Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Rode it, yesterday and today.

Forgot my real camera.

Found an awesome defunct gas station.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Rode into work today and saw this beautiful machine in motorcycle parking.

I let Marv Hushman talk me into riding at lunch. It's the first time I've ridden in dress shoes and without leg armor in years. Of course we had to take the road where I had both of my wrecks. :monocle: I felt naked, unprotected, and ill at ease. Either way, I survived and I'm better man for it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crayvex posted:

The Road King and the Glide are certainly sexy machi- oh you're talking about the BMW? :patriot:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

I let Marv Hushman talk me into riding at lunch. It's the first time I've ridden in dress shoes and without leg armor in years. Of course we had to take the road where I had both of my wrecks. :monocle: I felt naked, unprotected, and ill at ease. Either way, I survived and I'm better man for it.

I didn't fully realize how trashed the moto-lot is. That R75's about three inches away from being sucked down Snake River Canyon...

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Installed some Renthal Streetfighter bars on my 92' Yamaha XJ600.

It's in the middle of a headlight swap and paint job currently.

Sir.Tucker fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 25, 2010

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- Pulled the front wheel to take another run at the speedometer problem. The pickup gear tabs and stationary clip on the wheel appear to be mated correctly, since there's no way to get it wrong; oriented the assembly behind the fork stop where it belongs, but still nada. Jumped to 10mph for one brief shining moment, but right back to zip. ARRGHHHH. Maybe I borked the cable somehow.

- Adjusted the chain, which was roughly 1" out of spec. Half a hash mark brought it back.

- More undercarriage degunking--found a buried grease fitting for the swingarm. Maybe I should like...use it or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

- Pulled the front wheel to take another run at the speedometer problem. The pickup gear tabs and stationary clip on the wheel appear to be mated correctly, since there's no way to get it wrong; oriented the assembly behind the fork stop where it belongs, but still nada. Jumped to 10mph for one brief shining moment, but right back to zip. ARRGHHHH. Maybe I borked the cable somehow.

Check where the cable goes into the speedo. My Silverwing's cable was loose and it would do that.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried out a new camera angle with the GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42aHvHr8ZQ&fmt=22

Didn't know how the results would look when I mounted the camera but it turned out well.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Gave it my usual morning inspection before heading to work.

http://twitpic.com/1ztu3r

Then called my local Ducati dealer :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

Gave it my usual morning inspection before heading to work.

http://twitpic.com/1ztu3r

Then called my local Ducati dealer :(

Most any decent grade nut will work to reattach the header, unless I'm missing something here...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Z3n posted:

Most any decent grade nut will work to reattach the header, unless I'm missing something here...

The two half flanges which parted ways, and a new gasket while I'm in there. Yeah, the nuts are just M8, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

The two half flanges which parted ways, and a new gasket while I'm in there. Yeah, the nuts are just M8, though.

Ahh, i see. The GSX-R500 engine had a similar setup. I thought it was like my DRZ which just uses the main brace to hold the exhaust in, no fiddly flanges or gaskets to deal with. :haw:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Z3n posted:

Ahh, i see. The GSX-R500 engine had a similar setup. I thought it was like my DRZ which just uses the main brace to hold the exhaust in, no fiddly flanges or gaskets to deal with. :haw:

Yeah, that'd be nice, but instead I have a week of downtime on it. This is why I have two bikes :D

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jump started the bike today... I think I left the parking lights on last night :downs:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
It turns out my internal speedometer is a poor substitute for an actual speedometer, or so sayeth Officer Buzz. 85 in a 70 on an '83 Nighthawk. Is that even possible? O, the irony of watching the wifebeater and flip-flop crowd fly by at at least that speed while my rear end was parked on the guard rail looking for documents. 1200 miles to and through Dukes of Hazzard country earlier this month and I didn't even SEE a cop.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I told ya at lunch yesterday that the NightHawk was flying! That sucks, dude!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

I told ya at lunch yesterday that the NightHawk was flying! That sucks, dude!

But it's only supposed to fly at night...

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005
Replaced chain and sprockets, maybe I should take better care of my things.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Ninja.Bob posted:

I'd say you got your money's worth out of those... sheesh

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ninja.Bob posted:

drat that's impressive. What camera setup were you using for that?

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005

Z3n posted:

drat that's impressive. What camera setup were you using for that?

I assume you are talking about the macro. It is just my Canon 450D with the 18-55 kit lens with a reversal ring and a 50/1.8. Very cheap setup but has horrible vignetting (cropped out).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of getting your money's worth, my clutch fluid was turning black, and then I realized I haven't changed it in over 2 years. :( So I bled the brakes and clutch and should have all-new fluid in both. A few days ago I also synced the carbs, which weren't too far off in the first place, and turned up idle a little. It was below the point where it starts raising in RPMs, so I turned it up to the threshold at least.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mounted up the new Bi-Color KTM wheel to the 690.

God mounting those front tires is a bitch. The massive brake rotor and huge Brembo caliper leave you less than no space to get the wheel on. After about 40 minutes of attempting (for the 2nd time) to get the wheel back on, I cheesed out and unscrewed the brake rotor, slid the wheel on, the axle through and then reattached the rotor to the wheel. That had it done in like 2 minutes. Guess I'm doing that from now on.

Seriously though, the clearance on the front wheel for this thing is stupid. So there's a supermoto buying hot tip; buy a DRZ because the front brake is lovely and really easy to get back in place when you change a tire. Don't buy a KTM because the front brake is huge and a massive pain in the rear end.

It does look loving aces now though, god drat do I love me some half orange wheels.

Also the new slicks I'm running as a street tire sure are going to be interesting in the rain.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Looking at this reminds me I need to put my axle slider back on...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Mounted up the new Bi-Color KTM wheel to the 690.

God mounting those front tires is a bitch. The massive brake rotor and huge Brembo caliper leave you less than no space to get the wheel on. After about 40 minutes of attempting (for the 2nd time) to get the wheel back on, I cheesed out and unscrewed the brake rotor, slid the wheel on, the axle through and then reattached the rotor to the wheel. That had it done in like 2 minutes. Guess I'm doing that from now on.

Seriously though, the clearance on the front wheel for this thing is stupid. So there's a supermoto buying hot tip; buy a DRZ because the front brake is lovely and really easy to get back in place when you change a tire. Don't buy a KTM because the front brake is huge and a massive pain in the rear end.

It does look loving aces now though, god drat do I love me some half orange wheels.

Also the new slicks I'm running as a street tire sure are going to be interesting in the rain.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Looking at this reminds me I need to put my axle slider back on...

:haw:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

:haw:

You joke but in the height of my swearing one of the solutions I was considering was going to a machine shop and turning my 320MM rotor into a 319MM rotor...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Had it fall over in the drat parking lot somewhere :argh:

Clutch lever pushed up against the plastic, deformed it a little

Mostly ok, just the scratch and ding are the major damage, and sadness that it is no longer perfect :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

Mostly ok, just the scratch and ding are the major damage, and sadness that it is no longer perfect :(

Well now that the newness has worn scraped off you won't feel as guilty taking it to MAM! :haw:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Another moto mod brought to you by Ghetto Solutions, Inc.

Studied the parts diagrams; nothing missing. Studied the parts themselves; nothing tweaked, warped, hardware tight. Just a clutch handle that behaved like a played out joystick. Wouldn't take a standard washer, so I improvised a bit. End result is awesome, and the extra material sits under it through the entire path of travel. Now to find one in black...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

needknees posted:

Well now that the newness has worn scraped off you won't feel as guilty taking it to MAM! :haw:

Actually I'll have transportation available for it in August probably, so I might try it out if they have any schools left by then

I guess I would have to get a suit too

But seriously, asphalt should be banned as a paving surface, at least anywhere it gets above 60 or below 40 or rains

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
Started with some cheap mods to the Duke. Swapped the end caps on the exhaust cans, which is the easiest, most half-assed way to get a little more flow. Stepped up to a 160 main jet. Removed the air box lid. Moved the needle clip to the bottom position. And drilled out the vacuum slide holes to 2.8 mm.

Then took it for a 150 mile shakedown run.

Even without any real fine tuning, there was a noticeable improvement. Pulls like a whipped donkey everywhere above 4K. Pulled my first little power wheelie today. While low down, it still has some of it's characteristic single snatchiness, it's much better in the power band on partial and closed throttle. I've always sucked at being smooth when down shifting/engine braking. So much so I almost gave up on it. I'm now realizing that a lot of that had to do with fueling issues on the bike.

So I'm pretty pumped about the outcome. When I have more time, I'll do the true core mod to the pipes. They kinda sound like rear end right now. And also see what I can do to fine tune the jetting without access to any kind of dyno.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Rode to Colorado on my KLR, with my girlfriend Becktastic on her DRZ :D
http://tinyurl.com/26k9x7w

I'm really bad at ride reports so I'll just summarize and let becky post pictures and videos later because she took them all

Day 1
Rode to Alpine from Tucson via Hwy 191, camped at Luna Lake
Day 2
Parent's house in Phoenix, through Payson
Day 3
friend's house in Flagstaff via 89a
Day 4
Rode up and camped in the Grand Canyon
Day 5
Zion National Park
Day 6
Monument Valley
Day 7-8
Moab, Arches National Park we went skydiving!
Day 9
Tried to make it to Gunnison via Cinnamon Pass, took a wrong turn up CorkScrew Gulch, and it started raining and I started crashing, so we turned back and stayed in Ouray for the night
Day 10-12
ChickFest!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I changed the oil and oil filter element on the 77 CB750K. I've only ridden it twice this year, but the oil was from last year and I had no idea when the element had last been changed. I didn't change the filter last year because the oil filter bolt was hosed and I didn't want to force it out without a replacement nearby.

The old one was 12 or 13mm. The new one has a nice 16mm head on it.

When I got the assembly off, it was clear that the oil filter, spring, and retaining washer were put in wrong. The spring and filter were reversed and the washer was missing altogether. The rubber grommet on the oil filter was pushed inside the filter as well. I'd bitch about the PO, but the last person who probably changed it was my late father. Don't push me over, dad! (My big bike accident was on the anniversary of my father's death)

Lotsa dirty oil was in there:

I cleaned the gently caress out of the filter housing and then proceeded to drop it in the dirty oil pan when I tried to bolt it back on the bike. Oh well, on a bike with this many oil leaks, it doesn't make sense to make it cherry.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got pulled over leading a trio of cycles through Stevens Pass. My wife chose the perfect time to pull out of formation and pass at like 90mph: when there was a WSP officer coming up the other way. We were only doing like 70-75, which is flow of traffic for the section we were on.

Unfortunately for me, the cop saw her doing whatever speed she was doing at the time on the Buell, interpreted it as ME doing 90, and gave me the biggest ticket out of all of us.

I'm still not certain how you can get a reliable radar reading on 3 bikes inline all at the same time.

Anyone know a good King County (Seattle area) traffic attorney?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mucklestone. Accept no substitutes.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Rode the VL800 around E-town, checking out some new trucks. Realized that at high 20's with backed up traffic downtown, I might want to invest in some mesh rather than the leather jacket for this weather.

Later that evening, I had to go to Drayton Valley for a bit of business. An hour and a half one way, so I invited Odinallfather along. Back by 10pm. It was to be his first highway trip, so I threw my K7 in the saddlebag. On the way out the door, his wife calls out that a big rear end storm was to hit the city. Pshaw we say. Filling up the steeds, I point out the clouds, thinking how they remind me of the clouds at the end of The Terminator. I point them out to Odin, and he fires up The Mighty 500. Lets ride!

So off we go. Things are going well, south out of the city to Leduc, then west on 39. I'm optimistic, it looks like we'll be just south of the storm. A few miles down the road, I realize my optimism was misplaced. We will be getting wet. Gas up in Warburg, we're not sure of the Shadows' highway mileage. If we're going to get wet, we'll do it riding, not on the side of the road out of gas. On the road, 5 minutes later we're in a pretty awesome thunderstorm. Odin had the sense to have a full face on, meanwhile I'm attempting something resembling full tuck behind my windscreen. Not too comfy on a cruiser.

Make it to Drayton, straight to the Tim Hortons. Do what I have to do, dry out and then proceed to wait until we feel lucky enough to move on. North, this time on 22, maybe this will let the storm get ahead of us enough to not get stormed on. It's looking good, sunny, rolling. A beauty of a ride to 16, then east towards home. But it was not to last. A gas stop in Stony Plain, and then set off nervously towards the city veiled under a cloud of impending doom. Right into the storm again. We arrived, soaked, cold, tired and grinning from ear to ear. Odinallfather exclaims, "That was awesome!' We pound it, and I'm off to find something warm and dry to climb into.

so, tl;dr Riding in a massive thunderstorm getting soaked to the skin was about the best ride so far.

Wish I had some pics though :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Speaking of, on our way home from eastern WA over WA-20, we ran into 80 miles of solid rain from about 10 miles up from Newhalem to about Marysville. None of us had rain gear on, but fortunately for us, we were being followed by my friend with his Explorer full of camping gear which included my rain gear.

As I was waving him into the parking lot we were in, now UNfortunately for us, he drives right by, looking right through me. Try to call on the cell, no service in bumfuck Whatcom County.

Great, more miles of rain with nothing but my Bell shorty, mesh gloves (or fingerless, my choice!), jeans, and my leather. Oh and I took my windshield off cause we were only gonna be doing like 200 miles per day, half through desert, with a weather report of "slim chance of rain".

I've braved Montana thunderstorms with a half helmet using the windshield + full-tuck method, this doesn't compare.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

There's your trouble. Snapped speedo pickup blade was lodged in the end of the cable. Routing was highly suspect too, so I need to find some pictures of the original layout.

Crayvex learned me how to pop this thing onto the center stand. My approach (sort of a half-assed reverse kick start) was all wrong. What can I say, in Harleyland all we have are "jiffy stands." Yes, that's still the official terminology.

Much night riding.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Crayvex learned me how to pop this thing onto the center stand. My approach (sort of a half-assed reverse kick start) was all wrong. What can I say, in Harleyland all we have are "jiffy stands." Yes, that's still the official terminology.

I learned many things riding the old cop bike. One of them was how to lift a 600+ lb bike onto the center stand by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Crayvex posted:

I learned many things riding the old cop bike. One of them was how to lift a 600+ lb bike onto the center stand by myself.

Elaborate! I had a hell of a time getting my CB700 up onto it's stand, and it topped out around 500lbs. I wound up standing on the stand (har) with my right foot while holding the bars. Then I'd kick straight backwards with my left leg while leaning back and jerking hard (ahem). Usually took two or three tries.