Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

compressioncut posted:

I can describe how you are scored by the interviewing officer and what to focus on.

My interview isn't far off. I would love to know what to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

E.Nigma posted:

Read the forces.ca website about what your trade is. Dont memorize line for line, but know what they do.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Also, what should I wear? Should I treat this like any other interview and wear a suit?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

E.Nigma posted:

Also, what should I wear? Should I treat this like any other interview and wear a suit?

Don't dress like a hip-hop artist, and you'll do fine. Slacks, polo, nice shoes. Don't wear shorts and sandals. You'll be talking to an officer most likely, so remember to be polite, and use big words.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Don't say "Huh... Aren't you a little old to be a captain?".

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Don't say "Huh... Aren't you a little old to be a captain?".

But make sure you call him dude. They dont like to be referred to as Sir.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

E.Nigma posted:

Are you commissioning? Is it an in-service program? That's all I'm really familiar with, and I can't guarantee it applies to other selection interviews. That said, scoring breakdown is probably similar:

-1/3 is your score on the CFAT

-1/3 is your general conduct in the interview

-1/3 is "person/job fit" where they assess your current skill set against the one required for the job you want

For a total out of 90 points (30-30-30).

If you are just entering as an NCM just dress reasonably well and be polite. My original NCM entrance interview was far less rigorous than the in-service commissioning ones.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
fffffffffff.

Just got a call from a MCpl at my unit's OR. "Oh hey Pte Canuck-Errant, we finally have details on your Basic! Now there's some good news and bad news. Bad news is, you didn't get your course loading, but the good news is there's some spots still available. So you're going to be on standby for Basic, but we still want you here at 8 AM monday ready to go."

:suicide:

edit: To make it worse, it's standby for Reserve BMQ... in Wainwright.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 30, 2010

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Looks like I'll be entering as an LCIS Tech. I figure, do that for my first contract then try and go to the RMC to earn a degree.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Canuck-Errant posted:

fffffffffff.

Just got a call from a MCpl at my unit's OR. "Oh hey Pte Canuck-Errant, we finally have details on your Basic! Now there's some good news and bad news. Bad news is, you didn't get your course loading, but the good news is there's some spots still available. So you're going to be on standby for Basic, but we still want you here at 8 AM monday ready to go."

Welcome to the forces.

I had a guy on my basic - 49 years old, former LCdr engineer from Pakistan was told all along the recruiting process that he wouldn't need to do BMOQ, no point in running him around, etc, etc. The message promoting him to Lt(N) and posting him to DGMEPM got lost so a week before BMOQ started they called him and told him he was going. So he did.

Edit: Also there were guys that found out on Friday that they were going to St. Jean Monday.

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 30, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I know everyone is sick of hearing about G20

But does anyone else think that bringing in the Forces instead of every crappy cop around might have made things go easier?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Well it would've been 3RCR. We've been back from Afghanistan for a year, have been incredibly busy for the whole time, had to deal with being away from home for 3+ months so far since January (in part thanks to the G8/G20), and generally don't give a poo poo for a bunch of flag-burners, so no. It definitely would not have been a good idea.

ps Happy Canada Day!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

MA-Horus posted:

But does anyone else think that bringing in the Forces instead of every crappy cop around might have made things go easier?

No. Having the military do law enforcement in that situation is a nightmare scenario for most commanders, and I agree with them. It's not our job to deploy against the Canadian people, even if they are kids with bricks.

However crappy you think the cops did it's better that they did it than us.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
The quintessential example of the problems with the armed forces doing law enforcement work has to be the Northern Ireland Troubles. Wound up 17 year old paras being tasked to politely deal with a civilian population, when most of their training is designed to impart stupid amounts of aggression towards their enemies (at the time this would have been the soviets).

This did not turn out well. To be honest, it was also a problem with the government, who couldn't decide whether it was a police action (arrests etc) or a insurgency (using the military).If they'd just decided on one, and kept a single set of rules, it would have been over quicker.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

E.Nigma posted:

During my interview, aside from the normal questions the Captain also asked me about Civilization 4 strategy and if I liked to play Descent Freespace. I presume life on a ship can sometimes require additional stimulation.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canadian Navy: Must like video games.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Some guys from my regiment did go, but they were doing checkpoints at the G8. A few guys were also in Toronto for the G20, but I'm not sure about what capacity they were employed in.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Mr.48 posted:

Some guys from my regiment did go, but they were doing checkpoints at the G8. A few guys were also in Toronto for the G20, but I'm not sure about what capacity they were employed in.

I had friends on it. Supposedly they just sat out in the woods and protected bridges and poo poo.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mr.48 posted:

The G8: almost three times better than the G20

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Fraser CDN posted:

I had friends on it. Supposedly they just sat out in the woods and protected bridges and poo poo.

Was it a full on domestic op ala Op PODIUM for the olympics with workup training and poo poo or pretty much just a week or whatever of deployment?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How hard is it to get in to Materials Technician or Aircraft Structures Technician? Is there a long waiting list?

I have a vocational diploma from Quebec in welding/fabricating that is apparently worth gently caress all in the rest of Canada (I moved to Vancouver recently). To get my welding C ticket, I first need to get some forms filled out from my previous employer in Quebec, have them mailed back to me, get them processed (4-6 weeks), and then passes written and practical tests (I was a tig welder, welding C doesn't cover tig welding :suicide:). This loving country.

I was suggested Marine Engineering Mechanic, but I dont particularly want to live on a ship or travel the world. I just want to further my chosen career.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Signed my contract today, and had my enrollment ceremony. There were like 10 people with me going over all the paperwork you have to bring to BMQ wit some corporal. One dude decided he didn't want to sign a 4 year contract and walked out.

Also, i think I should have joined the navy. The navy girls look really good in their uniforms. Cadpat just doesn't compare.

I leave for St.Jean in 4 days :D

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hopefully Cabaret Erotica is still around. Wear a condom.

Good luck!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Signed my contract today, and had my enrollment ceremony. There were like 10 people with me going over all the paperwork you have to bring to BMQ wit some corporal. One dude decided he didn't want to sign a 4 year contract and walked out.

Also, i think I should have joined the navy. The navy girls look really good in their uniforms. Cadpat just doesn't compare.

I leave for St.Jean in 4 days :D

Yea Navy chicks look hot. Also don't worry, everyone is nervous and WTF am I doing for the first few days. Just remember what you want in the end and you will be fine. Make sure you know your SA account info so when you get time off you can go to the Bistro ( bar on base) and update us. Dam, I cant believe I left for basic 2 years ago this week.

edit: I think your from the Ottawa area right? If Im correct my buddy got that Navy recruiter chicks number :D

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Be glad you have CADPAT, and not 84-patterns. Nothing looked worse on anybody than those stupid pajamas.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

MA-Horus posted:

Canadian Navy: Must like video games.

Oh hey! Its what I do for a living, exactly in video game form!

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Yea Navy chicks look hot. Also don't worry, everyone is nervous and WTF am I doing for the first few days. Just remember what you want in the end and you will be fine. Make sure you know your SA account info so when you get time off you can go to the Bistro ( bar on base) and update us. Dam, I cant believe I left for basic 2 years ago this week.

edit: I think your from the Ottawa area right? If Im correct my buddy got that Navy recruiter chicks number :D

If we're thinking of the same navy recruiter chick that dude deserves high fives from now until the end of time. If she had been there when I first went to the CFRC I would have had a hard time saying I didn't want to join the Navy.

I'm nervous to actually start basic but more excited than anything. Just spent the last few days fishing and today and tomorrow I'm gonna have to hustle to get my stuff together.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
- Don't call everyone "sir", only officers and MWO/CWOs.
- Don't gently caress your course-mates (I condone intercourse, I don't condone blading).
- Play the grey man unless you are really awesome, in which case do something stupid once so you get the staff's attention. If you do this, don't be an rear end in a top hat or douchebag.
- There is no way to cheat when shining shoes except for burn shining, and that only works well on already-polished boots.
- When you try skoal, don't swallow your spit.
- Help out people who are struggling if you're not.

- Above all else, work your hardest, be respectful, and be modest. BMQ is easy as hell and a lot shorter than it feels.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
If you hosed up just say " I hosed up". Don't apologize or say you wont do it again. Just say I hosed up, most staff will let you off easier then if you make an excuse. When polishing your parades give about 20-30 coats with just brush shine. Buy a small tin of straight black ( NEVER USE PARADE GLOSS) and use that because your big tin you use on your combats will have rocks and dirt and that will cause scratches. When you get a blister ( and you will) just pop it, put some Polysporin on it and a band aid.

Above all just remember your going to make mistakes and its a game ( Its staff's job to be an rear end in a top hat) the 3 months will be over before you notice.

edit: When packing pack light and leave room for the random poo poo your going to buy.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Ruse posted:

Oh hey! Its what I do for a living, exactly in video game form!

Looks like your threat database could use an update ;)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Samu posted:

If we're thinking of the same navy recruiter chick that dude deserves high fives from now until the end of time. If she had been there when I first went to the CFRC I would have had a hard time saying I didn't want to join the Navy.

I'm nervous to actually start basic but more excited than anything. Just spent the last few days fishing and today and tomorrow I'm gonna have to hustle to get my stuff together.

Some quick tips:

-Shave and brush your teeth before you go to sleep, it will save you a lot of hassle in the morning when you're in a rush to shower after PT and prepare for inspection.

-You only need to undo the top 2 buttons of your tunic to pull it on and off like a shirt, dont be the retard who spends the time to unbutton and button the whole thing back up.

This is more for SQ as opposed to BMQ, but is of critical importance:

-Get gortex socks, they are loving amazing.

-ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your sleeping bag in your waterproof bivy bag. Trust me on this, a wet sleeping bag is the worst thing on the planet.

e: Oh, and another thing: Do your safety precautions and function tests diligently, the instructors sometimes like to sneak dummy rounds into your rifles, and you will usually get really beat up weapons, that may not be working properly (I had one with a busted safety)

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 8, 2010

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Mr.48 posted:

I think that because I've seen it happen. My buddy did it because officer salary climbs faster in the long run, but for the first year and a half he was making less than before until he got his 1Lt courses completed.

Bringing this over from the other thread because I think its more appropriate here.

I don't know the specifics with your buddy, but he either got out completely and then came back in as an officer (in which case you probably would start at basic 2LT-DEO pay), or got majorly hosed over. That is NOT the way its supposed to work. All of the UTPNCM's I went to RMC with were getting payed at their old pay rates (MCpl, MS, Cpl etc), despite being Officer Cadets. It just makes sense, as you cannot support a family on Officer Cadet pay. The same applies if you are going directly to 2LT.

I'm not sure how the reserves handles all this as they tend to do things a little weird, but it should be the same as the reg force.

e: The internet does provide! CBI 204.04(3):

quote:

204.04(3) (Rate of pay on promotion) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), an officer or non-commissioned member shall be paid, on promotion to a higher rank, at the rate of pay established in the applicable CBI which is the greater of:

1. the basic rate of pay for the member’s new rank and, if applicable, pay level and trade group; or
2. the rate of pay for the pay increment and, if applicable, pay level and trade group, for the member’s new rank that is nearest to, but at least equal to, the sum of the rate of pay the member was receiving on the day immediately prior to the date of the promotion, plus an amount equal to the difference between the rate of pay established for pay increment 1 and pay increment Basic in the member’s new rank, but not to exceed the rate of pay for the highest pay increment in the new rank.

source: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/204-eng.asp

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 8, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Bringing this over from the other thread because I think its more appropriate here.

I don't know the specifics with your buddy, but he either got out completely and then came back in as an officer (in which case you probably would start at basic 2LT-DEO pay), or got majorly hosed over. That is NOT the way its supposed to work. All of the UTPNCM's I went to RMC with were getting payed at their old pay rates (MCpl, MS, Cpl etc), despite being Officer Cadets. It just makes sense, as you cannot support a family on Officer Cadet pay. The same applies if you are going directly to 2LT.

I'm not sure how the reserves handles all this as they tend to do things a little weird, but it should be the same as the reg force.

Could be a reserves thing, could be an army thing, could be she just got hosed over.

I do have another buddy who commissioned from MCpl and got to keep his salary while an OCdt, but he's going through the pharmacy officer program, so I'm not sure the same rules apply, since he was practically getting free blowjob offers from personnel selection to make sure he commits.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

-Get gortex socks, they are loving amazing.

-ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your sleeping bag in your waterproof bivy bag. Trust me on this, a wet sleeping bag is the worst thing on the planet.

e: Oh, and another thing: Do your safety precautions and function tests diligently, the instructors sometimes like to sneak dummy rounds into your rifles, and you will usually get really beat up weapons, that may not be working properly (I had one with a busted safety)

Oh right, I forgot he was going combat engineer right?

Goretex socks are usually hit or miss for people. Personally I thought they would be awesome as well but in practice, my feet sweat far too much and subsequently get just as wet anyway. In my experience, the only way to avoid wet feet/boots is to avoid walking through swamps. Hahahaha

For your sleeping kit, yeah, throw your bag in your bivy bag, but throw all that poo poo in a garbage bag and shove it in your valise (or compression sack if you guys get the new rucks during SQ now). Your sleeping bag is your livelihood in the field, keep that poo poo dry and you will not regret it.

Really, you could read all the tips and advice in the world and you'll still only be 10% of the way there. The only way to learn is long, long hours either in the bush, playing with your rifle, or shining your boots.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Fraser CDN posted:

( NEVER USE PARADE GLOSS )
Use regular polish for about 20-30 coats as mentioned. Then burnshine with regular polish, however once you have a couple coats of regular polish on, burnshine with parade gloss(it only dulls if you dont do it every night, but really you're in basic you dont have much else to do) and finish with a plain old spitshined coat of clear gloss and it will look awesome. They tell you not to burn shine or you'll get in trouble if you do. Empty threat, never happens

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 9, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack is to just do my best. I'm almost definitely not going to be the best in my platoon or whatever, but I'm not going to not give my all because I'm afraid of standing out. I'm not going to ask stupid questions or stick out by being an rear end in a top hat. I want to carry my own load and lend a hand to whoever needs it when I can. I have good common sense and I'd like to think I'm good with people.

And I am going to gently caress some of the girls I'm going to basic with. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point, but I'd never do it if it jeopardized my career because gently caress that, this is what I want to do with my life.

Really thanks for the advice guys. I'll update you all as soon as I get access to the internet.

Now my buddies are taking me out drinking one last time before I go. Peace out goons.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

I'm not going to not give my all because I'm afraid of standing out
Don't be afraid to stand out in a positive light, no matter what anyone says. You volunteer you get poo poo on more, do a good job and its a good thing. Could net you top candidate which is a good things because the same principals apply to any course

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Don't be afraid to stand out in a positive light, no matter what anyone says. You volunteer you get poo poo on more, do a good job and its a good thing. Could net you top candidate which is a good things because the same principals apply to any course

Or that means that all the people learn your name so when some staff for a different section gets told to pick 2 guys to go clean poo poo, guess what? The guy who's name people know gets picked.

Be the gray man, and you will always take the least poo poo.

Note: Being the gray man doesnt mean not being buddies with people, just staying off the staff's radar, and volunteering always gets you on the radar.

If you wanna stand out positively, do it by outperforming people on tasks that are given to you, don't just volunteer for random poo poo.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Top candidate on basic is the most worthless award in the army. No one cares. Or will ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Or that means that all the people learn your name so when some staff for a different section gets told to pick 2 guys to go clean poo poo, guess what? The guy who's name people know gets picked.

Be the gray man, and you will always take the least poo poo.

Note: Being the gray man doesnt mean not being buddies with people, just staying off the staff's radar, and volunteering always gets you on the radar.

If you wanna stand out positively, do it by outperforming people on tasks that are given to you, don't just volunteer for random poo poo.

Goddammit, you're supposed to go along with it. I want him to see how miserable the military will make you so he vr's and doesnt make the same mistake I made and stayed in for this long