Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

RichterIX posted:

How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.

I prefer it to Chungking Express. They're very similar in style obviously, but Fallen Angels had more interesting storylines and characters to me which are interwoven more cohesively together than the large division between the two in Chungking Express. Haven't picked up the bluray version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I like the contrast of all the red "Greatest Hits" PS3 games.

But, hey, at least it doesn't look like your bookshelf is going to explode and drop all of them on the floor like it used to.

Actually the red labels are a mostly new thing. A few of my non-greatest hits games have them too, just on the side of the case.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back to the Future Trilogy is confirmed for October 26 :woop:

code:
    * U-Control (BD-exclusive):
          o Setups & Payoffs: As you watch each of the three films, each "set up" showcases items in the scene that prepare you for a future plot point. When you get to that moment in the film, the "payoff" is shown to complete the correlation.
          o Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.
          o Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies 
    * Q&A commentaries with director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale
    * Feature commentaries with producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
    * Back to the Future Night: hosted by Leslie Nielson, this original 30-minute special aired on NBC prior to the first television screening of the Back to the Future (new, BD-exclusive)
    * Tales from the Future: new six-part retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg*
          o In the Beginning...: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
          o Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
          o Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
          o Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
          o Third Time's the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brown's love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
          o The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The film's cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on. 
    * The Physics of Back to the Future: A discussion with celebrity best-selling author and physicist Dr. Michio Kaku about the overall appreciation of the science in the Back to the Future Trilogy*
    * Nuclear test site ending storyboard sequence: Storyboard sequence of the original proposed ending of the film.*
    * Sixteen deleted scenes
    * Michael J. Fox Q&A
    * Archival featurettes:
          o Making the Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three: Original 2002 DVD documentary that takes a look back in time.
          o The Making of Back to the Future Part I, II & III: Provides a vintage and historic first look at the making of all three films.
          o The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy: a televised special hosted by Kirk Cameron addressing fans unanswered Back to the Future questions. 
    * Behind-the-scenes:
          o Outtakes
          o Original makeup tests
          o Production design
          o Storyboarding
          o Designing the DeLorean
          o Designing time travel
          o Hoverboard test
          o Designing Hill Valley
          o Designing the campaign 
    * Back to the Future: The Ride
    * Music Videos:
          o Huey Lewis and the News "Power of Love"
          o ZZ Top "DoubleBack" 
    * Photo galleries, including production art, additional storyboards, photographs, marketing materials and character portraits
    * Theatrical trailers
    * BD-Live
    * My Scenes
    * pocket BLU: USHE's pocket BLU app uses iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Blackberry, Android, Windows and Macintosh computers and more to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player and offers advanced features such as:
          o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
          o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in their favorite episode.
          o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there's a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
          o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
          o Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray player with your device's easy and intuitive keyboard. 

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

As if I needed another reason to watch it another 100 times :)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

doctor thodt posted:

Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

Click here for the full 1600x1168 image.

:sigh:

Doctor Thodt, making me feel like less of a fan every time I read this thread :(

on the other hand, Back to the Future Trilogy and Alien

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Moeru posted:

Doctor Thodt, making me feel like less of a fan every time I read this thread :(

on the other hand, Back to the Future Trilogy and Alien

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I just don't have anywhere near that level of disposable income. Blu-Ray doesn't care about poor people :mad:

At least Amazon has pretty good used prices a lot of the time, and since BDs hold up so well, you might as well be getting it new :shobon:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 28, 2010

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

quote:

Back to the Future Night: hosted by Leslie Nielson

Haha, instant purchase. Please don't ruin the transfer!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Haha, instant purchase. Please don't ruin the transfer!

From Bob Gale:

quote:

“The HD transfers for all three films are simply breath-taking,” Gale told BTTF.com. “They actually look better than they did in the theater because of the incredible job that was done on dirt clean-up. (And the film grain is preserved, so they still look like movies should look.) And hearing the sound in full dynamic range is — okay, I’ll say it — a blast!”

“I’m sure fans will enjoy the new documentaries, which include interviews with cast and crew members who — for budgetary reasons — were left out of the 2002 documentaries,” he explained. “So there are some stories and anecdotes told on camera for the first time. And since everyone wants to know, there are three very brief snippets of Eric Stoltz incorporated into one of the documentaries.”

Very happy to hear it won't be a DNR-fest, plus I'm interested to see why Stoltz's performance was deemed "too extreme". "Doc, WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING YOU lovely COCKSUCKER?!?!!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Predator Blu-Ray.com review. Welp.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The saddest part of that review:

quote:

I know I'm going to get hate mail, but I can't conscionably give this transfer any higher than a 2/5.

Why do people like that exist :saddowns:

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Bambi posted:

Why do people like that exist :saddowns:

Predator's user rating on that site is already a 5 vs the reviewer's 2.5. The hell?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Such a shame. :negative:

We have the original blu-ray to fall back on at least. Some movies don't even get that.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Topper Harley posted:

Predator's user rating on that site is already a 5 vs the reviewer's 2.5. The hell?

Blu-Ray.com's userbase is full of slobbering loving idiots who think that grain is the devil's dandruff. If you're brave enough to venture into the thread there for this release, you'll find a terrifying number of people singing the praises of the scrubbed, waxy picture.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

OldSenileGuy posted:

From Bob Gale:

Very happy to hear it won't be a DNR-fest, plus I'm interested to see why Stoltz's performance was deemed "too extreme". "Doc, WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING YOU lovely COCKSUCKER?!?!!"

"When YOUR MOM wants to suck YOUR COCK, I'LL put the needle in!"

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

RichterIX posted:

How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.

I adore it, and the blu-ray is great, though your mileage may vary if you were lukewarm on Chungking Express. The two movies are very similar though I do think Fallen Angels is a stronger movie and has a little more heart. For 10 bucks you might as well go for it, at the very least you get something gorgeous to look at.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

doctor thodt posted:

I am incredibly and unbelievably giddy for this. You guys have no idea. You wanna know why?

I have the trilogy on DVD... in full screen :qq: But hey, even though I've seen all three movies a thousand times, it will be an entirely new experience for me, because I haven't seen any of them in their original aspect ratio since I saw them in the theater all those years ago. Goddamn full screen DVDs as gifts.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bambi posted:

Blu-Ray.com's userbase is full of slobbering loving idiots who think that grain is the devil's dandruff. If you're brave enough to venture into the thread there for this release, you'll find a terrifying number of people singing the praises of the scrubbed, waxy picture.

You'll also find a few good points, like the following comparison shot that demonstrates that while some scenes are clearly going to suffer from the overzealous DNR, others will benefit from the higher quality transfer pre-DNR:

2008 release example shot
2010 Ultimate Hunter Edition comparison

I read the guy's post and he mentioned her hair, being able to see beads of blood in it - and it is absolutely true that the 2008 release's generally inferior encode and transfer doesn't expose details like that; I happen to really like the extreme level of detail that BD offers, so I'm conflicted. On the one hand, GRAIN IS BAD is just a dumb, film-illiterate position to take, and the level of DNR is really obnoxious in some stills we've had posted here... On the other, there are some things about the new version which stand out above the old one. I completely agree with the reviewer that this movie was not given a proper treatment. Basically digitally whitewashed the film elements out of it, completely inappropriate given that it was, as the reviewer says, filmed in a goddamned jungle. That's not pretty and shiny, nor is the story, and the blatantly artificial cleanliness of the new version definitely detracts from the classic, gritty mise en scčne of the whole production.

Nonetheless - and here's where my brain kind of breaks down - I'm going to buy it. I don't really like rewarding Fox for loving up the release like this so I'll probably wait for the first decently priced Used copy on Amazon. At least that way I'm not giving Fox the impression, for what little it's worth, that I personally approve of their treatment of the film. But I am willing to accept the deep concessions made to the integrity of the original in order to have some details that weren't available on the original. Maybe I'll try to Almost certainly going to pick up a copy of the 2008 version, too, warts n' all... If the thread there is any indication, there'll be plenty of people selling the 2008 version.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 29, 2010

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Predator sells at Wal-Mart on the rack next to the checkout stand. I doubt the sort of people who would be offended by excessive DNR are even a blip on Fox's marketing radar for this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So it sounds like the 2008 blu-ray isn't much better, but between the lesser of the two evils, the 2008 one is the one to get?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

I said come in! posted:

So it sounds like the 2008 blu-ray isn't much better, but between the lesser of the two evils, the 2008 one is the one to get?

I'm in full support of grain, but the 2008 blu-ray looks like total poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Good Lord, they ruined the hand-shake, Arnold's arm looks an 80's animatronic

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Those are some shiny biceps right there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Well... sort of... not really... I don't know. Pick your poison, a mediocre transfer and outdated encoding (plus no extras) for a generally "huh, this isn't really all that HD looking at all" experience; or, basically an airbrushed version that removes all traces that this was actually shot on film in a jungle. The new release definitely pops (kind of starting to hate that word, since the connotation to the consumer leads to demand for this sort of fidelity loss), has better contrast, and doesn't have compression artifacts that the 2008 one did, thanks to the foundation of this new 2010 release being a brand new transfer with a modern encoding process. If they had just done the new HD master and released that on the dual-layer BD with the extras and poo poo, I guarantee you that fans would have loved it. It would have looked awesome. There would definitely be film grain, but that's because it was, I'm kind of sounding like a broken record here, SHOT ON FILM IN THE JUNGLE. It's supposed to look kind of gritty. It would have looked gritty, but really detailed, as you would expect.

The 2008 release is, to my eyes, not incredibly better in comparison to the best DVD release of the film. In fact I like the color temperature of the DVD better, frankly, and they both have issues with noticeable compression artifacts and some squashing in their colors, with the 2008 BD having less issues than the DVD because even though it's using a lame old encoder at least it has more space to work with. But, it does feature characteristically superior BD audio, and that makes a substantial difference too.

My metric for whether a BD release is purchase-worthy boils down to "does this provide an experience that is better than the DVD?" And while it is flawed, the 2008 release does at least live up to that. So if you have to have Predator on BD, and you really object to the gratuitous DNR and sort of artificiality of the 2010 release, then the 2008 one will give you a better Predator than the DVD, at least.

Rocco posted:

I'm in full support of grain, but the 2008 blu-ray looks like total poo poo.

It's just not as much better than the DVD than we reasonably expect, especially lame since it was 2008 and they should have done a better job on it than they did. Comparison shots between the standard-def DVD and the 2008 BD do show visual improvement (and of course the audio is way better). Again, I actually like the color temperature of the last DVD release better than the 2008 BD, it's warmer overall and using a good upscaling player it still looks good. Still, the '08 BD is more detailed, even if it's hounded by visible compression artifacts that can be almost as annoying as smear from mega-DNR...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 29, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today's a good day:

The Leopard
Everlasting Moments
The White Ribbon
The Crazies
Hot Tub Time Machine
Versus
When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors

At least I can save a few bucks by not having to buy Predator.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I don't care what anyone says, I'll take the new Predator disc over the 2008 one.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Killer Inside Me 9/28
The Human Centipede 10/5
Fantasia/Fantasia 200 12/7

I watched The White Ribbon last night. It is indeed on par with the best-looking Blu-Rays out there.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

doctor thodt posted:

Versus

Is it the Ultimate version?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I figure I'll ask anyway...

Are any other studios doing anything comparable to Warner Bros.' Red2Blu program, where you trade your HD DVDs in for Blu-rays? I'm about to unload my entire HD DVD kit on my sister, who needs a DVD player, and would like to swap out as much stuff as possible beforehand.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Today I purchased Taken for $10 (hello sale). Unfortunately I can't watch it anytime soon because my 80 gig PS3 isn't reading blu-ray discs or PS3 games properly anymore (games and movies sieze up after a while; is it the bd drive or the lens, perhaps?). So until I get it cleaned/fixed/replaced I'll have to wait but I didn't want to turn down what is supposed to be a decent movie at that price.

It's a blind purchase so I have to ask, is it any good? :ohdear:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cherokee Jack posted:

Today I purchased Taken for $10 (hello sale). Unfortunately I can't watch it anytime soon because my 80 gig PS3 isn't reading blu-ray discs or PS3 games properly anymore (games and movies sieze up after a while; is it the bd drive or the lens, perhaps?). So until I get it cleaned/fixed/replaced I'll have to wait but I didn't want to turn down what is supposed to be a decent movie at that price.

It's a blind purchase so I have to ask, is it any good? :ohdear:
The movie was a surprise at how decent of an action/thriller it was. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but it's an enjoyable watch and looks fairly good on blu ray too.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Harlock posted:

The movie was a surprise at how decent of an action/thriller it was. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but it's an enjoyable watch and looks fairly good on blu ray too.

Cool. Looks like it has decent features as well. :)

Saw Time Bandits for $14 but it's got squat for special features. Damnit.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Black Narcissus looks amazing
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreview2/blacknarcissus.htm

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/301882/lionsgate-press-release-the-third-man-and-delicatessen-blu-ray

Specs for The Third Man via Lionsgate.

Doesn't look like a total loss, but there's a major error that sums up Lionsgate for the most part.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/301882/lionsgate-press-release-the-third-man-and-delicatessen-blu-ray

Specs for The Third Man via Lionsgate.

Doesn't look like a total loss, but there's a major error that sums up Lionsgate for the most part.

Sweet, Delicatessen at last!

I must be too tired to spot it, what is this major error? Is it the misspelling of Cotten?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe they leveled all the Dutch angles.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is the transfer going to be the same? I'd like to have the Criterion Third Man for entirely superficial reasons, but all I really care about ultimately is having the film in the best transfer possible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't imagine how it could be better; not only is the Criterion disc transfer fantastic, StudioCanal have already demonstrated that they don't really give a poo poo.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Haha, welp. gently caress.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't imagine how it could be better; not only is the Criterion disc transfer fantastic, StudioCanal have already demonstrated that they don't really give a poo poo.

Stop linking DVD images.:hurr:

Who is worse StudioCanal or Dragon Dynasty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just remembered that I PMed doctor thodt about his TTM copy and didn't get a response. :saddowns:

• Locked thread