciated.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

GammaShade posted:

I hate just jumping into this thing without being able to help anybody else out, but there's a game that's been driving me completely crazy for years. It was a super old-school (early- to mid-90s at the latest) PC adventure game, first-person, in trilogy form. It had a definite horror slant to it. The opening screen of the first game was an alleyway in the middle of a city, with the player looking out into the street. I think at some point you descended into some sort of twisted nightmare world -- I remember a white river with weird, disturbing plants growing on its banks, and I think somebody had drowned in it. (That might have been part of the second game.) In the third game, you had to go into a cave and solve a bunch of standard adventure game stuff to light up the eye sockets of an enormous skull. The skull might have been blue.

There's really nothing to go on here, but it's easily been 15 years since I've even touched this game and I can't remember anything else. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it all up. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, it would be amazingly appreciated.

Guessing a bit here, but maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Comet

Shadow of the Comet was about the right time and the setting seems at least close. If not, try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games
as there's relatively few published in the 1992-1997 that even could be possible due to so many of the games being set in space/sci-fi or medieval/fantasy settings.

Ninja Edit: Failing that, Gabriel Knight series, maybe?

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

chairface posted:

Guessing a bit here, but maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Comet

Shadow of the Comet was about the right time and the setting seems at least close. If not, try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games
as there's relatively few published in the 1992-1997 that even could be possible due to so many of the games being set in space/sci-fi or medieval/fantasy settings.

Ninja Edit: Failing that, Gabriel Knight series, maybe?

Neither of those was it, but I'm looking through Wiki right now to see if anything jumps out at me. It's the kind of game where I would immediately know it if I saw a screenshot of it, which is probably the most frustrating part. Thanks for giving me a lead!

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
At the request of a friend, and since he stumped me, I thought I'd ask about an NES game he was asking me about.

In his words, "I remember there being a bunch of different weapons and like animal abilities that went with the weapons i think but i dont remember if you picked them up on the level or was able to select them like a class.. i think you found them on the level or somethin."

It was something to do with a ninja by his recollection. I guessed Wrath of the Black Manta, but he doesn't think that's it. Any ideas?

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

cucka posted:

At the request of a friend, and since he stumped me, I thought I'd ask about an NES game he was asking me about.

In his words, "I remember there being a bunch of different weapons and like animal abilities that went with the weapons i think but i dont remember if you picked them up on the level or was able to select them like a class.. i think you found them on the level or somethin."

It was something to do with a ninja by his recollection. I guessed Wrath of the Black Manta, but he doesn't think that's it. Any ideas?

Ninja Crusaders perhaps? I've never played it, but look! That guy is turning into a scorpion and stuff! And he's a ninja! :haw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8YJCAnOmLg

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

frogg posted:

Ninja Crusaders perhaps? I've never played it, but look! That guy is turning into a scorpion and stuff! And he's a ninja! :haw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8YJCAnOmLg

Ah jeez, good work sir. That'd be it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GammaShade posted:

It's not a trilogy, but Waxworks?

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Satellit3 posted:

hmm since no one got my first one, there's another that has been bothering me for a period of years now...

It's a PC game again, Win95 era, where you controlled a jet fighter "on rails" through various levels from the third person. You could shoot your machine gun/missiles as fast as you could press the buttons with unlimited ammo iirc, and the only level I remember was one where you flew straight up into the sky with clouds and poo poo going past.

Most memorably, EVERY time your jet locked on to a new enemy (often) this announcer or whatever would start yelling "FIRE! FIRE!FIRE!F-F-F-FIRE! FIRE!FIRE!" I played the game a ton but can't remember anything else :/ There may have been bosses too but I'm not sure about that

While not strictly a PC game, I'm pretty sure you're referring to one of the After Burner games. Skip up to the 0:40 mark or so and see if that one fits the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkkQNDvKEdg

If you're feeling like getting back into that, there's a new one that just came out on the XBLA/PSN called After Burner Climax.

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 25, 2010

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not a trilogy, but Waxworks?

No, that's not it either. The graphics are too good. I looked through that list chairface posted and couldn't find it, then looked through a few pretty comprehensive lists of Sierra games and games built on SCUMM, and I got no hits. A whole lot of nostalgia, but nothing to bring me closer to finding the game. I thought I was coming close with After Dark, but. That's a screen saver, not a game. I have a bunch of old boxes in my basement that I'm going to start tearing through to see if I can find this thing. If nothing else, I'm getting some good suggestions for other adventure games to check out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Try checking out the rest of the Horrorsoft games, then. They were the dudes who made Waxworks, and it seems they made a few games before that.

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

Hah! I did have it back in the recesses of my basement. It's called Dare to Dream, made by Epic Games in 1993. Now that I think of it, I don't think I ever played the second one—the first one was shareware and I could only find the box (and original floppy) for the third one.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I might look into this Waxworks thing now.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
I've stumped everybody else that I've asked about this so I may as well try here.

PC game, one of those build your empire and expand your borders ones where you started at a stone age like tech level, and eventually got this crazy future era where you could build battle-mechs.

The part that stumps everybody is the mechs part, but I clearly remember screenshots of roman legions fighting against a huge battletech-like mecha.

Another game I can't seem to figure out what it was from / the name was a sidescrolling R-type like game, where before the level started you would select the elemental suit (:v:earth, water, fire, all that kind of thing) you would use as your "ship" for the stage. I think the first stage was some kind of blue sky background with clouds rushing past you, and I think it was around during the GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming timeframe. EDIT: Oh and the art was sprite based I think. Not 3D.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 25, 2010

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Defiler posted:

PC game, one of those build your empire and expand your borders ones where you started at a stone age like tech level, and eventually got this crazy future era where you could build battle-mechs.

The part that stumps everybody is the mechs part, but I clearly remember screenshots of roman legions fighting against a huge battletech-like mecha.

Civilization: Call to Power had battlemechs close to the end of the tech tree, didn't it?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Civilization: Call to Power had battlemechs close to the end of the tech tree, didn't it?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a turn based game though. I believe it was real-time.
I probably should have said this earlier.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Zombie Defiler posted:

Another game I can't seem to figure out what it was from / the name was a sidescrolling R-type like game, where before the level started you would select the elemental suit (:v:earth, water, fire, all that kind of thing) you would use as your "ship" for the stage. I think the first stage was some kind of blue sky background with clouds rushing past you, and I think it was around during the GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming timeframe.

Bio Hazard Battle for the Genesis sort of fits this description. It's got the four different ships and the first level being the blue sky with clouds thing going on.

Also I tried Googling the answer for the other one and I ended up with Rise of Nations, where you can advance to stealth fighters and poo poo. Maybe an expansion threw battle mechs into the mix :iiam:

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less

Zombie Defiler posted:

I've stumped everybody else that I've asked about this so I may as well try here.

Empire Earth (II?) ?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Goofa posted:

Empire Earth (II?) ?

Dropping atom bombs on cave men was the best.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

frogg posted:

Bio Hazard Battle for the Genesis sort of fits this description. It's got the four different ships and the first level being the blue sky with clouds thing going on.

Its not Bio Hazard Battle, The "ships" you used were humanoid, but came in four elemental flavors.

Goofa posted:

Empire Earth (II?) ?

Thanks!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zombie Defiler posted:

Another game I can't seem to figure out what it was from / the name was a sidescrolling R-type like game, where before the level started you would select the elemental suit (:v:earth, water, fire, all that kind of thing) you would use as your "ship" for the stage. I think the first stage was some kind of blue sky background with clouds rushing past you, and I think it was around during the GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming timeframe. EDIT: Oh and the art was sprite based I think. Not 3D.

Surely this is Lords of Thunder from the Turbo CD and Sega CD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKRwr6HIf0 One of the most :black101: :rock: games out there, plus it's on the Virtual Console now too!

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Surely this is Lords of Thunder from the Turbo CD and Sega CD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKRwr6HIf0 One of the most :black101: :rock: games out there, plus it's on the Virtual Console now too!

YES! THANK YOU! This has been bugging me for AGES. I have no idea where I played this game for a brief time but I've wondered what the hell it was for so long.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Bart Fargo posted:

While not strictly a PC game, I'm pretty sure you're referring to one of the After Burner games. Skip up to the 0:40 mark or so and see if that one fits the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkkQNDvKEdg

If you're feeling like getting back into that, there's a new one that just came out on the XBLA/PSN called After Burner Climax.

Goddamn that game fits my description perfectly but it isn't it :( The one I played had better graphics/sound and you always started out in the air, none of that taking off or landing business. Also I don't recall using an emulator, so I'm assuming it must have been released on the PC at some point.

Satellit3 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 26, 2010

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Satellit3 posted:

Goddamn that game fits my description perfectly but it isn't it :( The one I played had better graphics/sound and you always started out in the air, none of that taking off or landing business. Also I don't recall using an emulator, so I'm assuming it must have been released on the PC at some point.

Maybe a similar Sega arcade game called G-LOC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztWkUCgKrWQ This was on PC via those Sega Smash Pack compilations that came out throughout the mid nineties~early 2000s.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe a similar Sega arcade game called G-LOC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztWkUCgKrWQ This was on PC via those Sega Smash Pack compilations that came out throughout the mid nineties~early 2000s.
That's not what I'm thinking of either, again I definitely seem to recall better graphics and sound. I've googled everything I can think of like 100 times but I just don't remember enough about the game.

BIGTIME
Nov 16, 2009

by mons al-madeen
It was on the playstation 1, all i remember are the wacky characters and cutscenes, i dont remember the gameplay at all. One cutscene involved a character making spaghetti, but the meat being used was human brains, and then it panned back and there were bodies hanging on meat hooks. There was something about a baby in a bunny suit but he was an overgrown manbaby or something ??? Wish someone could help me out here... its been driving me wild!!!

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
One I'm trying to remember, not much to go on:

From the 90's, PC, it was a first person, Dungeon-featuring game, 2.5D like Doom. I think you hit monsters with a sword. At the start you choose companions from a room of guys in some sort of stasis pods. There was also a shop at one point where you had to swap one item for another, and if you stole from it this big guy would come chasing after you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Forum Actuary posted:

One I'm trying to remember, not much to go on:

From the 90's, PC, it was a first person, Dungeon-featuring game, 2.5D like Doom. I think you hit monsters with a sword. At the start you choose companions from a room of guys in some sort of stasis pods. There was also a shop at one point where you had to swap one item for another, and if you stole from it this big guy would come chasing after you.

I'm very possibly wrong here, and I have no means of checking this, but I vaguely remember Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep as being like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BIGTIME posted:

It was on the playstation 1, all i remember are the wacky characters and cutscenes, i dont remember the gameplay at all. One cutscene involved a character making spaghetti, but the meat being used was human brains, and then it panned back and there were bodies hanging on meat hooks. There was something about a baby in a bunny suit but he was an overgrown manbaby or something ??? Wish someone could help me out here... its been driving me wild!!!

Loaded or Re-Loaded.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This is really out there but I thought I'd try anyway: Did anyone who used to download QBasic games remember a cyberpunk RPG by a "company" called Moretech or possibly Mortech? It was a text-based, menu driven game in QBasic, but I can't remember what it was called or if it's still kicking around the internet.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Rollersnake posted:

I'm very possibly wrong here, and I have no means of checking this, but I vaguely remember Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep as being like that.

Completely correct, thanks :D Google imaging that bought up shots of the exact bits I was talking about.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm looking for a game that looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master in every way, except that the graphics were better. Also, each character had a face next to their hands. I remember the art of these faces being very...what's the word...soft? There weren't any hard lines, it was very soft shading. I don't remember anything else, since I sucked at the game, unfortunately. Oh, the 'hand' icons were also colored in, not the line-art stuff in these screenshots I'm seeing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

So I'm looking for a game that looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master in every way, except that the graphics were better. Also, each character had a face next to their hands. I remember the art of these faces being very...what's the word...soft? There weren't any hard lines, it was very soft shading. I don't remember anything else, since I sucked at the game, unfortunately. Oh, the 'hand' icons were also colored in, not the line-art stuff in these screenshots I'm seeing.

Eye of the Beholder? There are a lot of first person RPGs from the mid-90s so this will be pretty tough.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Dungeon Hack?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

Grabulon posted:

Looking for a DOS game. You controlled a bouncing red ball, and you jumped on platforms. Some platforms had spikes and others were spinning. The levels were connected on a map, a little bit like Super Mario World.

not dos, but was this cameltry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2wPumdYy4c

e: nevermind, missed a detail or two from your post.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Looking for a 3D fighting game, probably was on Dreamcast or Sony PS1. It had AWFUL 3D graphics, as it was probably one of the first 3D games - was super polygonal and blocky. Each character had a weapon a la Soul Calibur, the only two that I remember are a shortish guy with a long sword and a big dude with a club (that was hilariously blocky). I want to say that the first guy was named Eli and the big dude was Bruno, but I could be making stuff up as I only played it once and it was a a long time ago. Help me goons!

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

sc4rs posted:

Looking for a 3D fighting game, probably was on Dreamcast or Sony PS1. It had AWFUL 3D graphics, as it was probably one of the first 3D games - was super polygonal and blocky. Each character had a weapon a la Soul Calibur, the only two that I remember are a shortish guy with a long sword and a big dude with a club (that was hilariously blocky). I want to say that the first guy was named Eli and the big dude was Bruno, but I could be making stuff up as I only played it once and it was a a long time ago. Help me goons!

Not that I played it other than the demo but that sounds kinda like Toshinden. The wikipedia article mentions characters called Eiji and Rungo, which are kind of similar to the names you mentioned too.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

wb posted:

Not that I played it other than the demo but that sounds kinda like Toshinden. The wikipedia article mentions characters called Eiji and Rungo, which are kind of similar to the names you mentioned too.

Oh holy poo poo yes! I was going to post "Eji" but I was like "what the gently caress kind of name is Eji it must have been Eli." Thanks!

Here's a video of Rungo with the hilariously blocky club. Just as hilarious as I remember.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fun fact: I own two different versions of Toshinden on the PC. One is bundled with Fatal Fury 3.

It's a pretty lovely game, but at least it has an awesome cheesy-rear end 90s jazz/rock/synth soundtrack.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 29, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hakkesshu posted:

Fun fact: I own two different versions of Toshinden on the PC. One is bundled with Fatal Fury 3.

It's a pretty lovely game, but at least it has an awesome cheesy-rear end 90s jazz/rock/synth soundtrack.

Here it is some 14 years since I last played it and I still remember "Aurora revolution! Aurora revolution!" and that shrieking, farting old man.

I know it's usually considered the definitive bad 3D fighter series, but I do remember it did one thing right—you could map special moves to the shoulder buttons. So it ended up being more accessible to beginners than almost any fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rollersnake posted:

Here it is some 14 years since I last played it and I still remember "Aurora revolution! Aurora revolution!" and that shrieking, farting old man.

I know it's usually considered the definitive bad 3D fighter series, but I do remember it did one thing right—you could map special moves to the shoulder buttons. So it ended up being more accessible to beginners than almost any fighter.

It was also awesome when someone started a combo move that you side stepped and then slash them in their back after they had stepped past you. The back-grabbing pain animation was always awesome in that game.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2010