Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dude I have no money and besides if I was going to a fest, it'd be Insub, where I care about most of the bands playing. For the Descendents though the level of care generated by one band outweighs the sheer apathy I feel for three quarters of the other bands.

Speaking of which, read my last post in the punk thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Also just a reminder loldance unironically enjoys Mest. Who's got dumb opinions now? And she told me 33 West was a good band and they were godawful.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Dickeye posted:

Dude I have no money and besides if I was going to a fest, it'd be Insub, where I care about most of the bands playing. For the Descendents though the level of care generated by one band outweighs the sheer apathy I feel for three quarters of the other bands.

Speaking of which, read my last post in the punk thread.

It's cute that you're assuming that I have money. Besides, Fest is just Insub plus like a million other great bands.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

It's cute that you're assuming that I have money. Besides, Fest is just Insub plus like a million other great bands.

Yeah but I honestly have no desire to go see 2/3s of the bands at Fest, for real. Lemme know when the band list goes up and I'll go through. If I get more than 6 or 7 bands, tops, I'll be surprised

e: Also, it's easier to get to B-more than it is to get to Gainesville from Syracuse

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Dickeye posted:

Yeah but I honestly have no desire to go see 2/3s of the bands at Fest, for real. Lemme know when the band list goes up and I'll go through. If I get more than 6 or 7 bands, tops, I'll be surprised

e: Also, it's easier to get to B-more than it is to get to Gainesville from Syracuse

You need to do better. Also, I live in San Francisco, so quit yer whinin

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Also I live in Baltimore and it is better :colbert:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Josh Wow posted:

Also just a reminder loldance unironically enjoys Mest. Who's got dumb opinions now? And she told me 33 West was a good band and they were godawful.

I once saw the lead singer of Mest fill in for John of Goldfinger because his voice was busted up for a concert. :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

You need to do better. Also, I live in San Francisco, so quit yer whinin

If Descendents end up playing I'll find a way

For real

I will literally walk from Utica NY to Gainesville if I have to

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

Josh Wow posted:

What's the dillio, why would you share that?!
But yeah definitely come down and stay with me. Although now that i live in a punk house you might have to deal with some crusties and house shows but my room is safe, i'll take care of you. I might even score you a free ticket if i feel like it.

Also Fest weekend is just a fun weekend no matter who is playing, if you dig just seeing live music and being around other people who enjoy the same. Don't know if anyone heard about the house show Bomb played where that cop got his face smashed into the road. (really though that sucked and was the first time i ever saw something go really dangerously wrong)

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T28uZMeDCY

How have I never heard this cover? It just popped up on my Pandora ska station. I love this poo poo out of this song. What are SNZ up to these days, anyway?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

loldance posted:

What's the dillio, why would you share that?!
But yeah definitely come down and stay with me. Although now that i live in a punk house you might have to deal with some crusties and house shows but my room is safe, i'll take care of you. I might even score you a free ticket if i feel like it.

Also Fest weekend is just a fun weekend no matter who is playing, if you dig just seeing live music and being around other people who enjoy the same. Don't know if anyone heard about the house show Bomb played where that cop got his face smashed into the road. (really though that sucked and was the first time i ever saw something go really dangerously wrong)

Oh no crusties and house shows, they might get me drunk and make me have fun! I wanna come to Fest anyway but I'm lazy, dangerously poor and I work like 60 hour weeks in the fall cause FOOTBALL! I'm planning on coming this year though, I'll probably even bring down a couple cases of homebrew so everybody in your house loves me. If you have a house show I'll bring down even more homebrew and sell that poo poo and pay for part of my trip which would be tits. Also just be glad I didn't tell everyone about the heine hole.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheezymadman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T28uZMeDCY

How have I never heard this cover? It just popped up on my Pandora ska station. I love this poo poo out of this song. What are SNZ up to these days, anyway?
That album came out a couple months ago, that's probably why.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Oh no crusties and house shows, they might get me drunk and make me have fun! I wanna come to Fest anyway but I'm lazy, dangerously poor and I work like 60 hour weeks in the fall cause FOOTBALL! I'm planning on coming this year though, I'll probably even bring down a couple cases of homebrew so everybody in your house loves me. If you have a house show I'll bring down even more homebrew and sell that poo poo and pay for part of my trip which would be tits. Also just be glad I didn't tell everyone about the heine hole.

pro-tip, bottle your poo poo in 40's since those are illegal here, so Floridians get a kick out of drinking out of a big ol' 40oz. And makes everyone who's out of town feel more at home

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Sorry, it's been a while since I got to post, so please tolerate my rambling.

davecrazy posted:

So pissed I missed this. How was it?

New Haven was pretty sweet place to be in the mid-late 1990's.

Best show I ever saw, any band, was SHJ a few weeks after Static World View was released at the Tune Inn.

I missed the tribute show after Dave died, and now missed the reunion show (which I had heard was going to happen). meh.

The reunion show was pretty sweet. I went to the Saturday show with We Are The Union and The Pietasters opening. I stood right in front of the horn section, and it's amazing looking up and seeing horn players for Less Than Jake, the Bosstones, and ex-RBF all playing together. (Tyler still likes the booze.) But SHJ killed it. Great set, covering everything I really wanted to hear including Jolene, Waiting, Watching, and Pop Song Green. And Coolie Ranx joined them onstage for Man of Tomorrow. And the girls from Tip The Van were standing off to the side of the stage, which is always a nice bonus. Great loving night.

Then a month or so ago, I went to see Sonic Boom Six/Knock Out/On Display at the Khyber in Philly. Tiny rear end show (40-50 people) and as soon as walk in I spot the girls from Tip the Van again. "What the hell are they doing at a show in Philly they're not playing?", I ask myself. Then, more confusingly, I spot Aaron Barrett, which actually causes me to pull a triple-take. Oh, and Sonic Boom Six are awesome live, in case you didn't already know.

In more concert news, go see Streetlight on their current tour. Here was their encore: Lineoleum, acoustic version of Sick and Sad, 12341234, The Big Sleep. Yes, you read that right. And with the show in Philly, they played Punk Rock Girl, as they needed to. Sadly, I got to the show late, and missed Dan Potthast. But I did get to buy his new album full of his "city songs", and I asked if that MU330 Halloween album is ever coming out. He said he's hoping, but there hasn't been any progress.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The things I would do in order to see them play Big Sleep are atrocious at best.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

The things I would do in order to see them play Big Sleep are atrocious at best.

Fixed that for my situation. Just to see them. I don't care if they just played Point/Counterpoint all night.

EDIT: Finally got 99 Songs Of Revolution (Volume One), and goddamn it's amazing. The cover of Just is as good as the Hell cover.

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 28, 2010

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
Pietasters are playing a free show at a local park next weekend. :woop:

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

Tell me if they're boring like the last three times i've seen them! or if they're decent again

The Know How are having a "reunion" show in Gainesville this Saturday. Should be pretty fun.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Fffffuck I cannot wait for Streetlight to come to Britain. They were like my gateway drug into ska and seeing them live would be the greatest thing.

On a related note, has there been any talk about Vol. 2 of 99SoR? I can't find anything on their site relating to it at all.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

AXE COP posted:

On a related note, has there been any talk about Vol. 2 of 99SoR? I can't find anything on their site relating to it at all.

Give it 6 or 7 years and we might have a release date.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Josh Wow posted:

Give it 6 or 7 years and we might have a release date.

Figured as much. :(

(Nice avatar by the way)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

LTJ played the entirety of Losing Streak at Insub, minus two songs and it was gloriously epic!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Bomb the Music Industry just announced the dates for their summer tour the other day, it's on their tumblr page. I'll definitely be going to the Cleveland date.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Just pumpin myself up before I see streetlight tomorrow! That is all.

Also, I'll most likely be hitting up one of those BTMI dates, as I've just really started getting into them.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Aardvark Barber posted:

Also, I'll most likely be hitting up one of those BTMI dates, as I've just really started getting into them.

I will not be because I've got already Modest Mouse tickets the only day they're close to me. BtMI is on the list of bands I will never catch because the universe doesn't want me to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Once again BtMI is absolutely nowhere near me

Son of a bitch

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Dickeye posted:

Once again BtMI is absolutely nowhere near me

Son of a bitch

I'm excited they're coming to a city 400 miles away form me because thats the farthest I ever see ska bands go in Texas.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I will not be because I've got already Modest Mouse tickets the only day they're close to me. BtMI is on the list of bands I will never catch because the universe doesn't want me to.

I've also got Modest Mouse tickets but BTMI is playing a day before them for me. How jealous are you? :smug:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

If anybody lives near Nashville Taj is opening up for Reel Big Fish this Saturday at the Exit/In. The Beat Officers are also playing, they're a newish Nashville band that has Ben who set up Ska Weekend on trumpet. Definitely looking forward to seeing them.

Also:

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 7, 2010

pariah99
Feb 14, 2010
If anybody is nearby: Mustard Plug is playing a free concert tonight at the Memorial Union Terrace here in Madison, WI.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"That Band with the Fat Kids"

Nice

Also gently caress both of you no good shows etc, I'm just killing time till the 17th. Ithaca Underground is putting on a show and 4point0 is playing, then they're playing again with RazSum the next night in Syracuse, adn a week after that is Fatter Than Albert.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Josh Wow posted:

hahaha is that the band with the racist singer who got basically blacklisted from some city because one of them hosed a FSU guy's little sister?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Sugar Blaster posted:

hahaha is that the band with the racist singer who got basically blacklisted from some city because one of them hosed a FSU guy's little sister?

I'm not sure but our drummer and their drummer both hosed the same chick (supposedly).

Mest: 1
Taj: 1

Also I think their singer may have stabbed somebody to death or something. I dunno.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You guys need to get up to Syracuse sometime so I can finally see you play.

e: Get up there again I mean, since the last two times I was out of town.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bumping because DOWNLOAD DAY 4 HELL YEAH COMMUNITY RECORDS WOOOO

quote:

DOWNLOAD DAY 4
THURSDAY AUGUST 19

New free jamz from:
A BILLION ERNIES
INFORMANT
MADDIE RUTHLESS & The Secret Affair
SLAUGHTERHOUSE CHORUS
CHRIS REHM (singer from caddywhompus - solo)
PERICLES
+ probably more TBA

And look at this loving poster for the summer tour hell yes

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in this thread in like 2 years. Oops.

Does anyone know how in the blue hell to get in touch with Jeff Rosenstock from Bomb the Music Industry? I've wanted to film one of their shows for years and after just realizing that they're playing at Europa in Brooklyn its the perfect opportunity. Anyone have any ideas or should I just do it through their booking email?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

seventeen posted:

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in this thread in like 2 years. Oops.

Does anyone know how in the blue hell to get in touch with Jeff Rosenstock from Bomb the Music Industry? I've wanted to film one of their shows for years and after just realizing that they're playing at Europa in Brooklyn its the perfect opportunity. Anyone have any ideas or should I just do it through their booking email?

You don't have PMs and I don't wanna just post his poo poo up here. Give me an email address and I'll send you his email address. I'm not positive he still checks it but he probably does, I haven't sent him an email since last february.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
Speaking of BTMI!, I know everyone loves them and they're perfect and everything, but is it worth it to go see them if you haven't heard any of their music? I ask because I'm thinking about going, and while I love them and think they're great, my friend has never heard them at all and I don't want to go alone. Will he enjoy one of their shows or is it not worth it if he's never heard their music?

He likes a lot of punk and listens to Streetlight and LTJ, if that helps.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Syphilicious! posted:

Speaking of BTMI!, I know everyone loves them and they're perfect and everything, but is it worth it to go see them if you haven't heard any of their music? I ask because I'm thinking about going, and while I love them and think they're great, my friend has never heard them at all and I don't want to go alone. Will he enjoy one of their shows or is it not worth it if he's never heard their music?

He likes a lot of punk and listens to Streetlight and LTJ, if that helps.

If he loves great shows, he'll love them. I'm a huge fan of BTMI! but when Scrambles came out, it didn't grab me right away. I saw their release show for it in Brooklyn and it blew me away, it was like something clicked. I also took my girlfriend to a recent show of theirs. She had never listened to them, but ended up really liking the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Am I the only one who really dislikes BTMI? I downloaded all their albums from their site and goddamn all they do is injure my eardrums. Are they really magical live or have I missed their good albums or what?