Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

lancemantis posted:

Yeah that's the usual response :(

Seriously, gently caress them if they're like that. you're the only one who rides it, so if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Had my first real experience with triggers not going off because I'm on a motorcycle. This the facility I had to go to today so I could drive one of our company vans for the day. When my day is done, and get back there to pick my bike up to go home, everyone has left. They all work in this place from 6am to 3pm-ish. So at 6pm, it's a ghost town.

I pull up to the gate, and yeah, nothing. I hit the help call box, noone is there. I sat there rocking my bike back and forth over the line for a while, nothing.

Click here for the full 908x678 image.

I decided to just start wandering around the different facility buildings, and after 45 minutes, finally found some maintenance dude who laughed at me (in a good way) and got his vehicle and pulled up the line for me. I don't know where he was hiding, but I thought I was gonna be spending the weekend trapped there :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Binge posted:

Trapped in a gate factory, please send help.

That's hilarious.

Now you should sue them for vehicle discrimination and you'll be rich and never have to work weekends again. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PROTIP: Instead of rocking back and forth, kill the engine, and hit the started. The magnetic field generated by it is usually enough to get those things working. (I've heard hitting it while the engine is running can work, as well.)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Also like up your wheels on top of the parallel line on the edge of the box in the ground.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

PROTIP: Instead of rocking back and forth, kill the engine, and hit the started. The magnetic field generated by it is usually enough to get those things working. (I've heard hitting it while the engine is running can work, as well.)

I'm not totally sure what you're saying I should do. Are you saying physically hit something, or just flicking it on? I'm relieved that there's a way to get it going, because at first I was afraid to ride out to this facility again. I'm definitely gonna now though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
He meant "hit the starter", as in turn off your engine and then restart it. His suggestion along with mine aren't foolproof but can sometimes help (I've never had any particular luck tripping a wire with fancy tactics that didn't detect just riding over it).

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

hayden. posted:

He meant "hit the starter", as in turn off your engine and then restart it. His suggestion along with mine aren't foolproof but can sometimes help (I've never had any particular luck tripping a wire with fancy tactics that didn't detect just riding over it).

I did this tonight except with the bike running. Ive got an sv650. I figured doing it once for a split second would be alright even if there was some nasty metal on metal action, but it seems to be built in a way that when the bike is running the starter doesnt actually engage anything, just spins freely. Lights go out for a second but thats it, bike doesnt miss a beat.
The lights did change, but a sample size of one attempt doesnt really mean anything...

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Another for the Ninja 250 club.

Went for a ride along some of the local-ish twisty roads:

Great fun - except its the middle of winter here, and all the beautiful twisty roads were slick with rain, covered in tree debris, and somebody seemed to have driven along them with the worlds leakiest engine - there were visible oil patches everywhere, and as a result my tyres are still square.

I didn't suffer at all though, despite the cold - if you have thought about getting heated grips, go buy them!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Yeah, the starter is usually on a freewheeling gear. I've ridden a good 3 miles before with my starter button depressed, as it got stuck in and I didn't notice. Gave me a good scare when left: I turned on the kill switch and the bike started right up!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Having a friend with a good camera and an empty business park to play around in results in some fun pictures. (click for big)

Ineedasupermoto.jpg

I needed to clean it when we took those pictures, and now after 350 miles today it really needs it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I need to start bringing a tripod with me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
More like find a rock and use a longer shutter time. On a side note, how do you DSLR guys carry your poo poo? I ride with a camelback and I fit a D200 + 50mm fixed in it but it's bulky as poo poo doing that.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

BlackMK4 posted:

More like find a rock and use a longer shutter time. On a side note, how do you DSLR guys carry your poo poo? I ride with a camelback and I fit a D200 + 50mm fixed in it but it's bulky as poo poo doing that.

I haven't tried it riding yet, but I'm pretty sure I tested it off the bike and my 30D + 70-200 2.8 IS fit in my Kriega R25.

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

Raven457 posted:

I need to start bringing a tripod with me

and a camera that has a flash

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BlackMK4 posted:

1550 Pelican if I'm bringing all my gear, otherwise the SLR in a lens holster in a tank bag works pretty well too.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Few pictures of riding in Exmoor at the weekend, we're having some pretty good weather in the UK at the moment :)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got a cheap rear topcase (milk crate) that I put my camera bag in and cover with a bungee cargo net. Easier that way to carry a D90 w/ 3 different lenses and leave my back free for anything else.

I'd love to fit something up on the side of my scooter though to be able to carry a tripod.

LeftyChris posted:

and a camera that has a flash

I'm sure you were joking, but a flash does nothing when taking a picture of a skyline, except for illuminate whatever is a few feet in front of you. You'd end up with a horrible picture of an exposed foreground and no skyline.

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 28, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"[working title posted:

"]
Few pictures of riding in Exmoor at the weekend, we're having some pretty good weather in the UK at the moment :)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Whoa, I didn't know they made RWB Rocksters. Nice shots!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

My Kreiga R35 fits my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home with a 40D, lenses and flash, though I usually just through the camera straight into the bag wrapped up with a towel and one lens. If I need to carry my tripod (Manfrotto 055XProB) I need tie down straps and even then it digs into my rear end.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

BlackMK4 posted:

On a side note, how do you DSLR guys carry your poo poo?
So far, in my tankbag on top of the camelback bladder i have in there. Hopefully it absorbs a little bit of the thumpthumpthump. :gonk:

sklnd fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

BlackMK4 posted:

On a side note, how do you DSLR guys carry your poo poo?

I use this, strapped to the luggage rack: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425602-REG/Porta_Brace_PB_2400F_PB_2400F_Safeguard_Field_Production.html

It fits my 30D, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, 17-85mm 4.5-5.6 IS, and 20mm 1.8 with a bit of extra room for small accessories. A good deal cheaper then Pelicans of the same size, and it's durable as gently caress. It survived falling off my bike at ~20mph, getting completely covered in mud, water and hail, pelted by rocks and god knows what else, and through it all my camera gear all stayed perfectly clean, dry, and happy.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Tonight's $500 find:
2003 Suzuki Savage LS650

Runs well (drove it home), front pegs are bent and the turn signal stalks are damaged from being dropped by the seller's son while he was learning.

Unfortunately, said son also hooked jumper cables up to the bike incorrectly after leaving the lights on one night. The resulting excitement melted some some of the wiring and wire connectors for the rectifier/regulator and the stator. :doh: The wiring has been patched up, but the bike will not charge. There's a couple wire connections I'm going to rework while I test the charging system out tomorrow after the battery gets a full charge.

Oh, and the local bike shop? They quoted him $1,000 to replace the R/R and the stator. :rolleyes:

My wife is going to use it for her learner, as she's just not comfortable with the weight and size of my GS850. If she moves up to the bigger GS, fine... I'll flip the 650, if not, I'll probably sell the 850.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 29, 2010

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jaz posted:

Love those pipes every day I hear them. I still wonder though would some long straight ones have looked more appropriate?

Yes. :D

Click here for the full 750x597 image.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 29, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I can't help but hear Jeremy Clarkson describing that bike. :)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Raven457 posted:

Tonight's $500 find:
2003 Suzuki Savage LS650

drat you and your good luck! :argh:
I want to pick up a Savage for #1 Son (he's ridden his great-uncle's and loves it), but I ain't giving $1500+ for one.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
scooter incoming--

Someone cuts the vines on an abandoned, scheduled-to-be-destroyed factory:

These were taken way up here

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

nice stella. i sell those :smug:

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Just picked up my first motorcycle this Sunday, 1989 Yamaha FZR 400

I make 5 km/h look good, though I think I need to pick up a black visor

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Isn't that Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an rear end in a top hat?

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you

Hietala posted:

I don't like the looks of most sports bikes, but yours is drat beautiful! (Spend some more dough on proper riding pants and boots)

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Frost posted:

I don't like the looks of most sports bikes, but yours is drat beautiful! (Spend some more dough on proper riding pants and boots)

Thanks. I ran out of time when getting my gear to buy pants, but I will be getting some, and those are riding shoes.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

CubanRefugee posted:

I'm sure you were joking, but a flash does nothing when taking a picture of a skyline, except for illuminate whatever is a few feet in front of you. You'd end up with a horrible picture of an exposed foreground and no skyline.

I had to look 2 or 3 times before I figured out what he meant, but then I saw that there's a motorcycle parked in the foreground.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

grnberet2b posted:

I had to look 2 or 3 times before I figured out what he meant, but then I saw that there's a motorcycle parked in the foreground.

Oh, nice! I didn't even notice it either. Well then, yeah, a flash AND a long exposure would be nice in that situation. :)

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

CubanRefugee posted:

Oh, nice! I didn't even notice it either. Well then, yeah, a flash AND a long exposure would be nice in that situation. :)

Haha I thought "I can't be the only one that saw the bike!"
Nice old school FZR Hietala,when that gets toO slow go get a FZR 1000 exup.I had one with usd forks and it was a real wolf in sheeps clothing,just keep an eye on the oil level!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Isn't that Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an rear end in a top hat?

Yes, yes it is :smug:

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Here's two of mine:

The one on the left is a 2005 Honda VTR250, and the one on the right is a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R (I bought it on Wednesday, and it's pretty awesome).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shouting Melon posted:

Here's two of mine:

The one on the left is a 2005 Honda VTR250, and the one on the right is a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R (I bought it on Wednesday, and it's pretty awesome).

I just shred a pack of cigarettes in a fit of burning jealousy.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shouting Melon posted:

Here's two of mine:

Nice one, I'm currently on a VTR250 and my upgrade plan is the same as yours - I sat on a Street Triple at the bike show last year, and I remember it feeling small and light like the VTR, but what is the size difference would you say, having just made the switch? Is the Street actually a little larger/taller than the VTR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Hietala posted:

I love the old FZR's, although I may be a bit biased. I have an '89 GSXR 750 and it also rocks the dual round headlights which I love. High five.