Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

So is Symphonia unplayable after Abyss then? I was thinking about grabbing it if I ended up liking Abyss.

It's a different kind of playable, I guess? There are pretty much zero load times but the combat is a bit more simplistic (no 3D free run). You also see the quasi-origins of Judith's aerial fighting style. At least, that's the only Tales game that I recall with a party member that attacks with a lot of aerials and juggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HondaCivet posted:

So is Symphonia unplayable after Abyss then? I was thinking about grabbing it if I ended up liking Abyss.

Unless you really, really like free run it should be fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

He has an entire move line based on tempest. Tempest, Psi Tempest, Omega Tempest, Tempest Beast, and at least one more I can't remember right now.
Tempest Thrust.

Anyway I'm replaying ToS right now and it plays fine for me. My only complaint is it probably has some of the most obtuse dungeons in the series.

EDIT: And if it counts you can get Photon Tempest in a U. Attack.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Tempest Thrust.

Anyway I'm replaying ToS right now and it plays fine for me. My only complaint is it probably has some of the most obtuse dungeons in the series.

EDIT: And if it counts you can get Photon Tempest in a U. Attack.

Oh god, the Symphonia dungeons. There was one with teleport pads that circled you around to the same spot, and a gently caress ton of "move this block here" puzzles. Certainly a high number of aggravating dungeons.

I can't stand "puzzles" that are just endless mazes or memorizing the patterns of a billion teleporters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple.

It hurts.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

wdarkk posted:

It was an item in ToS too, unless you're talking about the PS2 version (where it was an arte, but most of us didn't play that).
I didn't say it wasn't an item in ToS. I said in ToS there was an Arte that served its purpose. And no I only played the GC version. I remember Rain having a spell that did the same thing as Magic Lens.

WingsOfSteel posted:

They're cheap as gently caress, you only have to use them once per enemy type (Dungeons usually have less than ten unique monster types), you can carry up to 20 at a time, and they are available in every town.

I'm not sure how it could be any more convenient, except for the game just telling you every enemy's HP.

If you're using Magic Lenses on every enemy in every encounter, you're not using them right.
How can you carry 20? I can only carry 15. I'm not using them on every enemy encounter. I'm just saying it's a retarded mechanic to make you have to buy them all the time when it could easily be an ability that does the same exact thing.

I never complained about their price or how often you have to use them either so bringing that poo poo up is kinda pointless. You really can't defend making them an item vs making it a default ability. It doesn't serve any purpose as a cheap item that you constantly have to fill up, especially considering it's possible to forget to fill and run out in the middle of a series of battles where you can't go shopping.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 28, 2010

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

It hurts.

Once you realize how lovely the following mechanic is, its not that bad. You just always have to assume its going to gently caress up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

I didn't say it wasn't an item in ToS. I said in ToS there was an Arte that served its purpose. And no I only played the GC version. I remember Rain having a spell that did the same thing as Magic Lens.

Uh, you got a source on that? Because I don't see it anywhere except in the GC-to-PS2 changes list.

quote:

Refill
Inspect Magic (16 TP)
Functions the same as a Spectacles. Refill learns this at level 20.

Endorph posted:

It hurts.

Honestly the following mechanic pretty much doesn't bother me. How you think it's bad compared to Ymir Forest of Latheon Gorge is beyond me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Honestly the following mechanic pretty much doesn't bother me. How you think it's bad compared to Ymir Forest of Latheon Gorge is beyond me.
I have no idea why, but I was stuck on Shadow Temple for ages. I blazed through Latheon Gorge, and Ymir Forest only took me a bit to figure out.

But loving Shadow Temple.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

wdarkk posted:

Uh, you got a source on that? Because I don't see it anywhere except in the GC-to-PS2 changes list.

Weird. I guess I was wrong. I could have sworn I used it.

Anyways, I don't remember the Shadow Temple. Anyone care to explain?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eddain posted:

Didn't Repede have some Tempest-like arte?

Oh, right, Repede's Shining Fang sort of acts like a Tempest. You got me.

HondaCivet posted:

How much do you use Free Run? If you're used to it, Symphonia will probably be pretty annoying. If you don't use it at all, you'll be fine.

Ymir Forest and Latheon Gorge can go straight to dungeon hell.

Ice Blue posted:

Anyways, I don't remember the Shadow Temple. Anyone care to explain?

You have to go around and pick up five little shadow pieces and get them all together at the bottom of the temple before they combine into Shadow. The mechanics of them following you are pretty terrible. I probably forgot something too.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Did anyone here play Graces? Did it have a dungeon mechanic like Abyss (Mieu's abilities) or Vesperia (aer ring)?

Some Numbers posted:

You have to go around and pick up five little shadow pieces and get them all together at the bottom of the temple before they combine into Shadow. The mechanics of them following you are pretty terrible. I probably forgot something too.

There were pillars you had to light/darken to block possible paths the shadows would take. You also had to pull blocks to open and close certain pathways.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Ice Blue posted:

How can you carry 20? I can only carry 15. I'm not using them on every enemy encounter. I'm just saying it's a retarded mechanic to make you have to buy them all the time when it could easily be an ability that does the same exact thing.

I'm currently on a playthrough with a 99-of-each-item cap purchased from the Grade Shop and I forgot what the original item cap was. I thought it was 20, but I must have remembered wrong.

quote:

I never complained about their price or how often you have to use them either so bringing that poo poo up is kinda pointless. You really can't defend making them an item vs making it a default ability. It doesn't serve any purpose as a cheap item that you constantly have to fill up, especially considering it's possible to forget to fill and run out in the middle of a series of battles where you can't go shopping.

I guess we just play differently? I stop at an item shop every time I visit a town, and there is almost always a stop at a town between dungeons. Since I have never been low enough on funds that I couldn't fill up on Magic Lenses, I fill up on Magic Lenses every time I am in a town between dungeons. I have never been inconvenienced with Magic Lenses, and I do it so automatically that I don't even give it a second thought, so it seemed odd that you had so much trouble, so I made some faulty assumptions about why you might be having trouble with something with which I never had anything even approaching an issue.

Personally, I see a lot more problems with having it be an arte. Suppose the character with the arte is somebody you don't like having in your party, like Anise from TotA. With items, you can have anybody use Magic Lens and find out the HP. As an arte, you've potentially have to waste a slot on a character you don't want in your party. Having it as an ability seems more restrictive than having it as an item IMO.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Granted, they could just put it on an awesome/useful character like Raine and when in doubt pick the most awesome caster. Or do both, so you can slot in whoever for the trash and use lenses when it gets serious.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Man, Rita having a Magic Lens arte would have been great.

But knowing them, they probably would have given it to Estelle.

Actually, that's not true. They gave all the Magic Lens Skills to Repede. Using one Magic Lens to scan the whole battlefield is awesome.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret

Eddain posted:

Did anyone here play Graces? Did it have a dungeon mechanic like Abyss (Mieu's abilities) or Vesperia (aer ring)?

Nah, it didn't have anything like that. There were puzzles but none of them particularly hard or annoying.

Graces has one of the best battle systems of any Tales game and I'm sad that it's really unlikely to have an English port. I usually hate playing casters in Tales games but Malik/Pascal were really fun (Malik was my favorite character to play as.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

grantsnx posted:

Nah, it didn't have anything like that. There were puzzles but none of them particularly hard or annoying.

Graces has one of the best battle systems of any Tales game and I'm sad that it's really unlikely to have an English port. I usually hate playing casters in Tales games but Malik/Pascal were really fun (Malik was my favorite character to play as.)

Well, there's a semi-playable translation patch out there. Now we just need them to fix it up a bit more (using the version that isn't buggy as poo poo) and it's Dolphin time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Man, Rita having a Magic Lens arte would have been great.

But knowing them, they probably would have given it to Estelle.

Actually, that's not true. They gave all the Magic Lens Skills to Repede. Using one Magic Lens to scan the whole battlefield is awesome.

Yeah that was pretty weird. Estelle's the collection nut isn't she? At least, I think I remember her getting some titles for completing the item book?

Although Repede's cool too. My permanent party was Yuri Repede Rita Estelle so I was always scanning enemies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Eddain posted:

Yeah that was pretty weird. Estelle's the collection nut isn't she? At least, I think I remember her getting some titles for completing the item book?

Although Repede's cool too. My permanent party was Yuri Repede Rita Estelle so I was always scanning enemies.

Estelle gets the Title for finishing the Collector's Book. Karol gets the Title for finishing the Monster Book.

My party was Yuri/Rita/Repede/Estelle for the first few playthroughs. When I tried to play a new game on hard, I got destroyed by Barbos, so I switched Estelle for Karol and never went back. Karol's actually a great healer.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Repede doesn't fit when you think of it as "collection maniac," but he does when you think about it being magic lenses and that he's set up to be the group item spammer.

Also my vote is Ymir Forest is way more annoying than Shadow Temple.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Some Numbers posted:

Oh RIGHT. THAT Tempest.

Eh, I was never as enamored of Tempest as my friend was.

Also, Flynn doesn't get Tempest.

Aww, I thought he did. Oh well. I just like turning my dude into a human buzz saw ok. :colbert: It isn't as fun when its a dog. (I never really use Repede, it isn't that I don't like him but Yuri/Rita/Raven/Judith is my favorite party.)

What's this about no Graces port? Isn't that game part of the main line?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Graces is indeed part of the mainline but Namco didn't announce a localisation at E3, so hopes of the game turning up are nonexistent. This is despite teasing people in the form of an English version of its vocal theme and a supposed release date in an English Nintendo magazine. At least there's a translation patch on the way.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

WingsOfSteel posted:

I have never been inconvenienced with Magic Lenses, and I do it so automatically that I don't even give it a second thought, so it seemed odd that you had so much trouble, so I made some faulty assumptions about why you might be having trouble with something with which I never had anything even approaching an issue.

Well here's the thing: if it's so goddamn important, why isn't it automatic?

They're giving out a trophy and a title for "remembers to press 2 buttons when they encounter a new enemy" which is just tedious and retarded.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Arcaeris posted:

Well here's the thing: if it's so goddamn important, why isn't it automatic?

They're giving out a trophy and a title for "remembers to press 2 buttons when they encounter a new enemy" which is just tedious and retarded.

It really isn't that big of a deal, like you said, two button presses. And it's NOT that important, you can do the entire game without magic lensing anything. It's optional, and the rewards you get from it are just like any other sidequest reward in that they take extra time/effort to do, but aren't necessary to get at all.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
People raging against Magic Lens seem to just hate the fact that they missed out on the monster album trophy or whatever it gets you. Get it on your 2nd playthrough if you really care about it since you can buy the "Hold 99 items" option in the Grade shop. Or Transfer Skills and use Repede for his group Magic Lens ability.

It's not like FF13 or whatever where scanning the enemy is 99% necessary. Your AI-controlled party members won't do anything different if you Magic Lens an enemy. It's just nice to see how much HP an enemy has and any strengths/weaknesses it might have.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2010

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
It's just one of those ridiculous little annoying things, like "don't open these X chests or you'll never get that ultimate weapon" that no one tells you and don't show up anywhere.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

It's just one of those ridiculous little annoying things, like "don't open these X chests or you'll never get that ultimate weapon" that no one tells you and don't show up anywhere.

Yeah but FF12's ridiculous Zodiac Spear thing was a ploy to get people to buy strategy guides. Tales' magic lens system doesn't block you out of anything except titles and perhaps an achievement.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Why would you need to buy a guide for one thing? Especially when that was known on Gamefaqs days after the game was released.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Why would you need to buy a guide for one thing? Especially when that was known on Gamefaqs days after the game was released.

Well, you could say that any obtuse sidequest in any game is a ploy to sell strategy guides. Vesperia had a ton itself, especially with Judith's spear sidequest. Hell, most walkthroughs are lifted straight from the official strategy guide.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Tales of Innocence's fan translation is complete and released!
http://www.absolutezerotranslations.com/2010/06/29/tales-of-innocence-patch-released/#more-1046

:woop:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
TO be honest I didn't think this was coming out at all.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Slug in a Box posted:

Tales of Innocence's fan translation is complete and released!
http://www.absolutezerotranslations.com/2010/06/29/tales-of-innocence-patch-released/#more-1046

:woop:

I'm really dumb, are these types of patches for emulation only or is there some way to play with them a real copy?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it's anything like Soma Bringer, you have to have a ROM dump from the original game, apply the patch, and then place the patched ROM on a homebrew card (see the homebrew thread for details).

I can't remember anything regarding Innocence. How good is it compared to the other titles?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Nate RFB posted:

If it's anything like Soma Bringer, you have to have a ROM dump from the original game, apply the patch, and then place the patched ROM on a homebrew card (see the homebrew thread for details).

I can't remember anything regarding Innocence. How good is it compared to the other titles?

I seem to recall hearing fairly good things, but I never got around to importing it after getting burned by Tempest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nate RFB posted:

It had the potential to be really good, but was ultimately held down by ridiculously grindy bosses later on. A pair of back to back boss battles literally took me an hour and 15 minutes to beat, and this was on the lowest difficulty level. If you play it, you'll wanna cheat and give yourself increased EXP when that starts to happen.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

To anyone who has gotten the patch working, is there any trick with it? I tried downloading Xdelta UI like it says in the included readme but it keeps giving me errors when I try to apply the patch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

iastudent posted:

To anyone who has gotten the patch working, is there any trick with it? I tried downloading Xdelta UI like it says in the included readme but it keeps giving me errors when I try to apply the patch.
Does it actually output a file? I got an "error" message as well as I recall, but it still produced a reasonably-sized file that worked when I placed it on my homebrew card.

E: I'm reading that this might be a Windows 7 thing, and can be avoided if you run the xdelta GUI as an administrator (right click on the .exe).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 1, 2010

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Does it actually output a file? I got an "error" message as well as I recall, but it still produced a reasonably-sized file that worked when I placed it on my homebrew card.

Never mind, found out what was wrong.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 1, 2010

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Currently playing through Vesperia with a mate (I get to control the pipe smoking dog fortunately), lot of fun so far. The magic lens thing doesn't bother me, but the conditions for some of the sidequests ((early sidequest spoiler) such as the white haired guy who you have to visit in places you would NEVER return to during the normal course of the game) are retarded. We're actually using a guide for all sidequests, as we don't really have time to play through a 60-80 hour (presumably) game twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

HampHamp posted:

Currently playing through Vesperia with a mate (I get to control the pipe smoking dog fortunately), lot of fun so far. The magic lens thing doesn't bother me, but the conditions for some of the sidequests ((early sidequest spoiler) such as the white haired guy who you have to visit in places you would NEVER return to during the normal course of the game) are retarded. We're actually using a guide for all sidequests, as we don't really have time to play through a 60-80 hour (presumably) game twice.

I did the same... I don't entirely regret it, but I would skip some of the sidequests.

In previous Tales, I did EVERYTHING because there was nice payback, such as the sauna and fun conversation at Namco Island. In Vesperia, there's far less fun party talk during these optional places, and the optional dungeon isn't story-relevant or really fun.

IMO, that is.