Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DaNzA posted:

This is pretty good if you want something with friction but smooth overall, looks cool, huge and cheap, like 16" x 20" for 20 bucks cheap.

http://www.cshyde.com/c4web/C4Ngen04.htm

This is what I use as well. One of my cheap old logitech optical mice doesn't like the surface, causing it to be unresponsive and jerky. Other cheap mice I've tried work well with it, and of course the expensive mice work well too, so anyone reading this thread shouldn't have anything to worry about with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Gasmask posted:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that mouse? Now that I'm interested, I've been looking at different stores, but both NewEgg and Amazon don't seem to have it. I'm hoping it's not discontinued, but it looks like it might be.

I'm actually not sure how you'd get it. It came with my Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) G73 JH A-1. I think it only comes with the a-1 model with the backpack and such.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody actually used that Mad Catz shapeshifting mouse or whatever it's called? If you have, how is it?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
The best mousepads I have ever used are the Steel Series QCK series, I have a heavy now and it's huge. Like a mousetable huge. It's amazing, I had the QCK+ and it was a nice small pad, but I really like having the extra room.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Logitech G9x is one hell of a mouse and has been a really amazing upgrade from my MX518.

I LOVE the scroll wheel on it. I never switch modes on it once I set it to the free rolling setting or whatever it's called.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Sweeper posted:

The best mousepads I have ever used are the Steel Series QCK series, I have a heavy now and it's huge. Like a mousetable huge. It's amazing, I had the QCK+ and it was a nice small pad, but I really like having the extra room.

Yeah, steelseries is the way to go. It's not crazy expensive either.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Just chiming in to say that I rock a G9 and a fUnc sUrface 1030 from something like 5 years ago. I got a free Cooler Master Sentinel mouse with my new Cooler Master Storm Sniper case and it's really cool, but I just like my G9 better. The mouse has a loving OLED screen on it! And the LEDs change color and a bunch of poo poo is customizable. Had I not bought the G9 prior to getting this mouse, I'd certainly be using it. I just hate the transitional mouse period where you're getting used to it. The G9 DPI changing buttoms annoyed the hell out of me originally.

One question about DPI: Why the hell do you need such a high DPI mouse? In games like FPSs, how can you possibly be accurate when moving your mouse an inch makes you do a 360? I usually have my sensitivity set to whatever the second lowest is on the G9 and then put it to the 3rd lowest (middle?) for aiming in vehicles in BFBC2.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody actually used that Mad Catz shapeshifting mouse or whatever it's called? If you have, how is it?

Can't find it for sale yet anywhere. I actually emailed them about shipping, since the one place it was even on a store page didn't ship to Canada. Didn't get an answer about shipping but supposedly it will be available 'very soon'.

It's called the cyborg R.A.T. which is a dumb name, there's four versions; (from their site)

• Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Wireless, Fully Adjustable, 5600dpi laser; Programmable,; Weight System; Powered by Rechargeable Batteries
o MSRP: $129.99/ £99.99 / €129.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Fully Adjustable; 5600dpi laser; Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $99.99 / £79.99 / €99.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Adjustable Length; 4000dpi laser, Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $69.99/ £49.99 / €59.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Gaming Mouse
o Features: 3200dpi laser; USB powered
o MSRP: $49.99 / £34.99 / €49.99

The number 3 doesn't quite seem worth it, but I guess it looks cool.

Is it silly to advertise the maximum DPI? Since that's adjustable, and I don't see why anyone would run them at 5600, that seems like overkill. Seems like it could mislead folks into thinking that mice could be too sensitive.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 25, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Just chiming in to say that I rock a G9 and a fUnc sUrface 1030 from something like 5 years ago. I got a free Cooler Master Sentinel mouse with my new Cooler Master Storm Sniper case and it's really cool, but I just like my G9 better. The mouse has a loving OLED screen on it! And the LEDs change color and a bunch of poo poo is customizable. Had I not bought the G9 prior to getting this mouse, I'd certainly be using it. I just hate the transitional mouse period where you're getting used to it. The G9 DPI changing buttoms annoyed the hell out of me originally.

One question about DPI: Why the hell do you need such a high DPI mouse? In games like FPSs, how can you possibly be accurate when moving your mouse an inch makes you do a 360? I usually have my sensitivity set to whatever the second lowest is on the G9 and then put it to the 3rd lowest (middle?) for aiming in vehicles in BFBC2.

Wow had not ever seen that Sentinel mouse, but it looks like it has a really great shape. I like the right side to indent slightly so I can hook my pinky over it.

As for the DPI question, I generally do this:

Set the DPI meter for 5 settings instead of 3, I keep the first setting way, way low, like 200 DPI. Then I stage the middle 3 at about the middle, like 800/1000/1200, and then the last setting I keep rather high, like 3000.

so it looks kinda like: -|-----|||------|---

This helps me overcome some of the wonky mouse behavior in games. Like I jam it up to 5 for the slow vehicle turrets in BC2, and keep it on the first setting for over-sensitive mouse in Mass Effect 2. The middle 3 I jump between depending on the game for a good average feel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Teledahn posted:

Is it silly to advertise the maximum DPI? Since that's adjustable, and I don't see why anyone would run them at 5600, that seems like overkill. Seems like it could mislead folks into thinking that mice could be too sensitive.

Thanks for the info!

And yeah, having a mouse with a 5600 dpi laser would be like having an outdoor rock concert PA system in your bedroom. With a mouse set to that speed, I honestly think I'd have to really concentrate on moving the mouse *exactly* right to so much as click on a desktop icon. And you can forget about hyperlinks or other smaller buttons.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
DPI is the new GHz.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got the Razer Abyssus recently--it's their no-prediction model, so it does not try to correct your movements into straight lines--and it is pretty great. The scrollwheel doesn't work everywhere, which drives me nuts, but it's the most accurate/responsive mouse I've had and I love the buttons. I think it's $35 or so on Amazon.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

For the past few years I've been using a Logitech LX7:

Unfortunately lately it's started to not work properly. I took it apart and discovered the little plastic part that clicks the micro-switch has developed a groove and no longer engages reliably. So I get double clicks when I want single clicks, and I can't hold a click reliably to drag something.

I'm looking for a replacement, I do mostly CAD work and Photoshop work. No PC gaming or anything. I'd love to have forward/back buttons like on my current mouse and for it to be wireless.

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm looking to spend around the £30 mark.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Teledahn posted:

Can't find it for sale yet anywhere. I actually emailed them about shipping, since the one place it was even on a store page didn't ship to Canada. Didn't get an answer about shipping but supposedly it will be available 'very soon'.

It's called the cyborg R.A.T. which is a dumb name, there's four versions; (from their site)

• Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Wireless, Fully Adjustable, 5600dpi laser; Programmable,; Weight System; Powered by Rechargeable Batteries
o MSRP: $129.99/ £99.99 / €129.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Fully Adjustable; 5600dpi laser; Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $99.99 / £79.99 / €99.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Adjustable Length; 4000dpi laser, Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $69.99/ £49.99 / €59.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Gaming Mouse
o Features: 3200dpi laser; USB powered
o MSRP: $49.99 / £34.99 / €49.99

The number 3 doesn't quite seem worth it, but I guess it looks cool.

I can't find a release date anywhere. Totally buying one when it comes ou t

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Randuin posted:

I can't find a release date anywhere. Totally buying one when it comes out

Same boat brother. Half a mind to email them back, demanding them to let me buy their junk.

Painless
Jan 9, 2005

Turn ons: frogs, small mammals, piles of compost
Turn offs: large birds, pitchforks
See you at the beach!
The battery on my logitech revolution seems to be dying and I'd like to replace it with something whose software does not completely suck. Does microsoft make anything similar? Mostly I just want a lot of configurable buttons and a rechargeable battery (and also drag and drop should not randomly stop working and button configurations should not be randomly lost and I shouldn't need to install lovely third-party hacks to get middle click functionality :rant:)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Randuin posted:

I can't find a release date anywhere. Totally buying one when it comes ou t

The scroll wheel on my G5 is near death and I am going to need a new mouse rather badly pretty soon. I want to spend the money for a R.A.T. 9 but according to GameStop, "Pre-order Ships 8/24/2010". Whereas the R.A.T. 7 page, Pre-order Ships 7/1/2010.

Way to lose out on my money Madcatz.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I have a Logitech Performance MX, which I bought to replace my dying MX1000 (died after 3.5 years, unfortunately out of warranty). I thought that the MX1000 was the best mouse ever, but the Performance MX is clearly better (better tracking, unified receiver, better shape, 'thumb' button, better scroll wheel, much better battery life, charging cable rather than cradle means that you can use the mouse even while recharging).

It is the best mouse I have ever used or tried. I paid $80 CAD for mine, and even at full price I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Futhark
Apr 3, 2009

A5H posted:

For the past few years I've been using a Logitech LX7:

Unfortunately lately it's started to not work properly. I took it apart and discovered the little plastic part that clicks the micro-switch has developed a groove and no longer engages reliably. So I get double clicks when I want single clicks, and I can't hold a click reliably to drag something.

This has just started happening to my MX Revolution - such a pain in the rear end, considering everything else is fine and the MX is a terrific mouse.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Kadler posted:

The scroll wheel on my G5 is near death and I am going to need a new mouse rather badly pretty soon. I want to spend the money for a R.A.T. 9 but according to GameStop, "Pre-order Ships 8/24/2010". Whereas the R.A.T. 7 page, Pre-order Ships 7/1/2010.

Way to lose out on my money Madcatz.

Same here, the R.A.T. 9 is pretty much everything I was looking for in a mouse too :(

I don't want to be forced to getting a Razer Mamba

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
There are 3 mice for under 4 dollars on Newegg if you want a basic mouse in the interim.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Randuin posted:

Same here, the R.A.T. 9 is pretty much everything I was looking for in a mouse too :(

I don't want to be forced to getting a Razer Mamba

I guess I am getting the R.A.T. 7, basic law of product distribution is you always introduce the high end first and subsequently introduce lower later on as not to detract from the high margin item. Guess MadCatz skipped that day in school :pseudo:

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
The only difference between the 7 and 9 is the 9 is wireless. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think of them because I'm definitely interested in getting one.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The 9 has wireless, but they're including a pair of lithium batteries and a separate charging station. Seems like a cool idea, could have affected production since every other mouse lacks these features.

A one month delay isn't really a big marketing issue, at least doesn't seem so to me.
The appeal of wireless functionality should be more than enough to counteract it.

E: Also the bare-bones 3 version doesn't have a availability date yet, maybe they're abiding by this marketing suggestion.

http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=263

Where else have you seen it for sale people?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 14, 2010

-Risk
Jul 16, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What's everyone using for a mouse pad?

http://www.puretrak.com/products/item/6

It's the new QcK Heavy, absolutely flawless tracking with my gray IME3.0.

Anyone who knows what laser sensor is in the R.A.T?

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
So what are the big differences between the Logitech performance MX and the MX 1100? On amazon they are the same price at the moment.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What's a good, cheap, no-frills mouse? It should be wireless, preferably through Bluetooth but a USB dongle is fine. I'm one of those weird guys that use the mouse on with the left hand (I'm left handed), so it should be left hand usable. It'd be better if it was symmetrical though because I switch it up every now and then.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

MasterWerk posted:

i ended up taking the logitech g500 back. i liked the positioning of the buttons, in that they felt like they were raised to meet my fingers, but the length of the thing and the mammoth size compared to my beloved g9x was just too much for the way i like to guide the mouse with my fingertips. also didn't like the textured sides or the way it tracked. i didn't think the sensor positioning would matter much, but i was wrong.

it's a good mouse for palm grip people, but the g9's made my grip so particular.

good thing is, i didn't have to spend any more money on my computer upgradathon.

Quoting this from page 4. Been reading through the thread a couple of times in hopes of finding a good (corded) replacement for my MX1000 that I've been using for about 5 years.

I bought a G500 thinking it is cheaper than a G9x and looking very similar to my old MX1000 made me think it will be perfect. Turns out it really doesn't feel right in my hand. I suppose my short, chubby baby-fingers are to blame. If only it was about 1 cm shorter. Planning on returning it for a G9x.

Other than that, I can say the mouse is great. Only thing I noticed was slightly poor tracking during short movements, needing to move it a bit more than I thought. Probably just getting used to the new speed/mat/mouse weight.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

-Risk posted:

Anyone who knows what laser sensor is in the R.A.T?

I heard a few rumors that it was a Phillips. Also looking forward to seeing some reviews of this mouse, I've got my eye on the wireless one so I guess I'm waiting a while.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Looks like Gamestop is saying that the R.A.T. 9 is going to be August 24th, that's gonna be a while :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Randuin posted:

Looks like Gamestop is saying that the R.A.T. 9 is going to be August 24th, that's gonna be a while :(

First I saw the RAT7 release date was yesterday... then today... now July

What sort of business strategy is designed to keep me from buying it?!

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Teledahn posted:

The 9 has wireless, but they're including a pair of lithium batteries and a separate charging station. Seems like a cool idea, could have affected production since every other mouse lacks these features.

This is the killer feature that the old Logitech G7 mouse has. It is amazing and has kept me from upgrading off it for far too long. Unfortunately, my second G7 has developed clicking problems that I cannot fix - yes, I've been taking my mouse apart to fix it - and so I'm in the market for something a little more reliable.

I want a RAT 9 :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ZorbaTHut posted:

This is the killer feature that the old Logitech G7 mouse has. It is amazing and has kept me from upgrading off it for far too long. Unfortunately, my second G7 has developed clicking problems that I cannot fix - yes, I've been taking my mouse apart to fix it - and so I'm in the market for something a little more reliable.

Your in the same boat as me, mouse is dying and cant go another month without buying, hows it going RAT7 buddy. :smith:

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 26, 2010

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Hey, I really like the whole "smooth scrolling scroll wheel" thing, but has it ever been done by a manufacturer other than Logitech? I'm getting kind of sick and tired of mice that become unusable after like 4 months due to faulty switches bouncing like crazy and turning every click into a quadruple-click.

I've heard the wheel on the MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 and 6000 comes close, but that it's not quite frictionless and lacks inertia. Also apparently the transceiver sometimes overheats to the point of actually melting and lighting poo poo on fire, so that's a consideration.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Randuin posted:

Gamestop? Mad catz website has links to gameshark's webstore, where the whole line of mice are available. I can't seem to find it in gamestop's site. Care to link it? Found it, searching on a handheld doesn't work too well at times. It doesn't appear in gamestop's Canadian site. Not a good sign for me.

Anyone seen it in a retailer that either is in, or ships to Canada? Rather not take a road trip just for a mouse.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 28, 2010

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

ZorbaTHut posted:

Is every single click registered as a double click? That happened with mine. I eventually bought an MX518, and left the G7 sitting on a shelf - I've used it a couple of times since without the problem resurfacing :iiam:

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

Is every single click registered as a double click? That happened with mine. I eventually bought an MX518, and left the G7 sitting on a shelf - I've used it a couple of times since without the problem resurfacing :iiam:

It's not overly difficult to replace those switches. They are really cheap and easy to get. MS and logitech (and probably more) use the same switches. These are what I use to replace them. (1000000 operations sounds like a lot until you play diablo for an hour or two)

I've been through a few sets in my 9(ish?) year old intellimouse explorer 3.0. Also 2 cables and a couple sets of feet. Every time something goes wrong with it I buy a new mouse, use it for 5 mins, decide I don't like it, then fix old faithful. Amongst others, there's an original 1 thumb button g5 and an mx revolution gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere. I like the look of the g500 but I can't bring myself to spend that much on something that I know will most likely last 5 or 10 mins max.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the Logitech MX Revolution on my desktop and keep a Nano VX in my work bag for laptop use. The only thing I dont like about the MX is that its big, the battery needs to be charged weekly, and the back/forward browser buttons actually input text on pages rather than just functioning as a button (which can sometimes confuse your browser if you have a text field active)

I have the left and right scroll functions on both set to scroll to left/right tab accordingly, the middle click on the MX opens in new tab or closes clicked tab, and on the VX I assign that to the document flip button (since middle clicking the VX wheel goes to free wheel mode)

In terms of comfort I have smallish hands and I find the VX more comfortable to use. currently sitting at 141 days left on its 2x AAA batteries. Also, it has a nano receiver that plugs into the bottom of the mouse, under the battery tray, which doubles as the on/off switch. Its pretty badass.

Fake Edit: I also have the Logitech Di Novo keyboard and its loving glorious to type on. Logitech make fantastic products (if you buy the premium stuff - I find entry level to be poor)

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

This mouse has been mentioned before but I will have to put in my view of this mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Lachesis-Laser-Gaming-Banshee/dp/B000WU35JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277735928&sr=8-1

This is a piece of poo poo mouse, do not buy this mouse. It died on me about 6 months in, while my 5 year old laser mouse by microsoft works better than that. Looking up the reliability on this mouse it looks like the reliability of the mice from that company is pretty suspect, so I'd definitely go with Microsoft of Logitech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Chopstix posted:

This mouse has been mentioned before but I will have to put in my view of this mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Lachesis-Laser-Gaming-Banshee/dp/B000WU35JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277735928&sr=8-1

This is a piece of poo poo mouse, do not buy this mouse. It died on me about 6 months in, while my 5 year old laser mouse by microsoft works better than that. Looking up the reliability on this mouse it looks like the reliability of the mice from that company is pretty suspect, so I'd definitely go with Microsoft of Logitech.

After having to RMA my Deathadder after less than a year, and then buying a Mamba while waiting for my Deathadder to come back, I am done with Razer.

The Mamba basically fell apart with almost minimal use, and the replacement Deathadder is sitting on my shelf unopened.

When Razer was a new company and I had to RMA my boomslang a total of 3 times I could sorta understand. But they have been around for over 10 years now, with the price that they charge their products should be built a fair bit better.

I have reservations about some of Logitech and Microsoft's design choices for their gaming mice, but at least I can count on them still functioning 2 years after I buy them.