Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hockles posted:

It's just added to the list of temporary alliances/love interests/angles.

Kane/K2/Orton
Cena/Mickey
Miz/Jericho
I was looking forward to the crazy antics of Miz/Jericho.
What are some of the aborted angles/stables/pushes that people were most looking forward to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

savinhill posted:

What are some of the aborted angles/stables/pushes that people were most looking forward to?

A pay per view pay-off match between London and Akio (Jimmy Yang!) They put on some absolutely INCREDIBLE matches on Velocity

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Velocity was the best b show ever...

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

savinhill posted:

Do matches count bc Benoit/Punk has gotta be up there.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Does anyone else think Regal is right near the top of the list of WWE superstar's who don't get enough time onscreen outside of the ring? To me, although Regal is a really solid wrestler, his mic skills are probably his greatest asset.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

savinhill posted:

Not really aborted as much as a one-off tag team but a continued Mizorrison/The Brian Kendrick/Zeke alliance would have been sweet.

Edit: A giant "what if" is if Regal hadn't gotten himself wellnessed during his tyrant GM push.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 28, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

savinhill posted:

I like to think WWE paired up Jericho/Big Show just to show us what the aborted Jericho/Giant angle in WCW could have been. I remember that angle and in his book Jericho even brings it up saying fans were always asking him where it was supposed to go and he had no idea because management never told him.

Also, I would have really liked something to have come out of Cena talking smack about the Rock awhile back. If Rock had hosted earlier this year, maybe something could have been done. But if you were gonna get Rock to wrestle, and wrestle Cena at that, I guess you don't do it on some one-shot on Raw.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Velocity was the best b show ever...

It really was, man.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Why exactly did Storm call it quits? I watched his match against AmDrag a few years back and he was awesome as always.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Why exactly did Storm call it quits? I watched his match against AmDrag a few years back and he was awesome as always.

hates spending time on the road, and is pretty much devoted to spending time with his family now. he felt he accomplished all he needed to and sees no reason to wrestle full time anymore.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

savinhill posted:

I looked forward to Eddie Guerrero's program with Batista. Apparently they were going to give Eddie the WHC the week he died because Batista was injured. They turned Eddie completely heel beforehand and then after finally defeating Rey he proclaimed he was a changed man becoming a face (or a tweener depending how you look at it).

There were subtle hints here and there of Eddie using his friendship with Batista to manipulate him, catch him unguarded and take the WHC like the smirk after their match at No Mercy and Eddie hitting Batista with a chair in the back 'by accident'. I'm not sure if they would have turned Eddie back heel again and pummel Batista to the ground kayfabe injuring him but now we will never know..

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

savinhill posted:

I'd say when they brought Goldberg in... but we know how that ended. Ugh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

way back in the day, but I always wanted a fully realized and cleverly booked Foley / Gilbert feud.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Lamuella posted:

way back in the day, but I always wanted a fully realized and cleverly booked Foley / Gilbert feud.

I read "Gilbert" as "Gillberg" and wholeheartedly agreed.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How/When did Vince become an in ring personality? When I stopped watching WWE as a kid he was still doing play-by-play, interviews, etc, but I didn't catch on again until well into the Attitude era in 99 and he was full on Mr. McMahon.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Also, I would have really liked something to have come out of Cena talking smack about the Rock awhile back. If Rock had hosted earlier this year, maybe something could have been done. But if you were gonna get Rock to wrestle, and wrestle Cena at that, I guess you don't do it on some one-shot on Raw.

If this happened at Wrestlemania, would it make Rock the only wrestler to have a main event at Wrestlemania with the biggest stars of three different generations(Hogan, Austin, Cena)?

edit: I consider Austin and Rock equally the biggest stars of the Attitude era, to nip that stupid debate in the bud.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

How/When did Vince become an in ring personality? When I stopped watching WWE as a kid he was still doing play-by-play, interviews, etc, but I didn't catch on again until well into the Attitude era in 99 and he was full on Mr. McMahon.

If I remember correctly it was the whole Montreal screwjob thing with Bret that changed him from an announcer/official into "Mr. McMahon." The heat from the fans was so big that he decided to say gently caress it and just run with it. From the "Bret screwed Bret" interviews he gave to the promos he gave and his whole strutting power figure persona it eventually led to matches with the big faces of the time. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it going (and from what I've read) Probably one of the best decisions he's ever made for a character.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The original "Bret Screwed Bret" speech was a weird because Vince wasn't even doing the heel act yet. It was more of a P.R. damage control type of thing where was trying to convince the audience that WWF did the right thing, while straddling kayfabe and talking about "time honored tradition."

There was a really awkward period where they were dancing around the issue, briefly addressing it in vague terms and proceeding as if it had never happened. I forget how long they were in that limbo period, but I do remember them playing off the screwjob in the Austin vs. Corporate Dude Love feud, so by Spring '98 at the latest they had fully worked Montreal into the on-air WWF mythos.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

The original "Bret Screwed Bret" speech was a weird because Vince wasn't even doing the heel act yet. It was more of a P.R. damage control type of thing where was trying to convince the audience that WWF did the right thing, while straddling kayfabe and talking about "time honored tradition."

There was a really awkward period where they were dancing around the issue, briefly addressing it in vague terms and proceeding as if it had never happened. I forget how long it took for them to start acknowledging it openly and making Vince a full-on heel. I do remember them playing off the screwjob in the Austin vs. Corporate Dude Love feud, so by Spring '98 at the latest they had fully worked Montreal into the on-air WWF mythos.

I think the worst thing about the Screwjob is that it's now been re-enacted like twenty times.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think the worst thing about the Screwjob is that it's now been re-enacted like twenty times.

To use a comic book analogy, it is the Bullseye stabbing Elektra scene of professional wrestling. It was shocking and amazing at the time but every single reiteration of it just makes you go oh yeah THAT thing. Especially in (comics/wrestling) where no one ever really (dies/never comes back to work for Vince).

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
To add to the discussion of Vince becoming an on-air personality, he really started to appear more-and-more and develop the hardass boss persona in the lead up to and aftermath of Mike Tyson at Wrestlemania. There's a fantastic moment during Tyson's first live appearance where Austin confronts him and incites a brawl where McMahon is at ringside screaming, "YOU RUINED IT! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!" at Austin. And after Stone Cold pinned HBK the ball was already rolling and moved effortlessly into McMahon demanding Austin becoming more corporate, and spawned the rather famous "We can do this the easy way or the hard way" promo.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

I remember Russo had a big thing planned for Starrcade '99 with the Bret/Goldberg main event. Guess what it was?????????????

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

The last time they did it at Breaking Point last year it didn't even lead up to anything. Vince, Teddy and Armstrong screwed Taker out of the title because they wanted to make Smackdown exciting? What?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ColeM posted:

I remember Russo had a big thing planned for Starrcade '99 with the Bret/Goldberg main event. Guess what it was?????????????

It would actually be something of a project to recount all the fake screwjobs that have happened in the last thirteen years.

Rock/Foley in '98
Bret Hart two different times in WCW
Earl Hebner runs in after a ref bump during the Backlash '04 three-way
McMahon/Michaels feud in '06
Hebner in TNA '06
Punk/Undertaker in '09
Styles/Angle '10

It may be the most utterly played-out thing in wrestling.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

It would actually be something of a project to recount all the fake screwjobs that have happened in the last thirteen years.

Rock/Foley in '98
Bret Hart two different times in WCW
Earl Hebner runs in after a ref bump during the Backlash '04 three-way
McMahon/Michaels feud in '06
Hebner in TNA '06
Punk/Undertaker in '09
Styles/Angle '10

It may be the most utterly played-out thing in wrestling.
Off the top of my head there was also Dude Love vs. Steve Blackman in April '98 (McMahon calls for the bell during an abdominal stretch). Probably only remember this one cuz I was at that Raw :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ChampRamp posted:

His back just couldn't take the stress of night after night bumps.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I looked forward to Eddie Guerrero's program with Batista. Apparently they were going to give Eddie the WHC the week he died because Batista was injured. They turned Eddie completely heel beforehand and then after finally defeating Rey he proclaimed he was a changed man becoming a face (or a tweener depending how you look at it).

There were subtle hints here and there of Eddie using his friendship with Batista to manipulate him, catch him unguarded and take the WHC like the smirk after their match at No Mercy and Eddie hitting Batista with a chair in the back 'by accident'. I'm not sure if they would have turned Eddie back heel again and pummel Batista to the ground kayfabe injuring him but now we will never know..

Wasn't the whole point of the feud was that Batista kept expecting Eddie to turn on him? Like he never bought into all the stuff Eddie was doing for him?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Minidust posted:

Off the top of my head there was also Dude Love vs. Steve Blackman in April '98 (McMahon calls for the bell during an abdominal stretch). Probably only remember this one cuz I was at that Raw :v:

Also there was the "South Philly Screwjob" during the ECW reboot.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7bq0q_chris-jericho-vs-jim-neidhart_sport

Does this match count? I have no idea what the gently caress happened at the end there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Iskanderson posted:

Does this match count? I have no idea what the gently caress happened at the end there.
Looks more like an especially botched finish. Wasn't watching WCW though so I have no idea if there was any follow-up or greater context to put this in.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
The first video I ever downloaded in my life was the "I appreciate the fact that you and the WWF care, but I also appreciate the fact that - hell - you can kiss my rear end" Austin stuns Vince, Vince goes into convulsions, security drags Austin away bit. Was Vince not an on-air heel at that point?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Iskanderson posted:

it's supposed to be a "screwjob".

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

DannoMack posted:

The first video I ever downloaded in my life was the "I appreciate the fact that you and the WWF care, but I also appreciate the fact that - hell - you can kiss my rear end" Austin stuns Vince, Vince goes into convulsions, security drags Austin away bit. Was Vince not an on-air heel at that point?

My birthday freshman year of college *swoon*

He wasn't an on air heel yet because this was before Montreal but in the middle of Austin stunning everyone in his way (Slaughter, King, JR, etc)

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

The last time they did it at Breaking Point last year it didn't even lead up to anything. Vince, Teddy and Armstrong screwed Taker out of the title because they wanted to make Smackdown exciting? What?

Then Undertaker beat him pretty decisively at Hell in the Cell a month later. Very pointless in what.. the 1st? 2nd match on the card?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I could have sworn that was right after he won the title, which would be after Montreal. When was that promo?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

CVagts posted:

I could have sworn that was right after he won the title, which would be after Montreal. When was that promo?

That promo was from the MSG Raw in September of 1997. This RAW also saw the return of Cactus Jack.

edit: further review it was 9/22/97 not on my birthday. :(

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DannoMack posted:

Not at all. In fact, I think Austin had stunned JR the previous week and Commissioner Slaughter the week before that.

This was the good old days when the most popular guy in the company didn't just go after heels, he went after everyone.

CVagts posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2neyo_austin-video-shown-at-badd-blood-97_sport

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 28, 2010

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Oh right, never mind, I got my "Austin stuns McMahon" promos mixed up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

His back just couldn't take the stress of night after night bumps.

Wasn't the whole point of the feud was that Batista kept expecting Eddie to turn on him? Like he never bought into all the stuff Eddie was doing for him?

If I remember right, Eddie was really conflicted about taking opportunities to get the jump on Batista, and every time he DID try to use his normal tricks, Batista would catch him out and give him a,"Haha oh no you don't my friend!" look and Eddie couldn't help but appreciate it. I really liked the whole angle and it added just another heaping of :smith: to learn that it was leading up to a second title run for Eddie till he died.

Riceball
Jan 27, 2009

That's because the Flato's think they live under a fricken AT-AT.
Since Mccool allegedly got married to Taker this weekend, I'm wondering when Undertaker got divorced from Sara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Wikipedia fails to give the answer, though they do say that Sara was his second wife, something I did not know.

A question regarding tag team matches involving the world champion, where the stip is that the winner of the fall wins the championship. How many times has the finish been the tag team partner of the champion winning the title?