Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Slug in a Box posted:

Yeah, I agree.
I also hate the platform jumping for their main titles. It wasn't so bad last gen since they mostly stuck to PS2, but this gen is just a mess. You have to own all the consoles and portables if you want to play all the main Tales games. Go multiplatform or stick to one console/portable from now on.

They should also cut down the whole "Team Symphonia" and "Team Destiny" idea. They are already starting to merge, so they're on the right track. It feels weird for stuff like Tales of Vesperia not to have CC which is a great upgrade to the battle system, and on the other side, have Tales of Graces not have simple stuff like renaming party members or scene skip from ToV.
How do you scene skip in ToV? I could never fit it out.

Also what's CC in the context of Tales games? And how does character renaming work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ice Blue posted:

Also what's CC in the context of Tales games? And how does character renaming work?

No idea

CC are "Move points" that more or less replace TP and refill quickly in battle. The cravat being that every action except for moving and using Items requires at least one CC Point. The last game to use it was Keroro RPG.

Renaming is usually a case of selecting the person's name in most Tales games.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 26, 2010

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The Capacity Chain system replaced TP in the 2D Tales games starting from Tales of Destiny PS2, as part of the newly introduced AR-LMBS. How exactly it works is convoluted and not very well explained by anyone but one of the features of it was that instead of TP you had a set amount of points, that were taken up by any offensive action you did. Normal attacks took up one point, and artes took up varying amounts. One of the defining feautres of it was the lack of skill tree system unlike the older games, so you could use any artes you have learned in any order with the only limiting factor being your CC meter. It constantly regenerates too, so there was no need to worry much about it once you were levelled up enough to have a decent amount of CC points.

Unfortunately, Tales Studio (the Team Destiny side of it) decided to run with various permuatations of the system for all the 2D Tales games released after it. My only personal experience with the system has been with Tales of Hearts and it's something that sort of gets samey after a while. Same with the Free-Run system in most of the 3D Tales games.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Symphonia after Abyss may have no free run, but the lack of load times should be delightful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakitu7 posted:

Symphonia after Abyss may have no free run, but the lack of load times should be delightful.

Yeah. I think called it "Tales of the Loading Screen".

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

No idea

CC are "Move points" that more or less replace TP and refill quickly in battle. The cravat being that every action except for moving and using Items requires at least one CC Point. The last game to use it was Keroro RPG.

Renaming is usually a case of selecting the person's name in most Tales games.
I didn't see a rename option in Vesperia. I don't remember one in Abyss and Symphonia either but I have a bad memory about details like that. Does it change the dialog so when a character says another character's name, it's just blank or is the voice acting the same? That'd get confusing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Maybe I just got used to it, but I didn't have any problems with loading screens during Abyss.

MY problem was with the fact that the plot just kept stopping me. SO many times, it's like "Oh no, the bad guys know where we are!" and then nameless NPCs are like "QUICK, get out of here! We'll hold them off!" and then another NPC who was just introduced was like "I'll hold them back!!" and it's like COME ON, let me fight them! I just want to play, why do you guys keep sacrificing yourselves, I don't even know you! Let me play the game!

When the game lets you play it, it's really good, but it doesn't seem like it really wants you to play all that badly.

My other problem with the game was empty rooms. I'm in the Daath, on the upper floor. I'm going to go to the library place through one of the doors. Do I REALLY need FOUR empty, identical hallways between me and the library? These hallways don't server ANY purpose other than to make it take longer to get where I want to go.

I DREADED every time we had to go to Belkend because, invariably, we'd have to go into that research place. That place was just a maze of empty rooms, and each time I'd go there I'd wind up wandering around for a good ten minutes trying to figure out which of the identical rooms it wanted me to go through. That place should have been four rooms large, TOPS.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2010

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

I didn't see a rename option in Vesperia. I don't remember one in Abyss and Symphonia either but I have a bad memory about details like that. Does it change the dialog so when a character says another character's name, it's just blank or is the voice acting the same? That'd get confusing.

Abyss' name change was removed in the English release for whatever reason.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Abyss has terrible load times on the world map. If you try to fight exclusively in dungeons you should be good.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Abyss seems to have a lot of technical issues. I haven't really noticed loading screens so much as the overworld slowdown and ugly textures. The animations are kinda weird as well although maybe motion capture just wasn't as available back then, I don't remember. I can put up with a lot if the game is good though, and the voice acting is pretty great so far so that helps a lot. It sounds like the development company is pretty poorly managed though which might explain why it doesn't have the polish it should.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Games like Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia are all great games, but I think you're pretty damned if you play any of them out of order. Each game spoils you if you play the previously released ones.

A remake of Abyss with Vesperia's gameplay/graphics/loading times would probably be my ideal Tales game.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Ice Blue posted:

It's there, and they say the old name in the voice acting.

I remember because I renamed Karol to Will and for the most part the game handled it fine except with regards to that robot you can find in a sidequest (Barrelow X or whatever, after he renames himself after Karol). The robot was still called "Karolow X" in the little title bar for his dialogue bubbles, but "Willow X" in the actual dialogue. Someone obviously missed that one during testing.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Games like Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia are all great games, but I think you're pretty damned if you play any of them out of order. Each game spoils you if you play the previously released ones.

A remake of Abyss with Vesperia's gameplay/graphics/loading times would probably be my ideal Tales game.
I delayed playing Vesperia because I wanted to finish Abyss before getting spoiled by Vesperia's graphics and better load times and everything. But I never got around to finishing Abyss over the years so I was like gently caress it I might as well start ToV. I bought it at launch and only stayed days ago.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think Vesperia is sort of an anomaly in the Tales series. Every one is about some plucky young dude who gets in an adventure and all his friends help him out as he learns about the world and about himself, though perhaps the same could be said of all JRPGs.

But Vesperia is different in how Yuri is already a grown dude and we don't have to watch another character go through anime puberty. It was refreshing. Then they made Graces and went back to the kids on patrol. After Vesperia I really don't want to play a Tales game (or any game) like that. If that's the kind of game they want to make then I don't care if they stop making Tales games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Has Tales Studio and Bamco ever actually explained why they never let other companies localize the Tales games? I remember reading that both Atlus and NISA in the past have offered on various titles but they were always rejected.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Policenaut posted:

Has Tales Studio and Bamco ever actually explained why they never let other companies localize the Tales games? I remember reading that both Atlus and NISA in the past have offered on various titles but they were always rejected.

"If we can't do it, no one can do it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Tales is, far more then the other stuff that Namco-Bandai licenses to Atlus or NISA, a flagship title for Namco. They usually include direct references to Namco games or cameos by Namco characters or such. It's a lot more awkward and difficult then licensing a lovely Ar Tonelico or whatever, which at best makes references to other GUST games.

Super Robot Wars Original Generations Endless Frontier got away with using KOS-MOS and TELOS, but I recall hearing that was difficult for them to do. I imagine that whatever Namco-Bandai is asking for to localize Tales is more then NISA or Atlus is willing to pay or expect to get back.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Overbite posted:

I think Vesperia is sort of an anomaly in the Tales series. Every one is about some plucky young dude who gets in an adventure and all his friends help him out as he learns about the world and about himself, though perhaps the same could be said of all JRPGs.

But Vesperia is different in how Yuri is already a grown dude and we don't have to watch another character go through anime puberty. It was refreshing. Then they made Graces and went back to the kids on patrol. After Vesperia I really don't want to play a Tales game (or any game) like that. If that's the kind of game they want to make then I don't care if they stop making Tales games.

Yeah Yuri was one of the better Tales protagonists I've seen. It was quite unbearable playing Symphonia 2 after Vesperia. Nothing can ever prepare you for the amount of whining you see in ToS2.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Nate RFB posted:

Seconded. Abyss had the best characters (specifically their growth) and plot, of all of them.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Ice Blue posted:

PS3 version only. :smith:
I believe it was just start->"Skip scene? Yes/No"

McTimmy posted:

Abyss' name change was removed in the English release for whatever reason.

Symphonia as well. I was referring to Graces randomly not having name change in the Japanese version. Seems like a weird oversight.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I'm really liking Vesperia, it's fun and the dialogue is funny. I've only barely gotten Rita, though, so hopefully there's a lot more fun in store.

Some of this trophy poo poo is retarded, though. I've accidentally completed 2 secret missions so far, so I looked up what the hell they are. How would you know to do these things? Apparently you're also supposed to do a bunch of poo poo (that I missed) like use an identifying item on every enemy?

That's some crazy (and stupid) trophy poo poo right there.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Overbite posted:

I thought Abyss did a decent job of turning the formula around. Luke wasn't plucky. He's an rear end in a top hat. He shits on everything and is a naysayer. He's also pretty ignorant, like almost belligerently ignorant since he had so much pride. I felt that was a pretty interesting plot element. The plot twist was pretty well done as well even if it was somewhat obvious. I also thought Tear was a cool character. A strong, silent badass as the main chick instead of the standard naive princess. If anything Vesperia is more standard JRPG except the main character Yuri is the tough older dude with the heart of gold that follows the plucky young hero Karol around. Even the main chick is a naive princess. It's like as if Barret was the main character in FF7.

Arcaeris posted:

I'm really liking Vesperia, it's fun and the dialogue is funny. I've only barely gotten Rita, though, so hopefully there's a lot more fun in store.

Some of this trophy poo poo is retarded, though. I've accidentally completed 2 secret missions so far, so I looked up what the hell they are. How would you know to do these things? Apparently you're also supposed to do a bunch of poo poo (that I missed) like use an identifying item on every enemy?

Tell be about it. I forgot to use magic lens on the first 3 guys. I've done it ever since but I'm kinda pissed I missed so much poo poo at the start that gently caress up my chances at getting some achievements/costumes.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

I like the Magic Lens mechanic in Tales games. You use it on an unknown enemy and you learn everything about them, and the data is retained if you ever encounter the enemy again. You can even review your monster book to see which enemy dropped what in case you needed to get certain materials.

The secret missions aren't supposed to be obvious. Sometimes they have an effect during the boss fight, sometimes they do nothing at all. It's pretty cool when you get it randomly and it's not like you need to complete them all (unless you're an achievement whore).

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

I like the Magic Lens mechanic in Tales games. You use it on an unknown enemy and you learn everything about them, and the data is retained if you ever encounter the enemy again. You can even review your monster book to see which enemy dropped what in case you needed to get certain materials.

That's good except they expect you to use it on bosses, which typically in other games you cannot see the information for.

This is even better because the tutorial doesn't even tell you how to use items. So you'd have to know to use the item during the tutorial battle without ever being told how to use an item.

I don't think they ever covered crafting items from materials, either, I just happened to see something after buy/sell that I didn't recognize the characters for, and go look it up.

It just seems purposefully obtuse, which I guess makes sense for a Japanese game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Doesn't the synthesis info guy tell you about crafting equipment? He usually tells you about materials native to the area and what you could potentially make at that point of the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Arcaeris posted:

I don't think they ever covered crafting items from materials, either, I just happened to see something after buy/sell that I didn't recognize the characters for, and go look it up.

I'm almost positive the vendor in either the first or second town you visit in Vesperia explains item synthesis to you.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

Doesn't the synthesis info guy tell you about crafting equipment? He usually tells you about materials native to the area and what you could potentially make at that point of the game.

I didn't run into this guy until Asupio and his description had way too many kanji, so maybe that's why. I could synthesize before I talked to him, though.

After the first time in Asupio, he's in Haruru too.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I'm almost positive the vendor in either the first or second town you visit in Vesperia explains item synthesis to you.

Yeah it was part of a quest, no? You had to kill that eggbear to get a drop to synthesize a potion or something?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eddain posted:

Yeah it was part of a quest, no? You had to kill that eggbear to get a drop to synthesize a potion or something?

I couldn't remember at first but yeah that's it, although I think you could still synthesize earlier than that.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

I couldn't remember at first but yeah that's it, although I think you could still synthesize earlier than that.

Yeah, you could.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I was getting hopeful before E3 too. My roommate was the one who owned Vesperia and I was waiting to rebuy it (she's moved out since) for the PS3 version. I really like Flynn, and not just as a cool character but he's got the straight sword skill set that is always my favorite in Tales games. Tempest how I love thee. :allears:

It isn't like Yuri's are bad but sometimes you just want to Demon Fang something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mistaya posted:

I was getting hopeful before E3 too. My roommate was the one who owned Vesperia and I was waiting to rebuy it (she's moved out since) for the PS3 version. I really like Flynn, and not just as a cool character but he's got the straight sword skill set that is always my favorite in Tales games. Tempest how I love thee. :allears:
Isn't Tempest the terrible DS game that Namco was so ashamed of that they demoted from flagship to escort?

quote:

It isn't like Yuri's are bad but sometimes you just want to Demon Fang something.
Why Demon Fang when you can Azure Edge?

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Some Numbers posted:

Isn't Tempest the terrible DS game that Namco was so ashamed of that they demoted from flagship to escort?

Tempest is also a move used by some characters in the game. I know for sure Lloyd from ToS has a move called Tempest because Tipping Forties uses it all the time in their Let's Play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

WingsOfSteel posted:

Tempest is also a move used by some characters in the game. I know for sure Lloyd from ToS has a move called Tempest because Tipping Forties uses it all the time in their Let's Play.

He has an entire move line based on tempest. Tempest, Psi Tempest, Omega Tempest, Tempest Beast, and at least one more I can't remember right now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh RIGHT. THAT Tempest.

Eh, I was never as enamored of Tempest as my friend was.

Also, Flynn doesn't get Tempest.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Eddain posted:

The secret missions aren't supposed to be obvious. Sometimes they have an effect during the boss fight, sometimes they do nothing at all. It's pretty cool when you get it randomly and it's not like you need to complete them all (unless you're an achievement whore).
What bothers me about the Magic Lens is it's a pretty useless thing that you need to keep filling up on when you go to the store when it could easily just be an Arte like it was in ToS. It really loving sucks when you are low on lenses. I mean sure they drop all the time with some enemies but it's pretty dumb that you have to keep up with buying them just to fill out your monster book. It's a neat mechanic in theory but making it tied to an item that you have to constantly fill is poor design.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

What bothers me about the Magic Lens is it's a pretty useless thing that you need to keep filling up on when you go to the store when it could easily just be an Arte like it was in ToS. It really loving sucks when you are low on lenses. I mean sure they drop all the time with some enemies but it's pretty dumb that you have to keep up with buying them just to fill out your monster book. It's a neat mechanic in theory but making it tied to an item that you have to constantly fill is poor design.

It was an item in ToS too, unless you're talking about the PS2 version (where it was an arte, but most of us didn't play that).

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Ice Blue posted:

They're cheap as gently caress, you only have to use them once per enemy type (Dungeons usually have less than ten unique monster types), you can carry up to 20 at a time, and they are available in every town.

I'm not sure how it could be any more convenient, except for the game just telling you every enemy's HP.

If you're using Magic Lenses on every enemy in every encounter, you're not using them right.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Didn't Repede have some Tempest-like arte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So is Symphonia unplayable after Abyss then? I was thinking about grabbing it if I ended up liking Abyss.