Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Muslims is a race lololol. Australians, God love 'em. Each and every one!

The jealousy part, though, that's cultural and I think it stems from the insane amount of philandering among Thailand's male population. I don't have one Thai guy friend who at some point hasn't been juggling one main girlfriend and several gigs (friends with benefits, sort of). It doesn't matter if you're going out with a chick who's studied all over the world or sister-me from Nong Khai, she's very likely going to be insanely jealous beyond anything a normal girl back in the West would be just by default. Also, there are tons of work study (quote unquote) programs that Thai kids from all levels of society pay to go on to get work experience in the West where they end up working at places like Starbucks, so given the potential language barrier her story is completely plausible, heh.

Anyway, separate topic I guess, but that's a hilarious thread. He should DEFINITELY marry her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
God damnit Cathay Pacific....:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ugh.

quote:

Allen, who retired to the seaside resort town of Pattaya on Thailand’s Eastern Seaboard in 1997, was caught in March of 2007 with a catalogue of some 200-300 DVD’s depicting himself sexually interfering with children as young as 11-years-old. Arrested in his Pattaya City condominium, along with Praill, Ellison and Ylikolola, Allen was eventually sentenced to 16-years in prison by a Thai court. Consequently Praill was found to have been convicted on child sex offenses in Thailand prior to this matter, returning to his ways upon being handed a 14-year suspended sentence.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ugh.

Wow I thought all the hardcore pedos had all moved to Cambodia by now. Looks like I didn't figure Pattaya into the equation!

Here's an alternate link b/c that Pattaya Daily News site doesn't work for me: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/US-Court-Indicts-Paedophile-Imprisoned-t377767.html

(Edit: Also did you really get banned for spoiling a GRRM book?)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
A public service announcement from the thread:

That is all at this time.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Great idea, ReindeerF!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It has possibilities! Does your future brother in law (on the left, there) know that you're putting his picture online? Brother-me can get pretty jealous I hear, especially when you take away his main source of regular sex (i.e. sister-me).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

(Edit: Also did you really get banned for spoiling a GRRM book?)

Yeah, in big glittery text on the first page of the "good thread".

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Going to Kuching for Interhash (you coming ReindeerF?), can anyone recommend a decent hotel in/near downtown KL for a one-night stopover?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Abugadu posted:

Going to Kuching for Interhash (you coming ReindeerF?), can anyone recommend a decent hotel in/near downtown KL for a one-night stopover?
Interhash! gently caress, I haven't had time to hash in about 3 months except for a pickup hash. Have fun and bring your own food, because the Malaysians are notorious shortcutters and gluttons who will circle around the On Out a few times and then sit around stacking every bit of food in the area on their plates and finishing it while the rest of you are running, heh. Not at all a joke.

On hotels, I've stayed only in Bukit Bintang downtown, in the Mandarin Oriental KL and in Travellers Palm (they misspelled it, not me, heh). I'd recommend the Travellers Palm over the Mandarin for my tastes. Nice owners, clean, lots of character. It's a guest house for sure, but it's not dirty or scary (does have a shared bathroom though, heh). There's one good boutique hotel that I know of in KL, but it's not downtown, it's the old colonial governor's mansion up on the hill. Maybe another KL goon can give you better recommendations!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
This is my pick of the well priced places to stay in KL:

http://www.classicinn.com.my/

It's well located, very clean, and friendly.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That does look comfy, actually.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Veeeeeery comfortable beds!

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Maybe another KL goon can give you better recommendations!

Highly recommend Traders in KL City Center (5 minutes walk from the Petronas Towers, 10 from Bukit Bintang etc), have stayed there a few times now. Great rooms, great service.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/kualalumpur/traders

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Oh, RingoR found this through ThaiVisa and wanted me to post it so he didn't take the heat for reading TV (a terrible site, they were probably posted there unironically):

http://www.youtube.com/user/Faranginissan

Only a few videos, but they're each unique little gems.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 25, 2010

c0rr
Dec 10, 2002

Hey, Ichigo... What are you doing!?
Leaving for KL on the 4th of July with a mate then straight to Bangkok to start a 5 week trip. Only thing organized are the flights and I leave in 8 days (Aus) - no accomadation, no plans, no vaccinations, no insurance and yet Im thinking the lack of planning is gonna make the jump out of my comfort zone all the more enjoyable.

The only thing I'm having second thoughts about is the lack of vaccinations, is there anything I (25yo male) absolutely must get if I plan to be jumping between Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos? I've never had a shot of any sort in the last 10 years to my knowledge, we just don't seem to give too much thought about them here in Australia (well in my social circle that has been the general concensus).

c0rr fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 26, 2010

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

c0rr posted:

The only thing I'm having second thoughts about is the lack of vaccinations, is there anything I (25yo male) absolutely must get if I plan to be jumping between Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos?

Hep A and Hep B would be nice but it's already pretty much too late for those so good luck.

c0rr
Dec 10, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hep A and Hep B would be nice but it's already pretty much too late for those so good luck.

So as long as I stick by the "No glove no love" rule I should be fine?

On a serious note there's a local clinic that should be able to see me tonight after work. The nurse didn't have much of a clue and suggested I come in and ask a doctor about what fast acting vaccines would benefit me.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
Just came back from a trip through SE Asia and southern China, was there from November till early March.

Just wondering if anyone worked their way down to Tat Lo in the southern half of Laos? I spent about a week there and it was by far one of the greatest places I've ever been.

If anyone is in Laos, please take the time to check it out. Easily the most farang-free place I went in SE Asia, even more so than the remote parts of northern Thailand or rural Cambodia. It's a bit of a bitch to get to though. You need to take an overnight sleeper bus from Vientiane south to Pakse and then a 2-4 hour (who knows how many tyres will burst on the trip) to Tat Lo.

The greatest place I went on my entire journey.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

c0rr posted:

So as long as I stick by the "No glove no love" rule I should be fine?

On a serious note there's a local clinic that should be able to see me tonight after work. The nurse didn't have much of a clue and suggested I come in and ask a doctor about what fast acting vaccines would benefit me.

Check to see if your Tetanus is up to date, which if it's been 10+ years, it probably isn't. That's kind of a very important one.

Hep A is a two shot series a month or so apart, should at least get the first shot now which will confer some protection at least.

While I'd rather not be having to get it, currently started Rabies series here in Phnom Penh today as well. drat cats. At least it's cheap as hell here, $18 a shot or so.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

c0rr posted:

Leaving for KL on the 4th of July with a mate then straight to Bangkok to start a 5 week trip. Only thing organized are the flights and I leave in 8 days (Aus) - no accomadation, no plans, no vaccinations, no insurance and yet Im thinking the lack of planning is gonna make the jump out of my comfort zone all the more enjoyable.

The only thing I'm having second thoughts about is the lack of vaccinations, is there anything I (25yo male) absolutely must get if I plan to be jumping between Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos? I've never had a shot of any sort in the last 10 years to my knowledge, we just don't seem
to give too much thought about them here in Australia (well in my social circle that has been the general concensus).

You should really get travel insurance dude, don't be an idiot. If you get hit by a car or trip and break your face or something while you're OS, you really don't want to be paying for an airlift or for an extended stay in hospital.

c0rr
Dec 10, 2002

brendanwor posted:

You should really get travel insurance dude, don't be an idiot. If you get hit by a car or trip and break your face or something while you're OS, you really don't want to be paying for an airlift or for an extended stay in hospital.

I knew there was something I left out. I do plan on organising it before I go, it was the one thing I was definitely not leaving home without (thanks for the reminder).

I just got back from the doctors, I got my tetanus and flu shots, Ill be going backon monday once I get my hep A/typhoid perscription filled. Otherwise I think Im good to go.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

PaoFerro posted:

Just wondering if anyone worked their way down to Tat Lo in the southern half of Laos? I spent about a week there and it was by far one of the greatest places I've ever been.

Sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure I passed through it on my loop around the Bolaven Plateau. You don't need to go all the way there for farang-free though. Just go off the beaten path and you'll be staying in well ventilated houses and drinking rain water :v:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Can anyone recommend a good penang guesthouse?

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

Jet Age posted:

I assume you mean in Georgetown?

Depends what you mean by good. If you want something clean, check out the YMCAs, there's a couple of them (if I recall correctly) in Georgetown. I think we stayed in the Oriental Guest House or something like that, decent place.

Check out Love Lane or Penang Road in Georgetown, there's a big concentration of guesthouses on those streets. Walk on down, check some out and take your pick.

If you're up that way, make sure you go check out Langkawi. It's a bit touristy, but a stunning place with plenty of cheap-ish accomodation. I spent about 4 or 5 days there just kayaking around and going on a bunch of day trips snorkelling etc. It's not as cheap as Thailand, but neither is the whole of Malaysia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's one on Phradipat that makes a mean massaman, but good penang is hard to find at a guest house.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.

Jet Age posted:

If you mean Georgetown, check out the street Lebuh Chulia around little India. It's packed with guesthouses, some good, some bad I guess. One dude I can't remember recommended me Jim's Place Cafe & Guesthouse on that street, but it was closed the day I got there. Looked very inviting though, so maybe worth checking out.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Thanks all, and I did mean Georgetown :) Will check em out.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ahoy friends,

My girlfriend may be offered a 6 month secondment from the UK to Singapore - I'd like to take advantage of this by moving to either there or Bangkok.

I'm a Freelance Web Developer by trade, which means I can at least be mobile for a change like this.

I have a few questions:

1. Visas: It seems I could probably get away with the 3 month tourist visa in Bangkok, and do a run to renew - but what about Singapore? Any ideas?
2. Places to stay: It seems Bangkok holds all the cards here really. Singapore seems incredibly expensive in comparison.
3. What sort of 'fare' to Singapore am I looking at, should I opt to stay in Bangkok?

Thanks for any help guys, and if I do move out there the pints are on me. :shobon:

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
1) I think Malaysia and Singapore are the same: UK citizens receive 90 days visa free upon arrival. I'm not sure how this would change if one needed 180 days, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get a multiple entry visa for that period in advance.

2) Singapore is very expensive, compared with Bangkok. If it's only six months and I was following a girlfriend to Singapore, I'd live in Singapore. Take weekend trips elsewhere, but I wouldn't bother with the commute.

3) Bangkok to Singapore? Often stupidly cheap on any one of Jetstar, Air Asia, or Tiger Airways. Think $AU20 or less - factor in time in transit, and transport costs, and the Singapore option looks better and better.

That said, if you decide not to live in Singapore but to commute to see her, I reckon 2 months in Bangkok, 2 months in Malaysia (not KL), and 2 months in Singapore could be an option...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If you're under 30 and have, are getting, or will start a uni degree, you can apply for a 6 month working holiday visa in Singapore.

Off topic, but I'm curious what "secondment" means in this case. I came across the word in another UK book recently and my impression of the word is it means something like "to be drafted into", but I only saw it used in a military context.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you're under 30 and have, are getting, or will start a uni degree, you can apply for a 6 month working holiday visa in Singapore.

Off topic, but I'm curious what "secondment" means in this case. I came across the word in another UK book recently and my impression of the word is it means something like "to be drafted into", but I only saw it used in a military context.

I'm 29 with a degree, so thats good news - I'll get started on that link.

Basically, her company have a branch over there and she would be brought in to 'examine the cultural and working differences' between the 2 branches. Like you, I had only heard of it in a military scenario, but it seems to fit the purpose at least. :)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've heard that amongst travellers in SE Asia today Vietnam tends to be unpopular compared to the other countries, and I'm interested to here if that's widely true, because it's certainly how I feel now. I can't quite put my finger on it. The Vietnamese seem to lack any kind of intuition or lateral thinking, which makes it much harder to communicate across the language barrier than usual; the customer service is terrible; there are blackouts every second day and nobody seems to care (as opposed to Kampot, Cambodia, where they actually used problem-solving skills and bought generators); the traffic is horrendous... I dunno. Am I just a whiner? I've definitely heard from other people that Vietnam is the lowlight of Indochina, if not all of SE Asia (personally I hated Thailand far more).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

kru posted:

I'm 29 with a degree, so thats good news - I'll get started on that link.

Basically, her company have a branch over there and she would be brought in to 'examine the cultural and working differences' between the 2 branches. Like you, I had only heard of it in a military scenario, but it seems to fit the purpose at least. :)

That sounds like a cool job!

freebooter posted:

I've heard that amongst travellers in SE Asia today Vietnam tends to be unpopular compared to the other countries, and I'm interested to here if that's widely true, because it's certainly how I feel now. I can't quite put my finger on it. The Vietnamese seem to lack any kind of intuition or lateral thinking, which makes it much harder to communicate across the language barrier than usual; the customer service is terrible; there are blackouts every second day and nobody seems to care (as opposed to Kampot, Cambodia, where they actually used problem-solving skills and bought generators); the traffic is horrendous... I dunno. Am I just a whiner? I've definitely heard from other people that Vietnam is the lowlight of Indochina, if not all of SE Asia (personally I hated Thailand far more).

Except for the blackouts you could be describing any country in Southeast Asia from a Western person's point of view. Personally I enjoyed Vietnam and Vietnamese people, but most of my time there was scootin' around on a motorcycle in the backwater bits, not being accosted by hookers in Nha Trang or whatever.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ditto. I've spent most of the past few days in fairly remote regions along the Lao border, near Khe San, although I've spent very little time scooting around on my motorcycle and a lot more time pushing it to mechanics. It's pretty much the same wherever. I've been here more than a month now and I'm just tired of the place and want to be gone.

Of course the next country I'm going to is China, which one goon described as "like a goblin camp from Lord of the Rings."

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

freebooter posted:

I saw all of SE Asia in a four month period, even got up to southern China for a couple of weeks. Although I didn't spend a large amount of time in each country, I could easily say Vietnam was the most forgettable country of the lot.

I'm not entirely sure why, I didn't experience problems with anything related to what you said. I just found Vietnam to be a bit uninteresting. I've done SE Asia twice and both times I found Vietnam to be a bit boring. Definitely preferred the north to the south, though. Hanoi, Sapa etc. in winter had a strange charm about them.

I think that Vietnam is a really cool country, it just doesn't compare with it's amazing neighbours (China, Cambodia and Laos).

If you're planning a SE Asia trip, don't leave it out. It's well worth it to spend a few weeks there.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I recently bought plane tickets for my girlfriend and I to land in Hanoi, spend a few days, go through Laos, then Cambodia, then fly out of Ho Chi Minh. My girlfriend is Korean (don't know if that matters) and I'm wondering how people will treat her. I'm asking this question because I want to do everything in my power to make sure she isn't harmed in any way.

Is there anything I should know before we go on this trip that could help me out? In case she gets hurt or something like that, what kind of information should I be armed with? Any pointers?

I'll be back to read through the thread about all the attractions and so on, but I'm more concerned about safety right now.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

freebooter posted:

To be honest, Vietnam was the least favourite of the countries I've been to in Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Japan, Indonesia). I didn't experience any blackouts, and not sure what you mean about intuition, but I definitely agree on the customer service/attitude side to it. Buying things and just carrying out day-to-day business was a lot more stressful than other places and we encountered a lot of hostility toward us. Apart from an amazing tailor in Hoi An and a really cool guide in Halong Bay we didn't really meet any people who were friendly to us. Also we encountered some racism too, which definitely soured things. My girlfriend is of Indian descent and they really had a problem with us.

I don't want to sour anyone's view of the country though, there were lots of amazing sights and I did really enjoy large parts of it. I think it's just the attitude to us that coloured my opinion. Also we got scammed as soon as we landed in Ho Chi Minh City, and had been travelling for a while since then and were just a little sick of being hassled and ripped off.

Indonesia on the other hand was absolutely awesome, the people were so friendly and welcoming, on every island we went to. Definitely one of my favourite places in the world.

edit: thinking about it got me all nostalgic, so here are a few photos!

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

The roof of our breakfast gazibo thing on the beach at Gili Air. Sitting out facing the beach eating banana pancakes was awesome.

Click here for the full 559x800 image.

Long exposure of the Gili Air beach at about midnight. This was my tenth attempt as it was really dark and I couldn't see a thing.

A woman picking shellfish (I think) in a lagoon on Gili Air. I really like Gili Air, it was peaceful but had a good selection of places to eat/drink. Met some cool people too.

Us sitting at the back of a local bus going out of Yogyakarta. Later on it absolutely pissed it down and the bus leaked like crazy.

An orangutan called Siswi on the jetty at Camp Leakey, along with a ranger. We got to the jetty first so it was just me, my girlfriend, this orangutan and the rangers for about an hour.

Some local kids in the canals of Banjarmasin, Borneo. I went on a bit with a local guide and the boat driver, and the kids just went nuts, they all wanted to high five me and were shouting and cheering, it was great.

Go to Indonesia!

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 5, 2010

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

TreFitty posted:

I recently bought plane tickets for my girlfriend and I to land in Hanoi, spend a few days, go through Laos, then Cambodia, then fly out of Ho Chi Minh. My girlfriend is Korean (don't know if that matters) and I'm wondering how people will treat her. I'm asking this question because I want to do everything in my power to make sure she isn't harmed in any way.

Is there anything I should know before we go on this trip that could help me out? In case she gets hurt or something like that, what kind of information should I be armed with? Any pointers?

I'll be back to read through the thread about all the attractions and so on, but I'm more concerned about safety right now.

You shouldn't be in any physical danger. Your girlfriend won't be harmed unless she really provokes someone. People from that area are relaxed and kind, they avoid confrontation at all costs. Do some reading on 'Face', people from SE Asia seem to believe in it quite strictly.

I'm not sure what you expect is going to happen to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PaoFerro posted:

You shouldn't be in any physical danger. Your girlfriend won't be harmed unless she really provokes someone. People from that area are relaxed and kind, they avoid confrontation at all costs. Do some reading on 'Face', people from SE Asia seem to believe in it quite strictly.

I'm not sure what you expect is going to happen to her?

I think it is more likely that his white face is going to cause more interest (and potentially, though unlikely, conflict) than her asian one will.

TreFitty posted:

Good travel insurance, vaccinations, a basic understanding of the local culture and a ready smile.