Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The most amusing script breakage I've seen yet (I'm not very far in) is in the NSF headquarters. I tried a couple of times to send the signal, then got 7 or 8 troops to immediately come after me, which was more than I could handle. So, feeling like a smart person, I took out the two guards on the rooftop while they were still friendly, thinking that I'd just have that many fewer guards come after me. Instead, I then sent the signal, and... nothing. The rest of the guards were friendly and non-aggressive until I left the building. Once I was back in Hell's Kitchen, the game unfucked itself and the remaining guards were hostile, but it made that level much easier than it would otherwise have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Incoherence posted:

The most amusing script breakage I've seen yet (I'm not very far in) is in the NSF headquarters. I tried a couple of times to send the signal, then got 7 or 8 troops to immediately come after me, which was more than I could handle. So, feeling like a smart person, I took out the two guards on the rooftop while they were still friendly, thinking that I'd just have that many fewer guards come after me. Instead, I then sent the signal, and... nothing. The rest of the guards were friendly and non-aggressive until I left the building. Once I was back in Hell's Kitchen, the game unfucked itself and the remaining guards were hostile, but it made that level much easier than it would otherwise have been.

That's strange because the developers expected some players to eliminate the guards first on subsequent playthroughs. I know this because if you take out all the guards before sending the signal, Simons says something about the guards not responding when he orders them to kill you.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Oh great, my two DXIW gamesaves refuse to load. I got to Cairo. And now every time I try to load it I just crash directly to my desktop. What a shame.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing I've always wondered: How come the plasma gun has a Doom-style view on it, while everything else is traditional FPS? Was the game originally intended to have every weapon like that?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Oh great, my two DXIW gamesaves refuse to load. I got to Cairo. And now every time I try to load it I just crash directly to my desktop. What a shame.

You should thank Windows for the great service it has provided you.

jazman84
Aug 23, 2007
Bow Chicka Wow Wow..

jusion posted:

Unless you're running the game on a 2000 pentium 4 system at 640x480, you'll probably want to download and run this:
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Is there a directx9c fix for cretins like me who still run XP?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

jazman84 posted:

Is there a directx9c fix for cretins like me who still run XP?
He means the compatibility fixer, not the DirectX 10 thing.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Hammsturabi posted:

That's strange because the developers expected some players to eliminate the guards first on subsequent playthroughs. I know this because if you take out all the guards before sending the signal, Simons says something about the guards not responding when he orders them to kill you.
drat I love how the designers designed the game around our possible shenanigans.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Fox V2 posted:

drat I love how the designers designed the game around our possible shenanigans.

The one thing that sucks about Shifter is that the penalty for killing civilians makes is largely impractical to methodically kill all the guards beforehand.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The one thing that sucks about Shifter is that the penalty for killing civilians makes is largely impractical to methodically kill all the guards beforehand.

I did it anyway. :black101:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah that really annoys me as well. Shifter is pretty good otherwise, but I just want to also be able to do a murderous rear end in a top hat JC run and enjoy the other Shifter features.

jazman84
Aug 23, 2007
Bow Chicka Wow Wow..

Incoherence posted:

He means the compatibility fixer, not the DirectX 10 thing.

Oh I see. Do you or anyone know if there are any packs for DirectX9?

Cheers.

jazman84 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing through this game for the first time ever about a month ago without even knowing this thread existed. I caved in because of combined "10 year anniversary" stuff and years of hearing it being lauded over and over again. I'm playing completely vanilla and I'm loving every minute of it. This proves for me that, without any nostalgic factors whatsoever, this game is objectively loving awesome.

If I'm in Paris now, about how many more missions/areas do I have left? Because it seems like the conspiracy theories are coming at me from all angles and it's threatening to bog down what has so far been an incredibly engaging story...it would suck if it ended on a poor note/dragged on too long.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Takanago posted:

Yeah that really annoys me as well. Shifter is pretty good otherwise, but I just want to also be able to do a murderous rear end in a top hat JC run and enjoy the other Shifter features.

I haven't looked into that specific change, but since the files in shifter are plain unrealscript, they're quite easy to modify. I would imagine eliminating skill point penalties entirely would be a trivial affair.

edit: do a find/replace in deusex.u . Replace this: (numPoints != 0) with thi: (numPoints > 0) . It reverts a change made in Shifter; this will mean that Shifter can't take away skill points.

It would be possible to eliminate individual sources of skill point loss pretty easily, but this is a quick and easy way to be an rear end in a top hat with Shifter!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2010

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
If you don't mind disabling the bonuses from killing hostiles, I remember an INI file setting you can change, like NewSkillSystem or something. It doesn't turn off the stealth bonuses, though. I don't have Shifter installed right now, or I'd check what it was.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I just non-lethaled with the prod and tranq darts.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Holy poo poo UNATCO just wasted all of the NYPD riot cops after my conversation with Dowd. I haven't played in ages so is this normal or am I forgetting something?

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Happens to me too, no idea why

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Just Offscreen posted:

I just non-lethaled with the prod and tranq darts.

Doesn't this also incur a penalty :confused:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

dyzzy posted:

Doesn't this also incur a penalty :confused:

Nope! :D

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

Takanago posted:

Shoot them in the leg until the crosshair turns red. Shoot them in the head. +45 exp!

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

In Training posted:

it would suck if it ended on a poor note/dragged on too long.

I'm laughing at this in real life, the idea that Deus Ex could possibly be too long or that there could be too many conspiracy theories is just so ridiculous

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Le Sean posted:

There is no unique GEP or thrower :(

This is the saddest news for my ginger JC flamethrower run. I'm happy I just found the unique baton at Mr. Renton's counter the last time you visit Hell's Kitchen. Smuggler sells an auto-shotgun for the outrageous price of 7500 credits. Is that the unique? Because there's no way in hell('s Kitchen) that I have that much money at that point in the game.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Holy poo poo UNATCO just wasted all of the NYPD riot cops after my conversation with Dowd. I haven't played in ages so is this normal or am I forgetting something?

This post made me want to reinstall Oblivion. No, they're not supposed to do that.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

In Training posted:

I started playing through this game for the first time ever about a month ago without even knowing this thread existed. I caved in because of combined "10 year anniversary" stuff and years of hearing it being lauded over and over again. I'm playing completely vanilla and I'm loving every minute of it. This proves for me that, without any nostalgic factors whatsoever, this game is objectively loving awesome.

If I'm in Paris now, about how many more missions/areas do I have left? Because it seems like the conspiracy theories are coming at me from all angles and it's threatening to bog down what has so far been an incredibly engaging story...it would suck if it ended on a poor note/dragged on too long.

It definitely doesn't drag on too long. From Paris you're at about the 2/3rds point in the game.

I think the best thing Deus Ex did was it was very much a 'show, don't tell' game. Which is really hard to do. Long chunks of exposition are really cheap and easy to do. The whole game just nails the idea of showing the story and not just narrating it in cutscenes. From Anna and Gunther being overly violent and Paul's entreaties to use non-violence, to Versalife and seeing just how insane MJ12 is, ever up to the final level and seeing the biological tanks and knowing what that means.. There's no point in the game where anyone just zooms in and says "Ok, here's what's going on." You really do have to put it together and I think that's the most ingenious thing about this game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Koholint posted:

I just blew up the generator in Hell's Kitchen before I did any of the side objectives. Can I go back or am I screwed?

You should be alright unless you took the chopper, obviously.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I am at uhhh, vandenburg I think.

How much further do I have? I forget.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I am at uhhh, vandenburg I think.

How much further do I have? I forget.

4 more missions

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So do I not even aim with the laser sight? The thing just seems to constantly waver. Does it auto focus? (I haven't gone lethal yet).

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

OregonDonor posted:

So do I not even aim with the laser sight? The thing just seems to constantly waver. Does it auto focus? (I haven't gone lethal yet).
Are you using Shifter? In the original a Laser sight made the gun perfectly accurate, whereas in Shifter it's tied to your gun skill and tells you where the bullet will land.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I am using Shifter. Ah, that explains the wavering, then. I thought the sight seemed different from Vanilla but I wasn't sure. So a Master skill will pinpoint the sight and reduce wavering?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

I am using Shifter. Ah, that explains the wavering, then. I thought the sight seemed different from Vanilla but I wasn't sure. So a Master skill will pinpoint the sight and reduce wavering?

With Master-level weapon skills you should have next to no sway (you might still need accuracy mods), yes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jblade posted:

Are you using Shifter? In the original a Laser sight made the gun perfectly accurate, whereas in Shifter it's tied to your gun skill and tells you where the bullet will land.

If anybody knows which line of Shifter to delete to fix this, that would be super.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stuntman posted:

One thing I've always wondered: How come the plasma gun has a Doom-style view on it, while everything else is traditional FPS? Was the game originally intended to have every weapon like that?
Nah, that's just because JC likes to straddle the plasma rifle.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.
I know I'm being totally blind here, but could someone link the IW resolution fixer and renderer/texture updates? I was sure they were mentioned somewhere on the last five or six pages, or even the OP, but I can't see them for some reason.
A friend just finished playing through IW and says that if he can do it, I have to, and I want it to be as painless as possible.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

Nah, that's just because JC likes to straddle the plasma rifle.

What a gun.

Reading this thread has led to me replaying DX to try out these newfangled mods. Biomod is about the best thing ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stuntman posted:

I figured it was a holdover from how the old Unreal games let you change your dominant hand or have you two hand every weapon and they just left that set to center instead of right by mistake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I figured it was a holdover from how the old Unreal games let you change your dominant hand or have you two hand every weapon and they just left that set to center instead of right by mistake.

I just imagine that he holds it that way because it's heavy as all gently caress. It is a prototype, after all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The plasma gun is displayed that way because it's actually JC Denton's dick. His semen is augmented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

His semen is augmented.

Loaded with nanetes.