Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

benwards posted:

Elaborate! I had a hell of a time getting my CB700 up onto it's stand, and it topped out around 500lbs. I wound up standing on the stand (har) with my right foot while holding the bars. Then I'd kick straight backwards with my left leg while leaning back and jerking hard (ahem). Usually took two or three tries.

Marv is a better writer than me, but I'll try to describe it. The following instructions assume you are right handed.

1) Stand on the left side of the bike. (Clutch lever side)
2) Grab the left hand grip with your left hand and and then the left rear grab bar with your right hand.
3) Tilt the bike away from you until it is level
4) Put your right foot on the center stand peg and then roll the bike slightly back while lifting up with you right hand on the grab bar
5) It should roll a few inches and pop right up!

Hint - I found that rolling the back tire onto a small piece of wood like a 2x4 before you follow the above steps makes it super easy. That way you're not lifting the bike very much.

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

Hint - I found that rolling the back tire onto a small piece of wood like a 2x4 before you follow the above steps makes it super easy. That way you're not lifting the bike very much.

Sounds about right. It's counterintuitive, because we're conditioned to have two hands on the bars at all times. It's also a leap of faith holding (in my case) a 570lb bike upright with one leg on terra firma. I don't recommend doing it routinely with a bike this size, because your luck will eventually run out and it'll either be your back or the right side of the bike that gets trashed. Maintenance, etc.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

I learned many things riding the old cop bike. One of them was how to lift a 600+ lb bike onto the center stand by myself.

I want this.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

ari.gato posted:

I want this.

SOLD! As of two days ago.

I don't really miss it. It was really heavy, constant electrical issues, and rattled like crazy. It was awesome, but I just got sick of constantly wrenching on it. Oh, and it was never the same after hitting the broad side of that Ford Truck.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Sounds about right. It's counterintuitive, because we're conditioned to have two hands on the bars at all times. It's also a leap of faith holding (in my case) a 570lb bike upright with one leg on terra firma. I don't recommend doing it routinely with a bike this size, because your luck will eventually run out and it'll either be your back or the right side of the bike that gets trashed. Maintenance, etc.

The 2x4 makes it much easier! I remember the time I was putting the cop bike on the center stand in a moto parking lot due to issues with the #1 carb. You sort of hit a point of no return when you are levering the bike up. If you don't muscle it onto the center stand, then it's going to come back down with a 50/50 chance of coming toward you or away from you. This day I was a pussy and didn't just muscle it up. It was hot, I was tired and I let it back down to try again and... OOPS... gently caress gently caress gently caress... it leaned away from me. I'm a 170 lbs and I'm trying everything to keep the bike from falling on its right side. For 30 seconds I struggled to keep it from falling while yelling for help that never came. My muscles started to give in and it began its slow descent to the ground...when suddenly it slowed and I was able to gain control of it again. Turns out my right mirror touched the left mirror of the Harley next to me. This is what kept the bike from flopping over. I did the manly thing of bending the other mirror back into position and then moved my bike somewhere the gently caress else. Since then, I always carried a small piece of wood in the saddle bag for center stand assistance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
drat that's a hot KZP, what year is it?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

drat that's a hot KZP, what year is it?

It's a 1989. It looks way better in picture than it ever did in person.

After hitting a truck!

The force of the impact actually bent all my spark plugs and cracked all the leads. It had some weird clicking noise from the left side of the engine after the accident.

The Yahoo KZ1000P group is awesome and I had guys giving me spare parts to get it back on the road.

One of the last rides before I sold it.

It was starting to develop some crazy wiring issues and I'm fairly certain the frame and forks were slightly bent. It was pretty hard to keep between the lines at 90 MPH before the accident and it was even worse after. All in all, a fine steed but I was starting to feel like I was risking my life every time I rode it. That's why I bought a sport bike! :eek:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today I finally recorded my exhaust note because I haven't seen any other SV w/ ART system videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVID7jBo6Dg

One of the best riding days all year. 75, partly cloudy with a slight breeze. Perfect.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Lubed the KLR's chain. Checked the air in the tires. Put the front at 32 and the rear at 34.

I'm almost ready for my 4th of July trip. The minimal route is 1400 miles, maximal sane route is around 1700 miles with a stop at the VLA.

Tomorrow I pack the bike.

Friday night I check everything over and make sure I'm ready to go.

Saturday bright and early its time for 700 miles southwayward. Sunday and Monday is family time, seeing my new nephew and 4 year old niece. Tuesday and Wednesday I need to wander my way home through whatever roads may take me there.

Trip is Boulder, Colorado to Odessa, Texas, then back. Right now I'm thinking on the way back 385 north, then 214 at Seminole through Denver City, then hang a left at 380 all the way to I-25. Spend the night in Socorro, hit the VLA bright and early, then take 60 to 41 through Moriarty to 285 at Santa Fe, then ride that all the way to Denver.

This should hit a ton of roads in NM I've never been on. Really the only section I'm familiar with is 380 from Plains to Roswell. The rest should be an altogether new experience for me, which is a big deal as I think I've seen the rest of NM at one point or another.

Can't wait! :D

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Went through and tested out the stator and the rectifier/regulator on the $500 LS650. The stator tested as really really bad, and the R/R tested as sorta bad... so the local shop wasn't lying when they told the last owner it needed a stator and a RR, they were just looking to make a small fortune by quoting him $1,000 to do the job.

I already have a new stator and R/R on the way, along with a generator cover gasket, a new spark plug, an oil filter (I have two gallons of oil sitting on the shelf) and an air filter to replace the disgusting one that's in there now. My parts cost total is $190 currently, still need to snag some replacement foot pegs and a battery box right side cover once some cheap ones come up on Ebay or Craigslist.

The rest of the bike is in pretty good shape aside from some scratches and a few small dings on the tank. The tires have a decent bit of life left in them, and the belt looks OK too. Insurance is only going to be 96 a year for liability, comprehensive, and UIM.

Most of the parts shipped today, so I'm hoping to have it done in the next couple of weeks.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 1, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Replaced the radiator on my Ninja 250. It apparently cracked and gushed in the middle, from some minature demon on the highway. I also cleaned up the wheels and lower plastics for the very first time since I got it almost a year ago.

Nothing like a Ninjette with new Pirelli MT tires, making everybody deaf like myself with the Cobras. I'm such an rear end on the bike while I'm real chill on the SV. Fun.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Ninja 500 maintenance time after a helpful post from Z3n.

Cleaned and lubed the chain. Found a good use for the second trip meter (chain lube timer!). Realized I need to sacrifice an old tshirt to be my chain cleaner, as using the only thing I had to hand, an old but still usable chamois leather, was less than ideal. Checked air pressure in both tires, brought up to spec. Idly wondered how rich I would be if I invented tires that didn't lose pressure yet were still properly flexible.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

UserNotFound posted:

Gave it my usual morning inspection before heading to work.

http://twitpic.com/1ztu3r

Then called my local Ducati dealer :(

Fixed this problem and gave the exhaust a once over to make sure it was tight. WOW what a difference from when I got the bike. All I hear now is intake, and some kind of crazy monster behind me roaring. No more sounding like a Harley and backfiring if I let of the throttle at >3,000 RPM or downshift. THIS is the Ducati sound I was looking for :D I really need to take a video now :D

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

sklnd posted:

Lubed the KLR's chain. Checked the air in the tires. Put the front at 32 and the rear at 34.

I'm almost ready for my 4th of July trip. The minimal route is 1400 miles, maximal sane route is around 1700 miles with a stop at the VLA.

Tomorrow I pack the bike.

Friday night I check everything over and make sure I'm ready to go.

Saturday bright and early its time for 700 miles southwayward. Sunday and Monday is family time, seeing my new nephew and 4 year old niece. Tuesday and Wednesday I need to wander my way home through whatever roads may take me there.

Trip is Boulder, Colorado to Odessa, Texas, then back. Right now I'm thinking on the way back 385 north, then 214 at Seminole through Denver City, then hang a left at 380 all the way to I-25. Spend the night in Socorro, hit the VLA bright and early, then take 60 to 41 through Moriarty to 285 at Santa Fe, then ride that all the way to Denver.

This should hit a ton of roads in NM I've never been on. Really the only section I'm familiar with is 380 from Plains to Roswell. The rest should be an altogether new experience for me, which is a big deal as I think I've seen the rest of NM at one point or another.

Can't wait! :D

have fun! Hope you have a comfortable seat like mine :) How many miles per day were you planning?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Armacham posted:

have fun! Hope you have a comfortable seat like mine :) How many miles per day were you planning?

Nah, still rockin the stocker seat. I narrowly missed a dished corbin seat a few weeks ago for $100 on cl. I plan to stand a lot.

700 miles the first day. First day on the way back should be just shy of 400, and 500 should get the remaining distance. That 700 mile day is only twice the longest I've gone in a day on the KLR. This is a great idea, yes?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

my butt hurts just thinking about that. I think I max out at about 300 miles

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gave the KTM some much needed attention, new rear tire to match the new front, new pads up front, bled the brakes, and cleaned the every loving crap out of the chain. Tomorrow it gets a good scrub, gets track prepped, taped, double checked and packed for another big weekend.

I can't wait.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I'm less worried about rear discomfort and more worried about getting my rear end kicked by a thunderstorm late in the day. The weather down in West Texas has been very wet for the area of late, and storms down there get flat out nasty.

[edit].
Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

:(

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

good luck with that. The first day is definitely the hardest after that the miles melt away.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Don't forget to make daily sacrifices to the goddess of tiny confections.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sklnd posted:

Nah, still rockin the stocker seat. I narrowly missed a dished corbin seat a few weeks ago for $100 on cl. I plan to stand a lot.

700 miles the first day. That 700 mile day is only twice the longest I've gone in a day on the KLR. This is a great idea, yes?
That was my plan coming back to CO on the stock seat. I was planning a 10 minute stop every hour. Didn't even come close to that. I managed 350 miles, not counting bullshit running around Amarillo looking for a speedometer cable and whatnot.

Best of luck, though!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dropped the XVS1300 off at the shop this morning for its 8,000 mile service. Bought it new in July 09 and have put all but like 3 of those miles on it.

I am having them omit the oil change cause I have some Mobil1 with 1,000 miles in it now, and the valve adjustment cause it just doesn't sound like it needs it, and it's 2 hours of labor out of a 4 hour service (I would go broke doing it by the book).

I'll probably put another 1,000 miles on by August, at which point I need to change the oil in preparation for the Sturgis trip and cross my fingers that the valves aren't too noisy.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Changed my rear tire. In need of a friend with a Pitbull front stand or exposed rafters in their garage for the front :(

I just need some sponsor logos on my tent, and a girl in a short skirt standing around and I'm set!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Working on bikes in a parking lot

Makes me think of college :D

Big Nose
Apr 4, 2004

The cultural revolution has found its end in Arkansas
I decided to exchange the clip-ons for supermoto bars on the sv1000. Old bar setup.

Stripped.

New bars and top clamp mocking up.

Here is where a nightmare of cable and wet line rerouting/replacement began.

New, longer,brake lines were needed and had to pull the air box etc. to reroute all the other stuff. Also had to fab up new brake MC line and brackets. Left off taking any more pics.
After I had it all back together I took a nice 50 mile shakedown. It may sound far fetched, but these new bars change this bike from one that was reluctant to corner and such a chore to ride that I avoided it into basically a 120hp Honda Ruckus that wants to cut pavement. A hell of a lot of fun.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Turns out the 'scratches' were just tar/asphalt, so a little goo gone and some elbow grease cleaned it right off, making the only real damage to the tail a little damage to the decal haha

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Found out my front wheel bearings are hosed!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Jigsaw puzzle!

Headless enrichment plunger:

Bike Bandit to the rescue! San Diego to Ohio in 2 days.

New plunger installed:

And done:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
new carb, new gas. Since I didn't control for one problem at a time, I don't know which was the bigger one. The throttle spring was worn out, though, and the non-replaceable jet was clogged...and the gas was yellow (I left the cap off a couple days ago). So both WERE problems...I don't feel like too big of an idiot for getting a new carb. (I'll probably restore the original one...but my idea for cleaning it will take time.)

And I did this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Increased the number on the odometer by about 725

things:
Squared off the rear tire pretty good. :|
Mostly successfully dodged a ton of rain in West Texas by staying in eastern NM until I ran out of NM to stay in.
A can of fix-a-flat exploded in my right pannier for unknown reasons. Investigation and cleanup will happen tomorrow.
Went through some pretty awesome standing water in a flooded town in NM. I'm totally ADV.

All in all a good day.

[edit] can exploded for now-known reasons. It settled next to the bolt holding the aluminum box to its frame. It then proceeded to rotate against that removing part of the can little by little until a good bump probably punctured it.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 4, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

needknees posted:

Found out my front wheel bearings are hosed!

What happened to yours? I watched the front wheel get taken off a ZX10 once for a tire change and the wheel bearings were shot on that too they found out as they fell out. I guess it's a good idea to check those now and again.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Locked up the motor in the KTM 520 :( Had put the dirt tires on and was experimenting with the power in the grass. Going slideways is great fun until you fall over and your motor won't turn at all.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Tested out my new tires (Perelli Speed Demons) by pulling a corner way too fast.
Tires work fine.
So do my boots, and my sphincter.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Got my Ducati 900 back from my friend. Was letting him borrow it while His FZ6 was down and it fell through the asphault (no big deal, planning on making it a track bike anyway) But I noticed this yesterday

So I tore the front down

Those should be connected ya know

I just need to hide the wires in the frame then mount up a bucket headlight and convert to handle bars.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I put on some bicycle saddlebags on my C70, and they work near perfectly. I also took off that ammo box because it blocked the headlight.

edit: Moving it to the right thread.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Got my Ducati 900 back from my friend. Was letting him borrow it while His FZ6 was down and it fell through the asphault (no big deal, planning on making it a track bike anyway) But I noticed this yesterday

So I tore the front down

Those should be connected ya know

I just need to hide the wires in the frame then mount up a bucket headlight and convert to handle bars.

But then it will be an oddly framed monster

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Screw that, it's just one step closer to being a dufuckincati now

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I think I finally fixed the rolling issue with the 77 CB750K. Chain alignment fix from a few weeks ago took care of most of the problem, but it still felt "funny." I noticed that I had the front brake caliper adjustment too tight. Last year I was obsessed about getting the drat bike to stop.

I adjusted it so that it doesn't drag and now it rolls like a dream! There's not been any noticeable effect on the ability to stop the bike. It was lousy before and it's lousy now. Thank goodness I'm getting good at engine braking!

I took it for a quick 25 mile maintenance trip. Got it up to 95 MPH on the highway. What a difference from the R6! It feels like riding a pickup truck. I'm not sure I'm getting the correct performance out of this thing, but then again it's a 33 year old bike. I adjusted the valves last year, carbs are clean, new battery. I've not touched the points. I guess I need to take a look at them. :smith:

I pulled into an empty parking lot to take some quick pix. Some guy came flying in and jumped out of car and asked if I was selling it. Wow, maybe it's nicer than I think?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I did absolutely nothing to my ride. But I am more than half way through my 3 month suspension (license suspension that is, not an Öhlins graduate course). At least the weather has been quite crap and when it hasn't been crap I've been hiking in the mountains and getting in better shape.

:emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Ola, we miss your sweet Nordic pics. :(

Marv Hushman posted:

- Adjusted the chain, which was roughly 1" out of spec. Half a hash mark brought it back.
- More undercarriage degunking--found a buried grease fitting for the swingarm. Maybe I should like...use it or something.
Sounds like my weekend! Cleaned & lubed the chain on Thursday, and noticed it looked a bit loose. Went out to see my folks for the Canada Day long weekend. Washed & waxed it Sunday, then did the proper thing and tightened up the chain, much better! Probably could have down an extra half turn of the screw. Found the pair of swingarm grease fittings as well, must do something about them very soon.

Blasted back home on the highway in 34C heat. It was a bit hot in the perf leather but I don't think I'd want to go 100+km/h in the mesh.

Still haven't heard back from the store about the new headlight bucket, must call them tomorrow and ask WTF is going on.