Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Another example, using the same stuff from the first one:

1- Active player rolls a 9, 14, and 19. Reactive player rolls a 9.

2- Because the reactive player rolled a critical (exact target number) he wins the face to face.

In any face to face situation, someone HAS to win, so there is never an instance where both models get hit with shots.

Note that there are other reactions available besides shooting back. A lot of times its more advantageous to dodge, because your opponent is hard to hit or is shooting some nasty gun or something.

You may run into an instance, for example, when a sniper shoots at you from across the board, and he needs 13 or less or something like that, and you would need a 3 or less shooting back with your combi rifle.

In that instance, its better to dodge, which is just a face to face roll using your PH stat, which is usually around 10-13. Thats better odds than rolling 3 or under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
PV covered this nicely, only thing I'll add is that each enemy unit that has LoS to your unit when you activate it gets a single ARO against it (and only against it). This is for every single order you spend, so if you activate a unit three times within LoS of three enemy units, they get an ARO each three times.

Oh and to put it a little clearer than PV's example: when firing back as part of an ARO, your goal is to roll a hit, but roll higher than your opponent. So if both your target numbers are 11, the opponent rolls 9 and you roll 10, you win the face-off and shoot him before he can shoot you. The stuff about crits still applies.

Also PV, I'll take a look at that Nomads list at some point in the future that isn't tonight. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 12, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ansob. posted:

Also PV, I'll take a look at that Nomads list at some point in the future that isn't tonight. :)

Right on. Ill be posting another 300 pt list for a tourney that is on 6/29, its a 300 point "boarding action" type deal, so no TAGs/guided/speculative/AD lvl3

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Thanks for clearing that up, PV!

It seems like Infinity is a really badass system due to the power of overwatch and now I understand the way opposed shootouts work it should be a lot more interesting.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

Thanks for clearing that up, PV!

It seems like Infinity is a really badass system due to the power of overwatch and now I understand the way opposed shootouts work it should be a lot more interesting.

Np dude. Post if you have anymore questions, its definitely a weird system til you get the hang of it, then it goes pretty fast.

Speaking of infinity, here are some pics of my last game, a 300 pt "objective" battle.

We use 3 objectives, which are worth 1 VP per turn you hold them. (blue cog counters)

TABLE

Nomad setup

CA setup

Objective inside a ruined library building

A really crazy situation involving an impersonating speculo killer, a zero who was pinned down on one side by suppression fire and a charontid on the other. There are 2 mines and a morlock throwing smoke nades in the mix, hectic poo poo.

The bastard charontid:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This is going to be a lollacaust

NOMADS
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 (Regs: 9/Irrs: 0):

INTERVENTOR Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife (26 | 0.5)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:11 PH:10 WIP:15 ARM:1 BTS:-3 W:1
Regular, Not Impetuous, Cube
Hacking Device Plus, Lieutenant

VERTIGO ZOND Guided Missile Launcher / Electric Pulse (34 | 1)
MOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:11 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:-3 STR:1
Regular, Not Impetuous, G: Remote Presence

STEMPLER ZOND Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse (22)
MOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:11 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:-3 STR:1
Forward Observer, Repeater, Sensor, Climbing Plus

TSYKLON Spitfire, Marker / Electric Pulse (37 | 1)
MOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:12 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:3 BTS:-6 STR:1
Repeater, Climbing Plus, 360º Visor

TSYKLON Feuerbach / Electric Pulse (38 | 1.5)
MOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:12 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:3 BTS:-6 STR:1
Repeater, Climbing Plus, 360º Visor

ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife (21)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:11 PH:12 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:0 W:1
CH: Camouflage, Infiltration, Forward Observer

ZERO E/Mauler, Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife (24 | 0.5)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:11 PH:12 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:0 W:1
CH: Camouflage, Infiltration, Deployable Repeater

SPEKTR MULTI Sniper Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife (43 | 1.5)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:12 PH:12 WIP:14 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1
CH: TO Camouflage, Infiltration

INTRUDER HMG, Grenades / Pistol, CCW (44 | 1.5)
MOV:4-2 CC:14 BS:13 PH:12 WIP:14 ARM:3 BTS:0 W:1
Regular, Not Impetuous, No Cube
CH: Camouflage, Multiespectral Visor L2, Multiterrain

GROUP 2 (Regs: 7/Irrs: 2):

HELLCAT Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun, Adhesive Launcher / Pistol, Knife (25 | 0.5)
MOV:4-2 CC:14 BS:12 PH:12 WIP:13 ARM:2 BTS:0 W:1
AD: Combat Jump | Zero-G, V: Courage

HELLCAT Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife (24)
MOV:4-2 CC:14 BS:12 PH:12 WIP:13 ARM:2 BTS:0 W:1
AD: Combat Jump | Zero-G, V: Courage

3x ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife (10)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:11 PH:10 WIP:13 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1

TOMCAT Engineer Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, D-Charges + 1 Zondcat / Pistol, Knife (28)
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:12 PH:11 WIP:13 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1
AD: Airborne Infiltration | Zero-G, Climbing Plus, Engineer

ZONDCAT Electric Pulse
MOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:8 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:-3 W:1
Regular, Not Impetuous, G: Servant
AD: Airborne Infiltration | Zero-G, CH: Mimetism, Engineer

SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / (90 | 2)
MOV:6-4 CC:17 BS:14 PH:17 WIP:13 ARM:8 BTS:-9 STR:3
ECM

SZALAMANDRA PILOT Pistol, Knife
MOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:11 PH:10 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:0 STR:1
Pilot

2x MORLOCK Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW (7)
MOV:4-4 CC:18 BS:11 PH:13 WIP:14 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1
Irregular, Impetuous, No Cube
Martial Arts L2, MetaChemistry

500 Points | SWC: 10

ARMY CODE:
code:
eNply8ENwDAIQ9Fp6jPGIcpwGT5QlF56+Q+BMD4SCG5fsGI241I3BkYTxXyX3YDgWcvyV+VDzurVgn8cXMca4g==
Army Infinity v.3.0.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm going to go ahead and post this here since there isn't a thread for Origins or one for Malifaux anymore. The group I go down with will be running Malifaux events that aren't listed in the book and only mentioned on the Wyrd forums as far as I know.

quote:

30 SS Scrap
Cost: 4.00
Thursday 9pm

60 SS Brawl
Friday 9pm

Malifaux Out of the Box
Saturday 6pm
A beginner event for players exposed to Malifaux at the convention. Players must purchase a starter Malifaux Crew box and bring it to the event. First hour is for Crew assembly. Players will be paired for a Swiss Round tournament, number of rounds dependent upon number of players.

Wyrd will provide prizes in the form of booth credit for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Also Available..

Malifaux Pick Up Games
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10am to 6pm
Cost: 1 token per hour
Hey want to play Malifaux. Then, stop by and play - you don't even need models or another player - we can provide both.

Malifaux off the Wall
Friday midnight
This is going be nuts - everyone prepare for fun. This is a multi-player event where everything is subject to change right down to Crew size. Some players might have different builds. We are hoping this will encourage the intensity of your strategy and encourage diplomacy.

I have no idea if any of you are interested in these or not but I figured no harm would be done in posting. I have no idea what that off the wall thing is but I really hope they let me know since I'm apparently the guy running it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So for anyone who still reads this thread, it seems like the vast majority of posting here was about infinity. So instead of continually maintaining this thread, Im going to create a thread specifically for infinity, with a much more informative OP.

Ill post the link here as soon as I finish it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

here it is, bookmark it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320681

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Does that mean that all the other cool games in this thread will die a slow painful death?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Haha, nah. If you want to talk about any other alt game here, feel free, but since infinity is my favorite (and only current) miniature game I play, I felt a full thread would promote it better.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
After neglecting this thread for a while I've read through to catch up. Today I ordered a Monsterpocalypse Rise starter, and will go from there. Also preordered the Voltron set.
Is it a stupid idea to mount the maps on something sturdier for play?

Also bought the Malifaux rulebook earlier this year, really want to try it out, and liking the look of Infinity as well.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I put my monpoc maps inside a cheap poster frame, which works perfectly and keeps the map surface super flat. It also is a nice surface to roll dice on.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KTS posted:

After neglecting this thread for a while I've read through to catch up. Today I ordered a Monsterpocalypse Rise starter, and will go from there. Also preordered the Voltron set.

I've seen people laminate their maps, so, no, it's not a dumb idea, it just makes storage a tad harder.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Go to Lowes/Home Depot wherever and get a piece of plexi cut to fit. Once put on top of a map it makes a great playing surface. Then you can keep maps folded except when under the plexi.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Go to Lowes/Home Depot wherever and get a piece of plexi cut to fit. Once put on top of a map it makes a great playing surface. Then you can keep maps folded except when under the plexi.

Yeah thats basically what my cheap poster frame does, its got the clear plastic cover. Plexi would probably be more durable and cool looking though :]

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

KTS posted:

My buddies and I laminated a few of our heroclix maps back in the day. It makes it tougher to lug them around, but they were easier to use and were sturdier.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20519

dunno if this is old news but.... monapoc movie

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Well, I was out shopping today, and paid RRP ($50) for a Monsterpocalypse starter set cause I couldn't wait for my other one to be delivered.
Got Sky Sentinel as my monster from this pack, I had my eye on him and was going to buy a GUARD set when I figured I'd wait for the starter sets before shopping.
Is it worth buying the Mega for him? I figure I'll buy a bunch of singles to make a good force for him anyway.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KTS posted:

Well, I was out shopping today, and paid RRP ($50) for a Monsterpocalypse starter set cause I couldn't wait for my other one to be delivered.
Got Sky Sentinel as my monster from this pack, I had my eye on him and was going to buy a GUARD set when I figured I'd wait for the starter sets before shopping.
Is it worth buying the Mega for him? I figure I'll buy a bunch of singles to make a good force for him anyway.

The mega plays differently from the Ultra, I'm happy with the Ultra, honestly. 7 range blast with lightning attack is drat consistent, and teaming him with G1s and Rocket Choppers basically is a big rear end clock that your opponent will need to play through, and your side of the board is not the place to have that fight, since SS can heal.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Well, one of the stores near me has managed to get in over 1000 Confrontation METAL mini's in stock. gently caress knows where they got them from.
Aussie, and they are only selling them through the store not online. I may have to pick up 1 or 2.

http://realmoflegends.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45:rackham-miniatures&catid=28:may&Itemid=22

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KTS, what are they selling them for? I might be interested in some wolfen if you wouldnt mind sending them to the US

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Have a look at the link in my post, prices are in there as AUD. If there is anything specific let me know and I'll see if they still have stock, the store is probably an hour away so I wont go there without a reason.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah ok, Im dumb and missed the link. They got most of the stuff that no one wants, unfortunately. Kelts, chaos dwarves, etc

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I actually went out to the store today to pick up some malifaux stuff, the have 3 different wolfen models in stock I think, trackers & wolfen zombies. Let me know if you're after those and I can work something out.

These malifaux models are a lot more fiddly than I thought they'd be. Soft metal as well, so bendy. I'll have to be extra careful.

Ended up buying the Seamus box (Seamus, Madame Sybelle & 3 Rotten Belles) plus the copycat killer totem, and ordered a Bette Noir model online cause no stores had it. Now I just need to learn how to play, seeing as I put my name down for a tournament on the 11th this month.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

There was miniatures from a scifi game posted in one of the old 40K threads.... it was a heavy guy, pretty realistic, in a very dynamic pose with a minigun of some sort. He was painted yellow. Game is not in the OP of this thread..

Ring a bell with anyone?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is this what you were thinking of?

I seem to remember seeing pics of the sculpt painted, but can't find them now. I bet PV, guru of obscure mini games, will have it.

The game is Mercs.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Its on the Mercs site http://www.mercsminis.com/Products/01CCC/Heavy.php - the painter has a site too, so its probably on there bigger, somewhere: http://studiogiraldez.blogspot.com/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It was indeed. Thanks :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FYI hardcoil: I just started to carry the MERCS miniatures range at my store, I am receiving the first set of them on friday. I got a full set of both factions, the yellow jackets and kemvar.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

FYI hardcoil: I just started to carry the MERCS miniatures range at my store, I am receiving the first set of them on friday. I got a full set of both factions, the yellow jackets and kemvar.

Are they realistic 28mm scale? I'm in no position to buy from you (broke and in Europe) but they might be worth hunting down for use in Infinity if they look good. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ansob. posted:

Are they realistic 28mm scale? I'm in no position to buy from you (broke and in Europe) but they might be worth hunting down for use in Infinity if they look good. :v:

I think they are a touch larger than infinity. Sort of between infinity and 40k in terms of proportions.

However, I will have a much better answer for this tomorrow when I get them, Ill take some pics :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

However, I will have a much better answer for this tomorrow when I get them, Ill take some pics :)

Cheers dude, look forward to seeing them. The sculpts look pretty good from the website and definitely in keeping with Infinity's aesthetics.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, they are also painted by the same studio painter (angel hiraldez). The MERCS guys seem to be doing their thing the right way...releasing some cool models, writing a game that they are in beta on right now, and spending money on good artists and graphic design. Their site is pretty swish

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The mercs page already has a size comparison for stuff http://www.mercsminis.com/Scale.php

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that. From those pics, they look pretty similar to infinity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Still, it'll be good to have a size comparison shot with a PanO HI model and one of the regular LI ones. :3:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I've been looking into breaking into a skirmish wargame because I apparently don't blow enough of my money on nerd stuff. I want to try Infinity, but no one in my area plays it ( :qq: ) so it looks like I may have to play Malifaux if I want variety of competition. The only problem is that I can't really find a good description of the game.

What is the faction fluff?
What is this card mechanic I hear so much about?
How do the armies play out?
What kinds of special abilities do they have?

Stuff like that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ManMythLegend posted:

I've been looking into breaking into a skirmish wargame because I apparently don't blow enough of my money on nerd stuff. I want to try Infinity, but no one in my area plays it ( :qq: ) so it looks like I may have to play Malifaux if I want variety of competition. The only problem is that I can't really find a good description of the game.

Stuff like that.

The only thing I know about Malifaux is the minis are rad and there's no dice involved, everything is on the stat-card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Stuff like that.

Its fun as heck.

The faction fluff is probably better answered by their website and whatnot, but I can answer about the card mechanic:

You have what is basically a regular deck of cards (I assume in beta thats what they actually used) called a fate deck. THe cards are numbered 1-14. There are 2 jokers a red and a black.

Essentially, whenever you do anything in the game, you flip a card. If you want to alter the outcome of that, you can "cheat fate" by using a card out of your hand to change it. Both players can do this when there is a face to face flip, so there are pretty quick ways to drain your hand over the span of a turn.

Most models have a couple of abilities, and they are fairly synergistic with other faction members. They require a flip to work.

In addition to all of this, some abilities require a certain suite to work, so you have to flip the suite or cheat it.