Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

Ferg posted:

Yeah, I'll be looking into it for the next release.

Cool. Thanks again for your work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Great work! I think I'm on my way to fully converting to Chrome from Firefox, but there's a few minor issues that I miss from the FF SALR.

For the page navigator, is it possible to have the "last read" button on there? It's pretty handy if you have a tab open for awhile and when you click on it, it takes you to the newest posts.

Also, is it also possible to make the page navigator buttons able to be middle-clicked (so as to be opened in a new tab). It's pretty handy sometimes.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
would it be possible to add an option to SALR so that it automatically detects polsy-supported video links, and rewrites the URLs to point to polsy?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nuvan posted:

would it be possible to add an option to SALR so that it automatically detects polsy-supported video links, and rewrites the URLs to point to polsy?

What's a polsy-supported video link?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ferg posted:

I did some google searching and am still not 100% sure, but it may be something that lets people in other regions watch youtube videos? This seems like a relevant site

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Ferg posted:

Polsy is a site that can basically show videos hosted on a number of other sites without all the other stuff (related videos, comments, whatnot).

Instead of this, you have this (blip.tv example)

Polsy can handle videos from blip.tv, veoh, viddler, NicoNicoDouga, and WeGame.

Looks like it passes all the arguments by HTTP GET, so I think it would just be a matter of spotting the URLs, and rewriting them.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Why is there no option to turn off the gradient-color threads in Chrome?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

nuvan posted:

Polsy is a site that can basically show videos hosted on a number of other sites without all the other stuff (related videos, comments, whatnot).

Instead of this, you have this (blip.tv example)

Polsy can handle videos from blip.tv, veoh, viddler, NicoNicoDouga, and WeGame.

Looks like it passes all the arguments by HTTP GET, so I think it would just be a matter of spotting the URLs, and rewriting them.

Offtopic but what the gently caress is with that person's voice? :gonk:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just testing out username highlighting.

Ferg.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just released version 0.6:

- Added username highlighting for when you're mentioned, but not quoted, in a post
- Tweaked a setting which may improve loadtimes
- Added option to disable the omnibar icon
- Added a secondary extension to add a button to the browser bar

So obviously the most notable thing here is the omnibar button is now semi-configurable. Unfortunately it requires a separate extension to dock a button into the browser bar, but you can find that extension here: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jmhkgkpgnifdhpkjfjolilcikhahmbbk

Probably over the weekend I'll roll out another under-the-hood update that will open up a cross-extension API a little bit more. This would effectively allow other developers to extend SALR itself with their own extensions, which may make for some very cool new features.

On a separate note, who wants to make me a logo? The browser bar button really shows how lovely my photoshopping job was when I originally hacked the thing together. Separate logos for each extension, logos for the omnibar/browser bar, all ideas/submissions are welcome.

Edit: I am working sparingly on the quick reply box, but it usually ends with me getting frustrated quitting for a while. Promise that it's in the works though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Is there a way to have links from the button not open in a new tab? Other than that it's awesome.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Ferg posted:

So obviously the most notable thing here is the omnibar button is now semi-configurable. Unfortunately it requires a separate extension to dock a button into the browser bar, but you can find that extension here: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jmhkgkpgnifdhpkjfjolilcikhahmbbk

This thing doesn't actually update no matter how many threads i visit

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hung Yuri posted:

This thing doesn't actually update no matter how many threads i visit

Is it working in the main extension?

You can get debug info (if there is any) like this:
- Right click any extension in your button bar
- Select manage extensions
- Click Developer Mode so that it's expanded
- Right click on the SALR browser button
- Click Inspect Popup
- In the window that opens up, either select the Console tab or press Esc to bring up the console

Once the debug window is up you should see some information.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Is there a way to have links from the button not open in a new tab? Other than that it's awesome.

Yeah, that can be done. Post up on uservoice about it and I'll try to get it done this weekend.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is there any reason the extension won't update? I saw the update and checked mine, .4.8. I hit update and nothing happens. I ended up having to uninstall it and reinstall from the link in the OP.

Not a huge issue but just wondering if it's common. Running the latest Beta version.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there any reason the extension won't update? I saw the update and checked mine, .4.8. I hit update and nothing happens. I ended up having to uninstall it and reinstall from the link in the OP.

Not a huge issue but just wondering if it's common. Running the latest Beta version.

If you were on 0.4.8 you were way out of date. I made a switch to using Google's hosted extension repository some time back and since that changed the extension's signature it meant everybody had to completely reinstall from there. You should be fine now.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Ferg posted:

Is it working in the main extension?

You can get debug info (if there is any) like this:
- Right click any extension in your button bar
- Select manage extensions
- Click Developer Mode so that it's expanded
- Right click on the SALR browser button
- Click Inspect Popup
- In the window that opens up, either select the Console tab or press Esc to bring up the console

Once the debug window is up you should see some information.

Nvm, it's working now. It wasn't working when I posted it. Maybe it's because I tried clicking the update button (which didn't look like it did anything)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hung Yuri posted:

Nvm, it's working now. It wasn't working when I posted it. Maybe it's because I tried clicking the update button (which didn't look like it did anything)

It sometimes needs a little refresh loving to get going. Once you pull the thread list once though it remains cached and shouldn't disappear again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ferg posted:

If you were on 0.4.8 you were way out of date. I made a switch to using Google's hosted extension repository some time back and since that changed the extension's signature it meant everybody had to completely reinstall from there. You should be fine now.

:doh:

Having it explained to me is a good thing sometimes. You'd think after reading this thread front to back it would dawn on me what the problem was.

Many thanks. :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Testing out the quick-reply submit button

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Made some good progress on the quick-reply box. I'm posting from it right now and you can see up above that I successfully tested a post earlier as well. It's very very very pre-beta right now, but should be workable enough to add as an experimental option in the next release. Here's a screenshot of what's happening already:

Click here for the full 1259x582 image.

The popup is fixed at the bottom of the screen and can be shown/hidden at your whim. As you click on "Quote" buttons it will just add the quote to the existing reply window. It will scroll with you, ala the page navigator, so there's no need to stash it down and the bottom of the page.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
And with that, the quick reply box is now available as an experimental feature in v0.6.1. You'll have to enable it in the options menu.

It's very barebones right now, but should be usable. Features will come over time but be sure to let me know of any bugs.

Also in v0.6.1 is a small API that will let 3rd party extensions query a users SALR settings. You can both get and set preferences, or simply use SALR as a central datastore. API doc will be up on Github.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

The popup is fixed at the bottom of the screen and can be shown/hidden at your whim. As you click on "Quote" buttons it will just add the quote to the existing reply window. It will scroll with you, ala the page navigator, so there's no need to stash it down and the bottom of the page.
Weird: I just made a request to add an option for the 'Quote' buttons on the reply page to insert quotes into the post box!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Weird: I just made a request to add an option for the 'Quote' buttons on the reply page to insert quotes into the post box!

Yeah and you actually did it while I was writing the feature to append quotes. I was going to reply on uservoice but mehhhh ;)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish Chrome would update when I press update extensions....

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

Yeah and you actually did it while I was writing the feature to append quotes. I was going to reply on uservoice but mehhhh ;)
I'm just happy it's going in :)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

nuvan posted:

Here, I made a separate extension for you myself instead.

Hung Yuri posted:

Offtopic but what the gently caress is with that person's voice? :gonk:

Yeah, that's come up in the thread a few times, unsurprisingly.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just rolled up another minor update. Cleans up the look and feel of the quick reply box a bit, and adds the toggle for several posting options.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ferg posted:

Just rolled up another minor update. Cleans up the look and feel of the quick reply box a bit, and adds the toggle for several posting options.

I just tried making this post with the Quick Reply feature and I got an SA message saying authentication failed because I'm not using the "official" SA reply button.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: If I click "Preview Post" and then hit submit, it goes through fine.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

I just tried making this post with the Quick Reply feature and I got an SA message saying authentication failed because I'm not using the "official" SA reply button.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: If I click "Preview Post" and then hit submit, it goes through fine.

Testing

Edit: ^^ Posted that with it. Anybody know who at the forums I could get in touch with to get information on this?

Edit 2: Can somebody other than me turn off the quick reply, go to reply/quote a post, then inspect the page and look for a form field called "formkey"? If I had to guess, that might be the one that's a problem. I can fix it quickly if that's the case but I need to verify that each user has a unique key.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 27, 2010

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ferg posted:

Edit 2: Can somebody other than me turn off the quick reply, go to reply/quote a post, then inspect the page and look for a form field called "formkey"? If I had to guess, that might be the one that's a problem. I can fix it quickly if that's the case but I need to verify that each user has a unique key.

I did, and found it. Big long string of poo poo. Looks like you were right.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

I did, and found it. Big long string of poo poo. Looks like you were right.

Somebody just emailed me theirs. It's probably unique per user. I'll get a fix out in a bit.

Edit: Ehhhh maybe longer than a bit :) I'll start working on it though. Might require a hacky solution if I can't find an effective way.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Posting this from a validated quick reply box :smug:

It's a little hacky since the only way I can get your posting key is by having you visit the traditional post/reply page at least once. So what this fix does is ignores the Quick Reply box if you haven't yet set a post key, and sends you straight to the post page. Once you visit the traditional post page you will have a key. You can just hit the back button to use the quick reply box, and you should never have to go to the normal post page again.

Uploading the new version now.

Edit: I'm noticing trouble posting to threads other than this one. The thread ID is definitely valid from page-to-page, I'll have to investigate more,
Edit 2: False alarm maybe...meh. Let me know what your experiences are like.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 27, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

Posting this from a validated quick reply box :smug:

It's a little hacky since the only way I can get your posting key is by having you visit the traditional post/reply page at least once. So what this fix does is ignores the Quick Reply box if you haven't yet set a post key, and sends you straight to the post page. Once you visit the traditional post page you will have a key. You can just hit the back button to use the quick reply box, and you should never have to go to the normal post page again.

Uploading the new version now.

Edit: I'm noticing trouble posting to threads other than this one. The thread ID is definitely valid from page-to-page, I'll have to investigate more,
Edit 2: False alarm maybe...meh. Let me know what your experiences are like.

Ferg hosed around with this message at Jun 27, 2010 around 19:52
Very nice!

I'm pretty sure this might be a bit too much work, but would it be possible to make the quick reply box carry over if you switch pages in the same thread? It'd be nice to be able to quote multiple posts from multiple pages and post any responses in one single post.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the 'hosed around with this message' lines don't normally appear in quoted replies: You might want to fix that.

EDIT 2: Looking at the HTML, if you can limit the quoted text to anything between <!-- BeginContentMarker --> and <!-- EndContentMarker -->, or by ignoring anything inside the <p class="editedby"> tags, that should sort it.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 27, 2010

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Very nice!

I'm pretty sure this might be a bit too much work, but would it be possible to make the quick reply box carry over if you switch pages in the same thread? It'd be nice to be able to quote multiple posts from multiple pages and post any responses in one single post.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the 'hosed around with this message' lines don't normally appear in quoted replies: You might want to fix that.

EDIT 2: Looking at the HTML, if you can limit the quoted text to anything between and , or by ignoring anything inside the

Interestingly your posting those HTML comments also broke the parser. I have a list of things that need to get parsed out but so far all I've gotten was prettied up quoting and smilies.

As for persistence across thread pages, interesting idea. It may be doable down the line. I believe Chrome has full support for web workers now so it might be able to thread persistence in the background and query for it on each page load or something.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

In case you were planning to, don't rely on BeginContentMarker and EndContentMarker, they don't exist in FYAD, and maybe other places.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Polsy posted:

In case you were planning to, don't rely on BeginContentMarker and EndContentMarker, they don't exist in FYAD, and maybe other places.

I was actually just stripping anything irrelevant and parsing anything that should persist. What do the markers do anyways?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'm only guessing, but the fact they're always immediately followed by google_ad_section markers makes me think they're for restricting which parts of the page are used when picking out keywords to generate ads from (though, that doesn't really answer why there's both those and google_ad markers)

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

Interestingly your posting those HTML comments also broke the parser. I have a list of things that need to get parsed out but so far all I've gotten was prettied up quoting and smilies.

As for persistence across thread pages, interesting idea. It may be doable down the line. I believe Chrome has full support for web workers now so it might be able to thread persistence in the background and query for it on each page load or something.
At a guess, I'm thinking that your code must read it out as text then; you'd probably want to:
  • Read the pure HTML from the <td class="postbody">(.*?)</td> tag.
  • Parse out anything matching the regex <p class="editedby">.*?</p>
  • Parse out anything matching the <!-- BeginContentMarker -->, <!-- End Content Marker -->, and <!-- google_ad_section_start --> comments.
    Parse out anything matching the regex <div class="bbc-block".*?>.*?</div>
  • Turn any HTML elements into their BBcode/plain text equivalents. i.e. <b> into a bold tag, &amp; into &, etc.
  • Insert into the relevant quote tags into the box as normal.

Have I missed anything?

EDIT:- interestingly, &amp; renders into &: I had to type that out using &amp;amp;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
A few things:
  • I just tried using 'Reply' with the Quick Reply box, and it didn't post; maybe because I was the last person to respond to the thread? I hit Preview Reply to post this.
  • Make the Quick Reply post drag/droppable, so we can move it out of the way if it's obscuring a post.
  • Make the Quick Reply box resize if we resize the textarea.
  • If you quote one post, add a response, then click quote for another post to insert that one, it wipes your response out, and leaves the two quoted posts in the textarea. Might want to fix that, as Ctrl + Z won't restore your response :(

• Locked thread