Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
None of these vetoed ideas hold a candle to the mouse myth that never was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's nice to see Sig actually show a little compassion for once. I understand the need to keep your crew working hard, but more often than not Sig's a complete loving rear end in a top hat. Especially to Edgar. The man's your loving brother, and you're laughing over the intercom at his pain? gently caress you, Sig.

And jesus christ, there isn't a :smith: big enough for the Cornelia Marie scenes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's nice to see Sig actually show a little compassion for once. I understand the need to keep your crew working hard, but more often than not Sig's a complete loving rear end in a top hat. Especially to Edgar. The man's your loving brother, and you're laughing over the intercom at his pain? gently caress you, Sig.

And jesus christ, there isn't a :smith: big enough for the Cornelia Marie scenes.

Dude Sig would take a bullet for Edgar and vice versa.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Dude Sig would take a bullet for Edgar and vice versa.

Seriously. I'd take a bullet for my brother and vice versa, and we'd also rag on each other mercilessly in the same situation. It's a brother thing, it's what we do.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

I want to say Adam has also mentioned wanting to do Monster Cable but it got vetoed.

What's that one?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TL posted:

What's that one?

I'm assuming that it would have been about how Monster Cable doesn't actually do anything different. It just costs a hell of a lot more. Even though it would have been interesting I can kind of see why they didn't do it since it doesn't really fit in to their milieu.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Minto Took posted:

It was in the eulogy Thom Beers wrote.

If the producer of the show wrote his eulogy, I think it's safe to say that Phil wanted the "Deadliest Catch" crew documenting any and every single thing they wanted.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm assuming that it would have been about how Monster Cable doesn't actually do anything different. It just costs a hell of a lot more. Even though it would have been interesting I can kind of see why they didn't do it since it doesn't really fit in to their milieu.

Well it sort of does, but it's getting more into Bullshit! territory than Mythbusters, I guess. I'd still like to see them, or someone, do it though, or a "$500 stereo vs $50,000 audiophile stereo," or "MP3 vs. CD."

Have they done a HFCS episode? There seems to be a decent amount of confusion out there good and bad.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

IRQ posted:

Well it sort of does, but it's getting more into Bullshit! territory than Mythbusters, I guess. I'd still like to see them, or someone, do it though, or a "$500 stereo vs $50,000 audiophile stereo," or "MP3 vs. CD."

There's way too many variables for the latter. I have 192kbps rips that are indistinguishable from CD audio, and 224kbps rips that are loaded to poo poo with MP3 swishiness.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There's way too many variables for the latter. I have 192kbps rips that are indistinguishable from CD audio, and 224kbps rips that are loaded to poo poo with MP3 swishiness.

Yeah I know, it's just such a common and stupid argument since a well encoded mp3 really isn't distinguishable from a cd. I guess I can't expect people to only get -aps or -v0 or whatever though.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 26, 2010

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IRQ posted:

The latter was done over the years several times by various audio publications via double-blind-tests and generally if the mp3 is done with a decent codec/some care of what you convert it's indistinguishable from a CD except for very special tracks (which work against the mp3-psychoacoustic-algorithms) at around 164 kbr (depending on codec, vbr/cbr etc), even on stereo systems costing seven-digit dollar amounts. However it is something that's pretty difficult (and boring) to do on TV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know that but most people still insist otherwise. I wouldn't even be suggesting it if I thought CDs/Monster Cables/etc were actually better.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 25, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

testing 10 cent/foot versus $3000/foot speaker cable would be easy as hell and you could probably make good TV out of it. It's been done several times in amateur situations but as long as Monster Cable represents a major percentage of Best Buy's gross margin it won't be on Mythbusters.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it would be hard to make interesting. Double-blind listening tests aren't exactly riveting. I guess they could demo the whole concept of double-blind on the audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe they could do something about energy drinks. Since they could do both objective and subjective tests. It especially seems like something that they'd put Tory through making him drink a bunch of energy drinks until he spazzes out.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
But Tory already spazzes out as it is.

[bicyclejumpfaceplant.gif]

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

IRQ posted:

I want to say Adam has also mentioned wanting to do Monster Cable but it got vetoed.

Hopefully Bullshit! will at least pick it up. It'd be nice for the general populous to finally get wise to their poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

smackfu posted:

I think it would be hard to make interesting. Double-blind listening tests aren't exactly riveting. I guess they could demo the whole concept of double-blind on the audience.
They could be, especially if you mislead the subjects and record 5 minutes of them waxing poetic about "holographic imaging" and "relaxed" sound from the 10 cent cable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A bit behind the times since a couple of days have passed since it aired, but here is a radio interview that Captain Phil's son Josh did with a local Seattle radio show.
They are friends with captain Keith and he's on the show frequently so I'm used to hearing them talk about Deadliest Catch, apparently a friend of Josh's heard them discussing his dad on the radio and asked him to call in.

A pretty good listen.
http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=108&sid=335547

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
For some reason the Mythbusters Top 25 clip show has been played on Discovery Canada already even though it's new (normally like 3 months behind in new episodes for some reason), and it's actually pretty good thanks to all the specific interviews. It again serves as a reminder to amaze me at the sheer depth of their archival catalogues and the editing prowess that stitches it all together so smoothly. They've got A/V wizards on that job.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was amazed by how crappy the CGI interview backgrounds were.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

smackfu posted:

I was amazed by how crappy the CGI interview backgrounds were.

I think those were intentionally kinda lovely airbrushed. I don't know why, but no way they were trying to pass those off as awesome right? Right?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
no one wants to talk about tonights episode of deadliest catch? I really wish they did all the phil stuff in 1 episode, its just tough watching this every week

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MrDingleDangle posted:

no one wants to talk about tonights episode of deadliest catch? I really wish they did all the phil stuff in 1 episode, its just tough watching this every week

Setting down to watch it shortly. This season's been brutal and really depressing across the board and knowing Phil died was just a black cloud hanging over all of it. I've been very compelled the entire season but its just a string of bad luck this season that is kicking everyone's rear end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MrDingleDangle posted:

Well they said the last 6 episodes will focus on Phil, so you got 4 more.

Pretty depressing stuff. Sig throwing the pack of cigs across the wheel house and then slamming off the light got to me for some reason.

My dad had a massive thalamic (sp?) bleed a year and a half ago and seeing your dad in that kind of position is the worst thing ever. Especially because, and a lot of people don't realize, stroke victims become illogically emotional. Lots of sobbing crying usually. They don't ever remember it and it's clearly the brain freaking out, but when you're in that situation it is remarkably dark times and even if someone tells you "don't worry this is normal for stroke victims" it still eats at you :(.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Holy poo poo the last 5 minutes.

Knowing we've got another month of this just makes it all the worse. The fact that the next however many episodes are going to show Phil getting better and improving just make it loving heartbreaking because you know what is coming in that last episode.

Also, Jake Anderson is absolutely tortured right now. I feel for that kid more than anyone else, because he's lost/losing his dad as well and he's essentially on the backburner. I'm not trying to weigh one life over the other but you have to feel for him here, its just been incredibly unfair for him in the last 2 seasons.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
I typically have nothing but annoyance at anything involving Captain Keith. The guy just strikes me as a monstrous whiney douche bag.

However, it was god damned heartbreaking seeing him lose it when he heard the news about Phil.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was pretty sad to watch. Knowing how the whole thing turns out makes it even more :smith:

I hate that they had to put that Coors Light ad at the end though.

And Keith is usually a pretty massive douchebag but whenever there's news about a boat going down or some kind of an emergency involving a fellow fisherman that dude turns into a wobbly pile of tears which makes him slightly bearable.

Edit: typo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Jake Anderson's reaction was probably the most heartbreaking for me, because he was already dealing with a crappy situation. I really hope the crew of the NW start to ease up on him, at least after they see this footage, if they don't before the end of the season.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

On last week's After the Catch, haring Jake talk about working through his pain because his family was counting on him more than ever, combined with the stuff about going out and getting some kind of big-deal boating license on his own time while guys twice his age are still bog-standard deckhands, makes him my favorite dude ever on the whole show. He looks like a wallflower but he's got the heart of a warrior.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I don't understand why you guys don't like Keith. He captains his boat the same style as John/Andy Hillstrand except he doesn't hide it as well and Keith treats his greenhorns like poo poo. That's it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 30, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
To be fair, Keith has had the worst greenhorns out of all the boats.

He attitude didn't help but it was clear to see that Moi, for instance, just wasn't pulling his weight or even trying.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

McSpanky posted:

On last week's After the Catch, haring Jake talk about working through his pain because his family was counting on him more than ever, combined with the stuff about going out and getting some kind of big-deal boating license on his own time while guys twice his age are still bog-standard deckhands, makes him my favorite dude ever on the whole show. He looks like a wallflower but he's got the heart of a warrior.

Sig also told him that if he had a son, he would want him to be just like him. The smile that came over his face made me smile a little.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Strange Matter posted:

He attitude didn't help but it was clear to see that Moi, for instance, just wasn't pulling his weight or even trying.

I think the Wizard probably has a reputation at this point of being a bit of an rear end in a top hat packed deathtrap.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Strange Matter posted:

For a while I actually thought the Time Bandit guys were bigger douchebags ("we occasionally fire people just because we get tired of them"). But considering that the guy they were tired of was Russell, and then seeing the way they're grooming Mike to be the future captain of the Time Bandit, I think they're really just looking out for their business. The easy choice for the elder Hillstrands' replacement would be Scotty, but they know he's not cut out to captain the boat.

The Phil stuff is really hard to watch. As coarse and gruff as he could seem, I genuinely liked the guy. You know that his family and crew were the most important things in the world to him. I don't tear up easily, but it was tough not to get a lump in my throat when they showed the other captains reacting to news of his stroke.

:smith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

badjohny posted:

Sig also told him that if he had a son, he would want him to be just like him. The smile that came over his face made me smile a little.

poo poo yeah, that was the biggest :unsmith: moment ever.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I've softened up to Keith quite a bit this year. He can still be a dick but he seems like he has a pretty big heart.

I like Andy but there's something so dickish about Jonathan that I'll never like. Fortner's a pretty good guy, though.

Phil was like a big teddy bear. He was a hardass because of the job, not because that's who he was off the ship. The CM crew gets along great outside of the occasional brother fight. They get along way better than anyone else's crew.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Opie season seems brutal this year. The Kodiak has SIX more deliveries to make? It's already cold as poo poo and it looks like next week the icepack starts closing in.

It's probably a clip show, but my Tivo guide is showing a new episode of Mythbusters tonight, although its listed as "Mythbusters Buster's Cut" in the guide, so my season pass isn't picking it up.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It looks like Mythbusters was a repeat with some popup video style "facts" provided by Buster in a director's chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's three episodes in a row now that have been clip shows. I have to say, I really don't like this trend.

• Locked thread