Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

A few things:
I just tried using 'Reply' with the Quick Reply box, and it didn't post; maybe because I was the last person to respond to the thread? I hit Preview Reply to post this.
Make the Quick Reply post drag/droppable, so we can move it out of the way if it's obscuring a post.
Make the Quick Reply box resize if we resize the textarea.
If you quote one post, add a response, then click quote for another post to insert that one, it wipes your response out, and leaves the two quoted posts in the textarea. Might want to fix that, as Ctrl + Z won't restore your response :(

I had that "submit and not post" issue earlier. I'm not entirely sure what could be the culprit.

As for making the box movable, I was actually considering just making it dockable so that it will be tabbed at the bottom of the page if you want to "hide" it. Might be possible to make it configurable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

I had that "submit and not post" issue earlier. I'm not entirely sure what could be the culprit.

As for making the box movable, I was actually considering just making it dockable so that it will be tabbed at the bottom of the page if you want to "hide" it. Might be possible to make it configurable though.
Looking at your quote, it looks like it didn't copy my list tags in the post either :P

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Did you change hosting again? I forced an update and I'm still on 0.5.3.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Been looking at your code and trying to make a few changes to try and get a few things you've suggested working: Do you have AIM? My name's the same as my forum name, it'd be cool to chat about a few things.

EDIT:- Also, I'm guessing github isn't up to date? A lot of these files don't appear to have been updated in a while!

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 28, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So problem with Quick Reply, if a post has been edited, it includes the "So and so hosed around with this message" as regular text.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Did you change hosting again? I forced an update and I'm still on 0.5.3.

Negative, still on Google's host and that won't be changing anytime soon.

Rohaq posted:

Been looking at your code and trying to make a few changes to try and get a few things you've suggested working: Do you have AIM? My name's the same as my forum name, it'd be cool to chat about a few things.

EDIT:- Also, I'm guessing github isn't up to date? A lot of these files don't appear to have been updated in a while!

Yeah I'll hit you up on AIM. Mine is Twiggy794.

As for Github, it's very up to date. The project is about a year old so you're bound to find a lot of old files in there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

So problem with Quick Reply, if a post has been edited, it includes the "So and so hosed around with this message" as regular text.

Mentioned last page.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Casao posted:

I'm going to do some work on the quick reply feature to make it a little smarter when it comes to post content, but not right now; watch this space! :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

I'm going to do some work on the quick reply feature to make it a little smarter when it comes to post content, but not right now; watch this space! :)

Worth noting that he has already made the statefulness of the quick reply box much more pleasant to use. Next update should be a good one.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
The quick reply box looks great!

Uhoh! Also feels great, but maybe just a little bit too big, maybe make it like the real reply, resizeable?

You are going to move quick reply onto the jump menu instead of "REPLY" right? If not I'd like to request that :)

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Mr. Fish posted:

Uhoh! Also feels great, but maybe just a little bit too big, maybe make it like the real reply, resizeable?

You are going to move quick reply onto the jump menu instead of "REPLY" right? If not I'd like to request that :)
Looking at this, it looks like this may be doable :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fish posted:

You mean on the page navigator? It could be done.

Rohaq posted:

Looking at this, it looks like this may be doable :)

This should be doable without jQuery UI, not entirely sure how though.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ferg posted:

This should be doable without jQuery UI, not entirely sure how though.
Maybe, but it looks a lot cleaner in jQuery, by the looks.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

Maybe, but it looks a lot cleaner in jQuery, by the looks.

jQuery would do it, but what you linked was jQuery UI. I think. If that transform can be applied without the ugly jqUI UI's then by all means.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Ferg posted:

You mean on the page navigator? It could be done.

Yea, that, I mean it makes sense, since that's always pretty handy, and sometimes I like to use the normal reply-page.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Testing quick reply.

edit: It worked, clearly.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fish posted:

Yea, that, I mean it makes sense, since that's always pretty handy, and sometimes I like to use the normal reply-page.

I'm a little skeptical about leaving the normal page available. It would be a bit of a jarring experience for the user in my opinion.

That being said, I don't have any plans to allow Quick Reply to make new threads right now. So that will always be the normal page :D

SLOSifl posted:

Testing quick reply.

edit: It worked, clearly.

Woooooo

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ferg posted:

Woooooo
You're doing good work, Ferg.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
When I used it, it said that I successfully made a post, but nothing showed up.

using latest salr and 6.0.447.0 chrome

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

brylcreem posted:

You're doing good work, Ferg.

Thankya sir. There are a lot of contributions though, not all me, not by a longshot.

Hung Yuri posted:

When I used it, it said that I successfully made a post, but nothing showed up.

using latest salr and 6.0.447.0 chrome

Yeah I've seen this happen too. No idea what might be up. When this happens, are you waiting a particularly long time to post or anything? Dismissing the box in the interim?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Ferg posted:

Yeah I've seen this happen too. No idea what might be up. When this happens, are you waiting a particularly long time to post or anything? Dismissing the box in the interim?

Nope, I might open the thread itself and not look at it and look at the other tabs I open (usually click open all new threads button on the control panel), but I don't keep the window up very long before posting and I don't dismiss it. I wish I could move the quick reply window however.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Also testing the Quick Reply here.

Edit: It worked!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Hung Yuri posted:

Nope, I might open the thread itself and not look at it and look at the other tabs I open (usually click open all new threads button on the control panel), but I don't keep the window up very long before posting and I don't dismiss it. I wish I could move the quick reply window however.
Dismiss just hides the box anyway: Everything it is is still there, but you just can't see it - It shouldn't affect it.

EDIT:- Speaking of which, did you leave the page open for a long time before using Quick Reply? Because the box is created on the page load, and is just revealed when you hit a quote/reply button - Idling on the page a long time before posting might have an effect.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Rohaq posted:

Dismiss just hides the box anyway: Everything it is is still there, but you just can't see it - It shouldn't affect it.

EDIT:- Speaking of which, did you leave the page open for a long time before using Quick Reply? Because the box is created on the page load, and is just revealed when you hit a quote/reply button - Idling on the page a long time before posting might have an effect.

Yes, I usually wait until theres a few threads unread then click to open them all at once and read them one at a time, so maybe 5-10 minutes?

Can't you make it generate on click instead of a page load? It would make it in line with the firefox version (though sometimes that one has issues loading at all at random times)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hung Yuri posted:

Current developmental version has a rollup/rolldown feature that Rohaq wrote last night. Does the job nicely of making it portable. I honestly think moving it around within the browser window would be worse than docking it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Just to let you know; I am doing some sexy things to Quick Reply right now that I think you guys might quite like. Just ironing out a few bugs and need to work with Ferg to implement some of the functionality :)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The quick reply is great.

Any chance it could be set to pop up with a keystroke (like pressing 'R' in the Firefox extension)?

Other suggestion: the could the Submit button be the first item when you hit the Tab key, like in the traditional reply screen?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Any chance it could be set to pop up with a keystroke (like pressing 'R' in the Firefox extension)?

Other suggestion: the could the Submit button be the first item when you hit the Tab key, like in the traditional reply screen?
I think that if we changed the tabindex of the form elements, that might work.

As for key shortcuts - I'm not sure, beyond checking every keypress event when not focused in a textarea/form input and checking the actual key pressed, although I can foresee that being rather buggy.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Testing tabindex modification.

Edit: Consider it added, to the development version on my machine, at least!: I'll push it as soon as I get this additional functionality to the Quick Reply feature working.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 29, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm also getting issues with my name being highlighted (specifically quotes), it's highlighted fine here but not in some other threads.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hung Yuri posted:

I'm also getting issues with my name being highlighted (specifically quotes), it's highlighted fine here but not in some other threads.

Can you link me to the posts? Might be a goof up in the parser for username highlighting.

Aatrek posted:

Yes and yes.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Ferg posted:

Can you link me to the posts? Might be a goof up in the parser for username highlighting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320614&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=94#post378944280
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320614&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=94#post378944294

neither show up the way they should

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Works fine for me, though I'm using a development build right now. It's possible something got messed up when I refactored the settings page. Try re-saving the username in there and see if that works, otherwise I'll try and get an updated build out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Could we have an option to turn off the "Bookmark Thread" option in the Quick reply box?

Edit: (meaning, not have it checked by default. I suck at English)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Could we have an option to turn off the "Bookmark Thread" option in the Quick reply box?

Edit: (meaning, not have it checked by default. I suck at English)

It's done. I think I'll roll out a minor update tomorrow with some of these changes, mainly to address a number of annoyances that have been cropping up.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Ferg posted:

Works fine for me, though I'm using a development build right now. It's possible something got messed up when I refactored the settings page. Try re-saving the username in there and see if that works, otherwise I'll try and get an updated build out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Doesn't work, tried putting my old username then this one (Hung Yuri) as is and it just works in here and in Games.

edit: Name highlighting works fine, just not quotes it seems as I see my own name highlighted in my post.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ferg posted:

It's done. I think I'll roll out a minor update tomorrow with some of these changes, mainly to address a number of annoyances that have been cropping up.

The man. You are it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hung Yuri posted:

Doesn't work, tried putting my old username then this one (Hung Yuri) as is and it just works in here and in Games.

edit: Name highlighting works fine, just not quotes it seems as I see my own name highlighted in my post.

Alright, I'll roll out an update tomorrow and we'll see if that fixes it. I did make changes after the update which refactored the settings page and never actually rolled them out. I think the username field was part of that.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Constellation I posted:

Great work! I think I'm on my way to fully converting to Chrome from Firefox, but there's a few minor issues that I miss from the FF SALR.

For the page navigator, is it possible to have the "last read" button on there? It's pretty handy if you have a tab open for awhile and when you click on it, it takes you to the newest posts.

Also, is it also possible to make the page navigator buttons able to be middle-clicked (so as to be opened in a new tab). It's pretty handy sometimes.

Hey Ferg, just quoting myself here just to ask if these are reasonable requests. Loving the extension, but these are probably the things I miss from the Firefox extension the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Constellation I posted:

Hey Ferg, just quoting myself here just to ask if these are reasonable requests. Loving the extension, but these are probably the things I miss from the Firefox extension the most.

Yes to the "jump to last read" button, although I'll need to work out the math involved. Can you post this up on uservoice? Best way to keep me from forgetting a request ;)

As for the middle click, let me see what I can do for tomorrow's release. If it's the solution I'm thinking it should only take a few minutes.

Edit: This will take a little bit of work. Throw this up on uservoice as well and I'll get to it when I can.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 29, 2010

• Locked thread