Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

Some of those are flipped around. The pedestal one is what you get if you just KO her and stuff her in her footlocker.

Thanks man, it's been a while and it's hard to tell from the convo files. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
DXIW would have been well served to get Peter Krause (Nate Fisher of 'Six Feet Under') to be the male Alex.

"I'd love to be your chamber boy"
"You picked the wrong guy to mug, PUNK"
"Alex D. ... D for 'Don't Ask'"

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

People Have Died posted:

Has deusex.mp3 been posted yet

listen to it every day

That wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.

Does anyone know where the Shifter mod unique GEP gun and flamethrower are? I've found the unique pistol, stealth pistol, and Chinese sword so far, but that's it (just got to Hong Kong).

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
There is no unique GEP or thrower :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Le Sean posted:

There is no unique GEP or thrower :(

Well, you could count the ILAW as a unique GEP gun, even though it looks like an assault shotgun and uses it's own unique ammo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm working on scuttling the freighter in the sub base and my sound has started to crackle. It's driving me absolutely insane and I don't know what to do to fix it. I couldn't find any answers Googling aside from someone having this problem in august of 2001.

Help, I desperately want to play this game but I just cannot take the sound constantly crackling.

EDIT: I have discovered it crackles a ton when I move my mouse. What the gently caress?

EDIT2: I have discovered alt tabbing out of the game and using the switch to feature of task manager stops the crackling.

Computers are a mystery.

EDIT3: Turns out to just be that zone. Things are once again peaceful to listen to.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 27, 2010

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I just broke Paul out of the MJ12 facility but after I whacked a medbot with a baton he ran out and hit the alarm on me :smith:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's an amazing bug. gently caress modern games and their lack of hilarious unintended consequences of flexible systems.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Bought this game in the steam sale a few days ago and played through it for my first time.

Some of my experiences:

-I can see why people might not like liberty island. Picked the rifle to start, got myself lost within 20 minutes and found myself cursing the lack of a minimap (I later found the lack of a minimap to be essential). Eventually found the back way into the statue and made it to the top. I missed the staircase up there and wanted to hold off rescuing Gunther because I thought I had screwed up because I never met the guy at the docks. Soon got my legs broken from falling too far and killed myself because things were painfully slow. Realized there was no autosave and had to start over again. Picked the mini-crossbow the second time :doh:

-Somewhere around rescuing Sandra Renton from the pimp I decided the game kicked rear end.

-Saw the hints that UNATCO might be the bad guys from very early on. I ended up reacting very organically capturing Lebedev. I refused to kill him and waited to see what Anna would do. After she killed him, I took her out and was incredibly surprised to see that this was actually an expected game decision..

-Knew about paul dying and tried to save him in the apartment. I helped him fight the MiB's and waited for a bit until it seemed like he was out of danger, then I left through the window anyway :downs:

-Didn't talk to maggie chow in her apartment. I was snooping around upstairs when a soldier or something heard me through the wall and suddenly activated an alarm. She disappeared after that..

-Saw the odd mechanic but had no idea that the only way of saving jock was to kill him.

-Evidently did a bad job of exploring because I never even found an Arm augmentation, and had around 6 total aug upgrades by the end of the game.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cybermg posted:

-Saw the hints that UNATCO might be the bad guys from very early on. I ended up reacting very organically capturing Lebedev. I refused to kill him and waited to see what Anna would do. After she killed him, I took her out and was incredibly surprised to see that this was actually an expected game decision..

that's one of the most flexible scenes in any game. No matter what you do the designers expected it. It's what I think of when people talk about SSMA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Liesmith posted:

that's one of the most flexible scenes in any game. No matter what you do the designers expected it. It's what I think of when people talk about SSMA

Is there any consequence if you just stun Lebedev with the prod? It seems like the game acts like you kill him if you do that, but there are points in the game where people react differently to stunning vs. killing (for example, if you stun the drug dealer in the abandoned subways, the gang leader will say something like "whatever, I'll send one of my guys to finish the job").

I feel a little weird using spoiler tags on a 10 year old game but I figure with the sale, people will be playing it for the first time so why ruin it for them

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cybermg posted:

-Evidently did a bad job of exploring because I never even found an Arm augmentation, and had around 6 total aug upgrades by the end of the game.

If you want the augs, yeah, you have to explore everywhere and unlock every door. I'm a little puzzled that you only ended up with 6 upgrades total -- there are, to my recollection, at least six available in Versalife alone. The arm aug is on a box next to the NSF commander in the very first level, btw.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
The game stops caring whether you stun or kill NPCs after a while, unfortunately. Stunned NPCs are considered dead and people don't comment on your lethality/non-lethality after the first couple of missions.

(edit: I'm really not sure if stunning Lebedev is treated differently, I realize, looks like I need to go back and play the game again to try it.)

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 27, 2010

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Yeah, iirc the game treats unconscious and dead equivalently aside from a few dialogs near the beginning of the game.

EDIT:
Also OP, how can you make a Deus Ex thread without this link: http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

cl_gibcount 9999 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 27, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

The game stops caring whether you stun or kill NPCs after a while, unfortunately. Stunned NPCs are considered dead and people don't comment on your lethality/non-lethality after the first couple of missions.

(edit: I'm really not sure if stunning Lebedev is treated differently, I realize, looks like I need to go back and play the game again to try it.)

Me neither. Coincidentally, I am currently at the airfield and plan on doing that.

I find that if there's no reason to stun people, I try to keep the body count low by imagining that all the baddies are just dudes with families trying to help out the world, when all of a sudden this creepy man with glowing eyes fades in out of nowhere, jumps off a building, and runs 40 miles an hour at them, while shrugging off bullets and swinging an electric sword. I feel almost sorry for them.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
I think the thing everyone who plays the game more than once does is be a hell of a lot nicer to the NSF the second time through.

Some non-lethal weapons are actually very effective anyway, like the Gas Grenades, despite what those dumbass UNATCO soldiers have to say about them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Gas grenades are my favorite way to take out MIBs. Let them keep rubbing their eyes for a while, tag'em with a tranquilizer dart, and watch them go down. Then loot things from their unconscious (and therefore unexploded) bodies.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
seriously I was never that mean to the NSF :( they weren't hard to avoid and their vision is a lot worse than the later game enemies. But that little boy in france who's becoming an MJ12 trooper kind of reminds you that lots of people in this army probably are involved because they have no choice. So don't kill someone who's just doing his job... kill the real bad guys.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The tranquilizer darts are pretty overpowered too if you get a good shot in. They either collapse immediately or run around for 15 seconds and then collapse, either way, one shot and they're down.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Cybermg posted:

This is one of the awesome design things about DX1; there's not actually many choices here:

* Kill Lebedev & Anna
* Kill Lebedev
* Let Anna Kill Lebedev
* Kill Anna

But they aren't explained to the player and they cover every choice you'd actually want to make. That way, when you kill Anna and the game keeps going it feels so immersive.

(Of course with a modern game there would be a dialog menu and then you'd pick between Kill Anna/Kill Lebedev. Your choice would then play out in a rather impressive cutscene).

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Astroturf Man posted:

This is one of the awesome design things about DX1; there's not actually many choices here:

* Kill Lebedev & Anna
* Kill Lebedev
* Let Anna Kill Lebedev
* Kill Anna

But they aren't explained to the player and they cover every choice you'd actually want to make. That way, when you kill Anna and the game keeps going it feels so immersive.

(Of course with a modern game there would be a dialog menu and then you'd pick between Kill Anna/Kill Lebedev. Your choice would then play out in a rather impressive cutscene).

JC would sprout arm spikes and stab one person and then kick the other one's head off and light a cigarette.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Poppleganger posted:

JC would sprout arm spikes and stab one person and then kick the other one's head off and light a cigarette.

before the captain turned off the no smoking sign even

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

I think the thing everyone who plays the game more than once does is be a hell of a lot nicer to the NSF the second time through.

Yeah, I make an effort to not kill the NSF troopers quite as much in most playthroughs. Those MJ12 troopers pouring chlorine into the sewers, though, and ESPECIALLY the commandos and MIBs -- they run into some bad situations.

Except the one WIB in the castle in Paris. She has a datacube of her diary or something that humanizes her a lot more, so I do the same gas grenade or pepper spray + tranq dart thing to knock her out.

I kind of want to try a MAXIMUM OVERKILL playthrough and murder everyone in the game that I possibly can. Does it count as a kill to the game if you knock someone out and then shoot them in the head? If I did that to, say, Shannon, the girl stealing stuff at UNATCO, would she be back in future levels?

orange lime fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 27, 2010

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

orange lime posted:

Does it count as a kill to the game if you knock someone out and then shoot them in the head? If I did that to, say, Shannon, the girl stealing stuff at UNATCO, would she be back in future levels?

Once you knock someone out they're unconscious for good, even if you gib their body I believe (the tag stays as 'unconscious' the entire time). Biomod changes this in terms of the tagging, but I don't know if the game decides to react to a kill or not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

orange lime posted:

I kind of want to try a MAXIMUM OVERKILL playthrough and murder everyone in the game that I possibly can.

I'm doing this, minus the "everyone I possibly can" and plus "murder everything that IFF paints red." If it's an enemy, it gets a crowbar to the back of the head, or an AR magazine in the chest, or sniped, or gibbed by my GEP or LAMs or everything else I have.

Leave no enemy of JC Denton alive. They must all die to atone for their stupidity. :black101:

The funny thing is I'm making a stealth character.

e; oh, and I managed to game the game so neither Carter nor Anna get mad at me by sneaking into the Castle Clinton basement and finding the Ambrosia by murdering everyone down there, then meeting Anna inside the Castle after she'd slaughtered everyone on the ground floor on her own, and then solving the hostage situation by sneaking around and letting the hostages escape before killing everyone in the station. Anna ended up thinking I'd assaulted the Castle during the mission and Carter ended up thinking I'd gone nonlethal.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 27, 2010

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Is there a unique assault rifle in Shifter? I haven't been able to find one.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

OregonDonor posted:

Not that I'm aware of.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fleshweasel posted:

seriously I was never that mean to the NSF :( they weren't hard to avoid and their vision is a lot worse than the later game enemies. But that little boy in france who's becoming an MJ12 trooper kind of reminds you that lots of people in this army probably are involved because they have no choice. So don't kill someone who's just doing his job... kill the real bad guys.

Actually it's his older brother, who already is an MJ12 trooper. The really sad part about that bit is that the father gives you the password to the bot control in the guard post knowing full well that his son might die when/if you attack it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cybermg posted:

-Saw the odd mechanic but had no idea that the only way of saving jock was to kill him.

You can also report him to Everett- he will tell you to take care of him, and if you talk to Jock he'll figure out what's wrong. Also you can just knock the dude out.

I love all the little details in the game- at the cathedral, you can find an MJ12 hit list with the name "Erin Todd" on it. That's the name of the NSF whose datacubes you can find while working against the NSF.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 27, 2010

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He'd rather be free from MJ12 than have his son alive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

* Kill Lebedev & Anna
* Kill Lebedev
* Let Anna Kill Lebedev
* Kill Anna

There's more than that. As far as I know, it's:

*Kill Anna before she kills Lebedev and let Lebedev live
*Kill Anna before she kills Lebedev and kill Lebedev anyways
*Kill Lebedev before Anna does and let Anna live
*Kill Lebedev before Anna does and kill Anna anyways
*Let Anna kill Lebedev and kill Anna in retaliation
*Let Anna kill Lebedev and let Anna live
*Make Anna run away in pain and let them both live <- Not actually sure if this is possible, but I'd imagine it should be.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

OregonDonor posted:

Don't think so. The Jackhammer behaves like an assault rifle, kinda. No grenade rounds, though, obviously.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

*Make Anna run away in pain and let them both live <- Not actually sure if this is possible, but I'd imagine it should be.
It's easier than that -- just place a small metal crate in front of the door. Navarre can't figure out how to get to Lebedev, so she just hurls threats at you from the hallway while you have a nice chat about your parents and calmly walk out of the plane.

Ansob. posted:

oh, and I managed to game the game so neither Carter nor Anna get mad at me by sneaking into the Castle Clinton basement and finding the Ambrosia by murdering everyone down there, then meeting Anna inside the Castle after she'd slaughtered everyone on the ground floor on her own, and then solving the hostage situation by sneaking around and letting the hostages escape before killing everyone in the station. Anna ended up thinking I'd assaulted the Castle during the mission and Carter ended up thinking I'd gone nonlethal.
Yeah, that trigger is really screwed up. Your best bet for keeping Carter happy is to run to the front gate as soon as the mission starts, and close and barricade the doors from the outside. Use the rear entrance to find the ambrosia, and just don't enter the courtyard at all.

Speaking of the hostage situation, I discovered something great today. I rescued the hostages and afterwards, I started ferrying the crates of TNT into Hell's Kitchen (they come in handy). I guess I got a little too close to the line that summons Paul down the stairway, and when he initiated the conversation, it made me drop the TNT. BOOOOM! ARRrrughghghghghhg! At least one of the freed hostages got gibbed. So I scraped myself off the floor (legs blown off) and frobbed Paul:

"JC, we need to talk. That hostage rescue was a disaster." :bravo:

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

orange lime posted:

I kind of want to try a MAXIMUM OVERKILL playthrough and murder everyone in the game that I possibly can. Does it count as a kill to the game if you knock someone out and then shoot them in the head? If I did that to, say, Shannon, the girl stealing stuff at UNATCO, would she be back in future levels?

I just finished a playthrough like this, and I highly recommend it with one difference: instead of killing everyone, leave some people alive to react to you. JC will justify almost all of his horrible, horrible murders if asked, and even worse, most people will just give in and accept his reasoning.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Farmyard Agency posted:

I never played Deus Ex! :ohdear:

This :ohdear:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

orange lime posted:

AFAIK, the only character in vanilla Deus Ex that lacks the "important" flag and thus has their death properly tracked, but is also a named, notable character, is the bartender in Hell's Kitchen. The repeat visits to the bar would be sort of broken if she was dead for return visits. Everyone else if they're killed, and they have a name, then they stay dead.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 27, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Stathol posted:

It's easier than that -- just place a small metal crate in front of the door. Navarre can't figure out how to get to Lebedev, so she just hurls threats at you from the hallway while you have a nice chat about your parents and calmly walk out of the plane.

Can the game handle Lebedev not dieing?

Stathol posted:

Yeah, that trigger is really screwed up. Your best bet for keeping Carter happy is to run to the front gate as soon as the mission starts, and close and barricade the doors from the outside. Use the rear entrance to find the ambrosia, and just don't enter the courtyard at all.

On my last playthrough, I went in the back and out the front, killing everyone. When I spoke to Anna, she said I was 'too gentle'. I guess the game only looks at which entry you took. What a shame.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Gynovore posted:

Can the game handle Lebedev not dieing?
Yep, it's one of the expected outcomes. There's one for if you don't kill him, but Anna does, and one for if Anna is scared away or killed. Hearing massive boom after placing a couple explosive barrels by the door is a lot of fun.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Yep, it's one of the expected outcomes. There's one for if you don't kill him, but Anna does, and one for if Anna is scared away or killed. Hearing massive boom after placing a couple explosive barrels by the door is a lot of fun.

What happens if neither of them die? I've never thought to try to do that.