Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
mikhail, go watch Fitzcarraldo. This is one film I prefer to watch dubbed, for the same reasons that I watch Leone films dubbed. It just seems like it's part of the experience.

Watched Predator. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful-Seens posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Predator - I have the same reasoning for all of [the Arnold picks], save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it.

The Arnold List:
Predator
Total Recall
True Lies
Conan the Barbarian
Last Action Hero
Commando
Raw Deal
Collateral Damage
The 6th Day

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Wolfgang Pauli: watch True Lies. It's the only one of those movies that I've seen (I'm not a big action film person). It also happens to be the most recent James Cameron movie I'll ever watch. It's really fun and clever.

So I watched Fitzcarraldo and I followed it up with Burden of Dreams and all I can really say is wow. It's an outstanding film, absolutely beautiful and completely crazy at the same time. Kinski does a great job with being eccentric yet in an endearing way. The only other Herzog/Kinski films I had seen were Aguirre and Nosferatu so I wasn't surprised at Kinski being able to do eccentric, but for him to actually be likeable was a pleasant surprise. Burden of Dreams really drives home how well the production of Fitzcarraldo complements the film itself, and just what an ordeal it was to even make. Superb.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus - I know this one isn't considered a "true" Kubrick, but along with The Killing and, I suppose, Fear and Desire, it's the only one I haven't seen, so I should probably watch it anyway.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

meanmikhail posted:

Just watched The Great Dictator, my first Chaplin film. I thought it was hilarious and touching at the same time. I was taken out of it for a second when I saw the treatment they got in the concentration camp, but then I remembered that the general public didn't know the full extent of the Nazi's crimes (and read that Chaplin wouldn't have made the movie had he known). It's a great movie at any rate.

I hope you watch others. I adore Chaplin, and I think The Great Dictator is the weakest of his major works. You should be sure to check out one of silent ones like The Gold Rush or City Lights. It's almost cliche to point to those two, but they're really incredible films. The pantomime lends them a kind of purpose and purity that's missing from his sound work.

Also, I will never forgive you for picking Gone with the Wind right after I watched Ben-Hur. That's like 8 hours of movie right there.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism watch Z it's great. Also take Birth of a Nation of your list it sucks. If you want a long canon 1910's film by Griffiths watch Intolerance.

The Big Red One was a tiny bit underwhelming as it did feel like stuff I'd seen done before, but it's still very good. It's not my favourite style of war film but once I understood what it was trying to do it clicked really well. It's very episodic and what we get to know about the characters is limited considering the film is nearly 3 hours long, but really exemplifies the numbness that I imagine soldiers in a long war like this feel. There are some really excellent individual scenes that make this more than worth watching.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Les Vampires A big multi-part silent. I know it's not actually about vampires but rather some criminal gang. That's about the extent of my knowledge about it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Les Vampires A big multi-part silent. I know it's not actually about vampires but rather some criminal gang. That's about the extent of my knowledge about it.

I watched these a couple years ago on Google Video and they're a decent bit of fun. Nothing spectacular but it's kind of cool watching the 1915 equivalent of a television crime drama.

To contribute: I could go on and on about great moves I've never seen, but movies sitting in my Netflix queue that fit the bill are M, Brazil, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Third Man.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Eggnogium watch Butch Cassidy.

Finally got around to watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have definitely seen a lot of the movie, but I guess it's been a long time. This is the same the first two Alien movies, I watched them at such a young age that I am really fuzzy on the details. Anyways, this was a great movie: I think every major scene has been parodied. It's just a really fun movie, and I liked the feel of the movie. All the locales were nice look at.

Again, I am trying to bring my list down to five.

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:
5. WALL-E: I re-watched the Toy Story movies the other day, and I am thinking that I need to catch up with Pixar movies. After this, I will probably end up watching Up.

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

8. The Shawshank Redemption:

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest:

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Twin Cinema, watch WALL-E, then watch Up and Ratatouille when you get the chance.

Finally had the chance to watch through Rain Man. I wasn't expecting a road movie from it, but it was a nice feel-good film with strong performances from Cruise and Hoffman. Also fun to finally see where all these different references originated, although I bet I'll be saying that for a lot of the movies I watch thanks to this thread.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet )
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it's the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films, pick one and I'll give it a try.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
JVO, you get to watch 12 Angry Men! It's really good.

Saw The 39 Steps and Notorious (fancy double feature) and enjoyed them both. Notorious was a little slow to get started but once it got rolling (and once I realized what it was going for) it morphed into a really superb thriller. Poor Claude Rains, he really did love her. Hitchcock does a really great job of making the characters ambiguous without making things confusing, and Ebert is right when, at the end, you do feel more sympathy towards Rains than Grant. The mother character is magnificent, managing to be both humorous and creepy, reflecting glimpses of Rebecca's Ms. Danvers. I do wish the film were a little bit tighter, it seems to take forever to get going in the beginning, but by the time you get to the scary champagne you've forgotten the wait.

The 39 Steps is, I think, structured better, but it suffers from being sort of transitory between silent films and talkies. What's funny about that, though, is that by the time he's off the train the film has become almost entirely "talkie", and Hitchcock's gradual familiarization with synchronized sound almost plays out like an early subplot. There's a lot of Hitchcock regulars; a Macguffin, a wrongfully-accused man, an exciting trip across some distance, a very public revelation, a friendly-countryfolk sequence, and quite a few others. The use of Mr. Memory was a very good trick, and I loved following the twists and turns. It's so much fun to go along with the ride, and we're sorry when it's over. It's a little rough and unpolished but it's all Hitchcock, all the time, and, well, that's always a good thing.

Updated list, replaced The 39 Steps/Notorious fancy double feature with Tokyo Story.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Run Lola Run - This has been on my Netflix queue for like five years. I think I added it because I liked Memento and was all hopped up to see more films that played with timelines. Anyways, apparently it's really good.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) Tokyo Story - So far I've only seen one Ozu film, Good Morning (a blind-buy; it's kind of cute, actually), and apparently this is some amazing magnificent film, and Ozu is some great director, so sock it to me.

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Searchers - Apparently this is like A+ western. I'm not a huge fan of westerns, and actually I don't think I've even ever seen a Ford film. But it's on Blu-Ray, and I like Blu-Ray and this is number 9 on the They Shoot Pictures Don't They list.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Well... I got done watching Stalker and... well I'm almost disappointed. I say almost because it still is a brilliant film, but damm if it isen't slow sometimes.

My updated list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watch Run Lola Run. It was between this and the colur Purple, but Lola is less well... not three hours long.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have absolutely no beef with length. If I did, Gone With The Wind wouldn't be up there.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Just finished The Godfather, Part II, and...wow. I think I still like the first better, but while somebody else in the thread said that they found Michael's line boring at times, I was really sucked into just how low he ends up going. The last shots of Michael in the study just so perfectly illustrate the despair of the end of the film.

Updated list:

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Internal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

And the most egregious...10. Star Wars. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and now I just really don't care. I feel like after Spaceballs, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and all the pop culture references and hullabaloo over the prequels, I already know everything I need to know.

Hellbunny, go see Jackie Brown.

edit: derp, maybe I should remember the name of films I mention

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

My Fair Concubine

I'm trying to imagine a hybrid of My Fair Lady and Farewell My Concubine but it's not working.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm trying to imagine a hybrid of My Fair Lady and Farewell My Concubine but it's not working.

:downs: I don't even know how the gently caress I made that mistake...

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?
Vertigo, go watch Star Wars right now. It's a must.

This time I have two reviews...

Psycho- I've been to Universal Studios a good 30+ times, so I've seen most of this movie in bits and pieces due to the backlot tour and the constant use of it for film clips in the park. Despite knowing way too much about the film for having never seen it, it still blew me away. Hitchcock's direction was flawless and the movie kept a very unsettling tone that few movies have ever come close to.

This movie was the first black and white that really appealed to me, and has got me to give other older movies a shot. For whatever reason I had been shying away from them. Which leads me to another movie from this list I happened to watch on a classic B&W bender:

Dr. Strangelove- I really dont know what to say about this movie that hasn't been said before. Expertly crafted and just as relevant today (if not more so) than when it was released. Once Dr Strangelove was introduced on screen, I was in tears from laughing so hard until the movie ended. After a few rewatches I have no doubt this is going to become one of my all time favorites.

Both: 10/10

*Updated Shame List*

Casablanca- Yes, it's one of the most classic films of all time. But it just doesn't pique my interest. I also figure that I'll see it in film class next semester.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Cool Hand Luke- Never got around to seeing it for whatever reason. I've heard so much about it that it's time I see it.

The Godfather- This is probably the film I am the most ashamed of not seeing. But I have seen bits and pieces of it, and it seemed to drag a lot. And I feel like Ive seen the movie through all the pop culture references.

Rocky
A Clockwork Orange- Again, I haven't watched too much Kubrick and need to fix this. I've heard all sorts of things about it and how hosed up it is, so I do need to give it a watch to see for myself.

Schindler's List- I have no doubts that this is an amazing film, however I just don't feel like being depressed for a while after watching it. Requiem for a Dream had me depressed for a few days after, and I suspect this one will hit me harder than it.

Psycho
Network- This movie had gone by unknown to me for the longest time. It wasnt until this forum that I even heard of it and the numerous reasons I need to see it.

The Exorcist- I watched the beginning when I was 13 or so and turned it off for boring me. Not a huge horror fan, and like a couple other movies on my list, I think most of the important scenes have been ruined for me from spoofs and pop culture references.

Brazil- I watched 12 Monkeys and loved it, and haven only watched a couple Gilliam flicks. It's on my to-watch list, but I keep pushing it back for some reason.

Bullitt- Maybe 10 years ago I had this playing in the background and hardly paid attention to it besides the famous car chase. This really needs a rewatch to the point where I basically count this movie as unwatched. I think I could now appreciate this movie (whereas I couldnt at the age of 11 or so)

Dr No.- I started getting into Bond movies young, starting with Brosnan's films and going backwards since I was a kid dazzled by shiny things that blow up. Never made it to the original and feel shamed as a movie buff for never seeing it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cantskate43 you get Cool Hand Luke. It was either that or Casablanca and it sounds like you're more interested in watching this.

Eggnogium posted:

I watched these a couple years ago on Google Video and they're a decent bit of fun. Nothing spectacular but it's kind of cool watching the 1915 equivalent of a television crime drama.

I dunno, I'd say it was pretty spectacular. When I realized this was 6 and a half hours long I was wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but the episodic nature makes it really easy to watch. Each episode is self contained, but they tie together to form a larger narrative. It took about 20 minutes to get me hooked, but once I did I couldn't stop watching and succumbed to the "just one more episode" syndrome. It's creative but most of all it's just plain fun. Kidnapping, murder, bribery, blackmail and chase scenes make appearances throughout the series and while it's full of cliches and could be a little faster paced it's always exciting. Really glad I watched it.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Ballad of a Soldier It's an important Soviet war film. Been on my need to see list forever never was in the mood/

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Peaceful, you're a rotten fucker for making me choose between Ballad of a Soldier and The Burmese Harp. Ballad of a Soldier it is. It's stunning and beautiful on every level, every god drat level. And I'm such a sucker for Russian train stories. No matter how many I watch or read, they never get old.

Just watched True Lies. It's a really good parody of action films, but while it's funnier and more of an adventure than Die Hard, it's not as well made or well informed. The first act is pitch perfect, it comes out of the gate as a buddy cop spy action parody and it comes out running. Arnold does what he does best and is a great straight man to a surprisingly entertaining Tom Arnold. His loss is unfortunately very noticeable during the second act, however, and by the third the film slips into the kind of movie it set out to parody. It's heterogeneous in a bad way, but it's still fun and sly and goes every which way. (My favorite aspect is the flat and cheesy way the Arab terrorists are played up and countered by the cool Arab good guy)

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful-Seens posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Predator - I have the same reasoning for all of [the Arnold picks], save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

True Lies - Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it. It's a really good parody of action films, but while it's funnier and more of an adventure than Die Hard, it's not as well made or well informed. The first act is pitch perfect, it comes out of the gate as a buddy cop spy action parody and it comes out running. Arnold does what he does best and is a great straight man to a surprisingly entertaining Tom Arnold. His loss is unfortunately very noticeable during the second act, however, and by the third the film slips into the kind of movie it set out to parody. It's heterogeneous in a bad way, but it's still fun and sly and goes every which way. (My favorite aspect is the flat and cheesy way the Arab terrorists are played up and countered by the cool Arab good guy)

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful List posted:

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

High and Low - I'm all over Kurosawa, but I've never taken the time to watch one of his non-historic films. This is the one that always interested me the most.

Princess Mononoke - I've never seen a Miyazaki film, though not for lack of trying. Ultimately, I chose to skip the Miyazaki movie marathon my friends held so I could spend the day in bed with my girlfriend.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Peaceful, you're a rotten fucker for making me choose between Ballad of a Soldier and The Burmese Harp. Ballad of a Soldier it is. It's stunning and beautiful on every level, every god drat level. And I'm such a sucker for Russian train stories. No matter how many I watch or read, they never get old.
Are Russian train stories a genre? Anyway, I have to agree it was a beautiful film. It's always amazing when a film manages to balance genuine sentimentality with a light touch so that in those 90 minutes I could feel genuine joy and a tinge of sadness. It's right behind The Cranes are Flying and The Letter Never sent as one of the best Soviet films I've seen. I'm so sorry I waited so long to watch this.

You can watch Jules and Jim now, hopefully you'll like it more than MHB.

Updated list:

Kin-Dza-Dza A soviet Sci Fi film that's apparently highly regarded.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are Russian train stories a genre?
They're kind of like road movies, except set on trains. I've read more of them than I've seen. My favorite is a Margarita Sharapova story in Nine of Russia's Foremost Women Writers ("ComFuture"), but that collection is so hard to track down that I had to borrow a professor's copy for my Russian lit class. Amazon rarely ever stocks it. If I ever get to make an adventure film, it's going to be adapted from that.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
I just saw Jackie Brown last night.

I still have a unapologetic nerd boner for Tarantino. The guy just make such FUN movies. Not to mention that they are pretty smart movies overall.

My updated list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Watch this.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Watched 12 Angry Men, loved it. Hellbunny, now you too get to watch it, it's fantastic. It's also on youtube right now to make things easier.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet )
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films, pick one and I'll give it a try.

JVO fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 28, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

JVO posted:

Watched 12 Angry Men, loved it. Hellbunny, now you too get to watch it, it's fantastic. It's also on youtube right now to make things easier.

Updated List:
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.

Please watch City of God, sir. It's one of my favorite movies of all time and is relatively flawless.

This is way past due but I finally watched City Lights. My first Chaplin film and really my first silent comedy and I thought it was excellent. Warner Bros. cribbed everything they knew from this stuff, from Chaplin's mannerisms to his coy pseudo-gay flirtation with the other boxer. And speaking of which the boxing scene was brilliant, as were the ending lines. Favorite line though:

Tramp: Be careful how you're driving!
Millionaire (drunk): Am I driving?

Anyway, list!

1. City Lights Blazing Saddles
2. Cinema paradiso
3. All About Eve
4. Rebecca
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
6. It Happened One Night
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. The Grapes of Wrath
9. Viridiana
10. Le Samourai

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Arturo Ui, you have a hard list to pick from, a lot of classics on it. Watch The Grapes of Wrath.

Gone with the Wind It took me a little while to get into it, but man when it got going it was great. The elegance of Rebecca, the romance of Casablanca. Rhett is absolutely the basis for Han Solo. Mammy was terrific, Melanie and Ashley were surprisingly captivating. And that Rhett. Fuuuuuck he was awesome.

I was worried it was fall off after the burning of Atlanta, but I actually found the second half even more captivating than the action-packed first part.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

penismightier posted:

Black Orpheus No excuse.

No excuse could ever be good enough. Watch this.

Watched Raging Bull last night. I knew Robert De Niro was a great actor, but holy poo poo. And it wasn't just him, every single part in this film was played flawlessly.

Updated List:

FancyMike posted:

1. The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

2. 8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

4. Raging Bull
Taxi Driver - I feel like it would make sense to continue with the Scorsese/De Niro team.

5. Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

6. Paris, Texas - I've heard a lot about this one. The only Wim Wenders I've seen is Wings of Desire and I thought it was great.

7. Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

8. Ben Hur - It's supposed to be amazing and long I guess? There are other long movies on this list already, so why not.

9. Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
FancyMike, you should watch the epic Ben-Hur. It won 11 Academy Awards, saved MGM from bankruptcy, and contains probably the most complicated sequence ever filmed (the chariot race). Behold, the power of Jesus.

I watched the movie Amarcord, and can't say that I cared for it very much. I liked the arcing/cyclical nature of the story and the characters were interesting, but the film never took hold of me.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2
Amarcord
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography

Ed Wood
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't think watching Andrei Rublev because someone said you should see it is the best approach to that film. It's a beast and makes no pretensions about it. That's just how Tarkovsky does business. The "I can't tell characters apart because they have beards" argument is pretty unfounded, though.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't think watching Andrei Rublev because someone said you should see it is the best approach to that film. It's a beast and makes no pretensions about it. That's just how Tarkovsky does business. The "I can't tell characters apart because they have beards" argument is pretty unfounded, though.

Andrei Rublev is on my list because I started it once and some poo poo came up and I couldn't finish it. I've seen plenty of Tarkovsky and I'm familiar with the way he does things. I won't be watching it because "someone said I should see it", but because it's a film I feel I've needed to get back to for a long time. Really, I plan to get through all of the films on my list at some point but the conversation in here is nice and letting goons pick the order to watch them in is kind of novel.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Arkane posted:

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Watch this first. I promise you will love it.

Alright, for me:

Fanny and Alexander
I loved the 7th Seal and from what I read so far I'm sure I will love it. But lately I'm really not in a subtitle mood for some reason.

Lolita

I love Kubrick's movies but for some reason I have never seen this. Bought it like four years ago too. Absolutely no idea why I haven't watched it yet.

The Deerhunter

Apparently a Vietnam-must-see. Just can't get myself to buy and watch it.

The Outsiders

Same as the Deerhunter...

Rear Window

I usually like Hitchcock movies, but I have seen too many remakes of this.

Lawrence of Arabia

No excuse. I really want to see it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

Fanny and Alexander
I loved the 7th Seal and from what I read so far I'm sure I will love it. But lately I'm really not in a subtitle mood for some reason.

Get in the subtitle mood, because this is your assignment. And this is very important: watch the long version. The theatrical version is fine, but the television version is so much better.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Blu-Ray) - My first Guy Ritchie movie. It really wasn't as bad as I expected. I had feared it would be a lot of hip, flashy tough guys with attitude, spouting stupid one-liners and an orgy of senseless violence and all that. Aaaaand... well, it was that, but not to the unbearable degree I thought it would be. The four guys at the center were not as annoying as the rest of the characters, at least. And Ritchie does seem to have a knack for crafting an intricate, Tarantino-esque scenario with some clever business. The jokes weren't that great, but they weren't groaners either. I wouldn't watch it again, but it didn't fill me with hate either. Rating: 7

My updated list:

FitFortDanga posted:

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch - Never seen any Guy Ritchie. I don't think I'd like him, but I ought to see what the fuss is about.

2. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

3. Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

5. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan at all, but it seems like most people hold this one in high regard.

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

7. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

8. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

9. A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FFD go watch Sleuth

Oh my, what can I say about Chelsea Girls. It's a very challenging and draining film, I enjoyed large segments of it but was kind of bored through others. The split screen and varying audio, along with some of the shooting techniques Warhol uses, really make you think about how one chooses what to focus on. At times I was fully engaged on one segment and totally forgot there were two screens, at others I switched back and forth, I often followed the audio but not always, it was a very unique experience. It took a little to get engaged but after that I found some of it hilarious and a lot of it interesting. The second half I found less interesting than the first, and there was a half hour or so segment from about the 2hour mark to the 2:30 hour mark that was nearly unbearably stupid.

Updated list:

My Life As a Dog Just remembered this one, I think it falls into the "I'm under the impression this is really depressing" reason for not watching.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The second half I found less interesting than the first, and there was a half hour or so segment from about the 2hour mark to the 2:30 hour mark that was nearly unbearably stupid.

I wonder if you saw the same cut I did. Was that the part with Eric, ranting about his sweat?

EDIT: ah poo poo, Netflix doesn't have Sleuth. And neither does the library. I'll look around for it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

I wonder if you saw the same cut I did. Was that the part with Eric, ranting about his sweat?

Yes, that's the one. I was already getting a bit bored since the segment before it was silent, and his nonsensical rants just aren't the kind of nonsensical rants I want to listen to. The other screen seemed like it would have been somewhat more interesting. Funnily enough I just read Ebert's review and he seems to have hated the film yet cites that sequence as being good and touching.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Watched a clip from each of the movies on your list on Youtube, and this one won.

Rashomon is a really beautiful movie. I found the acting to be over the top at times, and the scenes at (in?) Rashomon felt a little muddled, but the forest scenes more than made up for that. Definitely worth a viewing for the cinematography alone.

Updated list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

tokill, you're going to watch The Night of the Hunter because I've wanted to see it and everyone in this thread seems to like it also.

I watched Dawn of the Dead by George Romero. I really enjoyed it. The characters don't really develop throughout the movie, but their takeover of the mall is pretty interesting. It's interesting that the characters in the movie refer to all of the zombies as "creatures" throughout the entire movie. I'd be interested in hearing when the term "zombie" became widespread. I'm glad that the original ending was changed, because the current ending had one of the most badass sequences that I've seen in a long time. Peter decides not to kill himself and makes a punching/tackling/shooting attack through hordes of zombies to reach the helicopter to escape. I honestly don't understand why Romero thought his remaining characters should commit suicide. The girl seemed sort of melancholy, but Peter was nothing but determined to survive throughout the entire movie. It's almost like he was trying to "outbleak" the ending of Night of the Living Dead. Fun movie. Probably the most headshots in a movie that I've ever seen. Definitely the most fluorescent red blood...

My list:
1)The Man Who Wasn't There - I love the Coen brothers. This movie has been on my instant queue for a while but I haven't sat down to watch it yet. Looks great.
2)Infernal Affairs - I loved Scorsese's The Departed, which is adapted from this movie. I've heard from several people on this forum that it is actually better than The Departed.
3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.
4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.
5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.
6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.
7) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - Have heard it's fantastic.
8) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.
9) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.
10) M - Sounds interesting. It has been on my instant queue for a while.

Finally watched: Battlefield Earth (don't watch this), Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Dawn of the Dead

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

tokillthesunflower posted:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

Most agree Good bad ugly is the best of the three.. the other two were decent, but I would probably swap that one for Once Upon a Time in the West, which I think is second to Good bad ugly out of all westerns.

FitFortDanga posted:

EDIT: ah poo poo, Netflix doesn't have Sleuth. And neither does the library. I'll look around for it.

Watch Snatch, it will be a good lead on from Smoking Barrels, and I think it is much better and more accessible. It's also extremely loving funny.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2010

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
edit: sorry double post

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Watch Snatch, it will be a good lead on from Smoking Barrels, and I think it is much better and more accessible. It's also extremely loving funny.

I already got my hands on Sleuth, might watch it tonight. Also, I don't think I need any more Guy Ritchie.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jolo, because I feel like recommending something a little more off beat you get What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? It's a lot of fun.

drat, I've seen enough Soviet films to have an idea of what to expect but this was a great surprise. An unsuspecting pair gets transported to a desert planet and spends the rest of the film meeting strange characters trying to get home. It's the humour that keeps it going and they do an awful lot with what must have been a pretty small budget. I've got to check out more Soviet films.

Updated list:

My Life As a Dog Just remembered this one, I think it falls into the "I'm under the impression this is really depressing" reason for not watching.

The Man Who Fell To Earth I love the few Roeg films I've seen so I guess I need to watch this one.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm really bothered that I haven't gotten you yet. I want to know what you make of Napoleon.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: watch My Life as a Dog. There's definitely sad stuff about it, but I wouldn't really call it depressing.

Watched Z and it was really good and also really frustrating. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, though.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus - I know this one isn't considered a "true" Kubrick, but along with The Killing and, I suppose, Fear and Desire, it's the only one I haven't seen, so I should probably watch it anyway.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I'm really bothered that I haven't gotten you yet. I want to know what you make of Napoleon.
I'm sure you'll get your chance. Now if only I can make you watch The Red Shoes. Though I guess with the blu ray out in 3 weeks it's probably worth the wait.

dotCommunism posted:

Peaceful Anarchy: watch My Life as a Dog. There's definitely sad stuff about it, but I wouldn't really call it depressing.

Watched Z and it was really good and also really frustrating. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, though.

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 30, 2010