Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

King-Kong posted:

2008 Audi TT 2.0T, FWD. Got her one week ago to replace my totaled 335i. Nothing helps you get over the old quite like the new!

Ouch, insurance didn't pay out very well on that 335 did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot
Those fenders don't roll themselves you know..

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Das Volk posted:

Ouch, insurance didn't pay out very well on that 335 did they?

haha... they didnt give me any additional value for it being a CPO, so I lost a couple thousand from that, but I could have easily gotten another 335i if I wanted to.

Truth be told, I felt the 335i was more than I needed for a DD, so ultimately straight line performance wasn't my highest weighted attribute.

I test drove a G37 sport which I felt was laughably bad compared to the 335i/TT. Then I checked out the TT and found that despite the lack of straight-line speed, it's other attributes (looks, amazing cabin feel, DSG transmission, and ~550lb weight reduction) made up for the deficit.

One week with it, and I'm not missing the 335i. I won't try to compare the refinement or performance between the two of them - I still feel the 335i is the better driver's car. Mine was a 6mt with the sports package and I loved it, but the TT just speaks to me more. I don't know if it's similar to the love of Alfa's, where beautiful design overshadows horrible reliability and performance, but that's kind of where I'm at with it.

...I'll also be leveraging the cheaper payments to get a dedicated track car

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Not to make you feel bad or anything, but the TT is exclusive of the Castro here in San Francisco and executive assistants. One of my co-workers was driving his wife's TT (granted, it was the fast one) and was quick to explain that his car was being worked on. Hopefully that's not such a universal thing where you are, and I do know what you mean about how they are inside.

Calamari
Jul 12, 2003
If my head was on fire would you take the time to put it out ?

MetaJew posted:

The conclusion was: You want the "performance" brake pads, a higher temp brake fluid, and add brake ducting if you plan to track it.

Edit: Why get the NISMO pads at all if you don't have them already? You can probably find a better pad out there than the NISMO pad at the same price, no?

Honestly that makes a lot of sense in terms of price Vs performance. The only reason I like nismo is to keep the service guy happy for warranty. Still even the Nismo brake pad are a R-tune product. (no warranty, aftermarket)

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Yup. That poo poo was a lot of fun.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Das Volk posted:

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but the TT is exclusive of the Castro here in San Francisco and executive assistants. One of my co-workers was driving his wife's TT (granted, it was the fast one) and was quick to explain that his car was being worked on. Hopefully that's not such a universal thing where you are, and I do know what you mean about how they are inside.

If it's good enough for Clarkson... :smug:

I did strongly consider grabbing the TTS, but sadly I was talked back from the ledge by my own words of "not needing that kind of performance" (I think I hear the AI pitchforks off in the distance). The TTS will actually take a 335i down with ease. This Road & Track article is what put it on the map for me. In fact it was only a few seconds off the e92 M3 at C&D's VIR Lightning Lap.

Maybe I can appease the gods by finding a nice E30 to turn into my track car.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
It's good to see more TTs on the road. Enjoy. If you're near VA/NC, registration is still open for TT-East, which is on at the end of July. ;)

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Keepin it ~*FRESH*~

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are those tiffs?!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

A5H posted:

Are those tiffs?!

No, its a JPEG. :downsrim:

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Everyone knows the TTs are as much a chick's car as a Miata.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

RealKyleH posted:

No, its a JPEG. :downsrim:

I think he was talking about the shoes. If they are real Tiffs, then I'm jealous.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dude rocking legit tiffs would prolly have some baller rear end BBS' or something though.
*Owns some tiffanys* :smug:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

King-Kong posted:

I did strongly consider grabbing the TTS, but sadly I was talked back from the ledge by my own words of "not needing that kind of performance" (I think I hear the AI pitchforks off in the distance). The TTS will actually take a 335i down with ease. This Road & Track article is what put it on the map for me. In fact it was only a few seconds off the e92 M3 at C&D's VIR Lightning Lap
Why the gently caress do these tests never use the same tires on every car?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

destructo posted:

Why the gently caress do these tests never use the same tires on every car?

It's always the stock tires that ship with the car, right? It makes sense to some degree, that if you make a performance car, you're picking a tire to go along with it, and the car can be reviewed as such.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

It's always the stock tires that ship with the car, right? It makes sense to some degree, that if you make a performance car, you're picking a tire to go along with it, and the car can be reviewed as such.

This probably explains why Evos fare so well in tests :laugh:

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

kimbo305 posted:

Right... could end up being a slippery slope. I think the best idea is to keep the cars completely stock and let them battle it out.

In the R&T test, the 135i had softer rubber :raise:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

King-Kong posted:

Right... could end up being a slippery slope. I think the best idea is to keep the cars completely stock and let them battle it out.

In the R&T test, the 135i had softer rubber :raise:
If you're just going by the treadwear rating you could very well be incorrect.

kimbo305 posted:

The only reason I can think of that makes this difficult is the variety in tire size/rim width that might make finding one tire to fit all the models tested. Maybe I'm being stupid here, but I'd much rather see the differences in the cars, not some arbitrary wear item.

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 28, 2010

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

destructo posted:

If you're just going by the treadwear rating you could very well be incorrect.

While I appreciate the lack of standards for tread rating, we're still looking at 280 vs. 140.

If the ratings were closer together, say 280 vs. 300, I'd agree, but I dont think it's an unreasonable suggestion to say the potenza are softer than the contisport3.

Of course, the 135i comes with some pretty skinny tires (why did BMW do this, again?) while the TTS has 255's on all 4 corners. That's probably making more of a difference than the tread wear differences.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

destructo posted:

The only reason I can think of that makes this difficult is the variety in tire size/rim width that might make finding one tire to fit all the models tested. Maybe I'm being stupid here, but I'd much rather see the differences in the cars, not some arbitrary wear item.

I'd wager 50+% of enthusiasts buying performance cars run down their stock tires before getting new ones. If that's the case, then the tests done with stock tires do reflect those cars' performance for the first year or more of ownership.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

respect the yellow centercaps

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

A5H posted:

Dude rocking legit tiffs would prolly have some baller rear end BBS' or something though.

May have a gay vw but I would never be caught dead with lovely nikes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hatebreed posted:

May have a gay vw but I would never be caught dead with lovely nikes.

The gently caress are they then? Proper look like tiffs.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

DC Radar SE's with green/teal instead of white.

e: real picture. I'd love to find a updated version of them as they were REALLY bright when new. Now they're beat to poo poo because I don't care about em and I've replaced them with clarks/dressier DCs.

Hatebreed fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 28, 2010

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fags.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

King-Kong posted:

While I appreciate the lack of standards for tread rating, we're still looking at 280 vs. 140.

If the ratings were closer together, say 280 vs. 300, I'd agree, but I dont think it's an unreasonable suggestion to say the potenza are softer than the contisport3.

Of course, the 135i comes with some pretty skinny tires (why did BMW do this, again?) while the TTS has 255's on all 4 corners. That's probably making more of a difference than the tread wear differences.

You can't really compare different tyre companies' tread ratings, you can get very different lives out of equal rated tyres from, say, Pirelli and Bridgestone. Some car makers will spec a specific tyre and tune the car to use it (M3 CSL for example) whereas others use durable lovely tyres (Subaru and the RE92, for example).

A5H posted:

Just the stock wheels on the Saaburu, sorry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr JonboyG posted:

You can't really compare different tyre companies' tread ratings, you can get very different lives out of equal rated tyres from, say, Pirelli and Bridgestone. Some car makers will spec a specific tyre and tune the car to use it (M3 CSL for example) whereas others use durable lovely tyres (Subaru and the RE92, for example).

Lower rolling resistance tires can also give an extra edge in fuel economy, which can add up when you consider CAFE. The first gen Prius also used RE92s, it was all about the fuel economy.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

I really need to clean up those rock chips.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Just got it washed off for the first time. Have to wax it tomorrow with the Meguiar's wax I'm getting in. Used the same brand's wheel cleaner, and I think the results were great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Matlock fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 1, 2010

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Thats an ugly rear end car.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

They didn't have any Supras at the lot! Imagine my shame!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Why am I not surprised that VW fags are also shoe fags?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

At least he doesn't have a turbo wing on a non turbo supra like a poseur.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

_firehawk posted:

At least he doesn't have a turbo wing on a non turbo supra like a poseur.

Yet.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
All the wings on MKIV supra's are the same hth.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

frozenphil posted:

It's not all of us!

Just washed and waxed my '03 tonight.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

All the wings on MKIV supra's are the same hth.

In the US, only the turbo's have wings. The non turbo's look like this.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

_firehawk posted:

In the US, only the turbo's have wings. The non turbo's look like this.

Wasn't the spoiler a no-cost option on the turbo model too? The Japanese market ones could be optioned with the spoiler regardless of engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

frozenphil posted:

Does a beat up pair of New Balance and some (on sale) red G-Force driving shoes make me a shoe fag? If so :(

(I was in the middle of swapping over to rain tires hence the mismatched wheels)