Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Holy crap, it's the real-life serious version of the ridiculous Americanized bike from the Vietnam Top Gear episode.

Edit: And I can't upload a pic of it for the life of me.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

tonelok posted:

From the links you sent, that's a pretty customized motorcycle, which I wouldn't think somebody would do unless they were planning on taking it back with them. If you were just going to buy a motorcycle too use on the weekends or to get around while you were stationed or working there, it doesn't seem logical to sink a lot of money into customizing it, unless you thought you could easily get it back to the states.

No worries--I enjoy photo sleuthing, old bikes, and nice legs. You're right, it would take gold cajones to ride it anywhere in Vietnam back then. Shame they came so close to getting a shot of the license plate. Does ANYONE ever take 3/4 shots of a bike? He was resourceful and had access to more than that ratchet. I don't think there are any mail order bolt-ons here, so there's probably more sweat equity than cash sitting here.

Having spent a year in Korea, I have a pretty good idea when it's safe to say Anyong Haseyo and when it isn't. I'm not getting a Korea vibe here. You could always go straight to the source or close to it and ask, but you never know if you're opening old wounds or revealing secrets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

aventari posted:

that's me :shobon:

Well then my theory holds true!!!

I was thinking what are the chances that a goon has a random neighbor who wears DIVX shirts, and ISNT already a goon?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tonelok posted:

Thanks for the info (and thanks blugu64). That's a great start.

Another pic - the windows are all taped up:

Click here for the full 1264x1176 image.

I don't think that she or the Asian guy are Japanese, and that area doesn't look very Japanese. Then again, not everyone in Japan is Japanese, and I haven't seen every back-yard in Japan either.

Echoing marv - if you can get even a partial of the place it might solve it. Actually, I'd just post the rest of the pics - maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Doctor Zero posted:

Echoing marv - if you can get even a partial of the place it might solve it. Actually, I'd just post the rest of the pics - maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.
I'll get the rest scanned tomorrow, and do a better job on the originals.

Here's the one I posted showing he's a goon ancestor thanks to the gut :v: (but he's got a cutie with him so...)

Click here for the full 1245x1015 image.

This one actually had a lot of potential because you can see a little more architecture in the background, plus whatever he is reading, but the lighting was bad (or the camera). The magazine is hard to make out - bad lighting, plus it's kind of in the shadow and curved because of how he's holding it. I'm going to try to get a better scan, but I'm doubtful.

Click here for the full 1975x1698 image.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

tonelok posted:

I'll get the rest scanned tomorrow, and do a better job on the originals.

Paraphrasing, but you get the idea:

Marv: Marusho - great design, beautiful bikes, dunno why they kept going under...

Crayvex: Look, they named a motorcycle after A FLOWER, OKAY???

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
$35,000 gets you a working, running, street-legal Tron Lightcycle.

http://gizmodo.com/5575554/important-street%20legal-tron-lightcycles-are-now-up-for-auction

Anyone want a kidney?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My money is on Okinawa for those old pics

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Appears to be a copy of "Off Duty" magazine, which rings half a bell to me as an MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) rag for promoting activities, facilities, tourism, etc. Things to do when you're, ahem, off duty. Which would place our boy in or around a military base, which is still not much help as he could have been in all of the above-mentioned countries.

Oh, and the more I look at that Lilac, the more I want one.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tsaven Nava posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5575554/important-street%20legal-tron-lightcycles-are-now-up-for-auction

Anyone want a kidney?

I would ride the hell out of this(in my matching tron leathers, of course)

http://www.udreplicas.com/news/tron-legacy/

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

is that a bimota with lowered shocks

It's clearly a Kawamotabusa Y23DK. *scoff*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Anyone want a kidney?

Too bad it wouldn't match your batman suit.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Too bad it wouldn't match your batman suit.

You see that the same company also made a running, functional replica of the Bat-Pod? :(

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

You see that the same company also made a running, functional replica of the Bat-Pod? :(
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=124#post378993202

I knew you'd be talking about both of those...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tsaven Nava posted:

Anyone want a kidney?

that would be undeniably awesome if it works, but i'm totally unimpressed by that auction page. engineering a thing like that to actually work would be a real trick, and they give virtually 0 info on how it's designed. they don't even have a picture of a person sitting on it. i presume it's not bullshit because they've apparently made other real poo poo before, but it sure looks like a very poorly written scam.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I like how they expect you to drop $35K and they dont even show the bike, just promo shots of a non-functional bike that Disney built for some Tron display.

OH AND ALSO WE MADE THE BATPOD

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010
:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Sorry the pics so large,but a thumbnail wouldn't have done it justice!
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/08/25/allen-millyard-builds-a-viper-v10-motorcycle/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Every time I see that thing all I can think is how quickly my knees would simply melt into little puddles

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just think about how quickly I could loop it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Spiffness posted:

Every time I see that thing all I can think is how quickly my knees would simply melt into little puddles

I see a heat guard. You'd be fine!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just love how it nearly tilts over when he fires it up :allears:

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I just love how it nearly tilts over when he fires it up :allears:

Ha yeah I missed that.
I love the fact that someone was mad enough to do 207 mph on it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUrIwA9jVE

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The two-calipers-on-one-disc brake setup doesn't seem like the most optimal choice for slowing a bike that big down from 200+ either.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Best place to hide a bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Jaz posted:

Best place to hide a bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE

Now I'm gay but I still like motorcycles.

Do I buy a Harley?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
This is how hot it was in the pits at Barber this weekend.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

LeftyChris posted:

Ha yeah I missed that.
I love the fact that someone was mad enough to do 207 mph on it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUrIwA9jVE

If I had to do 207 on a bike, you can bet it would be something huge, fat and stable like that V10 bike instead of a normal 'busa or ZX14.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OHSHITOHSHITOHSHI...:woop:

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Slim Pickens posted:

OHSHITOHSHITOHSHI...:woop:

Wha...? Well I certainly hope he does better than Capi. I got kinda bored after a season and a half or so of the 800s, and haven't been watching as much, but I gotta see the Mugello race this season if thats true.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be until next season when his contract with yamaha runs out, and who knows how reliable the "inside source" is, but I'm still stoked as hell.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He should retire riding Italian, and this gives Lorenzo more spotlight at Yamaha which he has earned, and Spies... oh god. Let it be true.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Yeah its def exciting news. So in 2011 the best italian rider on the best itallian manufacturer, then in 2012 gp goes back to 1000s right? Shaping up to be quite a spectacle.

Wasn't spies a GP wildcard recently? I didn't really hear much about it, did he do well? Guess I gotta check that out too.

Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Bitter, on-the-run cop seeks femme fatale hitwoman for fiery, bullet-riddled romance. Must enjoy long walks through construction sites, high-caliber h

Marv Hushman posted:

Appears to be a copy of "Off Duty" magazine, which rings half a bell to me as an MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) rag for promoting activities, facilities, tourism, etc. Things to do when you're, ahem, off duty. Which would place our boy in or around a military base, which is still not much help as he could have been in all of the above-mentioned countries.

There's a sign or placard on the gate behind him the first part of which reads "All". Alley? Not sure what languages besides English, German and French have "all" as a word component. Probably not helpful, but since no one else mentioned it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xlyfindel posted:

Yeah its def exciting news. So in 2011 the best italian rider on the best itallian manufacturer, then in 2012 gp goes back to 1000s right? Shaping up to be quite a spectacle.

Wasn't spies a GP wildcard recently? I didn't really hear much about it, did he do well? Guess I gotta check that out too.

A wildcard? Spies is on a Yamaha satellite team this year in MotoGP.

Edit: Are you actually living in 2009 right now?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 1, 2010

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
MCN is a piece of poo poo that is notorious for making up stories when they can't find anything better to print that week and attributing quotes to non-existant people.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Slim Pickens posted:

A wildcard? Spies is on a Yamaha satellite team this year in MotoGP.

Edit: Are you actually living in 2009 right now?

Heh kind of, yeah. Like i said my interest in it kinda trailed off... I used to watch every race, but now I only occasionally check podium results, factory standings, and whatever sensationalist vids pop up. Though Spies is not doing bad at all now that I see the full race results, old news I guess, lol. I'll have to make some time and actually watch a couple.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Insane 2500km Borneo expedition:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xlyfindel posted:

Yeah its def exciting news. So in 2011 the best italian rider on the best itallian manufacturer,
Nah, he's riding Ducati not Aprilia. :smug:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best Italian MotoGP manufacturer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ranathari posted:

MCN is a piece of poo poo that is notorious for making up stories when they can't find anything better to print that week and attributing quotes to non-existant people.

This. But hey...it'd be neat none the less.