Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

Iwate posted:

Got an interview on Monday the 14th, webcam style.
Any advice?

Wear Chacos or Tevas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
If it's a webcam, he doesn't even need to wear pants, forget Chacos or Tevas.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Iwate posted:

Got an interview on Monday the 14th, webcam style.
Any advice?

Like any interview, be honest, but twist any faults you have into positives. If you lie you run the risk of being called on it later if its something they can check (classes you've taken, work youve done). It's pretty casual overall, they want you to get in, so just be cool and confident.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
No pants. Got it.

This is exciting. Unfortunately I have to do it at 11 at night, but hey, whatever gets me into the peace corps is worth it.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

Iwate posted:

No pants. Got it.

This is exciting. Unfortunately I have to do it at 11 at night, but hey, whatever gets me into the peace corps is worth it.

The webcam thing is honestly fascinating, I had no idea they did things like that. Did your recruiter suggest it or did you?

I think I'd be more afraid of webcams than an in-person or phone interview. I think because too much chat roulette made me associate webcamming with having a dong flopping in my face.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Webcam or phone interview? Take a few shots first, preferably Hot drat. There's no way anything can go wrong then.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Hah! The webcam software froze up like halfway through our interview. We ended up doing it by the phone while we stared at a still image of one another on our screen.

You'll get directions for how to operate the special software they use for their webcam interviews. Make sure your web browser supports it, etc, before your slated time.

My recruiter was really laid back and chill. Good luck!

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Iwate posted:

No pants. Got it.

I knew they offered webcam interviews because my friend applied from within the same country I am in.

Pocket DeSade posted:

The webcam thing is honestly fascinating, I had no idea they did things like that. Did your recruiter suggest it or did you?

I think I'd be more afraid of webcams than an in-person or phone interview. I think because too much chat roulette made me associate webcamming with having a dong flopping in my face.

And I also hope I don't see my recruiters dong...mainly because she is a she... but hey, with laid back people anything can happen...

Iwate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 3, 2010

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Yay, we just scheduled my interview, for the end of the month!

It's in NYC, which is somewhat of a distance from me, but it should be interesting. I hope I don't look like a mess by the time I get there.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I just had my interview via webcam. It went really well, or so I hope. I was really tired, because it was 10 at night, but I think i nailed it. The webcam worked for 10 minutes, cut out for 10 seconds, then we decided to finish the interview over the phone.

I am up for either secondary english teacher training, which sounds a lot better than teaching kids for another 2 years. And water and sanitation, which they said I qualify for but I am probably not going to get.
I also qualified for just normal english teaching, but since I am over qualified for that, they will use me elsewhere. Yay for being awesome!

I will keep you all posted about a nomination (if I get one).

Cheers to waiting a month.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RagnarokAngel posted:

Got nominated, Teach English in Europe in March. Really excited now, I got turned down before but things are really going my way now.

Do you know why you were turned down the first time? I don't think I've heard of that happening from the PC for a non-medical reason.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
A friend linked me to this website and it seems to be PC for media, but I can't get passed all the marketing babble to figure out what they actually do. Anyone heard of this project?

http://transmissionproject.org/

Any way started my application. I've been thinking about PC for a few years, and any time I work with kids or tutor I feel like I'm top of the world. It's the little impacts that I love.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 17, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Do you know why you were turned down the first time? I don't think I've heard of that happening from the PC for a non-medical reason.

I wasn't competitive enough was the reason given. I reapplied because emails went out to people who had applied saying there was a budget increase and they were taking people they turned down before.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Whats up people!
I got my invitation packet today. I'm going to Kazakhstan to teach Secondary english on August 18. Anyone else going??

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am gonna get f'in nominated!!!:
Program: Primary Education Teacher Training
Region: Sub-Saharan Africa
Departure Date: June 2011

I'm gonna teach how to teach. Balla.

Anyone got anything about Primary Education Teacher Training?

Iwate fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 18, 2010

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wasn't competitive enough was the reason given. I reapplied because emails went out to people who had applied saying there was a budget increase and they were taking people they turned down before.

How competitive do you have to be? I have some tutor experience and also worked with social workers back in my teens, but really lack on volunteer mostly because I've never had time to do it. I did canvass for Obama back during the primaries.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

How competitive do you have to be? I have some tutor experience and also worked with social workers back in my teens, but really lack on volunteer mostly because I've never had time to do it. I did canvass for Obama back during the primaries.

Don't let my experience worry you I honestly don't know what the gently caress happened in my case. Absolutely nothing changed about my qualifications and I got in on my second try.

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

Whats up people!
I got my invitation packet today. I'm going to Kazakhstan to teach Secondary english on August 18. Anyone else going??

I'm going to Kazakhstan for youth development, what ever role that may take on the same day! Just got my packet last Thursday and now I'm working through all the paper work here. See you in August :)

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
the paperwork is not actually as bad as it seems at first blush. Definitely do the passport stuff online and print it.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

I have my interview Monday. I've read in guides that I should "be knowlegable, but not so knowlegable as to not have questions" (from http://www.peacecorpswiki.com/Interview_Questions)

I saw the sample questions to ask, but I'm afraid of acting like I have the job, by asking them.

I always have trouble with asking questions during an interview, cause I'm afraid the answer is something I should have researched, or I'm just asking a question for the sake of asking.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

I have my interview Monday. I've read in guides that I should "be knowlegable, but not so knowlegable as to not have questions" (from http://www.peacecorpswiki.com/Interview_Questions)

I saw the sample questions to ask, but I'm afraid of acting like I have the job, by asking them.

I always have trouble with asking questions during an interview, cause I'm afraid the answer is something I should have researched, or I'm just asking a question for the sake of asking.

Do not panic. I'm gonna be up front, if you made it to the interview stage you're almost guaranteed unless you make a serious fool of yourself, and you'll know if they do. These guys are relaxed and almost all of them served once themselves. They were in your position once and wanna see you succeed. It's not "presumptuous" to ask questions and NEVER be afraid it's a stupid question. Asking questions shows you're really invested in this and wanted to hear answers from the source. Sure you COULD get these answers from people on the internet who've served, but you can't be sure if it applies to everyone or is accurate. Asking an authority shows you want the real answers and are dedicated to this and not just doing this "just cause".

Edit: If you still wanna sound informed while asking a question, frame it in the sense of wanting to learn more about what you know. Example: I wanted to ask about what the Peace Corps does if I were to get injured or ill and I wasn't in a position to contact them for medical aid. So I said "I know that the Peace Corps offers medical assistance if you volunteer, but what would happen if I hurt myself and couldn't contact the offices?". I established that I had some knowledge but wanted to know some more.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 27, 2010

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

the paperwork is not actually as bad as it seems at first blush. Definitely do the passport stuff online and print it.

Well poo poo, I don't know why you recommended this, but I already didn't do that. I had the DS-82 though, so I got to send it all in one fed ex.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Stoner - Have you learned anything definitive about language during Pre-Service Training? Do we get training in BOTH Russian AND Kazakh?

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

Stoner - Have you learned anything definitive about language during Pre-Service Training? Do we get training in BOTH Russian AND Kazakh?

As I understand it, we will be taught Russian because it is the language most business happens in there. Kazakh is spoken but it's not by the majority, so though we may encounter it it wouldn't be as useful as Russian.

Stoner Boner fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 28, 2010

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

RagnarokAngel posted:

Edit: If you still wanna sound informed while asking a question, frame it in the sense of wanting to learn more about what you know. Example: I wanted to ask about what the Peace Corps does if I were to get injured or ill and I wasn't in a position to contact them for medical aid. So I said "I know that the Peace Corps offers medical assistance if you volunteer, but what would happen if I hurt myself and couldn't contact the offices?". I established that I had some knowledge but wanted to know some more.

This is a pretty important part of the "asking questions during the interview" process. It's important to ask questions so you look engaged, but it's terrible to ask a question for which you should already know the answer. I think I'd rather not ask a question than ask something readily available in the materials they'd already provided. RagnarokAngel's question is perfect because it incorporates the stuff he's already researched and is familiar with, but then uses it to provide a further "what if" scenario.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

I've been debating with friends; tie or no tie?

I'm still wearing khakis , oxford shirt, belt, and dress shoes. Think a tie is still needed?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Tie never hurts. Nobody will ever scorn you for being over dressed in my opinion. Plus, it always goes that extra bit to make it look like you're cleaned up and well prepared.

Regarding questions, in my interview I asked about resources to learn more. I asked about books I could read, websites, etc. This, I think, is a good question because it makes it clear that you are excited to learn more and it's easy for the interviewer to answer.

Good luck!!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's better to wear a tie and not have needed to than to not wear a tie and have needed to.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

It's better to wear a tie and not have needed to than to not wear a tie and have needed to.

This. I wore a tie and a jacket to be safe. To an interview you can never be "overdressed" in my opinion.

Seriously though good luck, we're rooting for you.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I wore nice jeans and a dickies work shirt to my interview. It went off without a hitch. PacNW rules.

Edit: Posting from my hotel room at staging in Philly :hellyeah:

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

I...think...my interview went ok, I don't think I said anything offensive or anything.

It literally followed the link I posted before, to the T, so I was pretty prepared (although probably rambled out of nervousness)

So..what happens from here? lol

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
You'll get nominated. Some people get theirs a few days after but mine took about a month from my interview.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

You'll get nominated. Some people get theirs a few days after but mine took about a month from my interview.

I don't have my 3 months English tutoring experience yet (see above)
Do you think I won't get nominated until I get that done?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pocket DeSade posted:

Why not ask your recruiter whether that will hold you back from being nominated, or just from being invited to a country (the step after)?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

You get nominated first. Your recruiter will email you or call you, and will detail what you have to do. So as much as it sucks you can't do much but wait.

Feel free to look for the experience though.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!
Had my interview over the phone on wednesday, and the woman said that (off the record) she planned on nominating me for community development.

Yippee!

Now just anxiously awaiting supplemental forms..

Geschi
Dec 22, 2007

War starts at midnight!

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

Had my interview over the phone on wednesday, and the woman said that (off the record) she planned on nominating me for community development.

Yippee!

Now just anxiously awaiting supplemental forms..

Just our of curiosity what is your background that got you community development? I know the Peace Corps website lists some requirements but I'd like some examples.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!

Geschi posted:

Just our of curiosity what is your background that got you community development? I know the Peace Corps website lists some requirements but I'd like some examples.

I'm a Cultural/Applied Anthropology undergrad getting my degree this fall, and I've had a few pretty unique employment experiences.

By the way, my background check fingerprint packet came in the mail today.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I got my medical packet a few days ago. I feared what was inside, but after looking through all of it, it seems really easy. Almost too easy.

I have/had nothing wrong with me ever, no allergies or anything. Provided I get all the paperwork in that they sent me (A physical, dental and eye), will there be more?
Like I said, it seems almost too easy, and I am nominated for subsahara Africa, which I would think is a place requiring more than a physical.

However, if this is all I have to do, then that is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iwate posted:

I got my medical packet a few days ago. I feared what was inside, but after looking through all of it, it seems really easy. Almost too easy.

I have/had nothing wrong with me ever, no allergies or anything. Provided I get all the paperwork in that they sent me (A physical, dental and eye), will there be more?
Like I said, it seems almost too easy, and I am nominated for subsahara Africa, which I would think is a place requiring more than a physical.

However, if this is all I have to do, then that is awesome.

I have never broke a bone, never had a cavity, and my medical paperwork has still been the most pain staking process thus far. I mentioned that I got stuffed up twice a year from seasonal allergies, they needed a doctor to say it was mild. I said I had a little surgery and had to visit my doctor 4-5 times just to get paperwork signed off saying I was healthy.

Bottom line, if you check "yes" on a box, be prepared to have a doctor say what the condition is, what the extent of the symptoms are, what you treat it with, do you need any further assistance with the condition yadda, yadda.

And to the person up there asking about community development I was nominated for community development and I have a bachelors of social welfare.

• Locked thread