Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Not gonna lie. Might prefer that over Wainwright again.

See one place you have to wear a uniform, keep your area clean, everything in your day is scheduled, you are told what to do when to do it and, how to do it. The other place is prison.

But actually I know a friend who went there(Hizawk knows him, they were on the same DP1). It was the worst experience of his life ( even compared to infantry school). He had to ask to make moment, turn a corner. Some times the guards "wouldn't" hear you scream it out to take the corner. From what I hear he also got beat, but that "never" happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Thinking of joining the Canadian Armed Forces if nothing goes my way later in my life. Y/N? I support the cause (sometimes) but at other times some of the poo poo that North American armies do is just stupid as hell and completely dim-witted.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Join army, sign contract for four years, get a skillset that works good in civilian world, get out, become a fat cat greasy civy, laugh to bank.

Or if you hate your knees, join the infantry.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fraser CDN posted:

See one place you have to wear a uniform, keep your area clean, everything in your day is scheduled, you are told what to do when to do it and, how to do it. The other place is prison.

But actually I know a friend who went there(Hizawk knows him, they were on the same DP1). It was the worst experience of his life ( even compared to infantry school). He had to ask to make moment, turn a corner. Some times the guards "wouldn't" hear you scream it out to take the corner. From what I hear he also got beat, but that "never" happened.

I knew a SNCO that had a small stint at Club Ed. He said it completely changed him as a person, as asking permission for everything but bodily functions really fucks with your mind.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Fire Above posted:

Or if you hate your knees, sense of self worth, any sleep regime, back, ankles, and health in general, join the infantry.

On the plus side, you do get to shoot a lot of things (even if the majority of the time in training it's just blanks.

40% finished IODP1.1 - I ... I thought I knew what sleep deprivation was, but then I ran into the defensive module, and my mind was bloooooown. Wednesday morning through the next Wednesday afternoon, and in there somewhere was a stretch of six days with less than two hours accumulated sleep (taken at your own peril, no less). Still, I'm kind of pissed off that I didn't have any hallucinations like some of the guys. :catdrugs:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Brace posted:

Thinking of joining the Canadian Armed Forces if nothing goes my way later in my life. Y/N? I support the cause (sometimes) but at other times some of the poo poo that North American armies do is just stupid as hell and completely dim-witted.

Do this, but do it with a trade. Like the other poster, get a trade and come out of your service with something useful. Only go infantry if you're really gung-ho/deadset on being a soldier

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

On the plus side, you do get to shoot a lot of things (even if the majority of the time in training it's just blanks.

40% finished IODP1.1 - I ... I thought I knew what sleep deprivation was, but then I ran into the defensive module, and my mind was bloooooown. Wednesday morning through the next Wednesday afternoon, and in there somewhere was a stretch of six days with less than two hours accumulated sleep (taken at your own peril, no less). Still, I'm kind of pissed off that I didn't have any hallucinations like some of the guys. :catdrugs:

We were doing a circle defense in basic on sleep dep week. My buddy next to me goes, um is that a skeleton dancing over there. I started to laugh while trying to tell him no. I think I got 2 hours in 4 days. Dam that was fun, I wish I could redo that week. I loved it.

edit: My friend on his defensive ex saw chicken Mcnuggets coming towards his trench. He didn't shoot cause he was hungry. I love hearing the stories from GD who just were helping on a defensive ex. Yea I went up to their trench and just walked off the with C9/C6/C7 tac vest/ ruck.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 19, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I could have sworn I saw an old sailing ship coming at me over the plains of Meaford. When I was supposed to be sleeping, I was trying to fix my loving C9 because the drat thing jammed up after 2 rounds.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

In a few days I'm handing in my completed application. I was originally going to apply for an Engineer or Soldier position but those seem to be all full so I was looking around and thought signal operator looked fairly interesting. Can anyone give me some insight into that trade or suggest another?

E: Also, I don't suppose there is any loophole or something to get into Infantry or Engineer even though the recruiter said it's closed?

LemonAIDS fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 20, 2010

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Nooo, Signals eats up another soul.

If you enjoy radios, not actually doing your job overseas, instead doing gate, incompetent leadership, being a staff driver, working at Brigade HQ, and lots of cock, join the siggies. I dunno, every sig I met was like the spergiest douchebag or completely miserable. But there's a couple sigs poking around here so they could probably tell you more than me.

Engineer is full up too? God drat. No loopholes that I'm aware of, you either or wait until a spot opens up or find another trade. If you're wanting to stay in a long rear end time, do something you like and don't opt out for "hmm maybe sigs" so it'd be worth it to wait. If you're only going do your four years you would probably be better off getting a trade of some kind. But it's up to you and your likes and interests. If you're hard pressed and need a job like yesterday, then yeah you might have to take whatever is available to you at the moment.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag

LemonAIDS posted:

I was looking around and thought signal operator looked fairly interesting. Can anyone give me some insight into that trade or suggest another?

What did the recruiter tell you about Sig Op? Did he bring out the ol' "Oh, it's like Infantry, but you carry a radio," chestnut?

I'm at an armored regiment, and the Sig Ops seem to do mostly IS (Information Systems, desktop computer) stuff in garisson. Out in the field, they set up their radio trucks and do radio shifts and keep the coffee machine going. I would not want their job. Sig Ops at an Infantry regiment might have a bit more excitement, and Sig Ops at Comms/HQ Squadrons might get higher speed training and courses.

However, the three main signals trades (Signal Operator, Lineman, Land Communication and Information Systems (LCIS) Technician) are supposed to be amalgamating soon. On paper, this means that you'll join as a generic Signals guy, and depending on your abilities and interests, you will go to one of the three streams (Operator, Lineman, Tech). In actuality, they'll probably just feed people into whatever trade needs people the most.

This amalgamation will mostly affect new recruits, and those of us who are already in should ideally stay where we are. As an LCIS Tech, I'm already where I want to be, so I haven't looked too closely at this whole thing.

If you're interested in the Signals Corps, I suggest you request to speak to a recruiter who is in Sigs, familiar with the upcoming amalgamation plans, and knows what he's talking about. No sense talking to some Navy Supply Tech whose only info about Sigs is what he himself read on the recruiting pamphlet.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

ThalidomEid posted:

:words:

The recruiter I talked to was a Sig Op. Between him and the website, I'm told Sig Ops are in charge of setting up/maintaining communications on the field, operate communication equipment, and wouldn't end up being stuck in an office 24/7. It just seems like something that would interest me but like I said, I'm not dead set on Sig Ops and am willing to look into trades you guys would suggest. Also I'd appreciate some info on what those jobs do rather than listen to recruiters. One recruiter tried to convince me to sign up as a sonar operator because "It's just like the hunt for red October!:v:"

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Most people that I know in the Forces like their trade, but hate the random garrison/chain of command bullshit. All SigOps that I know hate their job, the people they work with and the garrison/chain of command bullshit.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

LemonAIDS posted:

The recruiter I talked to was a Sig Op. Between him and the website

There is where you went wrong. Hell the recruiters asked me if I liked camping( for infantry). Be aware that some recruiters are bias and will tell you anything to make you sign up, or to sign up as their trade. One my my Mcpls on my DP1 was going to be Arty, the recruiter said no go infantry ( the recruiter was infantry). So he did. As said earlier for some reason sigs are assholes, now sure why. Ive met a handful and they were douches.

Talking about recruiters, I hate them. They are lazy fucks who don't know how to do their job. After being through the system once I totally have lost a lot of respect for these people. They tend to lose EVERYTHING, and just screw up so much. They never return calls, and even if you tell them the information they need they wont listen to you (retrieving my med documents, I told them where they were, the phone number, the extension, and they didn't listen). I have to wait and wait and wait for people to actually do their job. I know its a military thing, doing as little work as possible to get by, but seriously, some motivation and work ethic would go a long way.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 22, 2010

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

LemonAIDS posted:

One recruiter tried to convince me to sign up as a sonar operator because "It's just like the hunt for red October!:v:"

Dude, you can totally see underwater!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

LemonAIDS posted:

One recruiter tried to convince me to sign up as a sonar operator because "It's just like the hunt for red October!:v:"

Well, its kinda close if you go Subs. Minus the Scottish Russians.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was watching Hunt for Red October with some russian chicks. They couldn't understand Connery when he spoke Russian.

They said, and I quote, "Does he have marbles in his mouth?"

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

MA-Horus posted:

I was watching Hunt for Red October with some russian chicks. They couldn't understand Connery when he spoke Russian.

They said, and I quote, "Does he have marbles in his mouth?"

Yeah, I'm convinced he was reading the Russian dialogue phonetically, but the marbles certainly exacerbated things.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

HammerOfHope posted:

Dude, you can totally see underwater!

This loving commercial...

It's almost like the Forces is actively sabotaging the trade. That commercial says absolutely loving nothing about the job. The guy is reading from the recruiting abstract, and not only is he extremely vague he's (well, the script) actively wrong about some things. Not to mention he's sitting in front of the hull mounted sonar set while supposedly operating the sonobuoy system (and he's an Able Seaman who's not qualified on the system). Maybe some spergy poo poo but they're not difficult details to get right.

I also did a recruiting gig because I was expressly told I would be selling sonar op, but ended up talking about electronics techs - perhaps another one of the reasons the trade is distressed?

Acoustics used to be a pretty high speed trade, because it's difficult as hell to be good at. But the Navy doesn't care much about it anymore so it lost a lot of the better operators and filled the spots with, well, less desirable people. When I got in almost every one of my peers was an infantry washout. There's a lot of stuff we used to be able to do as a community that most people can't do anymore.

I'm a little happier now as I see a few good junior people, and it's possible we might get serious about ASW again. Some cool poo poo happening lately.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Its true that they dont care about ASW much anymore. I'm pretty sure FELEX didn't even feature any upgraded ASW-suite. I think that's changed now though.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Ruse posted:

Its true that they dont care about ASW much anymore. I'm pretty sure FELEX didn't even feature any upgraded ASW-suite. I think that's changed now though.

I've "heard" it's because Lockheed/MDA have the FELEX contract while General Dynamics are the ASW guys. There's a super sweet, low cost ASW suite available from GD but it can't interface with CCS. We use them at the ADACs and there's a roll on/off version they test at sea from time to time.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm supposed to go on basic in about two weeks but haven't gotten confirmation or any details on travel poo poo. Should I be worried?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm supposed to go on basic in about two weeks but haven't gotten confirmation or any details on travel poo poo. Should I be worried?

Talk to your chain of command. You usually will know a week or 2 before you leave, but it is the military.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Go check out your unit's ASC, they should have a big pile of contract/route letter/claim crap you have to sign off before you go out. Usually they'd call you and tell you to show up but they are clerks, you can never tell with those bunch.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Explain "hot jobs" to me -
Is it worthwhile to apply to a job that isn't currently listed as a "hot job"?
I apparently missed the window to apply as a MARS officer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fire Above posted:

Usually they'd call you and tell you to show up but they are clerks, you can never tell with those bunch.

Hey. I resemble that statement.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

I wasn't told about my basic course until around lunch on the day the course started.

In the same boat as you for SQ right now. Is your course being held in Edmonton too?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nofeed posted:

I wasn't told about my basic course until around lunch on the day the course started.

In the same boat as you for SQ right now. Is your course being held in Edmonton too?

Wainwright, but I've heard RUMINT that things might be disrupted a bit with the investigation on the meth lab. Probably not though.

MCpl at the OR told me I'd likely hear on Monday. What a birthday present, eh?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I have my BMQ in around 2 weeks and so far the only real "training" I've been doing is making sure my liver is ready for the weekends in Montreal.

I'm an idiot :(

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

I have my BMQ in around 2 weeks and so far the only real "training" I've been doing is making sure my liver is ready for the weekends in Montreal.

Just make sure your liver is prepared. The last thing you want is to get taken off course cause you were too drunk and did something stupid.

I think they should redo the fitness test

6 on beep test
19 push ups
19 sit ups
75 on hand grip
drink a 12 pack and not get arrested.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Drinking like a retarded army guy is the most important thing you learn in BMQ.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Fraser CDN posted:

6 on beep test
19 push ups
19 sit ups
75 on hand grip
drink a 12 pack and not get arrested.

What exactly is the beep test? Is this like running back and forth from lines with the interval between beeps getting shorter?

I can also drink a 12 pack and not appear drunk.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 25, 2010

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

E.Nigma posted:

What exactly is the beep test? Is this like running back and forth from lines with the interval between beeps getting shorter?

Beep test, aka bleep test, aka multi stage fitness test.

20m shuttle run to a pre-recorded soundtrack of decreasing intervaled bleeps.

For comparison I did a different version at HMS Sultan where, instead of the bleeps coming in levels, they decrease the time interval ever so slightly every time. A whole tonne harder since there's no target to aim at, it's just running to infinity.

And isn't 6 really low?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Orange Someone posted:

And isn't 6 really low?

Six is pretty low, if I remember correctly.
We had to do a beep test in Grade 9 gym and even the fattiez were getting 7 or 8.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

If I was anything to go by, CF Entry requirements are...well, let's just say generous.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

If I was anything to go by, CF Entry requirements are...well, let's just say generous.

Yea its really low. The best I ever got was 9( also remember Im 5'7, so 8 was a dead out sprint).

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I run an 11 beep test and can run run the 6k from the bus station to my house hammered drunk in under 30 minutes.

Ladies?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

I run an 11 beep test and can run run the 6k from the bus station to my house hammered drunk in under 30 minutes.

Ladies?

Yes, but what cap badge're you sporting?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
How hard is it to become an officer if you join as a non-commissioned member? I'm interested in signals but I don't have a science/engineering BA to qualify me for direct entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

the balloon hoax posted:

How hard is it to become an officer if you join as a non-commissioned member? I'm interested in signals but I don't have a science/engineering BA to qualify me for direct entry.

Reasonably difficult. You will need to put in about 4 years give-or-take as an NCM before you even try.

There are generally two programs most guys try - University Training Plan for Non Commissioned Members (UTPNCM) and the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP).

UTPNCM sends you to university before granting you a commission. You can go to RMC or a civilian school, and there is little rhyme or reason to which you go to. You have to complete at least two university courses beforehand on your own time.

CEOTP commissions you right away and you are expected to eventually complete a degree on your own time.

Competition is intense, so you need to be an outstanding NCM. Even then, you need a fair amount of luck. Not all officer occupations are even open for competition year to year - UTP has more options than CEO.

You must be a substantive Corporal (QL5 qualified) before you can apply to either, which means three years at an absolute, unlikely minimum, normally more. But as a Corporal you will not be especially competitive because you lack leadership experience compared to the Masters and Sergeants you are in competition with.

There are a couple of other options. Special Commissioning Plan is available if you complete a degree on your own time, while serving as an NCM. That's possible but highly unlikely, depending how much of degree done you have already. Time for school as a junior NCM is rare. Then there is Commissioning from the Ranks, which is for Sergeants and "outstanding Master Corporals" where you are commissioned into a spot closely related to your trade (e.g. Infanteer becomes Infantry Officer, but not a Pilot).

Anyway I can provide more details if you want. I've tried CEO twice, and should get it next competition if the occupation I want is open. I can describe how you are scored by the interviewing officer and what to focus on.