Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ola posted:

A funny one was a C-130 banked at 45 degrees, seriously low level and the right seater was eating an apple.

wanna see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Hahaha that's amazing. If you search for "mach loop" on airliners.net you will be treated to a huge amount of action shots like these, a few of them shows the crew waving to the photographers (who are there almost all the time).

A funny one was a C-130 banked at 45 degrees, seriously low level and the right seater was eating an apple.

"Machynlleth Loop" gets the most results (and holy cow, these are fantastic)

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Lilbeefer posted:

wanna see this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Lockheed-Martin-C-130J/1340854/L/&sid=22a2cedec5cc54b620fab9a7cd1c7f80

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wow, I never realized until that photo (and others from the same valley) how dirty/scratched airplanes get. Quite a few with panels replaced and not repainted to match, too, like a car with a junkyard fender after a minor wreck.
Mudhen missing a lot of paint: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-F-15E-Strike/1678572/L/&sid=6c2f8c9c44c95c53d264dc0bec4139a8

Also F-15s are really disturbingly wrinkly in the right light.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15E/1606731/L/&sid=6c2f8c9c44c95c53d264dc0bec4139a8

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

that looks like it may be water vapor that forms on the leading edges of wings sometimes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Alpine Mustache posted:

that looks like it may be water vapor that forms on the leading edges of wings sometimes.
Maybe. But that line of lumps along the back edge of the wings forward of the ailerons probably isn't. Another with wrinkles: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15E/1607723/L/&sid=a238ba93a28b868fc97038f5bb06fc00

And this one, while not lumpy, is so :psyduck: I had to rehost it and post inline.

I know that one is about twice the size of the other, but seeing them together just breaks my brain. And the P-51 is actually smaller than it looks, what with the perspective and all.

P-51 max takeoff weight: 12,100 lb
F-15E external fuel/ordnance capacity: 24,250 lb
Progress!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The airshow here in '03 had a heritage flight like that, and it was hilarious to see the Mustang screaming the revs while the Eagle toggled flaps and idled his engines.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Delivery McGee posted:

I know that one is about twice the size of the other, but seeing them together just breaks my brain. And the P-51 is actually smaller than it looks, what with the perspective and all.

P-51 max takeoff weight: 12,100 lb
F-15E external fuel/ordnance capacity: 24,250 lb
Progress!
Speaking of modern-WWII comparisons:

B-17G length: 74'
F-15E length: 64'

B-17G max takeoff weight: 65,500 lb (29,700 kg)
F-15E max takeoff weight: 81,000 lb (36,700kg)

B-17G max bomb load: 8,000 lb
F-15E max bomb load: 24,250 lb

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Ok now that's incredible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

grover posted:

Speaking of modern-WWII comparisons:

B-17G length: 74'
F-15E length: 64'

This broke my brain. I used to make models of bombers when I was a kid and had four or five B-17 kits.

I mean, there were rooms in there!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Not technically aeronautical, but along similar lines:

Indiana class Battleship (1895-1919): 351 ft long
Arleigh-Burke class Destroyer (1991-present): 509 ft long

They're virtually the same tonnage, too.

Relevant (almost), because Arleigh-Burke class destroyers are powered by 4 General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines- the same engine used in the Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Airbus A300, Airbus A330 and others. I saw one after it'd been pulled from a Perry class frigate and it was amazing just how small it is. I mean, when you compare it to the massive triple expansion steam engine of the Indiana, or even more recent steam turbines, it's astounding how small the engine itself really is.

And only half this is the actual turbine, the rest is intake and exhaust ducting:

grover fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 27, 2010

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

grover posted:

Relevant (almost), because Arleigh-Burke class destroyers are powered by 4 General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines- the same engine used in the Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Airbus A300, Airbus A330 and others. I saw one after it'd been pulled from a Perry class frigate and it was amazing just how small it is. I mean, when you compare it to the massive triple expansion steam engine of the Indiana, or even more recent steam turbines, it's astounding how small the engine itself really is.

And only half this is the actual turbine, the rest is intake and exhaust ducting:

I was a gas turbine mechanic, and I served on a 'Burke.

Where the dude has his hand is about where the outlet of the Hp turbine is. Just behind that is the turbine rear frame and then you have the 6 stage LP turbine, which is coupled to the shaft via a high speed flexible coupling and a really wild clutch setup that's stuffed inside the main reduction gear. The first set of compressor blades are almost visible. Actually, it would be the first set of inlet guide vanes....but you get the point.

The MRG on any naval vessel is is frigging huge. They pretty much have to be to handle the 1.6 MILLION ft/lbs of torque that the shaft is limited to. Without seeing one, or the inside of one it's hard to understand how precise and HUGE the gears are inside. Seriously, during annual inspections three of us would crawl inside that fucker.

The whoosh of two of those bad boys spooling up, going from idle to flank speed made my dick move a little bit.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

Sweet tittyfucking Jesus, our :fsmug: destroyers are JET loving PROPELLED? Somehow I just assumed all modern ships were powered by giant diesels, this changes everything. What I wouldn't give for a schematic of that drive train... :fap:

It's bullshit, I know, but I'm trying to bridge the gap here.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

It's bullshit, I know, but I'm trying to bridge the gap here.

Where's this from? Or is it just some random piece of art?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy hell, I remembered it wrong. That's way beyond 45 degrees, but perhaps the photographer was at a higher altitude (!) as well, adding to the vertical bank effect.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
There's some decent vids bottom right of this page showing all the photographers and the planes coming through:

http://www.mjaviation.co.uk/Lowfly.htm

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Great link, lots of aircraft geek-fuel there!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Sterndotstern posted:

Sweet tittyfucking Jesus, our :fsmug: destroyers are JET loving PROPELLED? Somehow I just assumed all modern ships were powered by giant diesels, this changes everything. What I wouldn't give for a schematic of that drive train... :fap:

Well, many are nuclear powered. Which is why a giant aircraft carrier can outrun its support fleet and still go years between fuel stops.

Also submarines, since burning jet fuel is neither quiet nor safe in an enclosed space.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Where's this from? Or is it just some random piece of art?

Yeah, some Fernando Feria guy I guess, but I liked the subject matter and aesthetic quite a bit. Tracked this down as the original: http://airaf.cgsociety.org/gallery/333906/

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eh, quote != edit.

ApathyGifted posted:

Well, many are nuclear powered. Which is why a giant aircraft carrier can outrun its support fleet and still go years between fuel stops.

Also submarines, since burning jet fuel is neither quiet nor safe in an enclosed space.

Well of course they're also nuclear powered, but I guess I just found the gas turbine jet/ship crossover too interesting to resist posting about.

On a completely different topic, a while ago I posted that air-burning, air-flying technology reached its logical conclusion in approximately 1965 and stated (somewhat controversially) that we're "done" with aircraft. I never got to ask the obvious follow-up question: Where is the next great unsolved problem for aerospace engineering?

My only guess is a low-maintenance, high-reliability (human rated) spaceplane/shuttle application. With the looming retirement of the Space Shuttle and the advent of multiple private-sector commercial launching companies, how long will it be before I can book a couple hundred pounds of human payload onto a shuttle? Is the multi-stage solution (i.e. White Knight) desirable and viable in the long term? Is there an even more extreme (but viable) first stage looming? Dirigible spaceports, anyone?

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
IMHO, it's going to take massive technological breakthrough to make space travel affordable to the average person. You just need too much energy to get the mass into orbit, and that energy has to come from fuel, which costs money.

About the best you can do is what Rutan and others are trying: use relatively cheap air breathing engines to get you as far as you can, then light off the rockets to finish off the last 90% of the journey (it does get the rockets out of the area where they are least efficient at least).

What we really need is cheap and efficient antigravity. That's the key to getting into orbit at low cost. As long as you're burning chemical rockets, it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get there, and there is no way in hell any government in the world is going to approve of a nuclear rocket design. RTGs are hard enough to get into orbit.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jandrese posted:

As long as you're burning chemical rockets, it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get there

You can get quite a lot of energy density by electrolyzing water. Rocket-fuel kind of energy density. The space shuttle uses liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen rocket motors that weigh ~7,000lbs for a 400,000lbs thrust output.

Rocket fuel is green as gently caress when it's water.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yep, if we could mine pure H2 and pure O2 to stick in the rockets, we could put everybody into orbit. Unfortunately, nobody has made a Hydrogen mine yet, so you have to create it yourself, either from water or from hydrocarbon based sources like natural gas. O2 you pretty much have to get from the air.

The Hydrocarbon based approach isn't green; and thanks to the pesky laws of thermodynamics you need to put even more energy into creating the H2 and O2 than you get out of it if you're cracking water. All of that energy costs money, lots of money for the quantities involved.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sterndotstern posted:

I never got to ask the obvious follow-up question: Where is the next great unsolved problem for aerospace engineering?
Scramjets, for one. All turbojet and ramjet engines have subsonic internal air speeds; even at supersonic speeds, the inlet design slows the air. Eventually, we reach a point where it's just not possible to slow the air enough, which is where scramjets come in. Scramjets work with supersonic air, but are notoriously difficult. If we can master scramjets, we can increase aircraft to beyond hypersonic speeds without having to carry oxidizer. This is a key enabling technology for single-stage to orbit spacecraft.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 29, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I wouldn't say scramjets are "unsolved" just.. "seriously early in development" Heck the wright brothers engine used flame tubes for ignition!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
We just tested a working SCRamjet up to Mach 5 a few months ago. It wasn't even the fastest ever, just the longest flight so far (200 seconds). In 2007, DARPA and some Australians (DSTO) flew one to Mach 10.

There was even a DARPA project (Blackswift) that was working on a hybrid turbine/SC/Ramjet design that would have been able to go from 0 to Mach bitchin' fast. But that got canceled because assholes don't know the value of building kickass poo poo.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ApathyGifted posted:

There was even a DARPA project (Blackswift) that was working on a hybrid turbine/SC/Ramjet design that would have been able to go from 0 to Mach bitchin' fast. But that got canceled because assholes don't know the value of building kickass poo poo.

But what's the operational advantage of burning air?

\/\/ to rephrase, "why bother to burn air when it's really hard to do so and you want to go sub-orbital or orbital anyway?"

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 29, 2010

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Sterndotstern posted:

Not needing to carry oxidizer. It's the efficiency difference between a rocket and a jet.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

ApathyGifted posted:

But that got canceled because assholes don't know the value of building kickass poo poo.

This could be applied to so, so many things.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Stuff...

Edit: Added a few shots.

LOO fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 29, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jandrese posted:

What we really need is cheap and efficient antigravity.

Tell you what, if you can cook up even expensive and inefficient antigravity, the Swedish king has a medal for you.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

LOO posted:

Stuff...

Black Tomcat

Best plane ever.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Sterndotstern posted:

\/\/ to rephrase, "why bother to burn air when it's really hard to do so and you want to go sub-orbital or orbital anyway?"

It's not hard to burn air, just hard to burn it while it's going supersonic. Rockets have the advantage of their "intake" velocity being zero, so any accelerating of exhaust gases is all thrust. But that's basically the only advantage rockets have over SCRamjets inside the atmosphere.

Rockets have some huge disadvantages that SCRamjets don't, though:
- A rocket's thrust has to provide both propulsion AND lift, until it's got enough velocity that the curvature of the earth and the sheer speed provide "lift."
- A rocket needs double the "fuel", minimum, because it has to carry an oxidizer in a separate tank to burn the fuel.

A SCRamjet aircraft can provide it's own lift, so that all thrust just goes to achieving orbital velocity. It doesn't need an oxidizer for at least the first 200,000 feet of altitude, during which it can theoretically achieve orbital velocity. Basically, a SCRamjet can get you into orbit cheaper than a rocket, most likely with a larger payload, and would be able to take off from a runway instead of needing specialized launch facilities.

On top of all that, you can use it to get passengers from New York to Hong Kong something like 2 hours.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ApathyGifted posted:

It doesn't need an oxidizer for at least the first 200,000 feet of altitude, during which it can theoretically achieve orbital velocity.

Ah, so that's the reason for them: attaining orbital speeds while still in the atmosphere. LEO requires ~16,000 mi/hr or so, mach 25 and up. Does SCRamjet combustion get more efficient/stable/easier with increased mach numbers?

So realistically the only application is a Single Stage to Orbit (SSTO) lifter. But once you leave the atmosphere, that air-burning engine and fuel just become parasitic mass, reducing payload. Seems to me there's just no getting away from a multi-stage approach to orbit, or at the very least, detachable external boosters (air burning or not).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Most solutions would seem to require a built-in rocket, yes. However, it would be along the lines of STS's OMS rockets, rather than the main engines and their attendant giant fuckoff fuel tank. Fairly small since they only need to be used for a short time, and within a single operating regime (vacuum). Basically, the SCRamjet would get you enough speed to reach apogee, then the rocket would be used for the final speed boost to raise perigee above the atmosphere. If something as big and obsolete as the shuttle can carry fuel for those maneuvers, a smaller, lighter spacecraft should have no trouble with it.

That said, we could see a rocket-powered orbiter powered aloft by scramjet boosters that then seperate and fly glide back under computer control.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sterndotstern posted:

So realistically the only application is a Single Stage to Orbit (SSTO) lifter. But once you leave the atmosphere, that air-burning engine and fuel just become parasitic mass, reducing payload.

It is extra weight, but scramjets (please stop capitalising the scr-, nobody in the industry does) are mechanically very simple and won't add much extra weight beyond what a rocket-powered SSTO vehicle would need for its propulsion.

The advantage of not needing to carry oxidiser for the main propulsive event is a big one; it outweighs any concerns regarding the weight of the engines. Remember that for every pound you need to lift, you need burn even more fuel to lift it and the additional structural weight needed to carry that extra pound. This applies to fuel too; for every extra pound of fuel you carry, you need to carry an additonal amount just to lift the added fuel - it becomes clear that weight becomes a problem that feeds back on itself quite dramatically in and aerospace application. With a scramjet-powered orbiter, you would almost eliminate the need to carry oxidiser, which is a huge savings in terms of weight, volume and complexity. Getting back to what you asked earlier:

Sterndotstern posted:

My only guess is a low-maintenance, high-reliability (human rated) spaceplane/shuttle application.

The scramjet is pretty much the most likely ticket to affordable, reliable transportation to orbit, especially if researchers can iron out the kinks with regard to burning conventional hydrocarbon fuels.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 29, 2010

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

MrChips posted:

It is extra weight, but scramjets (please stop capitalising the scr-, nobody in the industry does)

I am in the industry, and I'm the one capitalizing it. :colbert:

But that's because it's an abbreviation and I'm a dick.

Sterndotstern posted:

So realistically the only application is a Single Stage to Orbit (SSTO) lifter. But once you leave the atmosphere, that air-burning engine and fuel just become parasitic mass, reducing payload. Seems to me there's just no getting away from a multi-stage approach to orbit, or at the very least, detachable external boosters (air burning or not).

There's SST applications too. Staying in the atmosphere or reaching near-orbital velocities and skipping off the top for a while would drastically reduce flight times. And since the engines are simpler, it's entirely possible to make them profitable at an affordable price, unlike the Concorde. That's what the National Space Plane was supposed to become, but once again: people don't know the value of building kickass stuff. New York to Hong Kong faster than New York to Los Angeles today is pretty drat amazing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ApathyGifted posted:

I know it's an abbreviation. And if you can show me an abstract or a paper that refers to this engine as a "SCRamjet" instead of "scramjet", then I'll believe you.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

MrChips posted:

I know it's an abbreviation. And if you can show me an abstract or a paper that refers to this engine as a "SCRamjet" instead of "scramjet", then I'll believe you.

MrChips posted:

(please stop capitalising the scr-, nobody in the industry does)

ApathyGifted posted:

I never claimed anyone else did it.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

ApathyGifted posted:

- A rocket's thrust has to provide both propulsion AND lift, until it's got enough velocity that the curvature of the earth and the sheer speed provide "lift."

Not really completely true about "rockets" as a engine though, The current rocket designs tend to have that issue (ie a tube with the engine at the bottom), but you can design a "rocket" with wings that takes off horozontally and uses the wings for lift, it will just take longer to escape than taking off vertically. The ME163 had wings for lift and a rocket for thrust, and worked pretty well for its design envelope (ie not trying to get to escape velocity etc).

Also the RATO and JATO units are rockets and generate no lift on their own, they just add lots of thrust to get the plane off the deck fast.