Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jarl posted:

When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

You can find Gibbed's save editor on the mods page of masseffectsaves.com.

Edit: Direct link: http://masseffectsaves.com/mods.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PJStelford posted:

Any advice for Just Cause 2? I am stuck on my Droid and the search hates me.

Blow up everything in sight. In fact, blow up things you can't see too just to be sure.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I just bought the Introversion Software megapack for $5 on Steam because I was going to buy Defcon for $10 but why not just get all the games for $5? I want to play Uplink because it seems like a really cool game but I guess I must have missed something because I am miserable at this game. Any hints?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Orgophlax posted:

I know most people recommend putting int to 9, but I'm wondering about everything else? I've seen somewhere else mention about taking str down to 4. Is this wise or would that hinder my carrying ability too much?

I like a high agility to get the most action points. However, luck is always a good skill to increase as it nets you more frequent criticals. If you know what you're doing, you don't really need strength or endurance. I personally don't like skimping on charisma because there's a lot of experience to be gained through speech checks, but that's just one style and it also requires that you invest points in speech.

You should also consider grabbing the easy bobbleheads ASAP so that your skills and attributes aren't too unevenly divided. The Republic of Dave is very far away, but a free +1 to perception is nothing to sneeze at.

Orgophlax posted:

I know about taking the educated and comprehension perks at 4&5, what's good to take before then? I plan on playing a stealth/lock picking character, so should I take the perk that boosts those or the one to raise a stat?

If you're planning on playing meticulously (i.e., visiting every area, grabbing as many skill books as possible, getting all the bobbleheads, etc.), then you may want to spend those early perks on Intense Training. The logic behind this being that skill points are actually easy to come by if you know where to look, but if you're starting out with low strength, you might not have many opportunities to increase it (or another attribute, like luck) for a long time.

If you don't feel like starting out as a total weakling, invest your skill points during level-up in sneak and lockpick (to get them to a decent level quickly) and spend the initial 2-3 perks on Gun Nut so you stay competitive in combat.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm about to play The World Ends with You, what should I know before playing this game? (sorry if this one's been asked).

KillerApp
Jan 28, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm about to play The World Ends with You, what should I know before playing this game? (sorry if this one's been asked).

The game will autoplay your partner if you are to lazy too.

Get as many badges to max level as possible.

Dress snappy to get free badges from store clerks.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

That Awful Nick posted:

I just bought the Introversion Software megapack for $5 on Steam because I was going to buy Defcon for $10 but why not just get all the games for $5? I want to play Uplink because it seems like a really cool game but I guess I must have missed something because I am miserable at this game. Any hints?

Uplink

-At the start, improving your processor speed is king. It'll speed up everything that's not downloading a file.

-I don't know if this bites you in the rear end later, but for security's sake, get Log Deleter v4 as soon as possible and basically designate the tutorial network as the key link in your bouncing chain. So after every mission, go there, and clear out the logs. It's been ages since I played. YMMV. :shobon:

-Keep the IPs given to you for missions on the maps. Extending the connection chains gives you more time for each hacking attempt.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Dr Snofeld posted:

How about Wolfenstein and Anno 1404?

Wolfenstein
- The K98, MP44 and MP40 will do 90% of what you need to do. Get these upgraded ASAP.
- conventional weapons work best on supernatural enemies. Unfortunately there isn't much reason to use the special weapons other than the fact that they look cool.
- If you find all the Tomes of Power, your veil powers get upgraded fully. IMO it's not rally worth it on your first run.
- You can re-do missions if you missed anything in them. Very handy for when you miss that one intel item or sack of gold.
- Mess around with throwing things like pickaxes and sledge hammers. Once you get a little practice you should be able to bean people with them which is not only hilarious, but also stealthy.

Anno 1404
-If you're getting the Expansion, play the first game for the tutorial missions first, just to get the mechanics down. After you get the feel of it, go hog wild.
- Noiras are hilariously broken. If you have a farm plot within the range of more than one, it stacks the efficiency bonus. I currently have an island with tons of spice, Indigo and Goat farms running at 90% or more efficiency with one plot of land. If you get the item that makes them not need to be re-stocked, you're golden.
- Resources can be re-stocked by going to the building that's using them and hitting a button. This allows you to have a literally infinite game.
- Don't start a game if you have something to do within the next 12 hours, because you will sit down for a 20 minute session at noon and play until the sun sets.
- There's a hidden achievement for starting a game between 3 and 5 AM.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 29, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Orfeo posted:

Uplink

-I don't know if this bites you in the rear end later, but for security's sake, get Log Deleter v4 as soon as possible and basically designate the tutorial network as the key link in your bouncing chain. So after every mission, go there, and clear out the logs. It's been ages since I played. YMMV. :shobon:

Not the tutorial one, InterNIC. Reason being they never trace your connection even if you connect directly.

Also don't delete ALL the logs. Delete the logs that say something like "Connection from 127.0.0.1 routed to blah" and "Password accepted from 127.0.0.1". Otherwise, when you leave the site there will be a disconnect log without a corresponding connect log, and on higher difficulty missions that can lead the feds right to you.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Contra Calculus posted:

Don't spend Scarletite until after you've won the game. Post-game content in this game is awesome. If you're a completionist, check out the wiki and save yourself some time on Pin Evolution. It's debatable whether this is a spoiler or not, given the content of the manual, but the game's tutorial doesn't really end until about halfway through the second week.

Oh, and above all else, eat as much as possible as often as possible. It's basically free stat boosts, and if you stay on top of things, +1 ATK or +8 HP here and there adds up after awhile.

Edit: Oh yeah, do spend Scarletite on pin slots. Completionist or not, I'd advise you to check the wiki to find out when and where these are available. It can really make the game more enjoyable having full access to your pin-set.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 30, 2010

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Settlers 7

I'm doing reasonably well on Campaign, but I have this nagging feeling that I'm not taking advantage of the little things. Especially with respect to organizing supply chains, storehouses, and how many constructors I need.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ratatozsk posted:

Don't spend Scarletite until after you've won the game. Post-game content in this game is awesome. If you're a completionist, check out the wiki and save yourself some time on Pin Evolution. It's debatable whether this is a spoiler or not, given the content of the manual, but the game's tutorial doesn't really end until about halfway through the second week.
Better advice would be to spend Scarletite exclusively on Fusion boosts and Pin slots until the post game. The rate at which you collect it is steady enough that you'll be able to spend them safely without missing anything too terribly important, and those slots and fusion boosts will be very important if you take my next piece of advice:

Play on the highest difficulty you can. You can adjust the difficulty dynamically, but the rewards for playing higher are huge.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Any tips for Space Rangers and its sequel?

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Got the x-com pack played the first one for 26 minutes of :psyduck: so any help would be nice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taerkar posted:

For Space Rangers 2 (played the first one briefly and there really doesn't seem to be a point in doing so) you're woefully underpowered in the beginning. The game's technology becomes smaller and more efficient as in-game time passes so the first year is nothing but massive, clunky garbage. Find an area that's being actively contested between the rest of the galaxy and the dominators and scavenge the hell out of it. If a dominator even so much as appears in your viewing window get the gently caress out immediately because you'll die horribly. If you manage to survive then your first run is enough to get good equipment like missile launchers or more efficient engines. There's no such thing as "the best" equipment because every month or so a new model is released that's slightly better or smaller in size.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taerkar posted:

My advice is to just start on the second one, ignore the first. There's really no point at all in going back and playing the first.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Major Ryan posted:

Sorry if that's not really answering your question, but a lot's been said about how boring the mining is and frankly it's not that bad if you don't obsessively strip mine every rock you see.

I'll have to restrain my obsessive compulsive disorder then ;)

m2pt5 posted:

You can find Gibbed's save editor on the mods page of masseffectsaves.com.

Thanks.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Not the tutorial one, InterNIC. Reason being they never trace your connection even if you connect directly.

Also don't delete ALL the logs. Delete the logs that say something like "Connection from 127.0.0.1 routed to blah" and "Password accepted from 127.0.0.1". Otherwise, when you leave the site there will be a disconnect log without a corresponding connect log, and on higher difficulty missions that can lead the feds right to you.

How can I delete the logs like that?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Captain Novolin posted:

If you get the item that makes them not need to be re-stocked,

Wait are you serious? The only reason I didn't play a continous game to infinity was because I couldn't be bothered to keep restocking. That means you'll never have to re-add water to your noria right?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Dr Snofeld posted:

How about Wolfenstein and Anno 1404?

Look at farms and see how many fields you need, you don't always need to put 6 plots down to run a farm.

Early on in the very first mission, be sure to keep sending a ship to Richard Northburgh for tools. You'll run out long before you can build a tool workshop.

Have extra ships, and plenty of wood/tools before starting a settlement in the Orient. Sucks to have to run back and forth with one ship for resources because you weren't prepared.

Be sure to build a fire house once you see your citizen numbers rising.

After you get tool workshops up and running be sure to upgrade your warehouses. This is easily overlooked later in the game.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

gmq posted:

I just got Dirt 2 and I'm crashing everywhere and everything in the first track. Any tips? (I'm playing with a cheap ps2 controller knockoff if it matters). Tips for GRID would also be great.

Don't know that much about Dirt 2 as I just got it myself and am finding it to be frustratingly different from Grid.

But for GRID:
(I have no idea how much of this stuff is just my personal playstyle)

- Restart if you mess up in the beginning, don't waste flashbacks because if you gently caress-up on that last lap you are going to want one
- You can use flashbacks even if you didn't wreck, just press start and go to instant replay
- Be aggressive and try to get into first as fast as you can, if you mess up and another car bumps you into a barrier you can just restart or flashback. But squeeze between cars, take turns fast using your opponents as guardrails, and cut corners. Once you're in first it's usually pretty easy to hold onto
- Most turns can be made by tapping the regular brake once and drifting around the corner. It takes timing, but this tactic can really help to retain a lot of your speed and is something the AI doesn't really take advantage of. (From what I've found, cars with about 3 grip are able to do this most effectively)
- Driving offers are a waste of time unless it's for Le mans and you cant afford a GT1 car yet, you will probably figure this out but they give way less money and reputation
- Restarting on touge will make you do the descent over again even if you are on the climb
- Don't do the touge with your first car, it is impossible to beat anyone except the first guy because the other cars will go 10x faster then you
- Formula 100 is a whole different beast, so when you get to it you will likely need to change the way you drive
- Most of the upper tier drift cars will drift on their own when you take a turn, not requiring you to initiate with the e-brake
- getting high scores in drift is about large combos. If you have a long stretch of road before another turn you can often sustain combos by swaying your car left and right making really tiny drifts that refresh the timer
- Le Mans is hard as poo poo until you learn the course, so side with more flashbacks instead of increased reputation when you do it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for playing World in Conflict? Online specifically? Everyone else seems to be bouncing fuel air bombs and what-not whilst I'm struggling to get more than a tank buster. I play as infantry mostly if that helps.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Luisfe posted:

How can I delete the logs like that?

There's a list of them, just use log deleter v4 on them.

Oh, another tip, first thing you should do at the start of the game is max your loan from the Uplink Bank, and then buy the password cracker and Trace Tracker v4. That should cost all your money, but those are essential. The really basic missions don't have any passive traces so you can get away with not deleting your InterNIC logs until you can save up for Log Deleter v4 and clear out InterNIC.

Also, you should only ever buy the highest level of software, because anything else is a waste. The sole exception to this is to buy Proxy Disable v1 once Social Security missions crop up, as they're very profitable at that point in the game and you can't complete them without at least v1 Proxy Disable.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Captain combat bear posted:

Got the x-com pack played the first one for 26 minutes of :psyduck: so any help would be nice.
Cool, another X-COM convert!

Your starting troops are expendable. You WILL take many casualties in the beginning. Just hire new fodder on a continuous basis.

The starting pistols and rifles suck. I recommend relying on grenades, rockets, and other heavy weapons until you can start researching more effective alien weaponry.

Try to capture live aliens if possible, since certain live specimens open up important research paths. Stun bombs and stun sticks are wonderful - often they disable enemies faster than lethal weaponry.

Bring tons of flares for night missions. Actually, try not to operate at night if you can help it.

Respond to every terror mission but if you can't handle the aliens, landing and then immediately dusting off will give you less of a country support hit than ignoring the site.

Sell all equipment you don't need for money. Later in the game you can support yourself by manufacturing items for sale, on top of selling loot. Never sell Element 115/Elerium though, since you can't make it yourself and it's a vital component for late-game gear.

There are great FAQs on the web that go into great detail, but this should get you started...

hundley
May 26, 2010

by mons al-madeen
Heavy Rain

People will say this to you, and you'll shrug it off like I did, but really, try to keep your experience as pure as possible (that is, don't reload, or use a guide). The story will play out dramatically and richly no matter what happens. If you're worried about missing plot details because you missed something or someone died, all I can say is that's not really a concern. The game will reach a conclusion no matter what, and though I didn't get the happiest ending I was very satisfied with my experience.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dr Snofeld posted:

How about Anno 1404?

You can search my posts in this thread for lots of info.

upperthorax posted:

After you get tool workshops up and running be sure to upgrade your warehouses. This is easily overlooked later in the game.

Never use large occidental warehouses. Oriental warehouses give the exact same bonuses with lower upkeep and lower overall material costs. If you know you want a warehouse with a large number of carts, go Oriental instead.

Kruller fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 30, 2010

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

hundley posted:

Heavy Rain

People will say this to you, and you'll shrug it off like I did, but really, try to keep your experience as pure as possible (that is, don't reload, or use a guide). The story will play out dramatically and richly no matter what happens. If you're worried about missing plot details because you missed something or someone died, all I can say is that's not really a concern. The game will reach a conclusion no matter what, and though I didn't get the happiest ending I was very satisfied with my experience.

This, but applied to Alpha Protocol as well, just pretend there aren't any trophies and enjoy telling people to gently caress off, shagging material witnesses and generally being a sneaky jerkwad. Or not, if that's how you want to play.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

CaptainEO posted:

Cool, another X-COM convert!

Your starting troops are expendable. You WILL take many casualties in the beginning. Just hire new fodder on a continuous basis.

The starting pistols and rifles suck. I recommend relying on grenades, rockets, and other heavy weapons until you can start researching more effective alien weaponry.

Try to capture live aliens if possible, since certain live specimens open up important research paths. Stun bombs and stun sticks are wonderful - often they disable enemies faster than lethal weaponry.

Bring tons of flares for night missions. Actually, try not to operate at night if you can help it.

Respond to every terror mission but if you can't handle the aliens, landing and then immediately dusting off will give you less of a country support hit than ignoring the site.

Sell all equipment you don't need for money. Later in the game you can support yourself by manufacturing items for sale, on top of selling loot. Never sell Element 115/Elerium though, since you can't make it yourself and it's a vital component for late-game gear.

There are great FAQs on the web that go into great detail, but this should get you started...

I just bought the game based off of this post, it sounds exactly like my type of game. While I'm downloading, is there any particular order I should play these in? The Complete pack comes with five games, I don't want to jump into the middle of a storyline or anything.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

ArchRanger posted:

I just bought the game based off of this post, it sounds exactly like my type of game. While I'm downloading, is there any particular order I should play these in?

Not really.

By release date:

UFO, TFTD, Apoc, Interceptor, Enforcer

Chronologically:

UFO, Enforcer, TFTD, Interceptor, Apoc

Interceptor and Enforcer are very different games and stand alone fairly well. They also suck. Interceptor has the most backstory fluff out of all the games, and it's the most interesting part of it, sadly. You might want to play TFTD before UFO since TFTD has a lot of bullshit to deal with, and I think it may be better to not know you're dealing with its bullshit until after you've played it, moved on to UFO and discovered how much better UFO is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For a counter-point, I think TFTD might have enough bullshit to make you disenchanted with the series. Maybe if you were 10 and this was 1995, you could have gotten away with playing it first, but now it will just seem bug-riddled and poorly designed.

I think it's better to play UFO Defense first, find out why everyone loves it so much, then when you're curious, play TFTD to find out why it's such a jarring release for everyone. Then when you're ready to move on, play Apocalypse and see how they evolved the x-com formula, for better or for worse. And pretend Enforcer and Interceptor don't exist.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Contra Calculus posted:

-It's definitely worth it to level down and switch your difficulty to get different pins to drop; later in the game you can get some super-powerful pins off random enemies without having to gently caress around with a pin evolution FAQ.

-It's been said a couple times above, but save your scarletite to buy pin slots and fusion level stickers.

-Top screen combat is super important, even if you don't try to do anything fancy with jumping (i never figured jumping out :saddowns:) or fusion points just mashing left or right will get the light puck going. The puck will give you up to 5x damage if you keep your characters fed (it's based on sync rate) and you can't damage certain enemies without it, so it's good to get used to using it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

That Awful Nick posted:

Uplink

Adding onto what everyone else said: Be paranoid as hell (I generally clear out a few different redirects worth of connections), and bounce your connection off every server you can. Every time.

Don't think you'll get away with not bouncing if you're just going to gently caress around. You're not, and you will get caught.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Thanks for all the Uplink advice! I played for a considerable amount of time last night and thanks to all your helpful advice I'm getting pretty rich and, from a practical standpoint, the feds have no clue who I am or what I'm up to.

Cheers all around, I feel like I'm finally good at a game for smart people!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

KillerApp posted:

:words:

Ratatozsk posted:

Samog posted:

Thank you, both of you. Wow, one game and they already got a wiki for it. I haven't gotten that far, but I'll keep you guys' advice in mind.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Orgophlax posted:

So I'm going to try and do a serious run through of Fallout 3 since I just got the GOTY edition.

I know most people recommend putting int to 9, but I'm wondering about everything else? I've seen somewhere else mention about taking str down to 4. Is this wise or would that hinder my carrying ability too much?

I know about taking the educated and comprehension perks at 4&5, what's good to take before then? I plan on playing a stealth/lock picking character, so should I take the perk that boosts those or the one to raise a stat?

A high intelligence means lots of skill points so if you go for 8 or 9 intelligence don't get any perks that just add skill points. The game is definitely fun and doable with lower intelligence but the uber-build requires high int. Str of 4 is just fine. You should sell the crap you find as often as possible anyway and use the weapons you find for repairing rather than trying to carry around an arsenal. Repair and small guns are probably the best skills, btw.

If you have high lockpick you don't need high hacking skill since there are usually two ways to open important things.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Also, to everyone complaining about Morrowind's slow character speed: look up the boots of blinding speed. Get/make/craft some magic resist spells that last 1 second. Cast spells, put boots on. Bam.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Regarding X-COM play order: UFO Defense is the true original experience. TFTD is kind of like an expansion pack with few major additions. It's also more difficult - terror and base assault missions can be twice as long, and the new alien types are more deadly. Try it once you get the hang of UFO Defense. (if you are still having trouble in the first game, TFTD will grind your rear end into hamburger and serve it to you on a plate).

Apocalypse changes the formula a bit, but some people like it. The flight sim, FPS, and "new" X-COM games (Aftermath etc) are all terrible.

If you are looking for more after playing the original UFO/TFTD, then your next stop should be Jagged Alliance 2 (with the community 1.13 patch).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A few more tips for Uplink from the perspective of someone who dropped the $5 a few days ago:

Looking to get that really long bounce path set up? Visit InterNIC (you don't need to get bouncy, you're there for publicly available information), add every single address they have to your address list, then disconnect. Then go into your map and set up a chain through every one of them (you'll want to use the zoom function). Hit 'save' once you're done. When you want to hack someplace, hit 'load', then click the target (which will be green) once to remove it from the path and again to add it to the end. Periodically update your chain by adding the new addresses you learn doing missions, and you're golden.

Trace detection software needs very little CPU power. Feel free to jack up the other programs as much as you need.

It's easy to get your rank to a point where you're being offered missions you can't do yet because you don't have enough money to buy the necessary tools. Don't panic; if you advance time, new missions will appear, including lower-level ones.

Most of the news posts aren't interesting, but some are. You'll quickly learn which ones are 'some hacker jacked our stuff'; then just keep an eye out for the different ones.

To defeat voice security, you need to (a) get the right software and (b) get a voice sample. To get the voice sample, visit the company's public site and add their admin's phone number to your address list, then connect to it with the software running. If you have v2 of the software, you can even save the sample for future use if you want, but it's probably a waste of a gigaquad.

When you're told you can't connect to somewhere without first connecting to a trusted site, all that means is that one of their other sites has to be next to last in the bounces. Load your bounce path, route to (say) their public site, then route to the actual destination.

You can highlight an address in orange on the world map by clicking on the icon to the right of its address in the list so it looks like a plus sign. Among other uses, it makes the previous tip a bit easier to use.

On the missions where you need to copy a lot of data from one server to another, you can do it in multiple trips if you don't have the storage space to do it in one. Just be sure to erase your file accesses from the victim's logs.

Oh, and one last tip regarding plot missions (no spoilers): at some point, someone will send you email asking you to do them a little favor. You'll go down one plot path if you do what they say, but if you'd rather not, just wait a little while and you'll get another email from someone else...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Any tips for a total newbie at Red Orchestra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

About Just Cause 2, it took me a while to figure this out but you'll notice in the upper left a little cell phone reception meter. The fuller it gets the closer you are to a powerup. When it starts flashing you'll end up getting an icon on your screen pointing to its direction.

Getting 100% on some maps can be difficult because you'll end up missing some tiny, insignificant item. I always use an attack helicopter to scout around and blow poo poo up. The easiest things to miss because they aren't red and noticeable are generators (which are usually tucked away) and these small little red boxes that are found near power transformers.