Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It's been awhile since I have done some landscapes, too long.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Like how they turned out for the most part. Main issues with the second and the last. Greens are way to heavy in the second, going to go with a less saturated film in overcast weather next time and the blur on the last is heavy enough that it's a bit hard for me to look at, should have used a smaller aperture.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 25, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Just thought i'd show this guy off here, his front page of photos are absolutely amazing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/absolutelynothing/page1/

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click the images to view them on a black background (easier on the eyes).

Solstician Belt of Venus
OK, well, not precisely on Solstice, but, it'll do.

Captured within minutes of the sun disappearing, the beautiful Belt of Venus over the horizon, heralds the onset of nightfall.

The long exposure has subdued large splashy waves, a few minutes before high tide.

Made somewhere along a lovely spot on the southern coast of NSW.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

The Gates of Dusk
Lake Wanaka and its environs are like something out of a fantasy dreamscape.

I was on my way back from a tiring trek through Rob Roy Glacier, which was somewhat of a disappointment as there were very little photographic opportunities due to weather. When this fiery spectacle appeared before me, the disappointment of the uneventful and long day vanished in an instant.

An unexpected reward for a failure. Love it.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

H

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Amazing. You guys and your drat water. :argh:

Feeling blue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're pulling your skies a bit much, pal :)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

You're pulling your skies a bit much, pal :)

I guess they are a bit dark - I was messing with a new monitor at work before I calibrated it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Flew Illinois > Hawaii and I had a window seat.

Also, is it just me or is the new Flickr a total piece of poo poo to link from? I had to right-click and go to properties and copy the image url instead of just selecting the box at the bottom of the page and hitting copy. Is that still there and I just missed it?

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

RangerScum posted:

Flew Illinois > Hawaii and I had a window seat.

Also, is it just me or is the new Flickr a total piece of poo poo to link from? I had to right-click and go to properties and copy the image url instead of just selecting the box at the bottom of the page and hitting copy. Is that still there and I just missed it?

That's cool as hell. All my plane photo's end up with a wing in them. :(

You can still get the url by clicking on the button that says share this at the top of the image and selecting grab the link. It's probably not that much faster than your method though, I don't really know why they changed it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I think the second one works with the low-fi aesthetic best. Intriguing as always.

--

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RangerScum posted:

If it exists, it needs to be made more obvious (You can click "Share this" and get the URL for the page, but not a direct link to the picture) Hoping for a new greasemonkey script to be made soon.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click the image to view it on a black background (easier on the eyes).

Healing Garden
Soft light gently falls through the canopy, filters through medium density fog, and onto this ordered array of bare trunks.

I made this image whilst trekking through the Great Otway National Forest, in Victoria.

1.3s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso160

H

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

scottch posted:

Jesus Christ. I may shoot Nikon SLR, but I am definitely getting an S90 next time I need a P&S.

wait, who in the thread is shooting with an S90?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
spf3million was using one in China for the shots above my post. I don't believe he uses it regularly for this thread, but I was impressed with those shots.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

scottch posted:

spf3million was using one in China for the shots above my post. I don't believe he uses it regularly for this thread, but I was impressed with those shots.
Aww thanks! :3: It's small enough to always have in my backback and on that particular trip, I only had an ultrawide zoom for the dslr so the little extra reach came in handy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

spf3million posted:

Aww thanks! :3: It's small enough to always have in my backback and on that particular trip, I only had an ultrawide zoom for the dslr so the little extra reach came in handy.

it looks like it's just the one shot you used it for though, do you have any more examples from it?

I think an S90 might be my next point and shoot purchase too but I'm not in any hurry so I may wait to see if they update it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Amazing. You guys and your drat water. :argh:

Feeling blue.

I actually really like the sky in these. They're very much a colour counterpart to your b&w landscapes.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

More from the same place I posted above.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet

big cheese fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 8, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Dread Head posted:

I enjoy both of these, but the barrel distortion evident in the trees in both is distracting enough where it detracts from the image.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

How wide is that lens Dread Head? Distortion sticks out in the second one the most for me.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

East Lake posted:

How wide is that lens Dread Head? Distortion sticks out in the second one the most for me.

10mm on a crop body, I probably should do some lens correction.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Personally it doesn't bother me much in those photos, or in many landscapes. Only looks weird to me when it warps things like buildings or other clearly straight lines.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Dread Head posted:

I like these, but as said, the barrel distortion is distracting. Also, there is a bit of vignetting.

Check out DxO Optics. It takes care of both issues really easily.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
I recently took a road trip up Hwy 101, along the CA, OR, and WA coasts. Unfortunately, I didn't have the photo time I wanted, but I did manage to click off a few.

These are all from Oregon.

(drat, just noticed the rotate crop on this first one)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
No rocks, but there is a bridge!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been taking my camera on a lot of camping trips lately and want to get into more star and star trail photography but I could really use some tutorials to get me started.

Does anyone have a link to some good write-ups on star photography? exposure times, aperture, ISO, etc.

These are a few I took a few weeks back. The first is of the moon coming up over the lake we camped on. The second is all lit by campfire in the foreground and moonlight in the background.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

MMD3 posted:

I've been taking my camera on a lot of camping trips lately and want to get into more star and star trail photography but I could really use some tutorials to get me started.

Does anyone have a link to some good write-ups on star photography? exposure times, aperture, ISO, etc.

This is a pretty good book on night photography. It's not solely dedicated to stars, but it has a section on it. Check it out at a bookstore to see if it's what you're looking for.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Stacking images is really the best way to go. Here's a Photoshop action that I've used, and I reckon anyone that does stacking of star trails knows of its existence.

As far as shooting the individual frames for the stack: wide aperture, high-ish ISO, and longish shutter, but not so long as to need a timer remote. Schur (on the site above) recommends 15-30s, and that seems about right from what I've done as well.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I really like this one. That long cast shadow makes the photo.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 13, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Every image on this page has something I like, and shows a talent I wish I had. Great. Stuff.

East Lake posted:

I like this best of your set. The underexposed feeling of all of them is pleasant. Quiet.

Whitezombi posted:

Yep. I like your skies, always; of course it's not terribly difficult out that way.

octane2 posted:

H
The crazy blue at top center and the trunk on the left both need to go. Then it's awesome.

Dread Head posted:

I'm afraid people are starting to ignore you because of your habit of turning out things that always looked the same not long ago. This is different. It's beautiful. I know it's an expensive hurdle, but shots like this really benefit from a T/S lens or large format camera that has movements. Nice job.

Reichstag posted:

I've seen this sort of thing with my own eyes a million times, but you're so good at capturing a basic scene and showing us how you see it differently.

----

I did this thing.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

I did this thing.

Very austere and looks great. What filters?

----

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
drat, this thread has some really great landscapes. Dread Head and octane2, you guys have pretty consistently good/great shots. Haven't posted a shot here for years, so I guess I'm gonna post some black & whites (and a 4-shot HDR)

Kearsarge Lake(s), CA after sunset. Dodged/burned a bunch. I feel like I have too little foreground, I guess, but I do like the shot overall.

Spanish Banks, British Columbia. 13 second exposure, I think I used my lens cap as a ghetto in-camera mask to keep the sunlit areas from being completely gone (if not in this shot, then in a few of the other ones from this session for sure). Quadtoned, dodged/burned, then masked a curves layer into the lower half of the horizon to make the highlights lighter.

Alouette Lake, BC. Went there hoping for a sunset, weather turned to poo poo, decided it was still apropriate enough for black & white shots. As with most of my b/w shots, a bunch of dodging/burning happened.

Another one from the same day at Alouette Lake. This was taken when it was almost pitch-black. It's a 211 second exposure. The hike back to the parking lot was fun since I didn't have a flashlight.

This is the 4-shot HDR. Alouette Lake again, on a different day. The weather was almost as poo poo, until the sun decided to rear its head for like 10 minutes.