Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm fixing to buy a set of studio monitors (loving finally), and I'm not sure on how to go about using them as normal speakers. I want to run my computer's output, interface's output, a metronome, and maybe an iPod or something through them. Is a line mixer (particularly this one) the way to go for something like this?

e: dumbquestion snoipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone experienced with reaper? I have this weird problem where if I change a setting on a VST, it randomly revert back to the default setting, or in the case of my strings VST, it'll just switch to random settings whenever it feels like it. What the hell? Am I missing a settings that makes it revert back or what?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
$50 Studio Projects B1 or $99 sE Electronics X1? Vocals, male baritone, various female, spoken word. Can jump on a $70 SP VTB1 pre-amp deal while at it.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm fixing to buy a set of studio monitors (loving finally), and I'm not sure on how to go about using them as normal speakers. I want to run my computer's output, interface's output, a metronome, and maybe an iPod or something through them. Is a line mixer (particularly this one) the way to go for something like this?

e: dumbquestion snoipe

These might be more what you're looking for?

I have a Samson C-control for that purpose and it does a great job for the price.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Has anyone here ever played a J Mascis Jazzmaster? I'm curious about how big the neck is. I want my next guitar will have a slimmer neck profile than the Epiphone Les Paul that I have now, being that my hand cramps up when playing bar chords on the Epi sometimes. I love the feel of an AVRI Jazzmaster neck but that's out of my price range for a long time and I'm looking at other Jazzmasters.

scb
May 2, 2009
What's the best instrument to play if I want people to think I'm a really really cool guy?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

scb posted:

What's the best instrument to play if I want people to think I'm a really really cool guy?

Bass + shades + negroplasty.

---------------------------------

I'm going to try my hand at building effects pedals, so to try it out I'm ordering a kit from GGG or BYOC. Any suggestions on a first build that's not just an A/B box or signal boost? I could still use a Tubescreamer clone, fuzz, reverb, phaser and wah on my pedalboard - are any of these significantly harder to make than others?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could find a schematic for a Mosrite fuzz. They're supposedly quite simple and it's the classic fuzz sound.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Where's a good place to buy a guitar and other music equipment in Denver? I know there's a Guitar Center, but I'm not really a fan.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Hey guys, I'm looking for something small and cheap to record direct to the PC via USB. I have a bunch of inputs hooked up to a loop pedal, so it will only need to have one input for the main signal, then an output for my amp, and of course a USB connection.

If you have any suggestions post em here! The cheaper the better.. looking for something simple to get my ideas out of my head and onto an mp3..

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

I r Pat posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for something small and cheap to record direct to the PC via USB. I have a bunch of inputs hooked up to a loop pedal, so it will only need to have one input for the main signal, then an output for my amp, and of course a USB connection.

If you have any suggestions post em here! The cheaper the better.. looking for something simple to get my ideas out of my head and onto an mp3..

A lot of people really like Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/

Price point (free) is in your range as well.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

A lot of people really like Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/

Price point (free) is in your range as well.
Well this is cool, but I need the actual hardware to plug it into my computer first.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've got Pro Tools LE 7 on my mac laptop, but I got a new mac laptop recently. Is there any way for me to move the Pro Tools over to the new laptop?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

scb posted:

Pedal steel without question

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I take a big fat condenser microphone and try to run it with a really lovely amp on a lovely mixer and get nearly no sound out of it, only weak stuff I have to gain the hell out of and ruin to be able to hear, the fault lies with the amp right?

Picked up a used Studio Projects B1 with a complete kit and it's so beautiful. And my only form of mic amp currently is a Behringer MX piece of poo poo mixer.

Of course the Behringer C1 mic works with it.

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

For he goes birling down a-down the white water
I have no idea if this is the correct thread to ask this question in but I'm giving it a shot.

I have a 20ish year old Vantage electric with a locking nut. I have a decent set of allen keys but none of them fit the nut screws. Is there a standard size for this?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
its probly a metric size, not a standard size :eng101:

e: you should be able to pick up a set of metric keys for a few bucks. you might want to google for information about your particular guitar, whether its a kahler or floyd rose or w/e

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

For he goes birling down a-down the white water

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you might want to google for information about your particular guitar, whether its a kahler or floyd rose or w/e

Here's a picture if anyone wants to take a shot at googling it. I looked around but I couldn't find anything.

Click here for the full 600x1455 image.

edit: here's a tinypic url http://i46.tinypic.com/2ugf211.jpg

DeeBye fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 1, 2010

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I have a few questions that you folks may be able to help me with. I'm looking first of all for a good method of drastically increasing sustain. Is there any pedal out there that simply creates a sustain effect without otherwise altering the guitar sound? This seems illogical to me, but it could be possible, just I haven't heard of it yet. Also, I'll be able to afford the Moog E1 by late fall, but it would be cool to have a pedal in the meantime.
Second question: I need a cheap half stack. I had to let go of my Orange half stack awhile ago :( Well, now I have this job with a band that can actually afford to pay me, so I'm going to need my own rig again. I don't want to spend a lot on something that may not be a recoupable expenditure, so...cheap is the key. Any help on what's both cheap and decent would be appreciated. The price range I'm looking at is less than $700.
I'll save the third question for later.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

If I take a big fat condenser microphone and try to run it with a really lovely amp on a lovely mixer and get nearly no sound out of it, only weak stuff I have to gain the hell out of and ruin to be able to hear, the fault lies with the amp right?

Picked up a used Studio Projects B1 with a complete kit and it's so beautiful. And my only form of mic amp currently is a Behringer MX piece of poo poo mixer.

Of course the Behringer C1 mic works with it.

I don't know about your specific equipment but condenser mics are active electronics, they need a small amount of power sent to them in order to work properly. Your amp might have a setting for "phantom power" make sure this is enabled or the mic won't be able to pick up anything.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

I have a few questions that you folks may be able to help me with. I'm looking first of all for a good method of drastically increasing sustain. Is there any pedal out there that simply creates a sustain effect without otherwise altering the guitar sound? This seems illogical to me, but it could be possible, just I haven't heard of it yet. Also, I'll be able to afford the Moog E1 by late fall, but it would be cool to have a pedal in the meantime.
Second question: I need a cheap half stack. I had to let go of my Orange half stack awhile ago :( Well, now I have this job with a band that can actually afford to pay me, so I'm going to need my own rig again. I don't want to spend a lot on something that may not be a recoupable expenditure, so...cheap is the key. Any help on what's both cheap and decent would be appreciated. The price range I'm looking at is less than $700.

Increasing sustain is one of the effects of a compressor pedal. Or you could just add more gain, either method means more noise though. Then there are sustainer pickups but they seem kind of tacky to me.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

...a good method of drastically increasing sustain.

There are some devices that you can install directly into the guitar that with a flip of a switch will give you infinite sustain. Fernandes make some kits ( http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer-kits.html ) and another mob called Sustaniac ( http://www.sustainiac.com/ ) seem to do a similar thing as well.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

A compressor may give you some extra sustain, but it will alter the sound to a certain extent. An eBow will give you infinite sustain, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Crudus posted:

I don't know about your specific equipment but condenser mics are active electronics, they need a small amount of power sent to them in order to work properly. Your amp might have a setting for "phantom power" make sure this is enabled or the mic won't be able to pick up anything.

It's activated on the terrible mixer I have. The C1 is a condenser microphone that runs with it, works flawlessly although it is a bit quiet compared to everything else I can feed into the mixer, louder with more noise when given more gain. Turn it all off for a while, plug in the B1, get it on and let the pre-amp prepare and then, nearly nothing out of the B1 but small indications that it's getting far from enough power.

Of course, the one proper music shop downtown sold their last <100€ mic pre-amp yesterday.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the answers. I'll definitely check out that kit and the sustainiac thing. I do already have an eBow+ and I like it a lot, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe if it could be altered to vibrate multiple strings? I don't know. I do really hate the compressed sound. That milky sound is generally annoying to me. The Moog guitar is pretty much the only answer to what I want in a guitar, and basically what I've wanted in a guitar forever.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
What's the best way to amplify my laptop for jamming with others? I have some friends who play guitar and bass and they want me to lay down some drum samples with them. A friend of mine DJs from his laptop and has a PA, but I don't want a huge setup like that for a jam session. Should I just look into getting a studio monitor and external soundcard?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SkandalousPanda posted:

What's the best way to amplify my laptop for jamming with others? I have some friends who play guitar and bass and they want me to lay down some drum samples with them. A friend of mine DJs from his laptop and has a PA, but I don't want a huge setup like that for a jam session. Should I just look into getting a studio monitor and external soundcard?

If you have a decent home hifi system you could just get a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and run from your headphone out socket on the laptop directly into the stereo. Also any of the low/mid range Logitech computer speaker sets can put out reasonable amounts of volume and are perfectly capable of keeping up in a jamming situation but anything beyond that probably not as much. I have a set of logis hooked up to my Roland V-Drums and they work fine for what I need, but obviously I would not perform with them.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Got another question - one that might actually be worthy of a thread, and it surprises me that one doesn't exist yet. I need to know about more independent effects creators. Ones that create weird effects, like my friend, Devi at deviever.com. Devi is a pretty talented person and her pedals largely focus around fuzz. Her pedals are also very well priced. I'm looking for other weird effects - not just fuzz - that are fairly affordable, although I'm not too cheap to shell out some bank for a pedal that's really worth it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Look at the effect pedal thread, theres a lot of stuff mentioned in there, especially as regards boutique pedal builders.

I like Devis stuff but Im too superstitious to play through a fuzz pedal :lol:

Moog Musics moogerfoogers are some really great effects, but not quite so affordable. They do play nice with modular synth gear, though

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Im too superstitious to play through a fuzz pedal

What do you mean? :confused:

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Look at the effect pedal thread, theres a lot of stuff mentioned in there, especially as regards boutique pedal builders.

I like Devis stuff but Im too superstitious to play through a fuzz pedal :lol:

Moog Musics moogerfoogers are some really great effects, but not quite so affordable. They do play nice with modular synth gear, though

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't see this thread. I didn't get the "too superstitious" bit...anyway, Moogs are super-expensive. I've played with a MuRF before, and it is amazing, but...not necessarily what I'm looking for. If I had spare cash, I'd buy it in an instant.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

4MS is a pretty cool company, they have kits for their stuff, as well as enough documentation on the projects that if you can make your own PCB's you can do it yourself completely. They also recently started offering the projects in the modular synth style modulus.
http://www.4mspedals.com/

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I had a frantic 5 minutes troubleshooting my pedalboard last night at jams, it turned out the vocalist had accidentally dragged a cable across it and it'd turned my Decimator noise reduction knob all the way up. Do you guys use anything to make sure that your pedal dials don't accidentally get knocked around? I'm paranoid that this might happen at a show.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Depends. Certain pedals that I know I'm not going to gently caress with and do not want hosed with get duct taped. Also, People who are in a band together should be respectful of each other's space.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

MrLonghair posted:

It's activated on the terrible mixer I have. The C1 is a condenser microphone that runs with it, works flawlessly although it is a bit quiet compared to everything else I can feed into the mixer, louder with more noise when given more gain. Turn it all off for a while, plug in the B1, get it on and let the pre-amp prepare and then, nearly nothing out of the B1 but small indications that it's getting far from enough power.

Of course, the one proper music shop downtown sold their last <100€ mic pre-amp yesterday.

Are you sure it's not the microphone itself? Do you have another mixer you can try it on?

As far as I know, the Behringer C-1 and Studio Projects B1 are very similar microphones. You shouldn't have to do anything different to get one or the other to work.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Concatenation posted:

I had a frantic 5 minutes troubleshooting my pedalboard last night at jams, it turned out the vocalist had accidentally dragged a cable across it and it'd turned my Decimator noise reduction knob all the way up. Do you guys use anything to make sure that your pedal dials don't accidentally get knocked around? I'm paranoid that this might happen at a show.

ballgameover.mp3 said it all basically, but I'd also recommend marking the location of each knob with a permanent marker in case you don't want to duct tape it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rt4 posted:

What do you mean? :confused:

I enjoy jazz, and I enjoy jazz cigarettes. I do not enjoy the fuzz, or having them pay a visit, hence I wont play my music through a box with their name on it. Itd be bad luck. That is how to be too superstitious to play a fuzz pedal :eng101:

Also, if youre terrified that the knobs on your pedals will get turned, well, I dont know where you learned how to rock and roll, man :eng99:

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Aside from what everyone else said, keep a cheat sheet?

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.
Just a little painters tape and a sharpie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I enjoy jazz, and I enjoy jazz cigarettes. I do not enjoy the fuzz, or having them pay a visit, hence I wont play my music through a box with their name on it. Itd be bad luck. That is how to be too superstitious to play a fuzz pedal :eng101:

Also, if youre terrified that the knobs on your pedals will get turned, well, I dont know where you learned how to rock and roll, man :eng99:

Wow. That's pretty nuts, but whatever works, man.