Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

The Good posted:

Anyone else think Nokia (NOK) is extremely enticing at its current price?

No. Although the yield is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

They don't make money and their current car isn't selling for crap and the next one isn't going to be out for over a year...

Because if a company doesn't make money right out of the gate, they're bound to fail, right? Not like people buy in because they think the company might have a bright future. What sense would that make?!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

antishock posted:

Because if a company doesn't make money right out of the gate, they're bound to fail, right? Not like people buy in because they think the company might have a bright future. What sense would that make?!

Then why do you need to get in on the IPO?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Tesla burned through all their investors money, drained out the founders bank account, which is why they are going public. This will happen again and without anyone dumber than the public to sell shares to, the big auto companies will pick at the bones.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You are forgetting about all the free alternative energy money Tesla got from the Stimulus free money giveaway. That is enough cash for them to burn through until they can unload enough shares to fund a golden parachute for even the janitors.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I really want Tesla to succeed, but I wouldn't bet my own money on it. Foma has it about right.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Unless you are an institutional investor who can put yourself at the very front of the line, the shares you buy are likely to be highly overpriced. Assuming your baseless prediction that Tesla WILL succeed at some point in the future, its going to take quite a while for the fundamentals to justify the price you bought it at. Thats gambling not investing.

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
Oh look, RIG down 1.4% Pre open. Any one has any thoughts on why ?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I have been thinking lately that everyone agrees that the biggest problem facing the global economy is excessive leverage across the board, and although there are sound Keynesian reasons for governments not to fix this right away, I don't think the same applies to companies. I think there might be opportunity in companies that are ahead of the curve and are actively paying down debt, like Qwest and Chiquita are (or were).

So, does anyone know of a stock screener that can compare a company's debt/equity ratio to what it was last year?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For a conservative dividend producer (IE, not crazy like 15%) how does FT look?

http://www.cefconnect.com/Details/Summary.aspx?ticker=FT

Has about a 7% discount to current NAV and does about 7% on dividend that is paid monthly. Hasnt had a cut in 7 years and has had a slow raise a few times since.

It appears to invest in utilities like Southern and has 4 stars ratings on Morningstar.

Cant seem to find anything bad about this. Seems like a good candidate for an IRA for a long term DRIP setup.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Then why do you need to get in on the IPO?

Because its probably going to be the lowest price. Buy low, sell high.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Remember when we couldnt get into Google at $80/share because non of us had hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest? :smith:

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
IPO= It's probably overpriced, unless we're talking about google.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

antishock posted:

Because its probably going to be the lowest price. Buy low, sell high.

What's the basis for your "probably?" It's shiny, I get that. But that doesn't mean they're going to make money. The fact that they're going public right now seemed weird until I learned, oh hey, a major investor needs cash.

If you're looking at cars and "buy low, sell high," F is sitting at a P/E of 6 and a .3 P/B. Please convince me that Tesla's initial offering is a better buy than Ford, because it's taking everything I've got to not get into F right now.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Remember when we couldnt get into Google at $80/share because non of us had hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest? :smith:

Google's IPO was a dutch auction, anyone could invest. I was really impressed with out it was handled.

Sadly it most likely cost them a couple billion, it was new, different, and smart. So people didn't understand it and were scared by it. Elite investors were put off because they got put on the same playing field as everyone else

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

For a conservative dividend producer (IE, not crazy like 15%) how does FT look?

http://www.cefconnect.com/Details/Summary.aspx?ticker=FT

Has about a 7% discount to current NAV and does about 7% on dividend that is paid monthly. Hasnt had a cut in 7 years and has had a slow raise a few times since.

It appears to invest in utilities like Southern and has 4 stars ratings on Morningstar.

Cant seem to find anything bad about this. Seems like a good candidate for an IRA for a long term DRIP setup.

Well since it has fees of about 4.5% a year I would say it is a terrible investment. CEFs are generally bad because of the fees. Discount to NAV doesn't help because the management would never liquidate (putting themselves out of a job). The only thing the discount does is increase your dividends relative to NAV.

So 7% x 1.07 =7.45% - 4.5%= 2.95% annually, thats a terrible return for a utilities fund, buy a Vanguard dividend etf,VIG or VYM

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigntasty posted:

Well since it has fees of about 4.5% a year I would say it is a terrible investment. CEFs are generally bad because of the fees. Discount to NAV doesn't help because the management would never liquidate (putting themselves out of a job). The only thing the discount does is increase your dividends relative to NAV.

So 7% x 1.07 =7.45% - 4.5%= 2.95% annually, thats a terrible return for a utilities fund, buy a Vanguard dividend etf,VIG or VYM

On the Morningstar forum someone mentioned it had a high expense as well and I found the following in a CEF article on the same site

quote:

The expense reporting issue I hear about the most has to do with interest expense. If a fund chooses to lever its portfolio utilizing debt instruments, it is required by law to include the interest paid in its expense ratio. This can inflate a fund's reported expense ratio to incredibly high proportions. Consider Franklin Universal (FT). This 4-star fund's largest single expense in fiscal 2009 was interest expense. In its annual report, the fund reveals an incredibly high expense ratio of 4.89%. However, 3.62% is related to its leverage, according to our calculations. Because the fund has been reaping a gain from this leverage, one could argue that the benefits outweigh the costs. Strip out the expenses related to the beneficial leverage, and the effective expense ratio is a more reasonable 1.27%.

Im still absorbing info so any help is appreciated.

So an expense ratio is basically straight off the top of whatever expected return you get? Where did you get the 1.07% number?

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 24, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

On the Morningstar forum someone mentioned it had a high expense as well and I found the following in a CEF article on the same site

Im still absorbing info so any help is appreciated.

So an expense ratio is basically straight off the top of whatever expected return you get? Where did you get the 1.07% number?

I think you might be better off buying T or DT

T is at 6.5% and DT is at 8.5%

edit: I'm thinking I will move my positions away from these Ultra-High Yield Mortgage based stocks to high yield stocks from more... traditional companies.

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 24, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah AT&T is on my radar, pretty good price and good yield.

But my question still stands for an expense cost on CEFs.

If I have $100 worth of whatever, and the expense is 3%, but yield is 6% does that simply make the effective yield 3% assuming after a year the price of the CEF hasnt changed? If it goes up you obviously would make money on the increased price of the CEF when you sold. But for long holds to collect the dividends how much does that expense actually interact with the investor?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah AT&T is on my radar, pretty good price and good yield.

But my question still stands for an expense cost on CEFs.

If I have $100 worth of whatever, and the expense is 3%, but yield is 6% does that simply make the effective yield 3% assuming after a year the price of the CEF hasnt changed? If it goes up you obviously would make money on the increased price of the CEF when you sold. But for long holds to collect the dividends how much does that expense actually interact with the investor?

The ER is subtracted from the yield of the underlying securities. However, the published yield of the CEF is likely already net of expenses. So 6% is what the CEF is yielding and the 3% ER is for information purposes (i.e. the fund actually got 9% yield due to leveraging and subtracted 3% which includes management fees and interest expenses).

The Morningstar quote you provided is correct. The standard procedure of requiring interest expense as part of the ER means you need to dig deeper to find out what the real expense ratio is. If the Morningstar poster's numbers are accurate, then 1.27% is the more accurate number to use when evaluating the ER of this CEF.

I do take exception to a technicality in the Morninstar quote: "Because the fund has been reaping a gain from this leverage, one could argue that the benefits outweigh the costs. Strip out the expenses related to the beneficial leverage..." It has nothing to do with benefits and has nothing to do with whether the leverage has improved returns or hindered it. Understanding that the interest expense is related to leverage is one matter, and is all that is important in understanding how the ER breaks down. Whether you want the increased risk of leverage and/or trust the manager's decisions is another matter.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks! That helps clarify it a lot for me!

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Really you should just look at the filings.

Shares 25mil
NAV 160 mil
Dividends 11.4 mil
expenses 4.2

So the CEF will pay you 7% but they are taking 2.5% of the NAV value from you every year.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Also, look closely at the CEF's policies. The yield needs to be evaluated based on the fund's use of leverage as well as any managed distribution policies it may have. For instance, FT may have a policy of maintaining a stable monthly dividend even when it exceeds the net investment income. They make up for it with a return of capital to prop of the yield. This is not at all uncommon with CEFs. If you don't know how to evaluate a CEF's policies and history closely, then avoid them altogether.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
From what I can tell, FT hasnt done any ROC according to CEFConnect.com

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MrBigglesworth posted:

From what I can tell, FT hasnt done any ROC according to CEFConnect.com

"Income, Long Gain, Short Gain and ROC breakdowns will only be shown for the past year."

Do your due diligence. That's all i'm saying.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Who do you guys use for online trading? Anything wrong with Zecco for someone interested in only making occasional trades?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Came across an interesting article about RIG today. It does a nice job of detailing why things seem not-that-bad in the short-term, but that medium-term prospects are uncertain for them in particular and off shore drillers in general.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
TSLA goes public tomorrow. Anyone putting money up?

taichijedi
Nov 8, 2006

antishock posted:

I'm pretty sure that TSLA will be going for $17 a share in the IPO, which is a little pricier than what was expected. I'm too uncertain about the long term prospects of the company to want in (barriers to entry, limited product line, high production costs,) as I think the IPO is overpriced.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

taichijedi posted:

I'm pretty sure that TSLA will be going for $17 a share in the IPO, which is a little pricier than what was expected. I'm too uncertain about the long term prospects of the company to want in (barriers to entry, limited product line, high production costs,) as I think the IPO is overpriced.

rolling near 18 woo

poopfart
May 5, 2010

antishock posted:

I bought 1100 shares @ 18.23 this morning.

I just made a lot of money btw.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Congrats to all of the TSLA bandwagoners! Have a feeling the next 30 minutes won't be so kind.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
IPOs make no sense at all to me. Why doesn't a company just "issue" a block of shares to itself, list the stock, and sell them on the open market? It seems like this closed system where IPOs are only available to some subset of investors isn't good for anybody except for those investors. But if that's the case why do companies that want to go public routinely play ball?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Congrats to all of the TSLA bandwagoners! Have a feeling the next 30 minutes won't be so kind.

Doh! Completely didn't expect it to leg up again.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I think TSLA is going to remind people of BX as far as IPOs go. $1 billion for the hope that they can produce a product. Why people continue to buy hope is beyond me when they can buy actual results elsewhere.

poopfart
May 5, 2010

Jack posted:

I think TSLA is going to remind people of BX as far as IPOs go. $1 billion for the hope that they can produce a product. Why people continue to buy hope is beyond me when they can buy actual results elsewhere.

Except Tesla Motors has been producing and selling their Roadster for two years. They also have a four door luxury sedan coming out soon. They don't take huge corporate bonuses. Tesla does not pay a dividend. The company is producing a product that nobody else is producing, and with the same numbers. You are way off on that one.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.

poopfart posted:

I bought 1100 shares @ 18.23 this morning.

I just made a lot of money btw.

I wish I had 20 grand to risk like that. Are you getting out ASAP now that it shot up 40%

poopfart
May 5, 2010

The Good posted:

I wish I had 20 grand to risk like that. Are you getting out ASAP now that it shot up 40%

I am holding half of my position still, I put a sell order right before market close and got the sale out. I will just wait until tomorrow morning to decide my next move, all dependent the stock's momentum and opening price.

poopfart
May 5, 2010

The Good posted:

20 grand

That investment "play" money was built up for just this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomson
Aug 6, 2004
OMG ROFL MY WAFFLE
I'm not sure how much longer the TSLA gravy train will last--I got in at 17.85, and again at 25, and now i'm not sure whether I want in at 30 (when I sell the 17.85 lot). Maybe people are forgetting that this company hasn't actually made money and their only hope (right now) is an $80k roadster.