Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

unixbeard posted:

do know the rules for students well enough to explain? i never got a good grasp on them, they seemed a bit intricate for my grasp of german.

No. I think it might depend on what area of Germany you're studying in. The information online is inconsistent. I also have no idea about, like, how realistic it is to get a job. I only know that legally the rules are different.

I wonder if I'd like Berlin. I'm leery of living in a place with a lot of artists cause most of the artists I've met are tedious jerkoffs, but I don't like living in small towns and Berlin is the cheapest big city in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
Berlin is the biggest city in Germany. There is a subculture there for anything you can imagine. You'll love it.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

I'll love it assuming I can get into a university there. Another year at my current rate of study will get me to the "proficient" (sufficient) language level, and I'm also about a year away from having a pile of money big enough to pay for everything. Berlin sounds competitive so I'm going to start looking at applications now, see if I can get on a waiting list conditional to passing the language test, etc.

Any advice for international student applications? All the info I can find online focuses around exchange student stuff and it doesn't help me. Maybe there is a lot of information available in other languages, but it seems really uncommon for English speakers to do a full degree in Germany.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009

Fasheem posted:

Any advice for international student applications? All the info I can find online focuses around exchange student stuff and it doesn't help me. Maybe there is a lot of information available in other languages, but it seems really uncommon for English speakers to do a full degree in Germany.

Most universities have a website with an International Students page, you could check those out. The application website, uni-assist, is also available in English. That's how I'm submitting my application.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Fasheem posted:

I wonder if I'd like Berlin. I'm leery of living in a place with a lot of artists cause most of the artists I've met are tedious jerkoffs, but I don't like living in small towns and Berlin is the cheapest big city in Germany.

Well I guess you'll see a lot of hipsters and tourists, but that depends on which part of the city you live in. If you want to live in a big city you pretty much only got Berlin as far as German choices go. Hamburg and München are tiny in comparison, and the Ruhrgebiet really doesn't feel like one continuous city. Believe me, if you go looking for big cities and go to Hamburg, you'll be disappointed. Walk 10-20 minutes in any direction and everything turns to suburbia.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Berlin is quite disjointed though, it's more like several smaller cities than one big one, it's a lot like the Ruhrgebiet that way. All that empty space in between is loving annoying and definitely doesn't make Berlin any more of a big city than Hamburg or Munich.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So...was weißt du über Kiel oder Wilhelmshaven?

Ich bin in der Marine und im December, villeicht, fahre ich nach Deutschland bei einem Personel Exchange Program. Ich bin dort für zwei Jahre auf einem Schiff, und ich weiß ganz nichts über Norddeutschland. Jetzt, lerne ich Deutsch erst 4 Monate und bis November. Ich möchte denken daß ich genug verstehe, aber ja.....das ist mein erstes Mal in Deutschland.

I'm sure it'll be a time and a half, but I have no experience with that area of Europe.

(And please tear the poo poo out of my grammar up there. I think I have it down enough to not be completely idiotic...minus idioms... but my vocabulary is horrible.)

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Ich bin in der Marine und im December, villeicht, fahre ich nach Deutschland bei einem Personel Exchange Program. Ich bin dort für zwei Jahre auf einem Schiff, und ich weiß ganz nichts über Norddeutschland. Jetzt, lerne ich Deutsch erst 4 Monate und bis November. Ich möchte denken daß ich genug verstehe, aber ja.....das ist mein erstes Mal in Deutschland.

I'm sure it'll be a time and a half, but I have no experience with that area of Europe.

(And please tear the poo poo out of my grammar up there. I think I have it down enough to not be completely idiotic...minus idioms... but my vocabulary is horrible.)

Kiel is the capital of the Land (like a state in in the US) of Schleswig-Holstein. It's quite a typical northern German mid sized city. Nothing really exciting to tell about, except that it has a long marine tradition (the Kieler Woche, a sailing event happens there), especially military marine tradition.

I don't really know anything about Wilihelmshaven except that it's a military and oil terminal port.

The German Navy is the smallest subset of the German military divisions by far, and is therefore said to have an especially strong sense of camaraderie. In fact, the number of applications far exceed the open positions, so it's quite hard to get in. I've never met anyone who spoke bad about their time in German Navy.

Your German is quite well, especially considering that you have only learned 4 months now.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

AlternateNu posted:

As DeusEx said. Kiel and Wilhelmshaven are typical (smallish) german cities. If you'll enjoy your stay will mainly depend on how far out of your comfort zone you are willing to go. I guess that you will hate it if you live like a barracks rat and stick to what and who you know. I don't know what your housing will be like, but if you can get housing off-base and dive into a (not sooooo different culture) you'll probably enjoy it more. That's obviously not really Kiel or Germany specific though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

elwood posted:

As DeusEx said. Kiel and Wilhelmshaven are typical (smallish) german cities. If you'll enjoy your stay will mainly depend on how far out of your comfort zone you are willing to go. I guess that you will hate it if you live like a barracks rat and stick to what and who you know. I don't know what your housing will be like, but if you can get housing off-base and dive into a (not sooooo different culture) you'll probably enjoy it more. That's obviously not really Kiel or Germany specific though.

Well. Lucky for me, I'll be getting a decent stipend to live out in town. And, as to not insult good 'ole Deutschland, I won't be bringing my Toyota with me, so I'll also be getting a car while I'm there. Probably new....not quite sure.

That brings me to my next question of.....what're the best things to look out for when buying a new car and getting an apartment out in town? I know there are a few extra requirements (medical kit and whatnot), but any tips would be great.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
You will lose quite a bit of money if you buy a new car. I don't think it would be worth it if you'll just stay for 2 years. Just buy a used one. To get an idea of whats available browse autoscout24.de and mobile.de. Most cars are manuals. Automatics come with a hefty premium.

As far as apartments go, usually apartments do not come furnished, nor with a kitchen or white goods. That might be a bit different close to a military base where people are short term renters.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Apartment_rental

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Uh, if by "white goods" you mean the crapper and related porcelain, they usually come with those. Also, most places (I've seen) had at least the following: crapper, shower, sink, stove.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Zwille posted:

Uh, if by "white goods" you mean the crapper and related porcelain, they usually come with those. Also, most places (I've seen) had at least the following: crapper, shower, sink, stove.

White goods: fridge, stove, washing machine, dryer

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektroger%C3%A4t#Wei.C3.9Fe_Ware

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/white%20goods

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ah, learn something new every day - well yeah, as I said, a stove usually is supplied with the flat, but I guess the guy who asked will see that himself when going flat hunting.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

drat, I just got schooled in English by a German. :/

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
How is the public transportation system in Kiel and Wilhelmshaven? I maybe wouldn't even buy a used car if public transportation is good. In Munich for example public transportation is fantastic an a car is unnecessary.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Clearly you've never tried PT (or ÖPNV as we call it) in Berlin - where people bitch when they have to wait 1 minute for a train.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Fasheem posted:

That's just a matter of finding the right district to live in. Berlin has lots of little communities and it's easy enough to avoid certain subcultures. For example I grew up in Neukoelln which is a blue collar district. Move a couple miles to the south or west and you get more white collar. Move north or east and you'll run into students and drug dealers ;)

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
This summer I'm doing a road trip around Germany and will be visiting every federal state. My question is, what are three things I HAVE to see?

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Default Settings posted:

This summer I'm doing a road trip around Germany and will be visiting every federal state. My question is, what are three things I HAVE to see?

Panorama view of the city from the Schlossbergturm in Freiburg.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
What is the difference between a pharmacy and an apotheke in Germany? If I'm looking for cosmetic beauty products, shampoo, toothpaste, anti-headache medicine, where do I go?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Tricolor posted:

What is the difference between a pharmacy and an apotheke in Germany? If I'm looking for cosmetic beauty products, shampoo, toothpaste, anti-headache medicine, where do I go?
A pharmacy is an Apotheke, but while you will get pretty much everything you want there, it's going to cost a ton of money, because Apotheken are mainly for medical products in Germany. I would look in a supermarket like "Real" first (not a discounter like ALDI). You should get everything there for much cheaper and with a bigger selection, maybe even the anti-headache medicine (I think you can get Aspirin there).

Default Settings posted:

I would visit Flensburg in Schleswig-Holstein, which is a beautiful, small city at the eastern sea (or how it's called). Make sure to have a "Helgoländer" at Die Bärenhöhle (Bear Cave), which is some kind of traditional shot thing, which is chased with a Flensburger Beer. You will feel totally out of place in this pub, if you're not a hardened seaman, but I think that's the charme of this place. Plus, the owner is a really funny lady. Also, if they haven't changed it, the only music you'll get there will be from an old jukebox that you will have to feed yourself with coins :haw:

Also Hamburg's Reeperbahn on a Friday or Saturday night is a must.

Third, you could either visit Berlin, Munich or Cologne, which all have their big-city attractions.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 29, 2010

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Liface posted:

If you go to Munich when you're in Bavaria, pop up to Regensburg while you're there. Its the biggest city that wasnt bombed flat by the British in WW2, so is totally different from any of the more modern ones.

Actually if you're looking for nice cities to look at, check out this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=674434

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

FLX posted:

A pharmacy is an Apotheke, but while you will get pretty much everything you want there, it's going to cost a ton of money, because Apotheken are mainly for medical products in Germany. I would look in a supermarket like "Real" first (not a discounter like ALDI). You should get everything there for much cheaper and with a bigger selection, maybe even the anti-headache medicine (I think you can get Aspirin there).

I would try Schlecker, DM or Rossmann. As far as Aspirin and other medicine is concerned, even if it's only harmless painkillers, I think the Apotheke ist still your only choice. They are sold over the counter without prescription.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

FLX posted:

Also Hamburg's Reeperbahn on a Friday or Saturday night is a must.

Third, you could either visit Berlin, Munich or Cologne, which all have their big-city attractions.

Default Settings, I think if you're doing a huge (by German standards anyway) road trip, you should visit each of those cities as well as Flensburg. Also some cities in east Germany couldn't hurt either, like Leipzig or Dresden. Where will you be starting off, anyway, and how much ground do you hope to cover in how much time?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Pharmacy = Apotheke (over the counter and prescription stuff)
Drug store = Drogerie (shampoo, toothpaste, some OTC)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, but there isn't really much useful OTC stuff at a drug store except for very mild stuff like cough drops and band-aids. And herbal remedies, of course. They don't even have any good OTC painkillers.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Zwille posted:

Default Settings, I think if you're doing a huge (by German standards anyway) road trip, you should visit each of those cities as well as Flensburg. Also some cities in east Germany couldn't hurt either, like Leipzig or Dresden. Where will you be starting off, anyway, and how much ground do you hope to cover in how much time?
I've been intentionally vague to get some wild suggestion (thanks!).
the rough route is as following:

From Austria: Passau - Regensburg - Nürnberg - Rothenburg o.d. Tauber - Ronneburg/Büdingen/Glauberg - Fulda - Eisenach - Freyburg a.d. Unstrut - Magdeburg - Berlin - Lübeck - Kiel - Schleswig - St. Peter Ordning - Hamburg - Osnabrück - Detmold - Düsseldorf - Köln - Koblenz - Bingen - Bingen - Speyer - Kempten - back to Austria

We'll take 19 days, according to the route planner this will be an average 3 hours of driving per day, including some days at the Wacken Open Air (sorry about my taste in music).

THE_Chris posted:

...Regensburg while you're there. Its the biggest city that wasnt bombed flat by the British in WW2, so is totally different from any of the more modern ones.
I'm alreay miffed that I have to leave out Bamberg - Many stations along the route are because of my interest in old architecture and history in general.

FLX posted:

I would visit Flensburg in Schleswig-Holstein, which is a beautiful, small city at the eastern sea (or how it's called).
The only thing I know about Flensburg is that the registry of traffic offenders is there. But since several of you guys suggested it and it's not that for off our route we will have a look, thank you!

Liface posted:

That sounds like a great place, is it possible to se Neuf-Brisach from up there?

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Default Settings posted:

That sounds like a great place, is it possible to se Neuf-Brisach from up there?

No, it's not all that high up. Neuf-Brisach is about 35km away from Freiburg. Although there are some awesome mountains all around the city in the Black Forest that afford even better views. And the trails are all marked as well!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Default Settings posted:

Detmold - Düsseldorf

Hermannsdenkmal and Externsteine

Wewelsburg*

Should both be good to waste an hour or so.

*aka Castle Wolfenstein

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 30, 2010

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Koblenz

Skip Koblenz and go to Ahrweiler (and the Government Bunker) and Mainz instead.

Edit: Why in the world would you want to visit Osnabrück? I used to live there and loved it but there's nothing there to see at all. At least go to Münster.
Also, you should include some place in the Ruhrpott in your itinerary. No, Köln and Düsseldorf don't count.
And if you're in the area anyway (Bingen), see the Niederwalddenkmal.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 30, 2010

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Previously on GBS posted:

Skip Koblenz and go to Ahrweiler (and the Government Bunker) and Mainz instead.
Ah, that is a good suggestion, thank you! But why Mainz?

quote:

Edit: Why in the world would you want to visit Osnabrück?
To visit some friends.

quote:

Also, you should include some place in the Ruhrpott in your itinerary. No, Köln and Düsseldorf don't count.
It's possible that we visit the Zeche Zollern in Dortmund. Aside from the industry, is there anything to the Ruhrpott I missed?

quote:

see the Niederwalddenkmal.

elwood posted:

Hermannsdenkmal and
Externsteine
They are already fix points on my tour because of my penchant for pathos-laden 19th century monuments. One of the first stops will be at Walhalla.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I like Duisburg a lot, mainly for the Ruhr (or was it Rhein?) stuff there. I think the harbors and protective dykes and whatnot are really neat, even though they're not that special. I guess it's like Hamburg but a lot less touristy (and much much smaller but still pretty industrial). I dunno what it's exactly that I like about it, but it's the only other city in Germany besides Berlin and Leipzig that I really like.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I always like the Dom in Cologne. If you're in Berlin this thing was kinda cool http://berliner-unterwelten.de/tour-2.14.1.html

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, the Humboldthain Flak towers (mainly the one to the west) nearby the Unterwelten also give you a nice view of the city but you better expect to strain your neck quite a bit to see Mitte.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 30, 2010

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Default Settings posted:

If you somehow find yourself near Paderborn around noon on a weekday, I would invite you to lunch. We could follow the ancient goon tradition of awkward conversations and/or silent stares over something to eat.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

elwood posted:

Should both be good to waste an hour or so.
*aka Castle Wolfenstein

If you do end up going to the Wewelsburg make sure you get a tour guide to take you to the crypta. It's usually locked and has an awesome echo chamber if you stand right in the center of it.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Ah, that is a good suggestion, thank you! But why Mainz?
Chagall Window's, Wine!, Gutenberg (and the Gutenberg museum), Lots of cool old Roman stuff, The Republic of Mainz, Mainz Cathedral

Default Settings posted:

It's possible that we visit the Zeche Zollern in Dortmund. Aside from the industry, is there anything to the Ruhrpott I missed?
I don't think so. But it's the largest urban area in Germany and it's quite significant historically so I think you shouldn't skip it if you really want to experience Germany. I've never been there but I really want to go to Zeche Zollverein in Essen.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2010

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Thibaw: Sorry for hijacking your thread for travel planning, I hope it still is enjoyable and maybe even useful for other people visiting Germany.

I originally wanted to avoid the Wewelsburg since it's essentially a 19th/20th century building and I didn't want to fall for a NS-themed tourist trap. But it is probably interesting to see how the SS imagined an ideal castle to be, and you guys make it sound like an interesting place even for people that aren't Third Reich fetishists.

unixbeard posted:

I always like the Dom in Cologne. If you're in Berlin this thing was kinda cool http://berliner-unterwelten.de/tour-2.14.1.html
Awesome, I only vagueley remembered reading about the "Unterwelten" quite some time ago and have been looking for that link.
There is no way I can drive past the Dom in Cologne, the prime example of gothic architecture. I also have to find out if the "Kölsch" Bier really is that good.

Allright, that are some good reasons. And I may have to decide between Zeche Zollern and Zeche Zollverein, thank you.

elwood posted:

If you somehow find yourself near Paderborn around noon on a weekday, I would invite you to lunch. We could follow the ancient goon tradition of awkward conversations and/or silent stares over something to eat.
Sure, that would be great! And if it's only to completely alienate my travel companion. I actually intendend to ask around in this thread if somebody fancies to meet up for a beer (Anybody else?). I can't tell you the day right away but it will be there some day in the second week of August. Just shoot me an E-mail to def.settings@gmail.com